Speaker 1: Welcomeboard, Welcome to another Space City Saturday on Sports Talk seven ninety Dad Matthews Live and local h town breakdown of the world that matters to you, the Houston sports world.
Speaker 2: All these great Houston fans here.
Speaker 3: We love you all, So finish up on that to do list.
Speaker 1: Flute up the cooler, because you can't drink in talk sports all day if you don't start. Now bear me in the eight This is Space City Saturday's insane.
Speaker 3: Here's seven nineties Dad Matthews, and.
Speaker 4: Away we go here on Space City Saturday. Dan Matthews here with you. A shorter show today to that here in just a second. But great to be joining all of you here on this Saturday morning.
Speaker 2: A beautiful Saturday morning.
Speaker 4: I mean, I know, I tell you all the time that the production usually hits and sometimes it doesn't because I mean, well, you know, we get a hint of winter around here at times, and sometimes with that winter time likes to have that wet stuff falling from the sky. No, not the frozen stuff like I'm talking about where it's in like the forties or fifties and it's just rainy and it's just it's gross.
Speaker 2: But this is not one of those days.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, as you just heard me and Doug Pike talking about a second ago.
Speaker 2: Up there, it is.
Speaker 4: I see the sun poking through the sky right there. I see the ground has got the sunshine on it.
Speaker 2: So it's a beautiful day out there.
Speaker 4: And I know a lot of you probably moving around heading to the grocery store, heading to the butcher shop, whatever it might be.
Speaker 2: You're getting set up for tomorrow.
Speaker 4: So you know, God bless you for doing that, and hopefully we all get to enjoy a great game tomorrow. But I mean, you know this is also too, as the voice guy tells you, you can't drink all day if you don't start right now. So this is prime, prime at day drinking weather. I mean, I told you last week when me and Melvin Brown, Chris Gordy connored Dey McGovern everybody else that was out there also shout out Rob Logan from sales. We were out at Cedar Creek for the sixth annual Gumbo Cookoff. Shout out to Relicious Foods for taking home People's choice. So that was a lot of fun out there at Cedar Creek Cafe, and we really had an awesome time. I mean, you had the New Orleans Hustlers brass band come through, Pack of Strays up on the stage. I mean, you want to talk about the versatility of the Pack of Strays. They were playing everything from Randy Rogers in Ryan Bingham in all the Texas Country slash Americana to even bringing down the house by playing some classic rock like Tom Petty throwing that out there, a little bit of collective soul.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know for some of you when I.
Speaker 4: Just put collective soul in the classic rock, but trust me learn A few years ago when I was writing in an uber in Biloxi, Mississippi, and the driver picked me up and had it on whatever the Biloxi classic rock station was, and you know, heard the sweeper come across, you know, classic rock, whatever number it was, And the first song they played was Kryptonite by Three Doors Down. And I'm thinking to myself, this song was a banger when I was in high school. Well, I just had my twentieth high school reunion, so yeah, unfortunately that's the truth. But anyway, hey, look, you are what you are, right. You can't fight it. You try your best, but just accept it. When it's all said and done, we all get older. As a good buddy of mine, you tell me father time is undefeated. But anyway, we don't have to focus on that today because we do have a big game tomorrow, literally the big game, super Bowl fifty nine in New Orleans, the Chiefs and the Eagles. It is finally, finally here. I can't wait. I mean, it is going to be a fun game. And that's something we're going to talk about too here in the next segment.
Speaker 2: As a matter of fact, is you know, we like to.
Speaker 4: Throw the word narrative around, and I know last week to close out the show, I talked about how it seems like we throw the words goat. Well, actually it's not a word, it's an acronym, but we throw out the acronym goat and elite a ton. Another one we seem to throw out all the time is narrative and this one, I feel like has a couple of narratives around it. And I'm sure most of you probably know where I'm going with this, but at least one way I'm looking at tomorrow is this is greatness against redemption. And I mean, you know, we always look for storylines and games and you always want to have at least the TV side, the interviews and pieces to kind of, you know, build up the momentum and build up the hype for the game. I mean, you know, it's funny how people look at things like UFC and boxing and say, oh, it's all promotion, It's all of that. Sports is no different, especially too, when you have a build up to a game like we have for the Super Bowl, to some extent, like we have with the College Football Playoff. I mean even too a little bit with you know, the World Series and games like that. I mean, you know, you just get a little bit of absence makes the heart grow fonder to lead you up to the game. And not only that, it's also for a lot of people where Super Bowl Sunday it's fun, but then reality sets in. I was thinking of this example this morning that it's almost like when you're a kid Christmas Day and the anticipation. I mean, you get to Thanksgiving and you're kind of just like, all right, let's get through Thanksgiving, and then you know, the real fun starts because the Christmas gifts start being bought, the decorations are going up, the Christmas music is playing. I mean, you're really hoping that you get that Gi Joe or a teenage mutant Ninja Turtles toy, and you know you're just hoping that it's gonna be the best Christmas ever. But then as soon as the presents are open, you have everybody going to bed, and you see the Christmas lights are on the tree, but there's no more presence underneath it. So as a kid, you're just kind of like, oh, it's over, isn't it. Like, you know, the twenty six, the twenty seven to twenty eighth, they're all just kind of days at that point. I mean for football fans, I think it's kind of the same thing that once the Super Bowl comes and goes, you're kind of like, oh, yeah, we don't have this for another seven months.
Speaker 2: Yeah bummer.
Speaker 4: But anyway, that is what we have to look forward to tomorrow. But you know it's also too, I mean, you know, we're gonna talk about a little bit too, even though I'm gonna make most of the show today about tomorrow's game, just because I mean it's one last time to be able to talk actual, real, earnest football for the next few months. I mean, the next time that we're doing that is Draft Day, weekend, and then after that we're talking OTA's and mini camps, and it's a little bit of you've got that, you know, that itch on your left arm, and you're kind of trying to scratch it a little.
Speaker 2: Bit to make it go away or at least subside just a little bit.
Speaker 4: But you don't really have it until once we hit August. I mean, once you hit August, then okay, you know, you build up and you're able to know that football is right around the corner. Then once we hit September, there we go. We're hitting it all over again. But there's still the game tomorrow, so we've got that to look forward to.
Speaker 2: And I talked about it too.
Speaker 4: It's greatness against redemption and also to the star power in this game.
Speaker 2: And I know, at least one.
Speaker 4: Side of the star power, we're tired of hearing about Mahomes and Kelsey, at least some people are. And I would say the second name I mentioned is more because of who he's connected to, and I get that too. And you know, it's funny seeing some of the footage of from last night, I guess Travis and Tata stepped out in Uptown, New Orleans for a nice meal, and one of the news stations there had them going into the restaurant, and then when they came out, word got out to all the Swifties out there, so all of the Swifties were there on the sidewalk looking to get a glimpse of Taylor and Travis coming out of the restaurant. Which you know, I know that some people fit on certain categories. I mean, you know one of them is Taylor's people probably told them they were gonna be there just so they could have the photo op. And then there's the other people. Can they just enjoy a meal in piece? I mean, come on, people, do we have to do this? But that's what the Super Bowl is. It's funny. I was talking with a friend of mine this morning, and you know, we've had the Super Bowl here twice in Houston. Of course, when it was the Patriots and the Panthers the very first time at then Reliant Stadium now in RG Stadium, and then just a few years ago the Falcons and the Patriots for an all timer in that one, at least for one side, one that the other side would definitely like to forget. But we've had it in our town before. You know how it is. I mean it's larger than life. I mean, it takes over your city. It's a really cool thing where everywhere you go there's some sort of reminder. Yeah, you have that game that you've been watching on TV all these years, it's in person. It's right here, It's right in front of you, like like you have the entire world watching your city the entire week. And it's pretty cool from that perspective. But then it's also I mean getting to experience things that you don't normally get to experience here in Houston. I mean, we've got a lot of really cool things about this city. But I mean let's just say you're going out to eat and you can look to your right, Oh hey that's so and so. Look to your left, Oh wow, hey that's so and so too. I mean, certain you know celebrity and you know football players, or you know, any type of encounter that you can have out there. I mean, that's in your city. And I was talking with a friend of mine because I saw on Instagram. Uh, they went out to a club there in New Orleans last night, and Diplow is spinning like one of the greatest DJs of all time, is there in their town, spinning and doing a set there at that club. So that's what this week is. It's the parties, it's everything. The funny thing is is, I know a lot of people people don't get to experience some of the things that I've got no experience in this business.
