Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from kf I AM six forty.
Speaker 2: The closing ceremonies were pretty lame. I thought they were not very impressive. They really weren't. And then the Tom Cruise thing. Come on, guys, really, you know what? Now a page out of mission predictable and.
Speaker 1: Now handle on the news, ladies and gentlemen. Here's Bill Handley.
Speaker 2: And good morning everybody.
Speaker 3: It is now a Tuesday, August thirteenth, Taco Tuesday, and I won It's been a while since I've actually had tacos on Tuesday. I'm going for it, you know.
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: The issue is Del Taco or Taco Bell.
Speaker 3: And when, Neil, you know, when was the last time either Del Taco or Taco Bell used meat in their tacos?
Speaker 4: Oh? Come on, they use meat?
Speaker 2: What parts of meat?
Speaker 4: Now you're digging a little deep?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Is it the parts of meat? Cheap hot dog manufacturers?
Speaker 4: Won't you it me? I don't pick up. Actually, I don't pick on our lovely local brands.
Speaker 2: I happened to are they both local? Taco Bell and.
Speaker 4: Uh well, Taco Bell. Most certainly Taco Bell is out a yummy brand or young brands in Irvine.
Speaker 5: I understand they may own it, but it's uh. I don't know where they start, but it came out. It came out of California. Okay, dey'll Taco I think did too. They purchased.
Speaker 4: Oh gosh, what was it before, knoh little bit that starts with a G. No noggles, not with the gen noggles. They purchased noggles, which was all right.
Speaker 3: Well anyway, I just just a quick word about Taco Bell and Devill Taco and Taco Tuesday.
Speaker 2: I just run off.
Speaker 3: And by the way, I happened to like those kinds of tacos, you know, the crispy shell tacos.
Speaker 2: They's just my thing. Okay, let's say let's say hello to one and all Amy. Good morning, good morning. Oh, I have a fun story to tell you.
Speaker 3: And good morning, Neil, Good morning, Willie Wolf, Hello Ann, Good morning Bell, and Neil and no, yeah, I just did Neil kno, good morning, good morning.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So I'm now going to share with you a story about my early days of practicing law. And I was in court on some motion and the judge stopped the motions to a ragn A whole group of hookers.
Speaker 2: That had been caught up in a sting.
Speaker 3: And they also they all came in at one time just to plead guilty or not guilty, and of course they all played not guilty. And they were all brought in at one time, and they were all Hispanic because it was they were picked up in a Hispanic part of town in a sting operation. And the judge said, all right, ladies, we have to take a break on your arguments.
Speaker 2: Here come the taco bells.
Speaker 3: Now today you can't say that, but this was a judge saying this about a group of Hispanic hookers or.
Speaker 2: Purported hookers who had been picked up in stings.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a wow, it's a wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah all the time.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine doing that today? Well, you know, Amy, go back.
Speaker 3: Fifteen twenty years in this business and tell me what we used to say, and you can't even get close to saying today.
Speaker 6: Well, I've never been able to say it, but you have.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, But in general, I mean stories that were done just in general. All right, crazy different, Yeah, it is crazy different. And what can I tell you? All right, guys, you're ready to do it?
Speaker 3: Yep, we got a lot on the on the table today that we're going to.
Speaker 2: Cover, So let's go right at it.
Speaker 3: Handle on the news on this Taco Tuesday, August thirteenth, with Amy and Neil and me lead story. Well, that interview between Donald Trump and Elon Musk happened yesterday on X a couple of hours and as expected, Musk has become a fervent Donald Trump follower, especially right after the assassination attempt. Right there he endorsed Trump where he had not before, he had gone the other way after January sixth. Anyway, all softball questions to him, and a lot of the campaign's stump speech challenged by Musk at all in any of his claims. The fun one that I like yesterday and this is and I think it's fair to say even among Trump followers that Trump is scrambling right now to try to figure out how he attacks Harris and Walls, just throwing things against the wall and figuring out what he can do. Yesterday, it was that the crowds that are being generated by the rallies that Harris and Walls are holding, which are now in the tens of thousands, have really upset Trump because Trump, he revels in the size of his crowds, and they are they are big. But right now it looks like Harris is outdoing him. And from what all the reports are, Trump is really focused on the size of crowds.
Speaker 2: He has been for a long time.
Speaker 3: So Trump said that those crowds that you see on the news, they were all generated by a I that in fact, and is a quote, when her plane touches down at the last rally, there was nobody there to greet her. All of those crowds you see were generated by AI. Now, normally I don't believe in many cases what Trump has made. I said, I completely believe him on this one. Why because if you look closely on those crowd photos, it's the same person fifteen thousand times.
Speaker 2: You know, you know what I mean, Come on, you know, he's got to know.
