Speaker 1: Welcome to Fast Feast Repeat Intermittent Fasting for Life. I'm Jen Stevens, author of the New York Times bestseller Fast Feast.
Speaker 2: Repeat, and I'm Sherry Bullock, longtime intermittent faster and health and wellness advocate. Please keep in mind that this podcast is for educational and motivational purposes only and is not intended to provide medical or diagnostic advice. Jen and I are not doctors, so make sure to check with your trusted healthcare professionals before making changes, especially when it comes to any medical treatments or medications.
Speaker 1: Whether you're new to intermittent fasting or an experienced intermittent faster, tune in each week to get inspired, to learn, and to have some fun along the way. Hi, everybody, we are so glad you're here today. Welcome to this week's episode of the Fast Feast Repeat Intermittent Fasting for Life Podcast.
Speaker 2: How are you doing today, Sherry? I'm doing great. The sun is shining. After I feel like a week of storms and no power half the time, I feel like so hooray for the sun. We had a really rainy day yesterday. I have sunshina and electricity today. Yeah, I need both of those things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like my pool completely filled up, like to the tone. I was looking out there and during the day yesterday and I was like, I need to go put some water in the poll.
Speaker 2: It's a little low.
Speaker 1: And then it rained so hard we weren't expecting it, and then the pool was like all the way full.
Speaker 2: I'm like, well, I'm sure glad I didn't put any water in the Yeah, you would have had a flooded backyard. Oh gosh, the backyard was very flooded.
Speaker 1: The people all over Facebook were posting pictures of things flooding.
Speaker 2: Oh really, we had a lot of rain. Yeah. Well, I mean I have standing water in my yard and it hasn't rained since midnight, but the ground is just so saturated that it's not going anywhere.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm ready for some sun. Bring on the sun.
Speaker 2: I'm counting down the days till I'm there. Yeah, I can't wait. I'm so excited. Just a little over a month. So okay, okay, Well let's start in with our weekly celebration. And this week we have a celebration from Stephanie and it's titled Day twenty nine graduation Day. And for those of you that may not know what she means she is graduating from the twenty eight day fast start. So Stephanie wrote, first off, this is the longest I have ever been quote on the wagon, and that's because there is no wagon. I am super proud. I experienced a weight loss of five pounds and this is the lowest weight I have been in the last ten months, despite on again, off again weight watchers. I did not measure and I did not take starter photos. Why because the rebel in me was like, what's the point? This is just another fad for you. But I recreated a face to face photo and I can definitely see some changes. Here are my non scale victories. Freedom from decision fatigue. I'm an entrepreneur, and honestly, the mental gymnastics of counting and planning and denying was just an overload on my already taxed decision making brain. This feels like absolute freedom, feeling super comfortable in my clothes. Many are getting loose, better skin. I've been having some adult acne for the past six months, but I'm noticing an improvement in that, as well as overall redness mental energy throughout the day. I'm really noticing now, mainly the past five to seven days, so that once I have my fast breaking snack around three thirty or four, I'm immediately tired. This is such a key for energy management and timing of my tasks. It's no wonder I was tired all the time before. No daytime napping. Honestly, I was a serial napper. I would have told you four weeks ago that it was my favorite self care activity. Yet I haven't desired or needed a nap in the past week. Putting more energy, thought and effort into my dinner meal. Since this is my meal of the day, I am pre planning it early and not getting home after work and thinking, uh, what will I throw together?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: What I did? I nailed the clean fast that's it, and I followed the steady builder aproach in week one, the ripoff the band aid in weeks two through four, I purposely did not change my food choices. I delayed instead of denying, and I enjoyed all of the things I desired in my eating window. This twenty eight days brought birthdays, anniversaries, moving into our new cottage, all things that would have quote ruined a traditional diet. I binged on fast piece repeat and intermittent fasting story podcast Daily What's Next. I loved the day by day of the Fast Start book. I highly recommend if you don't already have it and you're in the Fast Start. Even the Kindle version is wonderful. So I will start over now at day one with the readings, the planning and the daily reflections, but without the increasing fast because I've already done that part. I'm going to trial a nineteen five window, but I have a feeling that I'll naturally gravitate to a twenty four on the weekdays in nineteen five or eighteen six on the weekends, depending on the occasion. Stepping on the scale and made it immediately gave me diet brain. So I think I'll stay off for another twenty eight days and just go by how my body is feeling and my clothing to make any tweaks. Also, oh wow, thank you for teaching. If if you had asked me four weeks ago if I could eat inn a four hour window, I would have told you that was absolutely crazy. Now it's not only doable, it's enjoyable.
Speaker 1: I love that so much, Stephanie. And here's the part, that last little bit where she said, if you'd asked me four weeks ago, if I could eat in a four hour window, I would have said, that's crazy. We hear that from people who are new. They're like, well, I've been listening to the podcast and most people end up with about a four or five hour window. Am I going to have to do that? I don't want to do that. I'm like, don't say you don't want to do it until you experience it. You might realize that is what you want to do, but your brain thinks you don't want to do it until you're doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then people who come into the community and they're on day one or day five and they're like, I see that most of you eat a four to five hour window, but I have zero plans to do that. I'm going to do sixteen eight. But over time it seems way more approachable, right Like, once you start with an eight hour window and you're like, okay, I manage that, And then over time people are like, I almost couldn't eat two meals in my eight hour window, so I shortened my window up and I went to a snack and a meal. And that was never their intention, it's just what happened naturally.
Speaker 1: Or they'll accidentally have a day where they got real busy and opened later and they're like, you know, I've been eating at noon, noon to eight, and then I got real busy and I couldn't eat until three, and then around two o'clock, I actually had this great energy and.
Speaker 2: I felt better than I ever feel, and oh, there it is. And somebody yesterday she's in her fast start and she's doing the steady build approach, I think, and she was I think maybe doing a longer like maybe an eight hour window, but she had lab tests at like two o'clock yesterday, so she had to stay fasted until two. And then she was like, it was actually really easy, and now I know I can do it. So now I'm just gonna switch and I'm just gonna wait and open my window at two every day. And so it's like kind of once you do it once and you realize like you can do it, your body does know what to do, and you're not going to die, then you're like, oh, okay, this is doable.