Speaker 2: But it's also to kind of.
Speaker 4: Take you behind that curtain, you know, to to kind of you know, see behind.
Speaker 2: The Wizard of Oz if you will.
Speaker 4: Is once you get to Saturday in a weird way, and this is you know, trying to add a little bit of perspective because don't get it twisted, like we're incredibly lucky to do what we do for a living. Like, never gonna hear me complain about anything in this business. Some of the experiences I've gotten to have are just amazing. So this is kind of again the ultimate of first world problems. When you cover a Super Bowl, is you get to Saturday, you're kind of like, oh, yeah, they're going to play the game, because I mean, I get it. Woe is me get the smallest violin out. But it's all the parties. It's everything, you know that goes into the work that Chris Gordy did on Media Row this week, Like if you're there on media row in person, it's chasing guests, it's it's doing all of those things. I mean, you know, it's work in every sense of the word. Trust me, it is. And a lot of people in the business usually once you get to Friday, some people to who do you know, morning and midday shows. That's usually when they take the opportunity to head to the airport and head back to whatever it's city that they are originally from and be able to take in the game that way. But I remembered the last time when I was working in Atlanta. Good buddy of mine, shout out Jason Minnox from the Sports Star there in San Antonio. He gave me his passes to go to Lee Steinberg's party and went there.
Speaker 2: It was cool, And I.
Speaker 4: Remember my buddy another shout out, my buddy Blake, who might be listening right now. He went to the party with me, and I can't remember the Hall of Famer, but you had a Hall of Famer sitting there with their Canton gold jacket, and he goes, I've never seen one in person, and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, dude, like that's what this week is. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 4: So anyway, that's the part of it that you get to experience and stuff from this week and the game and everything of the sort. So really looking forward to it. It's gonna be a ton of fun Rockets basketball coming up later today, yours truly doing a Rockets launch pad come your way at one o'clock leading up to a two o'clock tip from there at the America Airlines Center in Dallas. Gonna be the debut of Anthony Davis for the MAVs, as he's probable expected to make his debut, so that's gonna be pretty interesting. I was thinking of shooting a text to Matt Thomas and seeing if their engineer has the in house feed on their mixing board to be able to fire up for the pregame introductions, because I'm going to be interested to hear what Mavericks fans feel about Anthony Davis. I mean, I kind of almost get a vibe a little bit, and you know, look, you can weigh in if you want, if you're a MAVs fan out there. I mean, even though you know we're here in Houston, I understand when want the Rockets side of it, But if a MAVs fan wants to weigh in at seven one three two one two five seven ninety.
Speaker 2: I almost kind of get the feeling.
Speaker 4: That this is shades of Mario Williams with the Texans, Like people were excited about Mario Williams. Like I remember about a month or two after he got drafted that year, I just happened to be in an Astros game and they put him up on the train there at Minute Made Park and of course, you know, Bob Ford, you know, let's please welcome, you know, the Texans first round pick Mario Williams. And it was kind of a little bit of a smattering of like, you know, yeah, hey, that's cool, because remember, I mean, we wanted Vince Young. He was just coming off of the historic win at the Rose Bowl over USC to win the national title. Like Texans fans wanted Vince Young. Texans fans wanted Reggie Bush. They didn't want Mario Williams. And that kind of carried all the way through. And I'll be honest with you, Mario Williams kind of remembered that, and when he had his first chance to be able to bolt and leave town, he said, yeah, Deuce is everyone you never really loved me, so, yeah, I'm gonna go somewhere where hopefully they do. And I guess he found that in Buffalo. But you know, it's nothing against Anthony Davis. It's just Mavericks fans. And you know, I was talking about my fiance about this. I remember being at the at the Astros Rangers. It was game four of the ALCS when the A team went up there, and I was with the guys there in Arlington for that game, and I remembered they showed Luka Doncic on the video board there at Globalie Field and the crowd went nuts, like, you know, that's how much they loved the guy there in the DFW Metroplex. And you get the news last week that he's been traded. I mean, full disclosure. We went out for Megan's birthday last week in downtown Houston and my phone had died and I was so tired when we got back to the room that I forgot to charge it. So the next morning I charge it up and it's the old that your phone is blowing up at that point, and I'm kind of like, this has to be a joke. There's no way that this is true. And I start looking and I'm like, oh my god, they really traded him.
Speaker 2: So I get it.
Speaker 4: The Rockets are on a five game losing streak, but things could always be worse. I think we all know that in sports, and the worst of it is on the other end of today's matchups. So the Rocket's trying to break that five game loser. We might get into that, but like I said, the majority of the show today going to be on tomorrow's game, and not only that.
Speaker 2: It is Bregman Watch Day.
Speaker 4: I don't even know at this point, but we do have the report that Ari Alexander KPRC two threw out there that the Astros have improved their offer to Bregman, but the caveat to that still not expected to get the job done. So we'll see where things stand. I mean, we're less than a week from pitchers and catchers reporting, and that's usually when position players like to make their way to either Florida or Arizona. So I think of your Bregman timing is of the essence here, and I almost kind of think that if you're him, you kind of got to get to a point of all right, is this as good as it's gonna get. Let's do it and just get some finality to this, cause that's really what we all are with this, right. I mean, like I just I feel like, you know, yes, we would like to have Alex Bregman back. We'd love to have Alex Bregman back. But I think most Astros fans at this point are just like, dude, just make a decision, like, just get it done. Like it's just this this constant storyline and just this constant you know. Oh, you know, as soon as you see a notification from Chandler Rome out there of you know him, or Brian mctagger, then Matt Kawaharow, you're kind of like, Okay, hey, something's finally happened. Right, No, nothing's happened. So anyway, that's where things stand. But you're welcome to join up today if you want to do so again Sebon one three two one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's Sebone three two one two five seven ninety. Just a housekeeping note here, a reminder. We are gonna be done at eleven thirty today because that's when Craig Way and the crew are going to take over for Texas men's basketball against Vanderbilt. It's gonna be coming away starting at eleven thirty this morning, So cutting me thirty minutes short today, don't tell Matt Thomas.
Speaker 2: Trust me, you know, if your show is preempted.
Speaker 4: In any way, Matt Thomas will let you know that your show is being preempted.
Speaker 2: So can you all get me that.
Speaker 4: Let's please not let Sports MPT know that I'm working thirty minutes less today. All right, I appreciate you making that deal with me. But anyway, coming up next, there is a narrative this week about the game that I just can't shake from my head.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about that right here.
Speaker 4: It is Face City Saturday, on your home of the Astros and the Rockets, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: We now returned to Face City Saturday, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Space City Saturday.
Speaker 4: Dan Matthews here with you getting us fired up. I mean, you know, we can always count on Melvin Brown to be able to set the mood right, and he absolutely hits every single time. And you know that's one of those things again, you know, taking back behind the curtain here, I always tell you we're the show of honesty around here on Space City Saturday. Not to say that everybody else isn't but we always just want to be able to be completely transparent and honest with you. And one of the things that Melvin will ask before the show is, you know, what are we feeling today music wise? Like last week we were out the gumbo cook off there at Cedar Creek Cafe, which again, can't stress it enough, it was an amazing time.
Speaker 2: I said, let's let's go a little bit of z Idaco. Let's let's set the mood, right.
Speaker 4: I mean, we're gonna be eating gumbo, We're gonna be day drinking, we're gonna be having a good time, all of those different types of things.
