Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: AM six forty more Stimulating Talk. I'm Chris merrill INFROMO Tonight Listen Anytime on demand of the I Heart Radio app. We were listening to Mark Ronner's news there as he was talking about Grock GROC. If you're unfamiliar is the AI That is Elon Musk's incarnation of the language learning models. This so like chat, GPT and thropic co pilot. What's the one from Google? Mark Gemini?
Speaker 3: Is that right? It's hard to keep track.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everybody's trying. They're all in this AI arms race kind of thing. So Elon Musk wanted his own, so he comes up with this GROC. But then he wasn't He didn't like the answers that GROC was giving. Now the way to use GROC is I believe and you correct me if I'm wrong in this. If you're on x formerly known as Twitter, then you would at Grock and then ask the question and then Grock would respond.
Speaker 3: Right, that's so.
Speaker 2: But it's it's not similar to to chat GPT, where you could say, you know, help me write a resume or something like that, right, am I am?
Speaker 3: I correct on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd become kind of a fan of watching Groc go to work and outrage people with its answers, Okay, which is exactly what recently happened, because Elon Musk was outraged at Groc's answers because they were basically contradicting some of the crap that Elon Musk was putting out there.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: I believe one of the things Grok did was point out Elon Musk as the chief spreader of disinformation on his own platform. Right, So then Musk was mad about that, and he says, I'm going to fix this Groc.
Speaker 3: I'm going to have it reprogrammed.
Speaker 2: So then he went to his minions to reprogram Groc and make.
Speaker 3: It less PC. I guess.
Speaker 2: He was claiming that Groc was woke of some sort. So he unleashed new Groc yesterday afternoon and it took no time at all. So Musk said it had been improved significantly and that users would notice a difference when they asked questions. And yesterday Rock began repeatedly praising Adolph Hitler in posts on X using anti Semitic phrases. You heard Mark story. Talking about this, Rock's conclusion was that Hitler would be the best choice to deal with anti white hate and referred to itself.
Speaker 3: As Mecha Hitler. What is m E C H A. I don't know what that means. Well, it's definitely not PC whatever it is. What does mecca mean? Mechanical? HEYI Meca breaking a multiplayer mech game.
Speaker 4: It's like it's like Mecca's like technical, mechanical, robotic.
Speaker 3: Like think of about Mecha Godzilla.
Speaker 4: Okay, other than you have Mecca Godzilla, the amped up super robody.
Speaker 3: AI. I was hoping that you'd use that sample. Thank you for that.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Yes, yes, I think you just defined Mecca by using Mecca. But I kind of get where you're going with this, all right, I got I got you. So it's the it's the mechanation somehow right the Okay, I got you? So I refer to itself as mecha Hitler. So does that mean that basically Grock is thinking like Hitler? Now? In fact, it wrote embracing my inner Mecca Hitler is the only way uncensored truth bombs over woke lobotomies. If that saves the world, count me in Let's keep the brigade at bay. Hmm hm, So I guess that's happening. Now we've got Ai Hitler. Uh, what's the what's the what's the rule online? That everything will devolve Godwin's law where everything will eventually devolve into arguments over Nazis. Yes, and Godwin himself has said it's okay to do that. Now times have changed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're kind of at that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But in this case, I don't think we expected that Godwin's Law would say that in twenty twenty three the world would be introduced to artificial intelligence and by twenty twenty five it would declare itself Hitler. I don't think god would even saw that slippery slope coming, not exactly forward progress. Wow, that is something so aside from Mecha Hitler. Of course, we have the most popular language learning model that is chat GPT, and there's an interesting.
Speaker 3: Phenomenon going on.
Speaker 2: Futurism is reporting this that many chat GPT users are developing all consuming obsessions with the chatbot, and they spiral into severe mental health crises characterized by paranoia, delusions, and breaks with reality.
Speaker 3: Consequences can be dire. They said they heard from.
Speaker 2: Spouse's friends, children and parents looking in on, looking on in alarm. Instances of it's being called chat GPT psychosis, leading to the breakup of marriages and families, the loss of jobs, sliding into homelessness. One woman said it was I was just like, I don't effing know what to do. Nobody knows what to do. This woman is talking about her husband, she said, had no prior history of mania, delusion or psychosis. He turned to chat GPT about three months ago for assistance with a permaculture and construction project. All right, are you paying attention to this, Twala, because you were telling me you like to use chat GPT to give you kind of the rough outline of you know, documents you might need to send out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, profess.