Speaker 1: And not only are you not going to die, but you might find that you feel better than you do when you open it noon exactly, which is what I'm expecting you would probably feel. And also if you notice, Stephanie talked about how after she happened her windows, she feels more tired, and that is very typical yep. And so I feel more tired after I open my window than when I'm in the fasted state, and that is more motivation to keep fasting until my work is done for the day. I always fast until my work is done for the day and when I have a clear brain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think it's more profound in the early days of fasting. I really do think the tiredness gets better. And my theory is your insulin resistance improves.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So when you eat, your body isn't spitting out as much insulin, you're not having that crash, You're not having that crash afterwards. That and I think people learn how to tweak their foods pretty right.
Speaker 1: I was going to say food for because what I choose to eat makes a huge difference, Like I realized, you know, with my experiments with whole food, plant based eating over the years, I do not have any kind of slump if I am whole food plant based, zero. But when I eat meat to open my window or eggs, I get tired. It's like my body needs more energy to digest that protein, and so I get more like, oh, I feel like I almost need a nap. It's just it's very interesting. I wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't for experimenting. Yeah, I have not struggled with like low blood sugar in quite a while. And yesterday all I did different was I often opened my window with like yogurt and blackberries, or yogurt and cherries or something. But yesterday I had a banana in my yogurt, which I do that like banana and strawberries a lot. The only thing I did different is I had some organic granola, and I was like, oh, I'll add a little because bananas are soft and.
Speaker 2: I like a little something to chew. So I just I didn't have any strawberries. I haven't been to the grocery store, so I was like, oh, I'll sprinkle some of that sugar free granolaver that is all I did, maybe two tablespoons of granola over the top of it, and I had the biggest slump. After that. I was on the couch like so tired and lethargic and almost a little nauseous. And Eric kept saying well, maybe you needed something else, and I was like, no, I'm queasy. But then I made myself get up and eat something else, and I felt so much better. And I was like, oh wow.
Speaker 1: The banana and the granola together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I did. Apparently I did great with banana and strawberry yogurt, but banana and granola yogurt is a no for me, and I felt it very strongly. Yesterday.
Speaker 1: I had a little slump after I opened yesterday as well. I opened with a roast beef sandwich. My food box didn't come this week. Well, it came. It rode around on the truck for two days. Oh yes, and then by the time it came like, they're like, it's going to be delivered on the day it was supposed to. And then they're like, oh, but it'll be the lovered tomorrow. And by the time it came, everything was yeah, and that was a shipper prawl. Obviously, you know, Veex did not get it to me, and so I had to throw it all away. So I've been just having to like live off the land, how to eat food.
Speaker 2: Gina is out in the wild trying to procure food exactly.
Speaker 1: Luckily, I went to Publics and lived off the land with some boar's head roast beef, which is delicious.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: It gave me a little swamp after I ate it, and I'm like, yeah, this is huh not what works the best for me. But it was really I love a good roast beef. But what I do is I had some Daves Killer bread and I put some roast beef on the air and some Swiss cheese and some horseradish.
Speaker 2: Mannai. It sounds amazing, Oh I got it was so good. Yeah, that sounds great. It's my kind of sandwich.
Speaker 1: Made me a little tired after eating it. It was delicious.
Speaker 2: I love sandwiches and I never eat them.
Speaker 1: I never even hardly have sandwich bread in the house because I, you know, use my meal kits instead.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna be honest. I like Public's London broil better than the roast beef. That's what I got London. Oh no, no, I think it was bor's head London broil.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: My family, we taste tests somehow. I got both by accident one time, and then we did a blind taste test, so you get the Publics brand. Okay. Everybody liked the publics brand. Well, I'll have to try it.
Speaker 1: I do love publics, and now I know you can schedule it on the app. This is not a commercial for publics. Public it's not, no we exist. But I would do a commercial for publics if they want to do.
Speaker 2: That's so much. I love publics.
Speaker 1: But you can like say you wanted ahead of time, and then when you get there, it's already in.
Speaker 2: This little case. That's the matter. I don't have to.
Speaker 1: Wait in the line because I'd be like, I'm not getting anything there. They're like ten people waiting in line to get theirs. I'm like, I'd rather have no meat.
Speaker 2: That's me. I will be like, well, we're gonna have to make another plan because there's a line up the deli counter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's always a line at our dele counter. But now I just well, I didn't even know where to pick it up. I'm like, where do you get your men? They're like over there, and I went and had my name on it and it was all sliced up, and I'm like, bam, anyway, that's great.
Speaker 2: I like convenient. I have to check that out at my public So I don't know that we.
Speaker 1: Offer that it's just right through the publics app. Again, we are not answered by public I just really like publics.
Speaker 2: We like convenience.
Speaker 1: I like convenience, and like, now I'll like plan my trip before I go on the app, and I think about what I want, and like, let's say I wanted to get horsewadish mayonnaise. I can see all the options that they have and read the ingredients list before I get in the store. Yes, I do that, and then I put it on my list, and then it tells me where it is, like what i'le to go down and said, I'm like, all right, I need to go.
Speaker 2: Down to all four. And I go down to all four and there it is.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I'm sure everyone else has been doing this for years, but I'm new to this app shopping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: Now we have a question from a listener, and this is from Cherry, but Cherry from Texas.
Speaker 2: And she spells her name the same way I do. Yep, she does.
Speaker 1: She said, I'm wondering about staying hydrated. I know that you've said not to drink too much drink fasting as it throws off your electrolytes, But now I'm thinking I might not be drinking enough. I wonder if you can be more specific about how much to drink, or is this one of these studies of one thing. I'm pretty bad about not drinking enough water anyway, and I don't want to become dehydrated. I usually have a cup of coffee in the morning, a glass or two, which are twelve ounce glasses of water during the day, and a cup or two of green tea at night.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be different for everybody, and it also depends you get a lot of hydration from the food you eat. If you're eating fresh fruits and vegetables, if you're eating soup, you're getting hydration from your food, So it doesn't all have to be what you drink. It sounds to me like you're probably getting sufficient water. Are you thirsty? If you're not thirsty and you feel good, and I wouldn't, this is not something you have to worry about. This doesn't sound like over drinking to me. Over drinking once is when the people are like I have to drink two gallons of water a day, or I have to drink one ounce per pound of body weight, then you might be overhydrating. But if you're just listening to your thirst and you're just drinking too thirst Across the day, you're doing fine. One way you can really tell if you're dehydrated is if when you use the restroom, if your urine is really yellow, like dark yellow.