Speaker 2: And that's that's what we went with.
Speaker 4: And then today I said, hey, you know, let's go like maybe a little bit of like NFL films music something like that, and that's what we decide to do. So we're gonna be coming with all of the good football music out there today. Before I get into my narrative topic, here do you want to throw out if you follow us on Twitter at Sports Talk seven ninety you saw what we have for you here on the show today. Less than ten minutes away from my good buddy John Kincaid from the Morning Show on ninety seven to five. The fanatic up there in Philadelphia. Johnny a lifetime Philly guy. I mean he loves, loves loves his Eagles, or as he says in his Philly accent, the Eagles. So we will have John coming up here in about ten minutes. He's a great guy and you probably know that name pretty well too from his work on the Four Letter Networks radio side as well as CBS Sports Radio. So he's done a lot of national work. So John is fantastic and he will have it all for us, soup to nuts when it comes to the Eagles. Yesterday on the A Team, if you were listening, you heard Chris Gordy as I mentioned, doing a lot of great work this week on media row there in New Orleans. Yeah, a chance catch up with Texan's edge rusher Willy Anderson Junior. So in about thirty minutes we're gonna hear from Anderson Junior. It was a good visit from there, and just a couple of days ago. On the A Team, we'll get the Chiefs side of tomorrow's game from Nate Taylor with the Athletic. He is the beat writer for the Athletic, and we'll get the Kansas City side of tomorrow's games. So we're gonna have you covered everything. We will have it all for you right here on at Space City Saturday. So I know the narrative that people think I'm going to bring up here, and know it's not about the people who wear black and white stripes.
Speaker 2: I understand.
Speaker 4: We're gonna be watching our antenna is raised for tomorrow for any of those penalty calls.
Speaker 2: If there is a you know, kind.
Speaker 4: Of shaky roughing the passer call on say I don't know, Jalen Carter or somebody, or Nolan Smith, then immediately we're gonna say the up there they go. They're showing for Mahomes again. They're doing it. The fix is in. I mean, we played the Roman Reigns cut yesterday during Best of CTS of him saying football of work, and that's been something for some time, and you know, look I get it. I mean I was probably like many of us in the Texans game where we were just like, come on, man, like, really, that's that's roughing the passer. Oh, that's unnecessary roughness. Good to know, thanks really appreciate it, reps. But no, that's that's not where I'm going with this. The narrative that I think I've heard a lot this week that I really just cannot understand, and I think that a lot of it is recency bias, is this is going to be a boring game tomorrow. This is a boring matchup. This is a matchup that we're tired of seeing. We just saw it a couple of years ago, and we've seen back to back Super Bowl matchups before. I mean, back in the early to mid nineties, you saw two straight years of Cowboys and Bills, and both times the Cowboys got Buffalo in those games. And you know, it's it's kind of one of those things that we say out loud that we're tired of seeing the same teams over and over again. I mean, right now, it's the Chiefs. Just a few years ago, it was the Patriots. In the nineties, it was the Cowboys. We were tired of seeing them. And you know, on the college side, I mean, we got so tired of seeing USC and that, you know, and people.
Speaker 2: Want to say that UFC a UFC USC.
Speaker 4: Had a dominance at that time during the mid two thousands, we all really truly know that they only won one national title during that time, Like, that's what cracked me up when people were saying, Oh, they're going for a three peat against Texas.
Speaker 2: Really because, as far as I know.
Speaker 4: We take the BCS national champion, and the BCS national champion was LSU. And people might try to say that USC would have beaten LSU. Yes, they probably were a more talented team, but can I tell you that night that LSU beat Oklahoma inside the Superdome, there was nobody that was going to beat that team that night. They had magic on their side in that game. So go ahead and take that for what it's worth. But anyway, people throughout USC people got tired of Alabama. You got tired of seeing Alabama and Clemson in the College Football Playoff all these years. So I get it that you want to say out loud, oh these teams again. But it's also even if you're not a fan of a certain team, and we're kind of dealing with it here in Houston, the rest of the country is getting tired of seeing the Astros in the LCS and the World Series almost every single year. We love it because it's more baseball for us. It's more of a chance for you to probably wear your astros gear around and know, hey, people, if nothing else, even after the revelation of what happened in twenty seventeen, they're probably, if they're being honest themselves, deep down gonna say, but I do respect you guys, because it's.
Speaker 2: Not like the Astros.
Speaker 4: We're a fluke with what happened that year when we all know without a shadow of a doubt that other teams are doing it. The Commissioner even said as much. But for whatever reason, the Astros have been made the poster.
Speaker 2: Child for it.
Speaker 4: And I've given the reasons before for that. I mean, you know, the case study was last year with Michigan. The amount of shilling and just you know, absolute stumping that people were doing for Michigan with Connor Stallions was exactly what I said. I said, if this were any of the heritage organizations in baseball, you would have had Ken Rosenthal in everybody saying, well, you know, everybody in baseball was doing it. It wasn't just a Yankees thing. It wasn't just a Dodgers thing or any of these other teams. We all know how it goes. The Astros are low hanging fruit. They were an organization that for the most part never won anything of consequence, and once they started doing it, well, then everybody started to say, well, there's got to be a reason why. I mean, nobody is truly that good at being able to develop talent, nobody is really that good at being able to have all these players in their farm system, and nobody is really this good without having to spend gobs of money. And that's what the Astros were able to do. But with the Chiefs and what they've been able to do, that's the part that I think is the saddest thing of this entire run for the Chiefs is that they've won three Super Bowls out of was it four or five years during that span. I mean, of course they lost the one to Tampa Bay and Tom Brady a few years ago. But a chance to go for something that we've never seen before in our history, a threepeat.
Speaker 2: That's incredible. That's fun, that's an awesome storyline. I'm there for it. I'm here for it.
Speaker 4: And then I mentioned it in the opening segment, redemption from the Eagles. Just a couple of years ago, this very organization beat you and they went home with the Lombardi Trophy, not you.
Speaker 2: So that's another part of this.
Speaker 4: I mean, you've got an Eagles team with a historic running back in Saquon Barkley this year who just missed out on breaking a single season rushing record, but he's been amazing. We of course here in the Houston area, we're rooting hard for Jalen Hurts being a Channel View guy, and he still represents his city. And that's the fun of this entire matchup. So I'm really excited about tomorrow's game. I think it's gonna be amazing. I think it's gonna be an incredible game to be able to watch too, So it is going to be just a ton of fun to be able to sit back and watch. And coming up a little bit later on in the show, I kind of give you a little.
Speaker 2: Bit of a guide for tomorrow. I'm just gonna try to help you out a little bit.
Speaker 4: Maybe if you're on the fence of what to provide, if you are having people over at the house, or maybe even if it's just you it's a small intimate get together with immediate family, you know what, that's even awesome as well. So we'll do all of that coming up. But immediately coming up, we're gonna head up Philadelphia. We're gonna talk for my good buddy John Kincaid from ninety seven to five to the fanatic. He's gonna give it the Eagles side of tomorrow's game. We'll do that right here Space City Saturday, when you're home with the Astros and the Rockets.
Speaker 2: Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Space City Saturday continues Fine Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 4: Space City Saturday. Dan Matthews here with you, I can he's here. John Facinda right now, speaking of John. We've got a John right now, John Kincaid join us here on a Space City Saturday. You can hear him morning's six to ten on ninety seven to five. The fanatic up there in PHILADELI via John. It's great to hear you again. You've got a John Facenda story or two, don't you.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I don't think you even know this one, or you may. My dad was John Facenda's mailman. Okay, how about that? John Facenda was. And John Facenda was an anchorman in Philadelphia, a news anchor which a lot of people don't know. But he had just such a great voice that when NFL film started, and it started here and they set up their base here, they were looking for a great voice, and that's why they went John Facenda, and then upon his passing, went to Harry Kallis, and then after Harry Kallis passed, they've had, you know, a bunch of different people. But John Forcenda was My dad was his mailman in Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania, and he used to wear three two pays. He had a long one, a medium one, and a short one, and my dad would be delivering mail and Missus Fascenda would on Saturdays wash the two pays and they'd be out on the line in the air. So my dad would go buy and were John to send us three two pays so you would pretend that he was getting haircuts. I think it's pretty creative.
