Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County KFI Radio.
Speaker 3: This is Mission Control, Houston.
Speaker 2: Please call station for a voice check station.
Speaker 1: This is Amy King with kfi's wake up call.
Speaker 4: How do you hear me?
Speaker 5: I can hear you loud and clear, and.
Speaker 2: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 6: And his name is Amy King.
Speaker 7: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 8: This is.
Speaker 1: Good morning. This is your wake up call for Friday, March twenty first. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Whether you're listening on the app or over the airwaves. We're happy that you're here to start your Friday with us. You just heard that intro to the show with Colonel Mickhaigu, who's safely back on Earth and in quarantine. And then SpaceX launched another rocket last night. Man, they're busy. We got March Madness underway. Will's wearing his UCLA T shirt.
Speaker 9: Yeah, much to the chagrin of Cono.
Speaker 4: Cono, did all your brackets get busted yesterday? All of them?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 4: He was he happing me? You have twenty two and they're all busted. Yeah, well that was fun.
Speaker 10: It was great.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: Our eagles are sleeping away in a nest high above Big Bear.
Speaker 4: Like I'm still obsessed with watching them. I did not dream about them last night like I did the night before.
Speaker 1: And I got to tell you, they're so funny to watch now because like the one just keeps sitting on the other one. I'm sure it's a dominance thing, but he just like sits on his head. He's like, I'm not done with my food yet, and just sits on him. They're kids there, just rambunctious little kids. And it's also it's a Disney day. I got my Disney Spirit jersey on head into Disneyland after the show today.
Speaker 4: Haven't been for a while, so I'm excited.
Speaker 8: Fun.
Speaker 1: Yep, they got food and wine festival going on, so I will be partaking in both food and wine. Here's what's ahead on your Friday morning wake up call. A man who allegedly stole a car, led police on a chase, and caused a crash that killed a San Bernardino County Sheriff's deputy has pleaded not guilty to second degree murder. The crash happened Monday. Deputy Hector Kuavos Junior was killed in the crash that split his patrol car in two. Ryan Turner was arrested later that day. Residents of a forty seven unit apartment complex in Altadnev held a rally. They're calling for their homes to be fixed two and a half months after they were damaged and eaten fire. The building is still standing, but it's damaged. Residents say they don't have electricity or gas, and there's mold, burned walls and ash. Residents say they just want their units cleaned up and utilities restored. Hours after President Trump signed an executive order calling for the dismantling of the Department of Education, LA School Superintendent Alberto Carvallo said that undermining current funding levels could prove to be catastrophic to the quality of education for students. We're going to get more about what's getting cut and what's not and what's next with ABC's Karen Travers in just a couple of minutes smoking a.
Speaker 4: Lot of weed.
Speaker 1: ABC's Jim Ryan's going to tell you why, if you care about your heart, you might want to cut back. We're also talking tracked homes and how you can make them a little more homey with the house whispered Dean Sharp and Hi Ho ABC's Willgans will tell us about Disney's latest offering and what's good on the stream that's coming up before the end of the hour. So much going on, Let's get right to it and get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. UCLA's being sued by a group representing pro Palestinian protester.
Speaker 9: The Council on American and Islamic Relations, says the school failed to protect protesters during last year's demonstrations against the war in Gaza. Student Benyamin more Josef says he was abused by campus police when he was taken into custody.
Speaker 11: I haven't forgotten the pinch a tightly wound plastic on my wrist as I waited on those cold metal bus seats. I couldn't imagine that my pain would ever end. The pain my university decided that I deserve.
Speaker 9: UCLA has also been targeted for federal review for its alleged treatment of pro Israeli protesters and Jewish faculty and staff during the demonstrations. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: ARST investigators are looking into an explosion at a home in Pacoima that may have been caused by a guy making fireworks. A man in his twenties suffered critical burns yesterday. He's still in the hospital. There were four dogs at the home. One appeared to be stuck in the rubble by its leash. It was rescued by firefighters. Twenty six families had been displaced because of the explosion.
Speaker 4: The number of.
Speaker 1: Homeless people counted in the twenty twenty five Greater LA Homeless count has dropped five to ten percent.
Speaker 4: The count was done last month.
Speaker 1: The Los Angeles Homeless Service Authority says if the numbers hold up, they're in line with last year, when the number of homeless people in the city was down almost eleven percent and down in the county five percent. The final numbers from this year's count expected later this spring or in early summer. SpaceX has completed a successful spy satellite launch from the coast to Santa Barbara.
Speaker 12: County three two one technician slift off of the Falcon nine Go SpaceX Go ROL fifty seven.
Speaker 1: The Falcon nine rocket lifted off from Vandenberg Space Force Base just before midnight last night. The same rocket booster launched a mission on March eleventh, marking the fastest turnaround time for a rocket booster in SpaceX history. Let's say good morning to ABC's Karen Travers. So, Karen, the President signed the executive order yesterday that he says was forty five five years in the making.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he says this begins the process of eliminating the Department of Education, saying that states should have more control. The President said yesterday we're going to shut it down as quickly as possible. Now. It's important to note that in order to end and get rid of a federal agency or department, it requires congressional action, legislation, and that would require sixty votes in the Senate, and that seems very unlikely given the part is in breakdown right now with Democrats, of course. But the President and his team and the Secretary of Education Linda McMahon are trying to take the agency down to studs, you know, strip it down as much as they can. It was already the smallest cabinet level agency. Nearly half of the staff have been laid off, and now they're saying they're going to shift as many functions as possible to other agencies and departments so that some critical services can continue. But again, they're really trying to just break it down as much as they can, even if they can't fully officially eliminate it because of Congress.