Speaker 1: I actually saw something on this am I been on Facebook or Instagram.
Speaker 2: It should not be dark yellow or straw colored. It shouldn't be dark. Pale yellow is normal, yes, Pale yellow is yeah normal. You want a light yellow, pale yellow. Yeah. And if it's totally clear you're overhydrated.
Speaker 1: It actually had like a scale totally clear, you're drinking too much, pale yellow, normal, dark, dark yellow, and then it had all these other colors like kidney disease and you know, other weird colors that you might have. But what it makes me sad is the way Sherry worded this. She said, I'm pretty bad about not drinking enough. So that's like one more thing we're giving ourselves guilt about. Yeah, and that has been this whole push. It's modern, this modern push to drink. First, it started with eight eight ounce glasses a day. That was the first. And I actually have a YouTube video that I'll share in the community, made by a doctor when someone asks about water.
Speaker 2: I share this video. It's really short.
Speaker 1: It talks about how that's just somebody made that up, right, and then everybody just keeps repeating it.
Speaker 2: Like it's the fact.
Speaker 1: But someone made that up and it is not true. So I want everyone to release the guilt about how much you're drinking. I just drink if I'm thirsty, And the whole thing that other people will say that's also made up. If you're thirsty, then it's already too late, you're dehydrated. No, yeah, that's not how the body works. The body does not send you signal for things when it's already way too late. And if you think about man, a thousand years of man or women, that's honestly.
Speaker 2: Say, one hundred years ago, people weren't walking around with their mug of water. They didn't have a standard cup, they didn't want tracking water, they weren't thinking about water. You know, people have been trying to survive, right, they're just out there having a glass of water when they're thirsty and moving out on about life and they're not giving it another thought exactly.
Speaker 1: And also the whole idea, like I've heard people say coffee doesn't count towards your water because it dehydrated to you. That's also not true. Caffeine can be dehydrating, but it's not going to dehydrate.
Speaker 2: You more than the amount of water that.
Speaker 1: Was there in the coffee, right, So you're not like negative after you have your cup of coffee. Right.
Speaker 2: That fluid counts.
Speaker 1: And one thing that's really important to keep in mind is that we do not need as much fluid when we're fasting.
Speaker 2: We just don't. It goes right through you.
Speaker 1: Like I remember one time someone asked. It might have been back when we were on Facebook. They're like, I have to go to the bathroom a whole lot more. I'm just gonna say pee. Sorry, everybody, I have to pee a whole lot more on fasted.
Speaker 2: Is that normal?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I don't know, I've never really noticed that. But then I started paying attention, and it's absolutely true. I go to the bathroom a whole lot more on fasting. It's like the liquids go right through me, and that's my body not needing so many fluids. It's releasing them because I'm fasting. Because our body uses a lot of fluid to digest food, and so we need more fluid if we're eating than we do if we're fasting.
Speaker 2: Well, and when we are in fat burning, our kidneys do all outing more fluid. That's true as well. That is really normal when you're in katosis. It acts like a natural diuretic and it pulls excess fluid out of your body. I think that's why we see such a drastic change in people's inflammation levels in the first few months that they are fasting. You see such a change in their face, and people's faces aren't so puffy, and their hands aren't so puffy, and it's that kind of natural diuretic response to katosis.
Speaker 1: Yep. But I also noticed after I eat, I like barely have to go to the bathroom like for the whole rest of the day, and I don't get up in the middle of the night and go to the bathroom. You know. I drink enough water with my meals to digest my meals, obviously, And the only time I've ever had muscle cramping is if I have not had enough fluid during my meals. Your body pulls in fluid from your tissues, and that's where I've had like foot cramping, like after flying on a plane and purposely not drink because I didn't.
Speaker 2: Have to go to the bathroom looking.
Speaker 1: Then they had terrible foot cramping and it had chugged some water and it went away. So don't be worried about not having enough during the fast. You're not going to be comdyhydrate. Now. If you're out doing a lot of sweating, exercise, you know whatever, then that's a different story.
Speaker 2: You might need to replace some fluids. If you're losing a lot of fluid, then you need to replenish it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, my body lets me know, no worries at all. I don't counter track. I've got a glass water right here. Sure you can see it. Yep, I had some. I'll drink some if I want to, and I don't worry about.
Speaker 2: It all right. So our next question is from Curious in Oregon. She say, it's hello Jen and Sherry. I really appreciate all your sciencey information in the podcast. I'm wondering what happens when your body has an insulin response but you haven't eaten any food. For example, you talk about the insulin response that can occur when you taste a sweet flavor, even if you don't consume something sweet. What does your body do with that insulin since there isn't a rise in blood glucos coming from food. I know you've mentioned that you can experience hunger, stomach growling, et cetera, when you accidentally break your fast or you're not clean fasting, But I'm curious what actually happens to the insulin that is released when you have an insulin response but no food or fuel, and it can't really do its job of helping use or store the glucose that would have been in the food. I appreciate any explanation you can get.
Speaker 1: This is a great question, and I want to clarify one thing. I don't think I've ever said that if you have an insulin response, it will make your stomach growl. So stomach growling is a mechanical action, and we have associated it with hunger because we're more likely to feel it if our stomach is empty, But it actually isn't hunger. So a growling stomach is just mechanical action of an empty stomach. But it doesn't mean you're hungry. It just means your stomach is empty. I just wanted to.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, if my stomach's really empty, I'm deep enough fast and I drink some really cold ice water, my stomach will growl, it's moving, and it's just the respond enough to drinking that water. It doesn't mean you're hungry. So that was just one thing I wanted to mention. Okay, So.