Speaker 7: I gotta diet. It's pretty creative.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, no, for sure, for sure the way we remember the way we remember our idols, right John, But yes.
Speaker 6: It is any it is amazing, So.
Speaker 2: For sure, for sure.
Speaker 4: Good stuff there again, John K and K joined us here on Space City Saturday. Let's just start off with just a broad view of tomorrow. I mean, you know, people talk about this matchup with both lines both very good upfront, but when it really comes down to it tomorrow. If the Eagles are the ones raising the Lombardi Trophy, what do you think will be the storyline of their win.
Speaker 6: I think it's the fact that, unlike in the last Super Bowl where they're running back broke his wrist on the first play, his first garry in Miles Sanders, I think that this game they will have a consistent rushing attack, and they've obviously run the better ball better this year even than they did that year, and at that point they had a historic rushing attack. This year they just broke the record book in half and started, you know, waiting their own chapters. So I think that'll be a big part of it. But Dan, this number one defense, to me is going to have to be on its you know, on its toes, because when you're facing Mahomes and Andy Reid, it's a chess match that I don't think anyone can ever say they've got the advantage in when you're facing those two, any defense I don't think you can say, yeah, well, that defense is going to get the advantage on them, because we respect Andy very much here in Philadelphia, and Mahomes, if you don't respect him, you're just trying to find a reason.
Speaker 7: Not to like the guy because he's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no doubt about it.
Speaker 4: And you know, just talked about that in the last segment of you know the word we like to use in this business John narrative, And of course you know the chief narrative this week, no pun intended, is oh, how much of the referee is going to help him out? But I mean that's you know, I talked about it in the opening segment of the show. I said, this is greatness against redemption, and that's where I'm go on with the next one. I mean, you know, bringing up Nick Sirianni and Howie Roseman and everybody up there that I'm sure most of your listeners they wanted them gone after last season, and you get the reprieve that all coaches get, where Sirianni gets to fire his OC and his DC, bringing Vic Fangio, bring in Kellen Moore, and you have the season that they had. So where I'm going with this is, I mean, did anybody in Philly see this coming, even with the addition of Saquon Barkling.
Speaker 6: Well, remember last year, before the collapse, which by the way, was a historic collapse, they were ten and one and everything, and that's coming off of a Super Bowl, and then all hell broke loose, mainly because of the fact that Brian Johnson there offensive coordinator, who was handpicked by the quarterback Jalen Hurts, because of their lifelong friendship. Brian Johnson, I honestly, I wouldn't hire him to walk Nicky falls my dog. I would not. He was over his skis. He wasn't prepared. And then you had a defense. It's a coordinator and Sean Deci and Matt Patricia who was just a meddlesome force in the building. And so those hires, by the way, were made by Howie Roseman, who then went out this offseason and went and got Vic Fangio and Kellen Moore.
Speaker 7: So he made those highers.
Speaker 6: So sometimes how he gets a lot of credit for all the stuff he gets right, and he is fantastic. He is a great drafter, talent evaluator everything. He's great strategies and the best capologists.
Speaker 7: In the business.
Speaker 6: But make it be clear, his poor decisions on who we're going to be the coordinators last year for that team cost that team dearly because everything fell apart as the season went along. They were ten and one. But they were winning games a lot like the Chiefs did this year, winning games like by the skin of their teeth, having to pull stuff out. And that wasn't the way they won in twenty two, and that really wasn't the way they've won in twenty four again.
Speaker 4: John k and K ninety seven to five the fanatic up in Philadelphia, join us here on Space City Saturday. Foind him on Twitter at John Kinky. And defensively, I mean, you know, I know we've talked a lot about the offensive side of the football, and for good reason. I mean, that's what people focus on the most when they're watching games. But defensively, you know, we can talk about some of the names that people will be focused on tomorrow, Jalen Carter obviously, Nolan Smith, what you know me and you know those guys from their work.
Speaker 2: And our former workplace.
Speaker 4: But talk about a guy like Zach Bond in what he's meant to this defense, because it seems like whenever there's needed to be a massive turnover or just a massive stop, he seems like he's the guy that's usually spearheading that effort.
Speaker 6: It's been incredible, Dan, and I'm not afraid to tell your audience that when Zach Bond got signed, I had to go to Google. I had no idea who he was. I had never remembered hearing his name. He was a special teamer for the most part with the Saints. I had no idea what he was bringing to the table. But all I had heard when I started to do a little more conaissance, was that Vic Fangio loved this guy and wherever he was going to be this year, he was going to want to go get Zach Baum. And it just tells you what a crafty DC can see. He has been incredible Dan not only you know, he's a guy that has been fantastic in coverage, which nobody like.
Speaker 7: Really was expecting.
Speaker 6: He has been incredibly solid in the run defense. But the Eagles take care of their rush defense a lot at the front line. You know, a lot of times it doesn't even have to get to the linebackers. But he's a great tackler, and he's been a disruptor as far as stripping balls, huge fourth down stops. He's been absolutely incredible sideline to sideline. I have no idea how people didn't see what this guy was bringing to the table. But obviously it was missed by a lot of nflgms.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, and also to the team that he was with because it was in the city. They're playing tomorrow's game, so their loss is definitely the Eagles game for sure. A couple more minutes again with John Kincaid ninety seven to five, the fanatic up there in Philly and John, you know, I mean, I've talked about this numerous times with you, the reputation that Philly fans have everything of the sort. But did you ever think you would see a day that, let's just go the wrestling example here, a team from Kansas City would be the Heels and the team from Philadelphia would be the Babyface.
Speaker 6: Well, what I'm going to say to you, Dan is you know, I'm always honest about the fan base and everything. It is the most rabid, wild fan base I think God ever created. But I also think that many many times they've stepped in it and created their own sort of negative press. But one of the things is that hasn't happened. Honestly, for the most part, that doesn't happen much anymore. In fact, the stuff I see in other stadiums seems far worse people getting killed in the parking lots and stabbed and stuff like that.
Speaker 7: But what I will say.
Speaker 6: Is this is that I think the Eagles are a very likable story. There's nothing that you know down there in Space City. And one of the things that I admire about Jalen Hurts is by the way he never hides his love of Houston. He never has decided to pander to this city. Even when the Phillies were in the World Series against the Astros, he wore his Astro stuff, which, by the way, he wears around. He wears his Astro set. He loves them, And so to me, it's they're a likable story. They don't pander to be part of Philly, but man has Philly embraced them. And those Georgia Dogs, those kids, it's an amazing story. If you haven't gotten to see, and if your listeners haven't gotten to see, they have a little video library of the year, like a video diary of their season. The Georgia Dogs playing here in Philly. Those guys, they love each other, their family away from home. They've created an atmosphere here where they are rock stars in this town. And then you add CJ. Gardner Johnson and some of the others, Darius Slay giving us are we now have the Exciting Whites as they are called, and yes there are. Everybody in town has a T shirt CJ. Gardner want CJ. Gardner, Johnson and Darius Slay, tag Reid Blank and Ship and our boy Cooper Degen, two white safeties as the exciting Whites. It just became a punchline and fun and they're exciting Whites T shirts merchandise and they're launching a podcast in the offseason because they enjoy each other's company so much to talk football and have a little fun and they say they're gonna sip white wine while they do it. But it has been a They're a very likable team. There's not there there is a big villain on this team or anything like that. And it's been fun to watch. And I gotta tell you, you know, all those Georgia guys, they've been it's been incredible. And the strategy of going to one school and grabbing like five players from it, I sort of was like, is that the smart thing to do? It has worked beautifully and Vic Fangio says those guys entered the NFL with their undergraduate degrees already in NFL football. He thought they were so well coached and coached up that these guys just entered the NFL better off. And I'm sure top programs like Georgia and Texas and things like that you might find that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, John, it's funny you say that, because I mean, we heard the same thing all season from Damiko Ryans and all the coaches about Kamari Lassiter. So I mean, you know, yeah, it's something something to be said about not overthinking it on draft nights. Some teams get that. Some teams, I don't think necessarily do. The ones that don't, they continuously have to remind you. And I think you know where I'm going with this, that they have to continuously remind you, Oh, we know what we're doing in here. Oh you do, We'll continue going eight to nine.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 6: I have one problem with Dan today, on the eve of the Super Bowl, I'm a little less than thirty one hours away and my wife has told me to get out of the house now. I'm doing a special party tomorrow that I'm broadcasting from in middle of the day, but my wife has said I'm not going to be able to deal with you, so you have.