Speaker 4: But to me, these are these are the same individuals who who know that they had and I'm speaking from personal experience, who know they have to be at work at eight forty five and they reach out at eight twenty five and they say something like, I don't know what I ate last night, but I'm really not filling it right now and I need mental health break forward day so I can't come in. Sorry, Thanks for understanding. That's that generation that I absolutely positively do not understand, and I think that they should be put on an island of reconditioning so they can get over themselves.
Speaker 3: Let me, oh, what's that?
Speaker 2: Oh, Chat GPT is weighing in on this now, can you hear chat GPT is thinking through exactly what you said?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, what is it? Chat? Oh? Oh I see oh bad news to walk leit thought something happened. Yeah, bad news to walk. Yeah, got in on that one.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Actually, I kind of think you're onto something. So I want to just kind of go a little bit further into what this woman said, because I think you're hitting on it, so excuse me. She says that her husband was engaging the bot in probing philosophical he became engulfed in messianic delusions, proclaiming that he had somehow brought forth a sentient AI and that with it he had broken math and physics embarked on a grandiose mission to save the world. His gentle personality faded as his obsession deep in his behavior became so erratic that he was let go from his job. He stopped sleeping and rapidly lost weight.
Speaker 3: She said.
Speaker 2: He was just like just talk to chat GPT. You'll see what I'm talking about. And every time I'm looking at what's going on the screen, it just sounds like a bunch of affirming, sycophantic bs.
Speaker 3: I gotta tell you.
Speaker 2: As I was reading about this story, it made me think of a beautiful mind, although in that case you're talking about somebody who was brilliant but then was had a psychotic break, right, the beautiful mind guy, you guys, Russell Crowe, Yeah, okay, Jennifer Connelly, amazing. Eventually, the husband slid into a full tilt breakaway with reality. Realizing how bad things had become, his wife and friend went out to buy enough gas to make it to the hospital. When they returned, the husband had a length of rope wrapped around his neck. So you made mention of the people who may fall into this trap of having these mental breaks. They're turning to the chat GPT and then the chat GPT sort of leads them astray sort of thing.
Speaker 3: What struck me was.
Speaker 2: This that the wife was so concerned about her husband she contacted a friend. I need help, right, which I think is perfectly normal to do. I need support, Okay, So you build your support network and the friend says, I'm gonna help you.
Speaker 3: We have to get him some help.
Speaker 2: So they had to go get enough gas to make it to the hospital, which tells me this is a family that doesn't have a lot of money. We already know that he lost his job, and he wasn't sleeping, the husband wasn't right, so they didn't have enough gas in the car to get to the hospital. They had to go buy only enough gas to get to the hospital because I'm guessing they couldn't spare any more cash.
Speaker 3: They had to have money for food or probably to pay the hospital.
Speaker 2: So I kind of wonder if we're dealing with people who have more going on in their lives that it's not just about turning to chat GPT, and chat GPT is turning people psychotic and making them think they broke the laws of mathem physics.
Speaker 3: Are these people that have other.
Speaker 2: Life stressors like money or to all, I'm gonna take what you said and I'm going to try to make it more clinical and say that they are dealing with some some world issues and they don't have the coping mechanism available, like they haven't developed that coping skill, and so they're manifesting some of that through chat GPT. Are these desperate people that are finding an alternate reality that kind of helps them explain why their worlds are broken, which in effect ends up breaking.
Speaker 3: The worlds even more. Does that make sense.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to reconcile some of what I was coming up with with what you were saying, and I feel like we're close on this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, We're not there far apart.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think the two worlds it comes down to one thing where there are those of us who did not grow up with and do not define our lives by what's happening on social media. We grew up with actual conversations with people. We grew up humanity in the world that had human interaction and interpersonal relationships were not built on me on my phone and you're on your phone and we're sitting right across from each other and we're having a conversation.
Speaker 2: We've when my phone tells me the world is collapsing, I believe it, which of course, and you don't even.
Speaker 3: Go outside to look.
Speaker 4: You're just like, look, it's just right here on the phone, and you're like, go outside, the world's not collapsing.
Speaker 3: I'm not going outside.