Speaker 1: This is why it can be really really important not to have an insulin response, because you talked about all right, there's no sugar coming in, So what's the insulin gonna store. Well, it's gonna store some sugar that's already in your blood. Like we're all going around with blood sugar all the time. We have a baseline level of blood glucose that rises and falls during the day. Your liver dumps some glycogen, you might pull some out of muscles. Your body is always trying to stay within a range, right, So if you have that cephalic phase insulin response and your pancreas pumps out some insulin, it's gonna store some of that blood glucose and it's gonna drop your blood glucose levels even though no glucose came in. Higher insulin insulin stores, so you're likely to have a blood sugar crash. Here's the thing. You're only going to feel that blood sugar crash if your blood sugar was in like a load and normal low kind of a range. Like let's say I've noticed I'm cruising along, deep in fasted state, and my blood glucose is seventy seven to make it up a number, because I've seen that kind of number before, back in the day when I was wearing a CGM. So I'm deep in the fasted state, my blood sugar is seventy seven, I'm cruising along. Let's say I had an insulin response. Well, that's likely to lower my blood sugar lower than seventy seven, And because it's low, I might actually feel a little shaky or weird, like my blood sugar is too low because my blood sugar was already at a good low and now I've made it too low. So you don't want to feel that. But on the flip side, let's imagine that you are cruising along and you are, you know, not really fat adapted. You haven't been fasting a long time. Maybe you have a lot of excess glycogen stored in your liver. Maybe you're earlier in the fast and you haven't cleared out your daily liver glicogen yet. Maybe you are lots of other things. You're walking around with really high blood sugar. Maybe you're blood sugar is one hundred and twenty even though you're you know, you haven't eaten yet for the day, You're still walking around in the morning with a blood sugar of one twenty. You have an insulin response, your blood sugar's liable to come down, but maybe it only comes down to one hundred. Right, Are you going to feel that your blood sugar is low. No, one hundred is not low. So the absence of feeling like your blood sugar is crashing does not mean your body didn't release any insulin. It just means that it didn't impact your blood sugar enough for you to feel it. Did I explain that in the way that made sense, Sherry, Yes, you did, because sometimes people tried to use that as a like, well, I know Jen said that, you know, we shouldn't put limit in our water, but I put limit in my water and I feel perfectly fine. We don't use that as a test to determine what works for you, because maybe your blood sugar is going down from one twenty to one hundred because of that lemon and your insulin response, and you can't feel it. That doesn't mean that something isn't happening and you're not having an insulin response, and we want to keep insulin low because we want to tap into our fat. Insulin is storage hormone. Go ahead here.
Speaker 2: And I'm convinced too that the more insolent sensitive you are, the more you're going to feel bad. That's true. So I think early on in your fasting, I was gonna say career, your fasting career, your fasting lifestyle. You may be one of those people has been like, oh, I've been I've been having lemon water for the last six months while I was fasting. I never heard about the clean fast, and I felt fine. But you've not given your body a chance to heal your insulin resistance, and over time you may absolutely feel the difference. That's why the clean fast is so important. And you know, we know insulin is a storage hormone. So if you have an insulin reason really is why you're fasting and you're in fat burning, it's going to turn off that fat burning. You're not gonna get the benefits of that clean fast exactly. So that was a great question. Curious in Oregon.
Speaker 1: All right, now, it's time for our segment called What's Your Why. Most of us begin intermittent fasting with weight loss in mind, and that is a wonderful reason to begin, but there is so much more to what intermittent fasting can do for us beyond weight loss. And if you have a powerful why, I believe that you are more likely to fund long term success and if you fasting as a lifestyle.
Speaker 2: So this week we have a wife from Tanya in Kentucky. My why is not just losing weight, but making my body look or reshape it back to the way it was before. I had a slight belly because of a hysterectomy and the fact that I've been in menopause for so many years. But on the other program I was doing, I gained so much weight that I was absolutely miserable. So now to have that weight coming back down is great. But watching my body shape change has been so wonderful that it's nearly brought tears to my eyes. I know in one of your podcasts you said that after a certain age that you're never going to completely get rid of that belly, and that's okay. I just want my body shape to get close to the way it was before, so that I can get on with my life. Yeah, and Tanya, I just want to say, when you say you want to get on with your life, you want to get this done to get out of your life. Please don't let your body shape and all of you listening, do not let your body shape or size stop you from living your very best life. Like you have one life, live it, live it every day fully, no matter what you look like. You know you can be a work in progress and still go out there and live your best life.
Speaker 1: We probably all seem the meme how to have a bikini body, get a bikini, put it on your body.
Speaker 2: Yep, right, that's true.
Speaker 1: And I want to clarify one thing that Tanya said. You know, after a certain age, you're never going to completely get rid of the belly. I actually think you probably could if you like dieted like a crazy person. Like if I went crazy on full diet mode, I could get really really skinny.
Speaker 2: I could.
Speaker 1: I could do it. I could get really really skinny. I have no desire to do that though. Instead the lifestyle that I live postmenopause, i'm a little fluffier than I was with the similar lifestyle pre menopause. So I could get skinnier even after menopause, but it would require me to do things that's not the way I want to live my life. So I have chosen that part of my enjoying my life is I'm just gonna be a little fluffier, a little puffier, and I'm okay with it.
Speaker 2: Are you ever going to have your twenty year old belly back again? Though no, exactly, never never know.
Speaker 1: I never will because I had two babies and I lost obese for a bit, So I'm always going to be a little little fluffier and sagger But I could be really really skinny even with those fluffy saggy right right. I just I don't want to be really really skinny and have to work really hard and never get to enjoy the foods I want to enjoy. So it's just a matter of what I've decided. So I don't want people to think that, you know, once you pass menopause, there's nothing you can do, but you may have to say, Okay, this is just my new My body is different. Your body is going to be different, and I think that's just important, all right.
Speaker 2: So we have a question now from lark In Denmark, She wrote, can you talk a little about modified ADF? Why is it five hundred calories? What were to happen if I was to eat six hundred or nine hundred on a down day and then follow that by an upday?