Speaker 7: To find stuff to do.
Speaker 6: So literally, she's like sending me out like she's like, you're bouncing off.
Speaker 7: The walls, you are pacing the floors. You're driving me crazy.
Speaker 6: Any any advice, I mean, you know, you know us both, Any advice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was gonna saying, I mean, look, I don't know what the weather is like up there, but today here in Houston, it's.
Speaker 7: A beautiful storm this afternoon.
Speaker 6: That's coming in around three o'clock. Snow and ice part of the beauty. Moving back to Philadelphia, Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, for sure.
Speaker 4: No, I mean, look, I would say I would say indoors, you know, that's that's still a spot that you can be able to get a good drink or two. And then look, you've got Ralphs, You've got South Philly there you can go find a good, good meal somewhere.
Speaker 6: I'm sure I'll do something. But thirty one twenty, by the way, that's the final score. They're gonna the Birds will hoist their second Lombardi Trophy.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 4: I'm feeling you on that. I'm feeling you. I think that you know, just the one and a half All week I was kind of like, man, it's gonna move. I'm feeling that. But it states you see my tweet.
Speaker 6: Did you see my tweet yesterday about the underdogs? Every every super Bowl, every super Bowl played this century, there have been twenty three of them because two thousand was not the turn of the century. Two thousand and one is the first year of the new century. Every season that there's been a Super Bowl, the underdog is sixteen and seven straight up. Interesting, interesting winning the game. The underdog has won seventy four percent of the Super Bowls this century. So Vegas has been abysmal at identifying who the better team is. I can't believe it because they're never usually that bad, but seventy four percent of the time they've been wrong, the underdog has won the game outright. So think about that when you are placing your legal wagers or illegal ones' that's just my r you know.
Speaker 4: That's that's that's the knowledge that John ky Kate brings us here on Space City Saturday. Johnny, you're the best man. Give my best to Chris and live and it's always great to catch up with you, buddy.
Speaker 6: Dan, great job, buddy, I'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 4: See you, buddy, John Kinkaid again ninety seven to five, the fanatic up there in Philly, and uh yeah, you know the Vegas side of it, trust me. I mean Matt Thomas might tell you he loves Vegas. Nobody loves Vegas like my good buddy John Kinkaid. So great to be able to talk the Eagles side of tomorrow's game. And look, I gotta be honest with you. I mean, you know, I'll give the full on prediction later on, but I mean that one.
Speaker 2: And a half.
Speaker 4: I just kind of feel like Vegas is kind of, you know, telling you, hey, this is a pick them in every sense of the word. So sixteen and seven the underdogs winning straight up. John Kinkad just throwing that out there, so appreciate him. Join us here for a few minutes. You want to react to anything John just said, or be able to get in with any Super Bowl conversation, you can do so sebon one three two one two five seven ninety once again, that's seven one three two one two five seven nine zero. But also coming up next, like I said, let's get the Texans side. Even though they're not the Chiefs, they're not the Eagles. They're not in this game, but how do they eventually get into this game? Well, we will dive into that a little bit as our good buddy Chris Gordy catches us up with Will Anderson Junior of the Texans there in New Orleans. We will have that for you here coming up on Space City Saturday on your home of the Astros and the Rockets Sports Talk seven ninety Sports Talk seven ninety. You don't always get the this is a presentation of the NFL.
Speaker 2: You don't.
Speaker 4: You don't get that type of music. That's a that's a good poll by you, Melvyn. It's it's a banger. It kind of lets you know this is the National Football League and tomorrow we'll be watching it. Kevin Burkhart, Tom Brady, and Aaron Andrews as well as Tom Rinaldi there in New Orleans. So you know, it's just it's so funny. Like I was talking about earlier, you just you feel like the week leading up to the game that finally gets to the game and you're like, oh, yeah, that's right, that's that's what we were doing all this partying and everything for right, like we're actually gonna play a football game. So that's so we get tomorrow the Eagles and the Chiefs playing for it all here in the NFL. So we'll see who is up on the stage hoisting the Lombardi Trophy. Is the confetti going to be gold in red or is it going to be white and green?
Speaker 2: I guess we'll just have to wait and see for tomorrow.
Speaker 4: But one of the teams that is not in it is the team that we love around here, that is the Houston Texans. And as a matter of fact, Jason did call in earlier, so gonna pull just a quick audible before we hear about that five minute visit with Willy Anderson Junior. Jason real quick from Katie wants to weigh in here on Sports Talk seven ninety Jason, what's up?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just want to remind Houston that we hold a dubious honor in the NFL, and that is the city of Houston has the longest conference championship route of any team bar the second would be Cleveland Browns in eighty nine, the last time a Houston team made it with seventy nine. And another thing, every other team has been to at least two conference championship games. Since the last time I've seen from Houston went.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I appreciate the call, Jason.
Speaker 4: Now, I mean, you know, the Texans, we obviously know since they joined the league in two thousand and two, they haven't gotten past the divisional round. And you even touched on to the team that was here previous up until what was in ninety seven to ninety eight, the last season of the Oilers, So it's been a while. It's been a long time coming in Jason. As a matter of fact, good on you, because you just did a great segue here in the business, a nice little lead in to the conversation that Chris Gordy had because to your point, the Texans have never reached the AFC Championship game erego, they've never even been one of the final two teams at the end of the season. But that's where Chris Gordy and Will Anderson Junior got things started yesterday, Gordy asking Will, Hey, what do you guys do to get to that point?
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, we's gonna do a better job of executing, man and making sure we're being all on the same page. And you know, it's really just somewhere us the players making sure we're sacrificing our time and making sure that we need to do what we need to do, set ourselves ahead, and make sure we're going out there competing to the highest level that we can. Yeah, it's it, man. It had to be nice.
Speaker 8: I remember talking to you when you were at Alabama because you used to talk about you got a lot of double teams and it was hard. Teams were focusing on you and you win, you know, defensive Rookie of the Year and all that. It had to be nice, though, bringing over a sud defensive end on that other side to kind of take some of the attention away from you.
Speaker 3: Most definitely, Danil has been a great help man. He's been a blessing to have on his team. Man, He's taught me so much going and off the field, the way he prepares, the way he's persistent, the way he's so consistent in his game. He rubbed off on me so much and I took so much from him, just like working my hands after practice, working my hands during practice on the sideline, when the office is going, how I'm taking care of my body, how I'm eating right.
Speaker 8: And he's just been unbelievable for me. What did he has changed it all from last year to this year. Was it Demico kind of keep things the same or the things change? Demiko is Demico Demica. It's like, look, I know what this is.
Speaker 3: I have, the guys are doing and we're gonna get it done. We just have to continue to do us better. And that's what I love about Dimico because his confidence is so high. It just bleeds on to us, man, and we adapt that confidence, man, and he pushed us to be the best that we can.
Speaker 8: You know anything about the new O Seaton Nick Cayley coming in. He's a very highly thought of a lot of pre snap motion, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Do you know anything about him? Not too much, but I heard nothing but great things about him. I'm excited to work with him. I'm excited to see what he does with CJ and their relationship and what he can do with the offense. And I trust the decision, you know what I'm saying, And I'm excited about this next year.