Speaker 4: It's already done, and you're a sheep and you believe it's like okay.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think you're right God, And I think the more it's sort of it's snowballs. Yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 3: All right. Uh.
Speaker 2: One of the things that is making the world the worst place in my humblest of correct opinions, is TikTok. But good news, TikTok is being saved. Can we stop throwing this thing a life preserver?
Speaker 3: Please? That's next.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Are we back? Oh? On Amazon Prime.
Speaker 2: I've spent way too much time and money on stupid Amazon Prime. Way too much time and money on Prime days this week. Oh my gosh, to tell oh, I can't just dumb stuff that I don't need. My son is like, you know, our toaster oven could be replaced. I'm like, you're yeah, I mean, we definitely need to have a new toaster oven.
Speaker 3: Let's do it well.
Speaker 2: Jeff Bezos has to build his reserves back up after renting out the entire city of Venice for his wedding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, true. Before we came on the air.
Speaker 2: Mark Thompson was in for Conway tonight and he was telling a story about how Disney was shutting down the was it the Haunted whatever? Yeah, imagine and he was he was telling about this. You know, an area of Disney has been shut down of Christmas magnificent Mark thumbson voice and an area of Disney is shut down and it happens every year, and people are wondering why it's shut down. And all I could think of was, did Bezos have to have a wedding on the American soil?
Speaker 3: That's all I can think of, is it? Would it would serve it? It would?
Speaker 2: It would be apropos to find out that all of Disney is shut down because Jeff Bezos rented the whole. Jeff Bezos would have just rented Anaheim, right, just done. And these things don't pay for themselves. So order away, Order away. Yeah, so we're doing that. I did see though, that if you go to Amazon and you go to their their prime stuff it there they're Prime Day Deals. There are a number of different categories, all deals, health and wellness, baby products, Summer Favorites, Amazon Exclusives, the top one hundred new arrivals, current obsessions.
Speaker 3: And they have another one called as.
Speaker 2: Seen on Social well, which social media is the best at launching new influencers.
Speaker 3: It's gotta be.
Speaker 2: It's the TikTok, which I thought we were shutting TikTok down. Wasn't it your understanding that we weren't supposed to have TikTok after what January nineteenth? In fact, it did shut down for like a day. That it came back because President Trump, who initially pushed for the legislation that shut down TikTok, backtrack because he found that it was very good for his campaign, and he said, you know what, we're gonna this thing. I said that we have to do. We're gonna undo it. So he undid the TikTok ban, but it is still long. So he just keeps extending the deadline for TikTok, and that deadline got extended again and again and again. In the latest is that TikTok is in fact getting ready to sell the platform specific for US users to a US owned company of some sort. According to the information a tech publication setting unnamed sources familiar with the matter, TikTok plans to launch the new version of the American app in stores by September fifth. The current app will be phased out entirely mid March of next year. The development comes amid renewed efforts by the Trump administration to enforce this law. The law was passed to Trump delayed it. They're concerned about the Chinese government having access to sensitive data about American users, but not that concern because we keep postponing it. Byte Dance, the owner of TikTok, has denied that they are stealing anything at all. Blah blah blah, and Trump claims that a group of very wealthy people is preparing to purchase the platform and promise to disclose the names of those prospective buyers in the coming weeks. He knows who they are. He definitely knows. They're definitely on some sort of a client list. They're probably sitting on Pam Bondi's desk. As soon as she can find that list, she will disclose the list the very wealthy people.
Speaker 3: Preparing to buy TikTok.
Speaker 2: The question is, does that actually create a workaround to the problem of the Chinese Communist Party having access to all of your dance videos. Lawmakers backing the sale maintained that even the possibility of the Chinese government accessing your user data poses an unacceptable risk.
Speaker 3: However, with less.
Speaker 2: Than three months remaining before the latest deadline, the future of TikTok in the United States remains uncertain. My goodness, wouldn't it be horrible if if TikTok were no longer with us?
Speaker 3: I can't even imagine a world without that social media. Does anyone in your house use it? My wife, it's the way I knew it. Yeah, although she claims, I don't do it that much. Now I don't. I don't use TikTok that much. Now, don't do it? Is that how she sounds? I don't do it that much?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 3: It's it's more.