Speaker 1: All right, So that's a great question, lark in Denmark. And here's a little history of ADF. I did not make it up up, nor did I create the recommendation to have five hundred calories. That's not something Jen Stevens came up with. And it actually comes from the research on ADF, which was done by doctor Christa Verity, who has performed the research on ADF that you know, gives us the foundation of the recommendations that we make. Everything we recommend is based on Christa Verity's research. So why is it five hundred calories? Well, she says in her book The Every Other Day Diet, she specifically says why five hundred calories? She's like, because that's the number that we got the best results with. Now, she doesn't define best results clearly, she just says that's the number we got the best results with, not zero, not six hundred, not nine hundred, but five hundred, five hundred was the recommendation they could make that gave universal best results.
Speaker 2: So that's why we say five hundred.
Speaker 1: That being said, I mean we know, you know, if you've read Fast Feast, you've seen me talk about the problem with counting calories. Even if you try to count precisely exactly five hundred what you eat, it's gonna determine how your body processes it. If you had five hundred calories of jelly beans versus five hundred calories of black beans, it's gonna have a very different effect on your body. So calorie counting is imprecise. So if you found yourself at six hundred, that's still a down day. The goideline is five hundred. But it's pretty much impossible for us to exactly quantify five hundred calories. We know that an apple can vary, even if you weigh the apple, the apple can vary. And even like packaging there's numbers on the package. We know there's like a leeway it can be plus or minus.
Speaker 2: There was a great interview on the Zoe podcast maybe a year ago, and the woman that was talking, I don't remember who she was or what her background was, but she was talking about like almonds, that's Sarah Barry.
Speaker 1: Yep, I knew you were going to say that. She's done the research on nuts.
Speaker 2: So she was talking about how, yeah, we know that almonds contain this much energy, but once you eat it and digest it, your body doesn't pull all that energy from the nuts because it just doesn't doesn't break it down that way, it doesn't use it all up. So yeah, you might eat two hundred calories or the nuts, but maybe your body only took one hundred and fifty calories from that two hundred calories. And that's true for all kinds of foods.
Speaker 1: Right, Fiber doesn't get I was explaining that to Will this weekend. We just had Memorial Day and I made potato salad and I was explained to him about resistant starch, uh huh, and how you know you make the potatoes and then you cut them up and you let them cool down, and now we're having this potato salad. I'm like, and so now it's resistant start, and it passes through our body differently, and it feeds our gut microbiomes, so we're not getting all the calories out of here like we would have had it been the original fluffy hot baked potato.
Speaker 2: He's like, wow, that's interesting. It is really fascinating, It really really is.
Speaker 1: So I was like eating my Tata salad and thinking it was like a super food because I'm feeding my gut, my cripple.
Speaker 2: Right, hooray, play a salad.
Speaker 1: Anyway, So for Lark in Denmark, basically we didn't make up the five hundred. It came from doctor Christa Verity and you know, just do your best to stay around that number if you're having a down day.
Speaker 2: I believe for men it was seven fifty. It was five hundred for women and seven to fifty for men in the research. I'm pretty sure it was. She says, fair for everybody. I don't know. Well, maybe it was a research article she posts.
Speaker 1: Has taught a lot of different things because men's.
Speaker 2: Baseline calorie intake is higher than a woman's anyway, and so since it's based off twenty five percent, yeah, their update and down day calories were a little different. Yep. And you know, if you're a very very very active person who's an athlete, and you're a person who's working out every day and you're running miles or crossfitting every day, you know, you may find that seven hundred and fifty calories works for you, yep. But if you're doing it and you're not seeing the results you want, that's when I would say tweak and go back to the five hundred calories. Do what we know works.
Speaker 1: And even the nine hundred versus five hundred, nine hundred is still a very low amount of calories for a whole day, so you would want to have an up day after that. So then people might say, well, what is the number where it doesn't count as a downdate? Well, I can't tell you that, you know, wouldn't it be nice if we had exact here's the exact number that if you do this, then you must exactly do that. And it's just not like that. Boy, it would be easy share if it was right. I can tell you that if you have five hundred calories, the next day should be an update. But what if it's six hundred, What if it's seven hundred, What if it's eleven hundred, what if it's twelve hundred and three? When we don't have specific guidelines because our body's just got a lot going on, and if you're a marathon runner, then it's going to even possibly be different right, yeah, all right. We have a question from Cindy from Tennessee. My question is about the ADF down day meal. With my ADF down day meal, can I include a flavored, zero calorie, unsweetened sparkling water or an herbal iced tea.
Speaker 2: You absolutely may. I was going to say that too. I'm glad you said that you may eat or drink whatever you like in your meal, because once you open your fast, once you stop fasting to have that down day meal, you're having an insulin release. You're taking in food, you're taking in flavors, you're eating it, you're drinking it, whatever you're doing, and then you're stopping and you're resuming your fast until you're update the next day. So if you enjoy a lime, grapefruit, strawberry, whatever, sparkling water with your meal, or an herbal iced tea, go for it. Yep.