Speaker 8: We're going into some injuries happened throughout the year. Is that stress even morning offseason?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 8: You got to do everything right to take care of your body because it's a grind, man, and you miss some games, it's a big loss.
Speaker 3: You can't get those games back. Yeah, most definitely. Yeah. I think it all starts in the off season, just like how you take care of about it and stuff like that, and you know, you know, injuries is a party game, you know what I'm saying. I think calleds always talk about it, like even though when we have these injuries, like whoever's up after you? Like, how are you paying attention? How are you getting the mental execution that you need to do while you're not in And those are the areas that we can improve on as well as too.
Speaker 8: How about sting taking Heaven a year? He has Old pro Stingley.
Speaker 3: Pro Stingley, Man, Stingley is the best quarterback in this league. Man. And I play with Pats certain and I think very highly of both of those guys. And both of those guys are top. I'm not saying which one has one or two, but both of those guys are top. And I love Stingley to death. Man. He's he's the best. Man. He's the best to do it. The way he can go up and get the ball, the way he covers people, the way he come down and tackle. He doesn't say much Man, he just lets his game speak for himself, and he's going to continue to do to do great things in this league.
Speaker 8: If you're walking down the hall at NRG and Nick Casario, you walk by his office and he goes, hey, well come in here real quick. What quick thought? We got that first round pick? What do you what do we need? What would you tell him?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I'm not I'm not a GM, I'm not a coach, I'm not nothing. I'm just like man, whatever y'all think needs right, whatever y'all need to help me in the team, it don't matter to me. Whoever y'all getting. I'm a love up on them. Yeah, and make sure that they have whatever they need here.
Speaker 8: Man, what'd you make of for the year Joe Mixon had, Man, they added such an added dynamic to the offense.
Speaker 3: Bro Joe was the energy on that offense. Man. The way he led that offense with CJ. Man, the way he brought a spark to it. Man, it was like none other. Man. But he does that to the whole team. And we played against Joe last year when he was at the Bengals, Man, and I knew how special he was, and he brung that energy into the building.
Speaker 8: It was good the added dynamic. Going to guess, play your butts off in Kansas City. But like the way the way the game goes, do you almost go, it's that much more point we get home field. Yeah, because we saw that crowd rocking your Chargers game. I mean, it is a difference maker. So getting that best record AFC matters, it does, it does. It's a lot of cool games.
Speaker 3: You gotta get on the road for man, But I gotta said, we got to find a way to win. Those are what the good teams are doing. They're finding a way to win, and that's what we have to continue to do. All right.
Speaker 8: You've been in Houston a couple of years. Give me give me the best best food.
Speaker 3: Spot, best foods by the in Houston for breakfast to break this club, Yep, it's a good one. Barbecue, I want to say, Yeah, that's just the truth. It's one of the barbecue players. Well, you can't go wrong any of them. It's both those like some of the places I like a lot. What are you ribs, sausage ribs, uhribs just really really okay, it's pretty good, Yeah it is.
Speaker 8: It's not that eating and you played in Alabama. They got a good barbecue, they do.
Speaker 3: I didn't even really eat the barbecue that much Alabama.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well yeah, I mean were you were busy shocking day and having fun in college when you're not playing football.
Speaker 3: What you're doing fishing with my dad? My dad, me and him go fishing all the time. Man, you around or no back in Georgia anywhere we go down the foot and go fishing.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: And it's been great, Like that's just my my peace of mom my comments. That's been really great fish bass. What do we kept as large north back? What do you use for a lure? Uh? Carolina rig and something we use shad minnos, all those different type of things. You get out there early, yep. We got out there early, right when the sun's right, when it's not come up, because if you don't, it'd be too hot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Before I let you go, let let everybody know what you do. Who you're promoting here today? Yeah, I'm with Jeff Pinot Butter right now, man, and you know of a billion people e wings on a Super Bowl, So I'm teaming up with Jeff to save the salary right now. Well, better way to eat the eat the salary did with Peanut Butter. I love it. Well, It's great to catch up with me.
Speaker 8: I know you've been doing a million of these, so appreciate you taking some time to really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you, I appreciate thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Appreciate uh Will Anderson Jr.
Speaker 4: For his time you have today with Chris Gordy there on Media Row in New Orleans. You missed any that you can head on over to Sports Talk seven ninety dot com or also too. You know about the new and improved always Free iHeartRadio app. That's another place that you can be able to catch that interview on the go. Good stuff there, Let's continue the conversation. We've given you the Eagles side of tomorrow's game.
Speaker 2: What about the Chiefs side?
Speaker 4: Earlier this week on the eight team, we had a chance to catch up with the athletics. Nate Taylor will have that visit here for you. As we get into the eleven o'clock hour here on Space City Saturday, Dan Matthews here with you when you're home of the Astros and the Rockets Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Welcome aboard, Welcome to another Space City Saturday. On Sports Talk seven ninety Dad Matthews Live and local h town breakdown of the world that matters to you, the Houston's sports world.
Speaker 2: All these great Houston fans here.
Speaker 3: We love you all, So finish up on that to do list.
Speaker 1: Flute up the cooler because you can't drink in talk sports all day if you don't start.
Speaker 3: Now bear me the eight.
Speaker 2: This is Space City Saturday. It's insane.
Speaker 3: Here's seven nineties Dan Matthews.
Speaker 2: Indeed, it is.
Speaker 4: Craig Ackerman, Indeed it is. It's always insane. Doesn't matter the time of year, doesn't matter the events that are coming up, any of those different types of things. But appreciate you all taking some time here this late morning, at midday here to be able to talk some sports with me here on Space City Saturday. Dan Matthews, here with you as the way we go here in our two of the show, an abbreviated hour two, as I mentioned as well, because coming up at eleven thirty, we're gonna have Texas basketball coming your way, the Horns in Nashville taking on the Vanderbilt Commodores. So we're gonna have that for you. The other thing too, as you know, just to let you know what we have here on our family of stations today, if you're looking for the Rockets, Rockets launch pad coming your way at one o'clock over on News Radio seven k TRH today. So the Rocket's trying to snap that losing streak over there. And then if you can't get enough basketball today, two forty five over with our friends on KPRC nine to fifty, that's going to be the Coogs in Colorado taking on the Buffalo's. So the Coogs trying to be able to get a huge win. Obviously no Emmanuel sharp up for the game on Tuesday night, which happened to be in the building for that for the Coogs and Oklahoma State.
Speaker 2: Had to sweat it out a little bit.
Speaker 4: And you know, it's been a Koog's team that at times this year has looked to disjoin it on the offensive end, but they were able to pull off the win. The defense always plays for them, So they'll be taking on the Buffaloes there in Boulders. So two forty five, that game coming your way over on KPRC nine fifty. We're going to continue the Super Bowl conversation here on Space City Saturday, because, as promised earlier this week, on the A team. We had a chance to catch up with Nate Taylor. He is the Athletics beat writer that covers the Chiefs. We had a great conversation with Adam and Adam and Nate, and now is a chance for us to get the Chiefs side of tomorrow's game.
Speaker 2: So we'll do that right now.
Speaker 9: Kiss City Chiefs Philadelphia Eagles. We've got ourselves a Super Bowl matchup. We've seen it before. There are some differences quite clearly, especially in the Eagles backfield and in other parts of each of these two teams. Take a trip to New Orleans and catch up with Nate Taylor, who covers the Chiefs for the Athletic. We certainly appreciate you spending a little time with us. By the way, the Athletic is set to debut it's new daily game Connections Sports Edition coming up on February ninth. I imagine most of our listeners familiar with Connections, well connections to this game of long run. For people who've covered the Chiefs, this is kind of part of your annual schedule. I know how many more games we're going to need, but we'll take you to the only story that anyone's allowed to talk about Nate, the narrative, the striped shirts. It does seem like we finally hit the pushback on it, both from the Chiefs and even from media, some outside Kansas City, but many inside Kansas City. We experienced it because the players brought it up during the week preceding the game. Buffalo experienced it because their head coach mentioned that they had discussed it before their game. How do you feel like that plays into what we're gonna watch on Sunday?