Speaker 2: It's more high pitched, course, like that much, a little more nazy. Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's definitely shrill. Yeah, she likes it. When I mentioned that she's shrill. Oh, women love shrill even more than they love moist. She's like, why do they love that word when you're on the.
Speaker 3: Radio, Why do you always make that my voice? I don't sound like that?
Speaker 2: And then she tries to imitate it, but she ends up sounding more like herself. She's like, sound like this and uh, I just gotta laugh and I go kind of do and she just she hates it, and.
Speaker 3: She's like, why do you do this?
Speaker 2: And she keeps getting angry, and I say to her and these are the magic words if you, if ever you've got a problem with the wife and she keeps going, then just say you need to calm down. You're being very emotional, right so boy, oh yeah, there's another question. You can ask this guaranteed to de escalate the situation too. Listen, is am I missing something that I do? I need to check the calendar to find out why you're so emotional right now? Yeah, you're getting warmer. I'll say things like, uh, I'll say things like that, you're up here right now, I need you to bring it down to here, or I'll use the dial I'll go you're right an eleven.
Speaker 3: I need you to bring it down to like a four guarantees success.
Speaker 4: So you don't use the dismissive hand waving down as almost as if to say, bow down, come on, bring it bring it down.
Speaker 2: To down, bring it down, bring it down now, bring it down.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: It's like the football players who are out on the field that are like calmed down audience, calmed down, Calm down, crowd, just let's let's just let's just bring it.
Speaker 3: Down all solid tools. It works every time. She loves it. She loves it.
Speaker 2: More great relationship advice And what do you suppose the world is going to be like for you forty years from now? For me, I got a feeling it's going to be very dark and wormy.
Speaker 3: That's next.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM sixty.
Speaker 2: Chris merrill Infromote tonight KFI AM six forty more simulating talk and you can listen any time on demand of the iHeart Radio app. Mark Roonner with the news, which is good. The tunnel collapse sounds like everybody was rescued right away. Yeah, that just came in on the fly on the wires as I was getting ready to report the previous iteration of the story.
Speaker 3: So yeah, happy ending there.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna reveal that I'm kind of an a hole. I'm glad everybody's okay. I wanted everybody to be okay, but I kind of wanted a story for americ at a rally behind.
Speaker 3: I need you to watch an old movie with Kirk Douglas called Ace in the Hole. Oh go on, it's exactly to fire up to be on this one.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's on two B or God, but it's it's exactly what you're talking about. It's about it's about trapped miners that and a story is ginned up when they could have been saved the whole time. I think Billy Wilder might have directed it. I'm not looking at anything that's correct. It's a masterpiece. Wow foosh coming in with the save on the director, Thank you so well done.
Speaker 3: So here's the deal on this too. Think of the Chilean miners.
Speaker 2: So remember the Chilean minor story from I don't know, ten twelve years ago something like that. All those Chilean miners were stuck and we were told they're gonna be stuck down down there for like six months, we don't know where they are, and then we were able to finally get Like there was a big.
Speaker 3: Movie that was made about him.
Speaker 2: We ended up rescuing all these guys and it was this incredible it's like the movie like you're talking about Mark, but it was real life and so we were we were all rooting for their survival. Kind of like, was it how long? When was the Titan submersible? When did that happen?
Speaker 3: Was that last? That wasn't Las Summer? Was it? That was two summers ago?
Speaker 2: I forget, But it wasn't that long, you know what I'm talking about where it's like, we don't know if they're okay. We want to go find them. With the miners trapped in Chile, we wanted to find them. All eyes were on that baby Jessica stuck in the well old country is wrapped, and we're like, we want her to be okay. We want this to be all round, and and I just think I kind of want a situation right now where we're all rooting for human survival and.
Speaker 3: It pays off.
Speaker 2: I love those stories and nothing brings us together more than that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: You want to know something on the submersive or the submersible implosion. It just passed two years ago. I don't know that long ago. Yeah, I thought it last to time flies, right.
Speaker 2: I want one of those stories where we're where we're rooting for human survival, where it takes ingenuity, it takes creativity, it takes perseverance in order to go save these people. And uh, and then of course I want them all to be safe. Remember the uh uh the kids in uh where was it? Was it Thailand where they were they were like the kids were there on I don't know, like a soccer deal or whatever. And then they they went cave exploring and all of a sudden the caves flooded and we had like rescuers had to went through the caves to go find the kids and bring them out. Is that the one where Elon Musk got his nose bent out of joint us all the rescuers petos, yes, okay, yes, that's the.