Speaker 4: I don't know who's generating these things. But some of those photos are so funny. It's like arms coming out of the head. Yeah, twelve figures and you're like, who the hell, who the hell's putting this stuff together? Yeah, anyway, African Americans in these pictures too, So yeah.
Speaker 2: No, it's getting it is getting. Now. This is a real race. This is a real race. And now we are. We're gonna see what happens.
Speaker 3: And right now Harris and Walls are on a roll. We'll see how long that lasts. It could be just a honeymoon, it could settle down. Matter of fact, the Trump organization is no longer going to talk much about Biden.
Speaker 2: It was the Harris the.
Speaker 3: It was the Harris administration.
Speaker 2: Joe Biden doesn't exist.
Speaker 3: I mean that they they and that's what they're going to have to do, and they have no they have no choice.
Speaker 4: Well, I will tell you that actually started on the other side because I was starting to read in stories news organizations referring to it as the Biden Harris administration instead of the Biden administry.
Speaker 3: Well, it's true, and and to an extent it is. It was because she does have influence. Democratic democratic presidents tend to give their vice presidents a lot of if not influence, a lot of power, much more so than Republicans.
Speaker 2: And that is new in history because normally you.
Speaker 3: Just don't give your vice president, if your president anything, you know, he go and say hello to Venezuela. So we're saying what happens. It's it's gonna get really interesting.
Speaker 4: Press are excited because she could.
Speaker 3: The level has exploded because no one was thrilled with Biden. It was no one thought that Biden was going to win.
Speaker 2: I mean it was.
Speaker 3: It was an absolute definitive that Biden was going to lose. And I love this, and this is being dropped is that a lot of the MAGA supporters are arguing that Biden leaving the campaign and Harris taking over is unconstitutional.
Speaker 2: Because it was.
Speaker 3: Biden who was elected in the primaries and Harris would not get one vote, it's unconstitutional for her to run.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I don't think any lawsuits have been filed yet, but I heard that being bandied about. We're gonna hear a lot of stuff as the Trump campaign is going to throw everything it can to see what sticks.
Speaker 6: Well, it's got to.
Speaker 7: They were ahead in almost everything. Yeah, and all of a sudden they're not. So I imagine they are scrambling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have to scram because they what they did is they spend a year anticipating and planning for a fight with Biden.
Speaker 2: All of a sudden there's someone new. They have to reorganize completely what they're doing. And one of the things we're told, or I was told, I looked at. It's a very disciplined.
Speaker 3: Campaign on the Trump side, except for Trump, who is very undisciplined.
Speaker 2: And we know that, all right.
Speaker 6: Little shaky shaky.
Speaker 7: We had a four point four magnitude quake yesterday shortly afternoon, hit at twelve twenty southeast of Highland Park.
Speaker 6: Woke me up from my nap. Did you guys feel it?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Oho, you didn't.
Speaker 3: I was in my kitchen and putting in a Costco burrito and I guess nothing gets in the way of that in terms of my attention. I did you in an Orange County? I am in Orange County, but I mean and.
Speaker 4: I were, you know, a couple of miles from the epicenter.
Speaker 2: I did, and it became it was a huge national news story. It was four point three.
Speaker 6: That's four point four or.
Speaker 3: Four point four A truck rumbling, A truck rumbling past you is well anyway, I didn't feel it was in the way it was felt.
Speaker 4: It felt different. It was quite bizarre.
Speaker 3: And whenever I loved listening to radio whenever there's an earthquake, because we immediately start taking phone calls from people.
Speaker 2: What do you feel?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 2: I felt it shaking and let's go to Fred. What happened? How'd you feel it was shaking?
Speaker 4: Listen, let's go what listeners like that? They do they want to hear what's going on and you don't.
Speaker 2: I'm taking fun, Neil, I'm making fun of it. Okay, Wow? Am I making fun of listeners?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I've never done that before in my life.
Speaker 7: It was different though than others because it wasn't It wasn't the jolting like some of them are jolting, and this one was. It was shaking and it was rumbling, and it did feel like a huge truck was driving.
Speaker 6: By, but as much as big massive Okay yea fascinated by earthquakes, me.
Speaker 4: Too, like that.
Speaker 2: They're fine, aren't they?
Speaker 6: Well they are if they don't do damage and kill anybody.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And they're free too. I mean you pay money to get those at various thick parts. This one's absolutely free.
Speaker 6: Universal Studios. Didn't they have an earthquake? They do? They did?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the earthquake thing? Yeah, yeah, all right.
Speaker 4: Is Israel in the United States, of course, are preparing for the potential of an Iranian attack on Israel as efforts to secure a ceasefiber cease fire rather in Gaza intensifies, so more of the is it coming and Iran saying this is part of the punishment. You have to wait.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're just there. We're just waiting. Everybody is waiting for Iran.