Speaker 10: You know, you hope it doesn't play into it a ton And obviously thank you guys for having me on. I just I get the sense that even Roder Goodell on Monday saying, you know, hey, it's come on, we you know, obviously everybody knows that the rest of human beings.
Speaker 3: Of Roger Goodell's point was.
Speaker 10: We raid everybody, like we know who's the best and the worst. Ref Like it's you know, it's almost a fool to air because uh, you know, yes, the trend is the Chiefs continue to win. They win a lot of close games, they don't win the games sort of in blowout, which obviously kind of removes the the refs from like, you know, the equation. But even Roger Goodell said, look like there are bag holes for every team in every game because you know, we we have a human element. I want to remind the audience that, hey, man, if you've never been down not on the field, but just down that field level of an NFL game, you you would miss so much stuff. And these are referees who are older than the athletes, who are obviously faster, stronger, bigger than they used to be.
Speaker 3: And of course, you know.
Speaker 10: These are pressurized moments, especially when everybody's watching. So the Chiefs played more prime time standalone games than anybody in the league, so I think that has a part of this as well, so you know, for the Chiefs benefit. And you know, I think one of the reasons why this has sort of started to take a turn, probably for the better, is, hey, the Bills had a lot of opportunities to beat the Chiefs.
Speaker 3: They couldn't do it.
Speaker 10: And you know, one quarterback thrives in lake game situations, whereas some quarterbacks don't, even the best ones. So it helps out the Chiefs have you know, a Hall of Fame coach and Andy Reid and a future Hall of Fame quarterback and Patrick Mahomes, Well, let.
Speaker 9: Me take you to that statement to a different team that they played twice this year, the Houston Texans. In either of those games or in both of those games, did you feel like what you just said would have applied as in, the Texans had their opportunities to win both of those games, but mistakes were made or their quarterback play since you brought up wasn't quite.
Speaker 2: To the Chiefs.
Speaker 9: How did you view those matchups as to say, where do you think the Texans might be as in the way of the Chiefs in the near future.
Speaker 10: I don't know how close the Texans are. You know, they just replaced Bobby Slow at the offensive coordinator. You know, I'll be honest, guys, the Texans are beating the Chiefs this season.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter if.
Speaker 10: That game was in December, the you know, the first matchup, and obviously you know last month during the division round. Yes, the game was technically close, but I just remind people that, you know, you know, their kicker missed two field goals and an extra point or had an extra point blocked. See didn't turn the ball over, but he did turn the ball over twice in the first matchup. The Texas had a number of errors on special teams. They surrendered the longest hickoff return season. I remember, I just looked this up with Niko Ramihio because I wrote about him today here in New Orleans. You know, Pat Mahomes never turned the ball over. The Chiefs didn't turn the ball over in eight quarters against the Texans. I mean, if you want to get close, you got to change some of that math. And so I think for Houston it's like, hey, it sucks that Tankdale got hurt.
Speaker 3: They have to have, you know, maybe another.
Speaker 10: Receiver or two to help c. J. Stroud, who you know is going to continue to get better over the course of the season. And I do like Tomiko Ryans, but I mean, it's not the you know, a lot of people said this.
Speaker 3: I'm not the first, but it's not. It's not the ref's fault that as.
Speaker 10: Good as Demiko Ryans is, his linebackers and safeties forgot who Travis Kelce was for the large majority of that game. And it's why Travis Kelsey had his most yards this season in at that time, the most.
Speaker 3: Important game of it.
Speaker 9: We know, we know, you stop telling us how bad and dumb and mistake from the Texas are well therefore and Mahomes.
Speaker 11: Mahomes did turn the ball over against the Texans until the refs turned it over. I just wanted to put that out there, since we're being honest about everything. But no, I mean, you do have to basically play a perfect game to beat those guys. And as someone who is sitting here in Houston, Texas and knows all about what it's like to cover a team that is affectionately referred to as rival fan bases as the Evil Empire and the Astros, I'm assuming that that's just kind of outside noise for the fan base and even for people like you that cover the team, because when you're in the middle of that bubble of excellence, it's just it's hard not to And I'm not even saying that we've done this. It's not like condescending, but it just comes off as like it's easy to say that's a loser mentality, to blame the refs, and yet it's like being there's questions being asked about that before they've ever even played the game.
Speaker 2: The week leading up to the Super Bowl. This is just a fascinating subplot to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so you know, I don't.
Speaker 10: I don't think either team is gonna get blown out. You know, I think we've seen enough Super Bowl games where if it's two evenly matched teams, hey man, the rest may be involved. Now, it's not not my fault, it's not really the Chiefs fault. That the way the last game playoff before these two teams, you know it was it was Bradbury, the cornerback for the Eagles, who had the holding call on Jujus Smith Schuster, who ran a whip route which essentially gave the Chiefs the ability to run all of the clock down in the last two minutes to set up Harrison Bucker's game. Any field goal, Hey, if you're the Eagles, get up by ten, find a way to get the ball to Saquon Barkley and just see a Saquon can take you home because he's had obviously one of the most historic modern seasons for a running back.
Speaker 3: In NFL history.
Speaker 10: If you give the issue is if you give the Chiefs a chance in the fourth quarter, because just by the numbers, they've been in those situations more than you. It's it's one of the reasons why they're still the champions. You know, if you give them a chance to beat you in the fourth quarter, the odds are not in your favor because of the experience that you know, Steves Bagnolo has a defensive coordinator in terms of finding the right blitz like you know, that comes down to Christians maybe getting a sack or a pressure on a quarterback to you know, make the quarterback make a mistake and then usually Mahomes finds Kelsey because Andy Reid has a way of sort of manipulating the opposing defense. It's it's really a situation of if the Chiefs win dominant on Sunday, then I don't know what.
Speaker 7: Any of us are supposed to say other than well they've they've.
Speaker 10: Done it again and they're champions, and it just pushes it should you know, concede to motivate a lot of the AFC because you know, the Chiefs are a three point victory in regulation from beating the Eagles, and I want to remind people they are a three point win in overtime in beating the forty nine ers. So this isn't like a walk by any stretch of the means. But because they played in so many close games, they've always found a way to sort of deliver. But someone's gotta like do that to them at some point for I think the narrative or the discussion around you know, the sports highest you know level to sort of change.
Speaker 9: Talking with Nate Taylor from the athletic at by Nate Taylor's where you find him on the socials.
Speaker 2: Uh, you have to pick one of them.
Speaker 9: Which former Houston Texans player for the Chiefs will make a memorable play on Sunday. Justin Reid, DeAndre Hopkins or Charles Emna who.
Speaker 10: Mm I want to weirdly say Justin Reid. He's gonna be on the field a ton because you know, he's one of the Chief's best safeties. So who knows, maybe he makes an interception or has a you know, obviously he can blitz you know, Jalen hurts it and maybe create a negative play that way.
Speaker 3: Charles A.
Speaker 10: Minnie has had really a phenomenal return from the ACL that was one of the biggest question marks this season for the Chiefs. And you know, he had an impressive strip sack of c. J. Stroud in the Division round game and he's been actually more productive as a run stopper in some senses than even you know, generating consistent pressure. The biggest question for me is what's gonna happen with DeAndre Hopkins. DeAndre Hopkins is an amazing player, but we are now, in my opinion, officially in the twilight and so it's just how long can he maintain the toilet of his career, whether he wants to come back next season, that's kind of been a question. You know, he's he's thirty four, you know, receivers, and I looked this up with my editor earlier this week, called I was like, how many like the oldest receiver last year? I think in the NFL was like thirty five thirty six. So you know, DeAndre may never get on the stage. And at least he's had two weeks to sort of manage his knee injury.