Speaker 1: Before we're not trying to prevent an insulin response while we're eating. That's the most important thing. We are never trying to prevent an insulin response during the act of eating, because there's always going to be an insulin response. What we don't want to do is have high insulin twenty five or seven all the time or while we're fasting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the only thing I would caution about on a down day meal is I would not drink your five hundred calories oh good point, because you're not gonna feel great. You know what keeps you from having hypoglycemia when you break your fast is that you are taking in fiber, fat, protein and all this. And if you drink your meal, you may have a really strong insular response because it's gonna hit your body really fast. You're going to digest it really fast. It's not lingering around in your stomach, so you're not going to have a nice subtle blood sugar rays and come back down. You might have a really sharp spike and a fall and you're not going to feel great, and it's just not going to be satiating. It's not gonna get it would be so hungry. Yeah, but yeah, drinking like an herbal tea at that point or a flavored sparkling water, go for it. Yeah, have it with your meal. So we have a tip today from Christine and Texas. We're getting a lot of love from Texas today. Yay Texas. She said, I love you ladies, and I listened to all your podcasts, and I have read all your books. Jin. I am postmenopausal and I have been fasting for approximately four years. My hobby too. I am in maintenance. One day, I promise I will share my story. I have been thinking about sharing for a long time. However, the reason I am reaching out for the first time is I've heard y'all talking about Hershey's and I had to share a discovery. We did talk about Hershey's several weeks ago. Yeah, she says, I have been a food snop for many years. My hobby and I both love to cook, but ever since I started intermint fasting, my snobbery has entered silliness love it. I am very picky about desserts. Unless I love it, it's not worth it. I agree. Case in point milk chocolate. I used to love all chocolate, but now milk chocolate tastes like wax. I thought dark chocolate was the only thing I can enjoy, but if I eat too much, it interferes with my sleep. Our girls got my hobby European milk chalk for Christmas. A toblerne. If you've never had a toblerone, I've never had it. You haven't. No, Well, it's a German chocolate in it. I've seen it. You've seen them, the little triangles. Yeah, it's got little toffee and maybe almond bits in it, but they're just little bits. So while you're eating the little pieces of chocolate, you get some little crunchy bits in there. I took German in high school and so my instructor, mister Ozarzak, he sold those as a fundraiser for the German Club. So anyways, it is very delicious, window worthy chocolate. I haven't had one in years. Well now I'm want to go half some. She says it does not taste like wax and it doesn't affect my sleep. I agree that American candy bar milk chocolate is horrid, but try some European milk chocolate. It's a lovely treat and totally window worthy. Thank you all for all you do. You both do to educate about if what a difference you have made in many people's lives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, quality, man, I'm also silly about silly about my food snobbery.
Speaker 2: I don't need a lot of chocolate. I done either.
Speaker 1: My sister and some friends came not just past week in the weekend before and one of them brought us a hostess gift, this little ten of pecan stuff, like it was all differentnament pecan things. They South Colin has a lot of pecans. Pecans for anyone not from the.
Speaker 2: South Pecon I'm called pecans because pecan. Sorry.
Speaker 1: But it had like some salted ones, and it had some in white chocolate, which is my favorite. It had some that were candied, some in like a little brittle, and one little pile was chocolate.
Speaker 2: Like turtles or they were just chocolate cutes pecans. Yeah, just chocolate cover pecans.
Speaker 1: I was it. So I was eating like a little bit of all of them. And I'd eaten all the white chocolate ones and all the ones that were brittle.
Speaker 2: And then Chad.
Speaker 1: Came for the Memorial Day weekend and Will was over and I'm like, all right, here, take this with you.
Speaker 2: I'm done with all this. All the chocolate were still there. I didn't eat.
Speaker 1: I just didn't want them. That chocolate doesn't call me. Yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 2: I do like a little chocolate sometimes, but I keep things like a like a almost like a trail mix. It's like some walnuts, and I think maybe there's pecans in there and some dried dark cherries and a few pieces of dark chocolate, and I'll take like a little handful, maybe a quarter cup, and that's enough. I get my crunchy that I crave, and then I get that little bit of chocolate and a sweet from the cherries, and that's perfect for me. Yeah. I always preferred white chocolate too. I do not like the regular I just love it. I like Easter, I would get the white chocolate bunny. Really, my siblings all got the brown chocolate. Yeah. I just always have loved the white chocolate. I'm vanilla. Yeah, I've always been a dark chocolate girl. Yeah, I mean I do like chocolate.
Speaker 1: I like the taste of it, but I don't like crave it or need it. And apparently I don't choose it if I have an assortment of other things, Like I was eating the regular nuts, not the chocolate ones. Anyway.
Speaker 2: Interesting see, and I'll argue that dark the white chocolate's not even chocolate. Well, okay, whatever, there's no cocoa in it. I didn't name it sherry. It's like faux chocolate. I don't care. I liked it.
Speaker 1: If I had to choose vanilla, ice cream or chocolate ice cream. I would pick vanilla every time, and it has to be good vanilla or I'll like why eat it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I will choose vanilla ice cream over chocolate any day.
Speaker 1: Okay, there we go. We could share ice cream or I could just get two guns.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, before we get to the tweak of the week, I want to take a minute to tell you about crunchy clean skin care makeup. And I don't know about you, but my days just feel better and go smoother when I feel my best. My husband often asks me why I get fixed up on my days off, telling me that he thinks I'm beautiful without makeup and I don't need it. But I have always felt more like me, more motivated, productive, and successful when I take the time to put on a little makeup in the morning and feel pretty. I was not blessed with rosy cheeks or long, dark eyelashes, and that is where crunchy comes in. I feel good knowing that my makeup routine is non toxic and not causing my body any harm. Most days, lately, I apply the tinted sunscreen called Sunlight Cheekmate liquid Blush, and I dab a little of that on my eyelids. For some color, Crunchy shattered water resistant mascara, which is vegan and made without bees wax, and it includes castor oil for long healthy lashes, and it separates and lengthens beautifully. A swipe of their really lovely lip oil, which I love, is not flavored, and I am ready to start my day with a finished glow and my skin is protected from the sun and blue lights. And you might be thinking liquid blush. I know I was, and I know it sounds different, but this is what one of my clients, Mary said about it. She said, I used to use Beauty Counter and there was a whole learning curve with their cream blush, so I was skeptical when I switched over to Crunchy and they had blush in a tube like lip gloss. But I actually love it more than the cream blush. It's subtle, it's buildable, and it's super portable. I swipe it on and lightly pat with my fingers, and then I buff it on with a buffing brush. It looks so natural. I'm totally sold. I recommend it to all my friends now, and I agree. It's very natural. Give some subtle color. And it doesn't look like you're wearing makeup. If you want to know more about non toxic skincare or makeup and you want to know how to get started, feel free to email me at Sherry at Fast Feastrepeat dot com that's Shary with one R s h E R I, or you can visit fast Feastrepeat dot com slash Sherry to learn more.
Speaker 1: And I'm still really loving the soap for my face good, even though I don't like a bar as much as I like today, but it's my face is not breaking out.