Speaker 3: And Iran has to attack because it says it said it is going to attack. I mean, there's no way it can back that down, not backpedal that one.
Speaker 2: The only issue is to what.
Speaker 3: Extent Last time out they sent one hundred missiles in to direct attack from me Iran into Israel and then once the missiles, most of them, the vast majority, were taken out, the other ones landed. There was virtually no damage, one person wounded, and then Iran backed off.
Speaker 2: We did the attack. Now done. Now the question is are they going to go balls to the walls?
Speaker 3: How do you say balls to the wall and FARSI, I don't know, but they're going to go balls to the walls. And then we're going to see if if a regional war does break out, and it's going to be at the same time, not just Iran with whatever direct attack, and.
Speaker 2: It's going to be by missiles and drones, etc. I mean, they're not going to have boots on the ground.
Speaker 3: Hezblat to the north is going to do the same thing, and Israel is looking at an all outwar three fronts north, figuring out what to do with a rock they're coming in?
Speaker 2: Where is it coming in?
Speaker 3: And then of course what's happening in Gaza if you want to call it a front where the Palestinians are getting just a crap kicked out of them, where it's not a battle at all, and it's so one sided Naza.
Speaker 7: Another storm is brewing, this one named tropical Storm Ernesto. It's in the Atlantic and it's racing, as forecasters say, toward the Caribbean and Puerto Rico with heavy rainfall, gusty winds, and high seas. It's going to bring tropical storm conditions, including potentially damaging winds and rainfall to the Leeward Islands as early as today, and then we'll spread across the Virgin Islands and Porto Rico by this evening and then it could eventually head towards Bermuda.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's going to swing up to the east and it looks like it's not going to hit mainland United States, and it's moving. When you said racing twenty eight miles per hour. I don't remember last time a storm was moving that quickly. What caused the torrential rains with Hurricane Debbie is it was parked over parts of the Carolinas, moving at less than three miles an hour. When it goes this quickly, the cell goes in and out. You've seen ray clouds come, drop the rain and then leave. That's a fast moving cell. This one is, as Amy said, racing. I mean it's moving through there in earnest.
Speaker 6: Oh, okay, I get it.
Speaker 2: No, thank you, Hey still early, still early.
Speaker 4: No, that was really good, Bill, Yeah, solid, getting a thumbs up from Kono, so.
Speaker 6: You know it's got to look at him chuckling over there.
Speaker 4: Weird ass story. Officials have recovered the body of a missing twenty year old woman at the Grand Canyon, and this was a multi day search. The weird part is that her death marked the third reported death in the national park. They had the base jumper. If you remember, on August first, you had gosh, another person that was standing way too close to the edge of the rim that fell four hundred feet to their death, and now this one all within one week.
Speaker 3: Do you think I need a bigger sign there at the edge saying get away from the edge, schmuck. As you know, you think you people taking selfies and they're moving backwards.
Speaker 4: It's there's an old saying bill, and that is when you build something and make it full proof, they'll just build a better fool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good point though.
Speaker 6: The gondola projects chugging along.
Speaker 7: A judge has rejected a lawsuit from opponents of the Dodger Stadium to Union Station gondola project, the one that's going to go over neighborhoods if it gets built. It's been challenged on the basis of whether the environmental review was done correctly, but the judge said, nope, we're good, and so it's back on track and if it moves forward, it's scheduled to be completed ahead of the Olympics in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 3: And by the way, you have to give credit to those people that are against the gondola filing the lawsuit saying that the environmental review was not appropriately followed, that they care that much about the environment. I mean, they don't have a problem with the gondola per se, but what they want to do is make sure the environment is protected.
Speaker 4: Well I think huh, maybe not. The biggest concern is all the urinating and pooping from the gondolas down on to the people below.
Speaker 3: That's the way, that's the way it got That's that's why it got rid of the skytram in Disneyland. Remember you can go from one in Disneyland to the other on that sky tramp. Those Well, no, it actually happened. You know.
Speaker 2: I used to do that when I was a kid. And you take toothpicks.
Speaker 3: And you drop them from the gondolat and it hit people on the head and.
Speaker 2: They didn't know what him? What? What? What's going on?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: That's what I used to do.
Speaker 4: We're a jerk all the way back then.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 4: There's water and then there are hills. Data from a retired NASA mission has revealed evidence of underground reservoirs of water deep beneath the surface of Mars, and the scientists estimate that there may be so much water trapped in these tiny cracks and pores of the rock that it could fill the entire planet's surface with oceans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, getting to it maybe a little problematic.
Speaker 4: Hey, hey, hey, hey, don't don't cause problems.
Speaker 2: I know, all you have to do is drill down seven miles ten miles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but they said that it would it cover Mars to a depth of one mile, all right, So just you could slide to hear that goad, to hear that.
