Speaker 1: Touchy around.
Speaker 2: This is the seventy seven WABC Mini Cast.
Speaker 3: Well, we are going now to the great state of Alaska to Governor Mike Dunleavy and Governor this is Rita. We have John katzmatit's on the phone. Also in studio Michael Cohen and Judge Richard Weinberg. It's so great to have you here. You guys have a huge primary tomorrow. You've got a lot of big races, tell us because a lot they're open primaries, and then you got rank choice. Can you kind of explain how it works? Because people are going, Wow, it's all over the.
Speaker 2: Place exactly Rida. It's kind of like a cross between New York City and Maine. And now we have this rank choice voting and open primary system, which we never had up until just a couple of years ago. It was brought in through some dark money on an initiative, and many of us have been trying to get rid of it ever since because so right now, for example, we have upwards of seven candidates for governor, several candidates for US Senate Congress, and it's really just a confusing issue for a lot of people. But anyway, the voters tomorrow are primary for governor, senator, state legislators, congressman. And what will come out of this is in the governor's race, for example, out of seventeen, there will be only four that will come out of this for the general those four aren't necessarily part of any particular party like the old system was, where you'd have a primary process and you'd end up most likely with a Republican and Democrats facing off. We could have four Democrats, we could have four Republicans, we could have a mix of three and one independent are undeclared. So everyone is trying to get through this primary to see what we're really looking at for the future. But the bottom line is this in Alaska read it's very important. We need to have a governor that is going to continue with resource development, oil, gas, timber, gold, rare, earths, you name it. We're the only state that got an executive voter from President Trump to be able to capitalize on all these opportunities in our resources. And if we don't have that, and we don't have somebody that puts the best interest of the people the state of Alaska first, it's gonna be a long four years. But we're optimistic that we'll get somebody that comes out of this pack of folks that will be able to fit that bill. So we're gonna wait and see what the results are tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Wow, the whole country is going to be watching. And John Katzmatitis, I understand you have a question for Governor Mike Dunlevy of the great State of Alaska.
Speaker 4: Governor, what is the poults of the people? Has Alaska maintained its common sense like when they voted for you? And I understand is it true still that they still have two Dan Sullivan's running.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's another one. So for us, Senator, we have our own Dan Sullivan that's been in a coming for years, a great champion for Alaska, be perfectly honest with you. And then out of nowhere, all of a sudden, individual appeared in one of our southeastern towns with quote the same name and just quote had a desire to run for office. Many many folks were suspicious of this move, obviously for obvious reasons, because in a ranked choice voting scenario, people will go to the polls. And this is the case that the Division of Elections made in trying to keep that person off off the ballot. You're going to go to the polls and you're going to see the exact same name. You know, that would be having Mike Dunlady and Mike Dunlaby, and it would be which Mike Dunlady is this It's going to make things difficult. And so again, if you had a primary that would have been worked out, if it was a primary based upon a party that would have been worked out, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. So it's going to be a dicey situation here for the next couple of months until we get through the selection season.
Speaker 3: That's incredible, Judge Weinberg.
Speaker 1: Governor Scritcher talks to you again, Sir, I'm deeply troubled by the Sullivan situation. A great United States Senator, a great representative of Alaska, one of the leads the United States Senator, an expert on military affairs and energy, and then you have some clown that's pushed in there and with the direct and deliberate purpose of confusing the electorate. So your state regulatory agency did the right thing by knocking the other guy out as a consumer fraud, as a voter fraud, and then you stay Supreme Court allowed him to stay in. So how do people supposed to differentiate between the real Dan Sullivan, the great United States Senator, and this clown that was ginned up by the Democrats to try to create a problem for the real senator.
Speaker 2: Yeah, judge, you're right. It makes it very difficult, and it gets a little weirder if people wanted to in the future. But what I mean by that is, let's say somebody, let's say I'm Reoray for office. Mike Dunlaby runs for office in the future. But let's say the other side, however you define that decides that they want to screw things up, and so they find somebody that's willing to change their name months in advance, and their name just happens to be Mike Dunlaby as they go on the ballot. What do you do then, because this this opens the door for a lot of interesting approaches to elect.
Speaker 1: If I'm voting tomorrow and Alaska and I want the real Dance Sullivan, how do I know I'm getting a real Dance Sullivan?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: How How is it distinguished?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we're gonna have We're gonna have terminology on the ballot Uh, the proper proper name, proper middle name, but also uh, Republican and the other guy does not have Republican because the party did not want that to occur. Now that may end up being challenged after this primary. We'll have to see what we can do in the general to really distinguish, whether it's whether it's photos, whether it's other other other details that we can put in there. But this is all new ground. Uh, this is something we didn't contemplate. But quite honestly, it's a very interesting, very interesting uh, I guess uh for some of us believe it's a very interesting maneuver that if it's not stopped this year, could have consequences such as I mentioned earlier about just name changes before an election. So we've got some identifiers. We just hope that those identifiers are enough to get the people of Alaska and to understand who they're.
Speaker 3: Voting for him and Michael Cohen governor.
Speaker 5: What happens if, hypothetically the guy's name is really Robert Johnson and he changes the name before with the sole purpose to Mike Dunlevy and just doesn't spell it l eavy but l e v v.
Speaker 2: Y, Well that's what I just brought up. I think this opens the door for somebody to actually change their name. Maybe the other side employs them for two hundred thousand dollars and they agree to change the name to Mike Dunlady spelled exactly like my name, and goes on the ballot. That's the part that's the problem that we foresee occurring in the future as a campaign and electoral maneuver in which the people of Alaska or any other state, if this were to happen in the other state, but if it happens here, they don't really know who they're voting for, and that is just going to lead to more of a corrosive effect on believing that your vote matters. That's part of the problem.
Speaker 3: Wow, what a mess. This is really scary. Well let's see what happens. All eyes are going to be there tomorrow. I'm glad you're speaking out against it. Thank you so much, Governor. So it was so great to have you.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Governess.
Speaker 2: So thanks for having me. Guys, thank you, thank you so much.