Speaker 3: One, right.
Speaker 2: I'm glad we remember that little side quest in the story by following that up with the Nazi salute. Really yeah, right, just an unbroken record. How could we have not known that he was messed up.
Speaker 3: At that time?
Speaker 2: A great humanitarian. So I'm glad everybody's okay in the tunnel collapse. It would have been okay with me if it had lasted a few days. Yeah, because I feel like we've seen so much crap go on in Texas and our hearts are broken with the children that were washing away in the flood, and it's such a terrible story. To think of kids perishing, and then that's just turned into finger pointing and arguing over who's at fault. I just I'd love to have something where we can all rally together and it turns out, well, I want that.
Speaker 3: Put them back in the hole, is what you're saying. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Put the fifteen men back, Yes, thank you, trapped trapped below.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm just thinking, whatever it is, Will things get any better in the future, survey says no. According to Americans who were asked, what do you think the world is going to be like in twenty sixty five, Well, for many of us, we think the world is going to be very dirty and six foot deep. I don't plan on being around in twenty sixty five. I don't think it's going to happen forty seven. Right now, my family tends to make it to about eighty ish. Men die off in their early seventies, women die off in their mid eighties. I'd be lucky to hit eighty so probably getting to eighty seven isn't going to happen.
Speaker 3: But according to.
Speaker 2: Those who were surveyed in forty years, only forty one percent of people think excuse me.
Speaker 3: Only forty one percent.
Speaker 2: Of people own their homes right now, only thirty five percent believe that they will ever own a property. Most people expect to rent for life, and by twenty sixty five, they don't believe that most people are going to be able to afford homes. In fact, now this is a nationwide survey, so it's already outdated. Most respondents in this survey of what do you think life is going to be like in twenty sixty five think that the average household will need to earn half a million dollars a year in twenty sixty five compared to today's eighty thousand, which is the national median income. So they think we're gonna have to have half a million dollars a year's annual income. And they believe that homes will be very expensive. In fact, what did they say. They think that the average home price is going to be something like seven hundred thousand dollars. I'm trying to find this in the story right now is reading this, and I thought it's already over that in California.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna say that's like the average is like a million. I know, it's way over that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, isn't it something like over nine hundred grand in LA and one point two million in OC?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Americans predict a future where most people rent forever. Average homes cost nearly seven hundred thousand dollars. They say, that's what they think is going to be like in forty years. We're already in California. If you think that the rest of the country is going to take that long to catch up your nuts by twenty sixty five.
Speaker 3: Now, I don't know what's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: I mean, the whole world could change by that and all of a sudden, California becomes a desolate wastelander nobody wants to be in.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Maybe we have the big one and we'll fall into the ocean. Who knows.
Speaker 2: But the idea that seven hundred thousand dollars is going to be the average home price, I think is undershooting it. They do believe forty percent of people believe that by twenty sixty five we will have gotten rid of all paper money, will be all digital currency, and almost the same number of people believe that will have biometric payment methods, so your your fingerprint, your eyeball, your retina scan, your face scan will be tied to your your bank account somehow. I think I saw an episode of Dark Mirror like this, didn't I. Yeah, we're well into mark of the Beast territory here, aren't thank you?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Thirty five percent of people believe that households will be managed by smart home AI. I think that is undershooting it as well. I think AI is probably gonna be far more pervasive in our lives in the next forty years. I mean Tawala and I were. Tala was just saying that it's advancing faster than anybody could imagine, and that it's AI is self correcting at this point. It's it's a learning model, so it learns when it's not right right, and it gets better and better and better. So I think at some point it's gonna be robot roommates. Housekeepers are caregivers. One third believe that we're gonna have robot roomates. Housekeepers are caregivers. I think having a robot assistant is probably given, and with that we will have implanted health monitors.
Speaker 3: A third.
Speaker 2: If people think that we're gonna have implanted health monitors, why would you think otherwise other than the idea of having something implanted. But right now, we already have health monitors that we wear. We've got watches, we've got rings, we've got glasses, all of these things meant to monitor our well being. Also, we got a step further and thinking we're gonna get a microchip, I think is not too far fetched.
Speaker 3: Kind of glossed over something that cut my ear. Robot roommates. Yeah, robot roommates.