Speaker 7: CARE cares about somebody who's not allowed to fly any longer. The Southern California based Muslim organization CARE has filed a lawsuit against the FBI, saying it has unfairly targeted Palacetin and Americans for speaking out against the war in Gaza. So this is tied to a guy, Moostafa Zeiden who lives in southern California, and on March twenty eighth, he was going to fly to Jordan, where his mom lives, but he was denied a boarding pass at LAX and then he was told he'd been placed on the no fly list and deemed a threat to national security.
Speaker 4: That no go ahead.
Speaker 6: Oh, I just said, he's been here for like thirty years.
Speaker 3: No, And that no fly list is just a bearer they missed. They mix up people's names, They conflate names and put people who have the same names on the no fly list.
Speaker 2: Getting on the no fly list is very easy.
Speaker 3: How many stories have you've done trying to get people off the no fly list?
Speaker 2: That is horrific. That's a bitch getting off that list.
Speaker 4: What in this particular case, it seems that he hasn't he visits his mom in Jordan. But the main thing is that he says he has been leading weekly protests in Victorville condemning the war in Gaza. Is the only thing that's changed.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that's going to put you on the no fly list, because that may be tens of thousands.
Speaker 2: Of people would be on the no fly list. So I don't know if that works or not.
Speaker 3: But you know, for example, there's a huge Muslim population in London, and every one of those named Mohammed, they go around calling themselves Mo.
Speaker 2: No one says they're Mohammed.
Speaker 4: They're all Mo.
Speaker 2: For this reason.
Speaker 3: I don't know how I put that together. It made no sense to me either. Okay, let's move on, all right.
Speaker 4: LL Flooring closes ninety four stores, files for bankruptcy. You may remember them better known as their previous name lumber Liquidators. They said that it's nearly one hundred and ten million in long term debt. Debt debt rather sorry, in filings made in Delaware bankruptcy Court this past Sunday. So the crazy thing about this, and I didn't even know this is legal, but ll Flooring said it will stop accepting gift cards at all of its locations, including the ones that are that aren't shuddering. But that's one hundred and thirty one million dollars in outstanding gift Yeah, that's it is.
Speaker 2: It is legal.
Speaker 3: If you've declared bankruptcy, then it is legal. Then part of the bankruptcy, it is part of debt that's being restructured, and the court has the ability to say that's wiped out.
Speaker 2: What is illegal is not honoring a gift card forever. Remember they used to be there.
Speaker 3: You'd buy a gift card and they would expire after a year or two. That still is illegal. As long as you're in business, you have to accept a gift card.
Speaker 4: So they have some of their but some of their stores aren't shuttering.
Speaker 3: Right, So the point is is that not accepting it. I think this is part of the lawsuit and it makes sense as long as but keep in mind, it's still the bankruptcy just because the stores keep ongoing and they're still filing for Chapter eleven, and therefore the bankruptcy judge can say those.
Speaker 2: Gift cards are no longer in.
Speaker 3: Effect like leases, those are debt too, And the bankruptcy court says, Okay, you're out of that lease because this store is losing money.
Speaker 2: That's what happens is bankruptcy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but a lease is promised money. This is actual money.
Speaker 2: I understand.
Speaker 3: But how about when you've got EUROLSC and the and the landlord puts in real money, or you put in real money for tenant improvement. That's real money spent. That all disappears when you declare bankruptcy. Yeah, I mean that's yeah, Neil, that's the law.
Speaker 4: Shady.
Speaker 2: They used to be shady.
Speaker 3: You remember the real license they used to do commercials here on KFI.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember, yeah.
Speaker 7: RFK Junior's bid to become president is getting a bit tougher after a New York judge has ruled that his that he.
Speaker 6: Can be pulled off the ballot.
Speaker 7: And here's why Democratic voters and supporters are supported by clear choice. Pack claimed the Kennedy violated state law by listing a New York address as his residence on the petition to get on the ballot despite living in California.
Speaker 2: Hey, you can't do that, I guess, but I have a question. This is interesting.
Speaker 3: He just wants to be on the ballot as a presidential candidate. Candidates live in one place. And maybe it's because he said he lived in New York.
Speaker 7: Well, he said that he has lived in New York for most of his life, and he says he still has a technically a room that he rents there, but he's been living here with his wife since the mid twenty tens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but what does that, I mean, what does that matter?
Speaker 3: This is a national election, and you know, as long as you're a native American, doesn't matter where you live.
Speaker 2: That's part I don't understand.
Speaker 7: Oh, because you're like like with Hillary Clinton when she she had to moved, she had to move to.
Speaker 3: She had to move to New York. Robert Kennedy when he ran for the Senate had to move into the state because that's a requirement.
Speaker 2: So I don't get this. But it doesn't matter. We're the end of our hour anyway, so that becomes a throwaway.
Speaker 3: KFI AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show, Catch My Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app