Speaker 2: You know how there's an expiration day on skincare products. Yes, did you know that? I do? I never even wail got it. I start of ignored it. I had some charcoal mask, an old beauty counter charcoal mask. You know they've been out of business now for a year, right, But I put it on my face like a week ago Friday, and by Saturday, I had like all of these sores all over my fage, like little blistery sores. I was like, why am I breaking out? Well, I don't even know that it was breaking out so much thinking there was bacteria in that tube. Oh, I mean it was in a tube, but like you swipe it with your fingers, so it's possible bacteria got in there. Ah and so yeah, because when do you ever see my face broke out? Never? And I was like, what is happened? I just woke up and I was like, I look like I'm fourteen years old? What happened? And so yeah, I threw that in the trash. I'm like done with that. Apparently when they say pay attention to the explanation dates, they're not kidding.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I'm out of my beauty counter face wash because that's the first thing I ran out of. They didn't have any more of that even when they were selling off their other stock. But yeah, the crunchy bar is. You know, I tried a few other things from other you know, quote natural and clean because I didn't want to try the bar. I wanted it to be the cream kind of but they all made my face break out. So the crunchy is not so thumbs up on that good.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Cherry, it's funny. I'll just tell this to the audience. Cherry already knows. But like I ordered, I didn't tell Sherry I was ordering it. I was like, all right, I'm gonna try this crunchy and I just bought it, and then Shy said thank you for your order, like.
Speaker 2: She tasted me. So you get like a notification, Yeah, jin Fasting stories dot com, I ordered some soups. Yeah. Anytime I have a new client, they email me as she have a new client, and so I always look to see who it is or somebody like I recognize from community or something. Oh it's Jim Stephens. I was like, oh, I know her.
Speaker 1: That's so funny. I was like, Sherry knows what I'm doing.
Speaker 2: I know. I was like, she's so sly. She didn't even say anything. I wanted to try and see what I thought. But it was funny. I didn't know they'd email you. I mean, I don't mind that they did. I was gonna tell you anyway.
Speaker 1: But all right, now it's time for our tweak of the week. You know, I always say, tweak it till it's easy. But the tweak that works for me might not be the one that works for you. That's why it's super helpful to hear how other intermittent fasters are making intermittent fasting work for them. This is from Rachel in Cincinnati. She said Thank goodness that fasting gets easier as we go. Those early days, getting fat adapted and adjusting her appetite can be a real challenge.
Speaker 2: One challenge for myself.
Speaker 1: Early my mind would become fixated on a food that I would really struggle to put out of my mind and move on, even reasoning with myself that I would be able to have that food later during my window, I just couldn't seem to get the food noise to turn off. The tweak that finally helped me was talking about what I was thinking out loud. I am very fortunate to have several friends and family members that are super supportive with my fasting journey. I ask them to let me vent for just a minute. I tell them I want ice cream right now. I go on to explain the flavor of what I want, how I would prepare it, what toppings, and describe how wonderful it tastes. Nine times out of ten, after I'm done talking out my food noise, it's gone.
Speaker 2: It no longer haunts me, and I can go on with my day.
Speaker 1: Something about talking out my thoughts and feelings about the food allows me to experience, in part, the play sure my mind and body are seeking from that craving. Getting that pleasure bomb gives me enough of what I need and.
Speaker 2: I can move on.
Speaker 1: Additionally, later when I open my window, I'm much more successful at making a rational decision about whether or not I truly want the craving instead of caving into my pervasive thoughts just to make it go away. This has been a game changing tool for me in teaching my body and mind that hunger and cravings are not an emergency.
Speaker 2: I love that exercise. That's great.
Speaker 1: I love it too. You're processing your food noise. Honestly, it's what you're doing instead of trying to ignore it. You're processing it in a way that works for you, that is well put. And I am really excited I'm writing this down.
Speaker 2: When you think about when you're eating it, part of the pleasure you're getting from is from the taste and the textures and the flavor and the whatever, and so if you could like verbalize that and talk about but it's almost like you're getting to experience. I mean, who can't imagine what creamy vanilla ice cream tastes like with a little hot fudge on it? And I just talked about it, and I can taste it in my head.
Speaker 1: I've actually used that strategy before when I was having a craving, not real hunger, but a craving for something, or like when you know, when I went to breakfast with my sister and the friends. They were eating and I didn't want to eat it was too early, and I sat there and had black coffee, and you know, I was like, well, that does look good, you know they had Did they ever take you to the milk and honey cafe here in toad sounds great, that's really good. But I was just having black coffee. Their coffee is also very good. But they have like an avocado toast with egg on it. And some one was having avocado toast with an egg on it, and I looked at it and I thought about it, and I like, for a minute, thought.
Speaker 2: About how it would taste, like, I just thought about it.
Speaker 1: I was like, well, I've had avocado toast with egg on it before, right, I've had their avocado toast with egg on it before. So I just thought about it. How would that be in my mouth? What would it taste like the texture, the texture of it.
Speaker 2: I thought about it.
Speaker 1: I could smell it a little bit because you know, the person next move was having it, and I just drank my black caf And you know, had I actually had the experience of eating it, would it have made that more pleasurable breakfast?
Speaker 2: Not really, right, I know what it tastes like, I'll have it again.
Speaker 1: I didn't need it right then, and I had a lot to do that day, Like I needed to turn over all the laundry on the beds, and I wanted to wash the towels.
Speaker 2: And you wanted that fasting energy I did.
Speaker 1: I wanted the fasty energy, and we'd had a longer window the day before. I took them to brook Green Gardens to eat, and I was like, you know, I really don't need to eat early the second day in a row. Even though this food is window worthy at the Milk and Honey Cafe, I still don't need to have it. And I want the fastest energy. But I didn't feel the least bit deprived. I like processed my food thoughts and imagined if I was eating it, and I was like, all right, And then I had plenty of energy for the rest of the day.
Speaker 2: And then I opened my window up my normal time.
Speaker 1: And I didn't feel like I was missing out. Now. On the flip side, I could have sat there feeling very like VA get to have breakfast and I'm not having it. And I wish I could have a latte and an avocado toes with an egg on it. But I mean, I've had that before, right, I don't have to have it right this minute. I've had it before.