Speaker 3: That's kind of been, you know, nagging at him all year.
Speaker 10: But I'm not sure with again, all the options the Chiefs have, Xavier the Hollywood Brown, obviously, Kareem Haunt, Isaiah Pateko went of course, Travis Kelsey. If Dean's going to get as many opportunities, you know, to make a play as maybe CHARLESO Minihewe or I think at a higher percentage.
Speaker 3: Maybe justin Reid.
Speaker 9: Well sixteen snaps against the Texans twelve in their most recent win over the Bills for Hopkins, probably a good way to look at it, Nate, before we let you go, you got ten seconds in a one score game, because that's all that they play. The Chiefs will beat the Eagles by what score? Four twenty four? I don't know something like that. Twenty seven twenty ten sounds entertaining.
Speaker 2: We'll take it.
Speaker 7: That's all.
Speaker 3: That's all they play.
Speaker 10: Entertaining one square games where we might have conspiracies about the rest, well.
Speaker 2: That will definitely do it. Nate.
Speaker 9: We certainly appreciate the time, appreciate your work with the Athletic where they will once again debut their new daily game Connections Sports edition coming up off February ninth.
Speaker 3: Enjoy the game, Nate, Yes, thank you, fellows.
Speaker 4: Good stuff from Nate Taylor again at the Athletic with us earlier this week on the A teams.
Speaker 2: So there you have it.
Speaker 4: I mean, just to show you how closely connected these two teams are in terms of talent and what they bring to the field. We're expected to be in for a really, really good one tomorrow. There in New Orleans. But coming up next, we all have our ways of taking in tomorrow night's game.
Speaker 2: And I think you know where I'm going with this.
Speaker 4: It's the presentation or what's on the table for you to be able to eat and enjoy while you are watching this game. So we'll do that because I feel like I've got some pointers that really could Maybe you're on the fence right now. Maybe you know you're in the car, you're heading to the grocery store as we speak.
Speaker 2: So maybe if you're.
Speaker 4: On the fence and never go to the grocery store with an empty stomach because you end up minding stuff that you deep down didn't really need. So hopefully this can be able to fill the stomach a little bit for you to know you're going in there with an express purpose. Get this, get that, and you're going to have a great Super Bowl Sunday. We'll do that as we close out this edition of Space City Saturday. Again, Dan Matthews here with you on your home of the Astros and the Rockets, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: This is Space City Saturday on Sports Talk seven night.
Speaker 4: Oh man, I feel like it already with the headset on right now, I feel like Kevin Burkhart, what a great guy too.
Speaker 2: I'm a huge Kevin Burkhart guy.
Speaker 4: I'm so happy that he's now the league guy there on Fox. I mean, a guy that's paid his dues in this industry and at one time was the Julia Morales of the Mets for sn Y and then eventually getting his way into the broadcast booth of course with Fox leading into this, did some radio games. I can't remember what radio network he did for some time, what in Westwood, but it was one of those national radio networks doing NFL games. So he of course will be on the call tomorrow with TB twelve Tom Brady. So looking forward to hearing that crew go to work on Eagles and Chiefs tomorrow there in New Orleans. But we're all gonna be settling in for this one. By the way, if you didn't know, Dan Matthews here with you on your home of the Astros and the Rockets Sports Talk seven ninety Space City Saturday, Here for just a few more minutes before we kick you over to Nashville for Texas basketball taking on Vanderbilt and again Rockets launch Pad coming your way one o'clock today over on news radio seven forty KTRH. So that's where you can be able to catch those games. But we all know that Super Bowl Sunday is the late winter, maybe even here since we're into we can kind of call it false spring because we all know that about the middle of February is when spring usually starts to come along. We get a cold snap here and there, but you know, we just kind of get a little bit of a primer of what's to come because we know during the summertime, oh it's one hundred degrees with one hundred percent humidity today, that's weird.
Speaker 3: Who knew?
Speaker 4: But that's what we know is coming here in very short order. And I know that probably depresses some of you out there, but anyway, I where I'm going with this is that it's kind of a little bit of the U or you know, early spring, late winter, and another Thanksgiving for us, because if you're taken in the game at a Super Bowl party, well there's food out there. At least if the party's well done, there's food out there. It's you know, even a chance for you you want to bring a side, do that, but.
Speaker 2: We'll take care of the rest.
Speaker 4: So gonna kind of take us through the courses that I feel like make the best Super Bowl spread. And I know that some of you like to do the sports bar thing not done at a time or two, but nothing beats being able to be with close family, friends, whatever it might be. Maybe you're hosting it at your house, like I said, and maybe for some of you out there to listening at this point, you're heading to the store. You're trying to be able to get the things ready, the chips, that dips, all of those things.
Speaker 2: So let's just kind of roll through it right here.
Speaker 4: We all know that dips are a great pairing with watching football, right, so I would say that the best Super Bowl spread you go with three of them in here are the three keso. Who doesn't love a good caso, right either, you decide to make it at your house. You go get the cheese yourself, you go get the milk, You go get the the you know, the the pico de gayo, the rotel, whatever it might be.
Speaker 2: To go in there.
Speaker 4: You throw it on the stove. You start to kind of fold it all in together right there. And the milk is important because you don't want so much viscosity. See you get me all choked up thinking about it. You don't want so much viscosity with the caeso. You want that right balance of being thick enough where it's gonna stay on the chip whenever you dip it in to be able to get you some k SO, but also too where it's liquefied enough to to make sure that you're not just eating just baked on cheese at that point.
Speaker 2: So k SO my personal favorite.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think we know without throwing out the grocery store brand, but I think you know who has it. The Brisket ks Oh, it's fantastic. It's amazing. The Brisket KSO is awesome, and you know sells it. I don't have to tell you who exactly they are, but k SO that's one of them. My fiance is seven layer dip. And of course, you know, you guys probably out there can see many different seven layer dips that you can make a recipe, but a good seven layer dip it's great, it's fantastic.
Speaker 2: One of my personal favorites.
Speaker 4: Because I know some of you might be saying, well, Dan, what about salsa. Okay, you know, look, if salsa is great, it's fine, you can throw it in there too if you want. But I love a good buffalo chicken dip because I feel like there's versatility with a buffalo chicken dip, the same as with the seven layer dip. With a seven layer dip, you can go tortilla chips, you can go free do's. Either way.
Speaker 2: You got it right there.
Speaker 4: Buffalo chicken dip, I feel like you can go those two chips. But then maybe you're even throwing in just the regular potato chip at that point. And when it comes to potato chips, I need thickness and crispiness, not the thin little it disintegratees in your fingers as you're trying to eat the chips, because that's not good for dipping. You want maybe the kettle cooked variety, where again, you know, you get a little bit more of that crispiness to go in there. So that's the dips to go along with the entrees.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 4: I would say that the same place that has the brisket queso, go with some stuffed lapenos, some bacon wrapped holapenos. You know they hollowed out julapeno cream cheese in there, wrapped in bacon. I'll throw them on the grill, get that crispiness on them. Let to go wings. You gotta throw those out there. The hot and spicy, yep. But some people don't like the hot and spicy. Throw out some womon pepper throw out, some barbecues, some mild ones as well. I'm a huge ranch guy. I know some of you rock the blue cheese. But anyway, that's on the table. And then dessert wise, go handhelds. Don't go cheesecake and anything like that. Cookies and brownies. That's the way because again, some of you might be eating standing up any of those things, you don't have the chance to get the plate and the fork out. So that's how that all goes. That's gonna do it for us here on Space City Saturday. I want to thank Melvin Brown, want to think all of you, and I think John Kinkaid, Nate Taylor, will Anderson Junior. Great show, a lot of fun Texas basketball coming your way next right here on your home of the Longhorns in Houston Sports Talk seven ninety I'm Dan Matthews. Talk to y'all next Saturday,