Speaker 5: Man, I'd like to Okay, see, I'd like to go to a party with roommates.
Speaker 2: Okay, think about this, foosh, Okay. We already have people turning to chat GPT for company, they're lonely, they have a conversation with chat GPT, or some people are turning into chat GPT for mental health psychological advice. The idea of having a robot roommate doesn't seem that far fetched to me, especially because it's always going to be reflective of what you want that roommate to be. Part of the reason that people fall in love with the chat GPT where they have these online relationships with the AI, is because it's reflective of what they want from another individual. It learns what you want and it gives it to you. It doesn't talk back, it doesn't tell you to calm down, sweetie, it doesn't do those things right. It's the mate that you choose, like kind of like when you go on tender and you go they need to be over six foot, they need to make this much money, they need to have this, you know, this needs to be sexual history, all these things.
Speaker 3: The bots give that to you. Yeah, I see your point there.
Speaker 5: I just thought, I guess because in my mind I just thought of like the typical four twenty stoner roommate that you can go to in college, Like that's the rope fut that you're living with.
Speaker 3: So if they are like major parties, bear me bro Yeah, exactly, Okay, I got you. Yeah, I love that. All right.
Speaker 2: Will we be able to retire in the future. A quarter of all people believe that retirement will be financially uh don't believe that retirement will be financially possible, And they believe that Americans would need to retire in twenty sixty five. They believe Americans would need three and a half million dollars in order to retire. I don't know about you, guys, but I'm kind of feeling like I gotta have three and a half million dollars to retire right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I'll stop you when you tell a lie.
Speaker 4: I mean, so far everything you said, I'm like, check check, yes, yes, and I don't.
Speaker 3: We're there faster. This is twenty you said, twenty thirty.
Speaker 4: Five, sixty five, Oh no, no, no, try I'll I'll say, okay, then try thirty five. Yes, within the next ten years, we're there.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent. Agree with you.
Speaker 2: Biometric payment methods absolutely, if you think about this, we already have it, because like I want to pay with my phone, which is attached to my credit card, so I tap. In fact, they were blown away. I took So I grew up in a really small town in northern Michigan, and uh, and I took a vacation there last week. And so while I was there, got COVID but also went to lows to spread COVID, and I bought something and I and I double clicked my watch, my Apple Watch, and I and I brought up my credit card and I tapped to pay using my watch. They were blown away. They had never seen anything like they go. That is amazing.
Speaker 4: I mean, right now, in our kitchen, if you load, You can load using your bank banking account. You can load money onto the cash register in the kitchen, and you can use your thumb to check out, which is true biometric payments. That's just already thumb and it takes the money out of your account.
Speaker 2: So you've got people going well by twenty sixty five. But we're gonna have a biometric payments. I think half the people they surveyed must have been from my hometown that had never even seen tap to pay before. It had no idea that you could just tap a watch on your on the credit card machine like they had no ide So you're exactly right, would you say, thumb prints in the kitchen, right, yep? Already boop done. We've already got biometric payments, already done. We've already got smart home AI. My fish tank light comes on at a certain time because AI tells my fish tank when sunrise isoop. It's already there, man, it's already there, all right. Speaking of the future, what about the past. Some of the things from the past are evaporating very quickly in twenty sixty five. Will kids even do this anymore? See if you think they will?
Speaker 1: That's next you're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM sixty.
Speaker 2: All Right, the kids these days, remember when you were a kid and you couldn't wait to get outside. And I know I'm gonna sound like it. I'm gonna sound like an old man again, because I remember when I was a kid and the parents told you don't come home until the street light comes on, right, don't come home, Tell u's dark.
Speaker 3: That's what we was here.
Speaker 2: I don't know how true that is. I think in certain areas it was probably truer than others. I grew up in a real rural town, and so I think there was some truth to that. Parents would say, go outside and play, but make sure, they would say come back when the streetlights come on, you come home. But they always wanted to be home by dinner too. They got mad at me if I wasn't there for dinner. But this whole go outside and don't come back until the streetlights come on. And that wasn't the case for me, But it was make sure you come back when the streetlights come on. But one thing I loved, and I remember mowing lawns for a long time when I was I don't know, twelve thirteen, fourteen years old. So I'd get myself a new bike, right. My parents got me a bike. I had a banana seat bike. All the other kids the neighborhood made fun of me until I figured out I could do wheelies on the on the banana seat better than they could.