Speaker 2: I've been craving a bacon cheeseburger. We were at a UFL game in Birmingham on Saturday and everybody's eating around me and I'm looking at everybody eating and it's two o'clock in the afternoon and I don't normally eat till I go to work. That night, I had to get leap there and go straight to work, and I was like, I could open my window, but I don't see eaything I want. If they had a really delicious bacon cheeseburger, I would open my window. That's what I decided. Well guess what they didn't. But ever since then, that's all I could keep thinking about is bacon cheeseburger. And something that I do is like, Okay, I'm gonna keep thinking about this and if three days from now I still want to make and cheeseburger. I'm gonna make it happen. Right. I don't have room in my health goals to eat a bacon cheeseburger all the time, but on occasion, I'm gonna eat one. I'm gonna enjoy every bite of it. And so I had told Eric ify Wednesday, if I still want to make and cheeseburger, I'm gonna make some amazing bacon cheeseburgers at home. Now. We shifted the podcast recording this week because of the storms, so we are now recording on Wednesday. We'll not be cooking bacon cheeseburgers stay, but I will be making one tomorrow. And so is that whole delay. And it's gonna taste better tomorrow because I've been thinking about it for four days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, also we get things out of our system, Like you've got that thought, you need to get it out of your system, kind of like you're ready to have that delicious bacon cheeseburger. You delayed it for four days. But you know, I love a good cheeseburger. And you know I go to trivia once a week, and I was eating a cheeseburger pretty much every week cheeseburger and fries, and I was enjoying it. And you know, not that I've ever like forbidden myself from having them, but you know, I don't sit around and have hamburger and French fries at home very often.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I do. I made them for Memorial Day.
Speaker 1: My home cheeseburger was delicious, but I was having the cheeseburger and fries every time I went to my Thursday night trivia and then as time went on, I started enjoying it less right, and I was like, I don't want to eat another cheeseburger at this pub. And so then finally I was like I do not want to eat that, and so now I'm like eating before I go uh huh. I got it completely out of my system and I don't even want it. It's like the most interesting thing by allowing myself to have.
Speaker 2: It, Like literally every week for a year, I probably had the cheeseburger and now you're just burned out. I don't even want it. No, I don't want that more.
Speaker 1: I don't want it, and that that's just such an interesting thing for me. Like I said, I did have a delicious cheeseburger for Memorial Day. I made it and with my potato salad. We had cheeseburgers and potato salad and it was probably way.
Speaker 2: Better than anything you could have got at the trivia bar. Absolutely yeah.
Speaker 1: And I enjoyed the potato salad more than I would have enjoyed the fries. And I mean, I will make oven fries, but I really love a.
Speaker 2: Good potato salad. You know, I make a good one. Anyway, it was delicious and that burger was perfect. You know that whole saying like what you focus on expands. Yeah, So for me, it's like once I was like, oh, bacon cheeseburger sounds good, and then even as I was driving to work, I passed to five guys and I was like, well, they have pretty decent bacon cheeseburgers. But I was like, yeah, I'm gonna stick with my plan for today, and I'm on this challenge not to eat out until I go to the beach. So this is my self imposed challenge. So I was like, Okay, no, just put that on the back burner and when you're home next week, if you still want one, you can make one. And because it's like I already made the decision, like, oh, if you still want that. This week at home, you can make one. I'm not like obsessed with this bacon cheeseburger, right, It's kind of still in the back burner my brain, like bacon cheeseburgers should be good, but because I know that I'm going to enjoy one, it's not pervasive, right, and I can still enjoy my super healthy not a bacon cheeseburger meal.
Speaker 1: Well, it's just like how Rachel said talking about it, should processed it and then she was able to move on. Yeah, like you, you were like, if I want a bacon cheesebur I'll have one on Wednesday, and then we were able to move on.
Speaker 2: Yep, love it all right. Well, we love to leave you with inspiration or motivational quotes, and this week we have a quote from Tileen in New Jersey. My favorite quote, which is also my email tag, is tell me and I forget, Teach me and I remember, Involve me and I learn. She wrote, fasting has changed my life for the better in so many ways. I have taken a food is Medicine course, and after taking the exit exam, I will be a functional, nutrition informed professional. My next goal is to start officially coaching for fasting and overall holistic health. My medical background as an Earth practitioner will blend these two worlds perfectly. I love that, and I love that so much and I do agree. And that's why I tell people, if you're in their community and you're lurking, get involved, because you learn so much by just getting involved.
Speaker 1: Well, it's true, and you know I tell people that too. I say, take some time when you're here. You don't have to make your own post unless you want to make post. Don't make posts. You know some people don't feel like it. It feels a little vulnerable to make a post. But while you're there, take the time to comment on the posts of others. Just do it. Just make And even people are like, well, I'm so new. I can't give advice, Yes you can. You can give advice to people. You can make suggestions. You've been listening to this podcast, you've read the books. I bet you have an idea. And so when you give other people advice, support them, you internalize it, and then you remember the advice for yourself. You're more likely to make a good choice because you just told someone else. You can wait an hour right now, Now you're more likely to wait an hour because you just told someone else to wait an hour, and it just it helps you. Yes, it helps the person who you've given advice to. It helps them to get the feedback from you. But it helps you, possibly even more than it helps the person that you've commented on. I really think, even if you're too shy to make your own post, get in there and start making comments. Even just tell someone you look amazing or congratulations on that, and then answer somebody's question. Thanks so much for listening today. We would love to have you join us in the Delayed on Tonight community, where you can interact with both me and Sherry, plus the most supportive bunch of intermittent fasters you'll find anywhere. Go to Jenstevens dot com slash community to join us.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to subscribe to this podcast to your favorite podcast app, and if you haven't already, please leave us a five star review that helps new listeners find the show and we really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: We are a community driven podcast, so to submit your success stories, your questions, your favorite tweak it till It's Easy moments, or anything else you want us to share on the podcast, go to fast Feast, Repeat dot com, slash submit, and then listen each week to see if we share your submission or answer your question.
Speaker 2: Until next week. Thanks for listening, Think