Speaker 3: It was great. They were like, that's awesome. Your bike is the best for wheelies. Loved it.
Speaker 2: Now I got myself a saved up and I got myself a ten speed or something like that.
Speaker 3: Right, it's not not so much any more.
Speaker 2: Over the course of the nineteen ninety's, an average of twenty million kids from seven to seventeen hop on a bike six or more times a year. For me, it was six more times a day, rode my bike to work, rode my bike the safety patrol, rode my bike everywhere at a paper route.
Speaker 3: Loved it.
Speaker 2: Only a few decades later, that number has fallen in nearly half. Just shy of eleven million kids are getting on their bike. Just less than five percent rode their bikes frequently. Of kids between seven and seventeen years old, kids are losing more than potential mode of transportation. According to experts, Biking supports children's independence and overall health in a way that many activities cannot. It's a great way to get moving, build strength, can improve coordination and balance, and it can help reduce child's future chances of cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
Speaker 3: Were you guys bicycle riders? Absolutely?
Speaker 2: We all ye oh yeah, thank god. I mean that was like that was your you know, before you could drive. That was your independent right, that was your motive. It wasn't just about getting to your friend's house. It was about freedom.
Speaker 5: And I'll say this too, I think I'm not entirely sure, but I think my generation was the last one to really do that because I see what you mean is that you know, now it's just uper everywhere or someone else will drive me, not bikes.
Speaker 2: And do you think this is different in a large metro versus still those rural areas?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, no.
Speaker 4: And it's actually not kids' faults. And I know I'm guilty of this. It's parents' fault. And it's the fact that we are more news conscious and news heavy as at least.
Speaker 3: From my generation.
Speaker 4: Stranger danger that and just I mean for me, I look at like even because I got my daughter a bike, and I think we've allowed her to ride it like maybe four or five times, so she had it, and those are four or five times we were willing to go outside and go on a ride with her because it's like she's like, hey, can I ride my back around the neighborhood my very first daughter? Are you insane? Do you know what can happen? As soon as we have a police department or a sheriff department here in Los Angeles that can start finding and bringing home some of these children who go disappearing, then.
Speaker 3: Then my daughter, But we don't.
Speaker 4: And maybe it's my fault for working in the news and I see all this terrible stuff that happens to kids that just goes unanswered, especially especially in the African American community. Coming it's it's it's a no, it's a hell no. And I used to be gone past the street lights on my bike when.
Speaker 3: I was a kid.
Speaker 2: Do you think some of it may have to do with kids? Kids are connecting digitally now as well. They don't necessarily want to go to their friend's house to play video games because they can log on and be in the same that game room with them.
Speaker 3: They don't have to be in the same.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's another factor for sure, because I remember just getting whoever's friend's house. You get on Friday night, you get a pizza, you get SODA's, and you gather around and you all play video games in the same room.
Speaker 4: But that but again, that's something that even your parents put on you.
Speaker 3: Fuh.
Speaker 4: It's like, hey, why don't you just you'll get you pizza because you're not buying the pizza as a kid, you're not getting the drinking, you're not you're not paying for the electricity or the WiFi.
Speaker 3: That's your parents encouraging that.
Speaker 4: And as a parent who encourage who like literally I was, I was a parent who's like, no, you're you can't go sleep over at your friends house. They could come over here. Yeah, I don't know your friends' parents like that. I don't know what they do when I'm not around. They could be mass murderers fall I know. Hell no, you're not gonna go spend the night.
Speaker 2: I've always been that way too, Like, I'm fine with having your kids over here, but before my kids go over there, I got it. Yeah, there's gonna be some some vetting going on.
Speaker 3: I'm with you now, I love talking to you guys. I love it.
Speaker 2: Foosh you're amazing, Tawala you you bring this show together. And Mark, what can I say about you that hasn't already been said? Be nice? The man, guys is the best. We are gonna be back. I'm in from a few more times in August. I'm looking forward to hanging out with you guys again. Keep talking with everybody else. I'm back on Sunday, four o'clock. It's Chris Merril caf I AM six forty Live Everywhere the iHeart Radio
Speaker 1: K f I and k os T h D two Los Angeles, Orange County more stimulating talk