Speaker 1: Right, So I was just going to say, they can just gut it, like you said, take it down to the studs. So technically it's still there if Congress won't remove it, but it will effectively be useless exactly.
Speaker 3: And you know that's you could say, somebody else could reconstitute it in another administration another time if it's still you know, existed by statutes. But obviously, like the key functions, the staff, all of that will have been reduced so dramatically.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now, the President did say that like key components of people receiving funding are not going to be affected, So which ones are those?
Speaker 3: So what the White House cited yesterday was funding for low income students and students with disabilities and special needs resources. There also the programs that the process for students to apply for college financial aid. Those are things that are run at the national level at the Department of Education, residents said yesterday they will continue uninterrupted with no disruptions. That is what the White House and the Secretary of Education we're saying too. But there's a big thing here. They're also saying they're going to get shifted to other agencies and departments, that those you know, programs would be operated somewhere else. But they haven't said how that's going to work and which agencies would be doing it. So that is, of course, you know, that type of uncertainty is sparking concerns among educators, education advocates, and parents across the country.
Speaker 1: Okay, and in his when he signed the executive order, he cited some pretty dismal numbers like that's just crazy, which I think would bolster the argument that this agency is not doing what it needs to.
Speaker 3: Do, you know, and I think the supporters of this will say that this will cut the red tape, they will cut bureaucracy and enable state and local jurisdictions to have more control.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 3: Acounter to that is that the Education Department doesn't administer currica or create lessons for students across the nation.
Speaker 4: Didn't it do common for though.
Speaker 3: In local school districts that well I'm kind of broadly speaking, I don't know where the statuses of that. I just to look into a non education expert on these specifics on that. But most of the funding for public schools is provided by state and local governments as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have so many more questions and we don't have any more time, so we'll have to do it again.
Speaker 3: Great, are you?
Speaker 4: Thank you, Karen Drivers.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. LA Mayor bass is said to announce a new emergency executive order intended to help people in Pacific Palisades affected by the wildfires in January. The order will speed up the rebuilding of homes and businesses in ways, the mayor says better protect against wildfires and other climate fueled disasters. The LA Department of Water Empowers repaired or replaced many of the broken fire hydrants flagged last year.
Speaker 14: The number of non functioning hydrants came to light following January's deadly Palisades fire. The early time for reports of the thirteen hundred fifty broken hydrants, twelve hundred and eighty nine have been addressed. More than eight hundred have been repaired. Nearly one hundred and fifty replaced. Six were actually working but just needed water turned on at a nearby valve.
Speaker 1: Kfi's Jim Roops says almost two hundred hydrids that were flagged as broken were actually still functioning, and the DWP is working with the LA Fire Department on a better system to fix fixed busted hydrants moving forward. More than two hundred breweries around the world are helping raise money for LA wildfire relief efforts. Breweries are creating their own beer that they're calling we Love LA. The beers will all be different beers, but they will all have the same logo and a QR code that directs them to a donation website. Great way to raise some money. The European Union has delayed its first counter tariffs against the US until mid April to allow for more time to have discussions with the Trump administration. ABC's and As de la Caterra says that gives Americans a little more time to stock up on French wine at current prices.
Speaker 15: As retaliatory tariffs came in response to President Trump's tariffs on European medals. Trump responded to Europe's proposed tariffs by threatening to implement a two hundred percent tariff on alcohol coming from Europe.
Speaker 1: An EU spokesperson says the slight change in the timeline will not diminish the impact of the EU's response. The NTSB says transportation authorities in Maryland did not do a proper risk assessment of Baltimore's Key Bridge before it collapsed last year.
Speaker 3: Had they done that, the collapse could have been prevented.
Speaker 1: Six construction workers were killed when a cargo ship hit one of the bridge's pillars. NTSB chairwoman Jennifer Homendi says dozens of bridges across the US should have risk assessments done. The list includes California's Golden Gate and Coronado Bridges, plus New York's Brooklyn Bridge, Vera Zano, and George Washington Bridges. A federal judges temporarily blocked the Department of Government Efficiency from social Security systems that hold personally I identifiable data on millions of Americans, and the judge's order also requires DOZE to delete any identifiable data it already has. Labor unions in retirees asked for the emergency order limiting doze's access to the agency. The department has led the widespread rediction in the federal workforce. Three people have been indicted in San Diego for allegedly using children to grow and distribute magic mushrooms. Prosecutors say a married couple and another man from Fallbrook and Oceanside used a nine and an eleven year old to help them cultivate, harvest, and sell psilocybin mushrooms, sometimes the children. The members of Guns N' Roses are saying goodbye to one of their longtime members.
Speaker 16: The band announced that drummer Frank Fair had taken his final bow in the Jungle and has left the group. The band is assuring fans it was an amicable exit. Fair had been with gn R for the past nineteen years. The band made the announcement on their Instagram and said they wish him success on his musical journey. Leading Your Eyes Axl Rose has been the only consistent member since the band began in nineteen eighty five. The broker Kfi news Hey.
Speaker 4: The Wiggle Waggle Walk is just over two weeks away.
Speaker 1: It's happening on Sunday, April sixth, and we would love for you to join us. We're going to be out at the Rose Bowl and we're walking to raise money for Pasadena Humine, who they're doing such great work to help animals. They help thousands of animals every year and this year just add an extra one or two thousand on because of the wildfires, and you know all of the rescue work that they do and the care work and the ICU of treating animals not only burned animals just but also animals who come in and are sick and need to be nursed back to health before they can be adopted to the forever family. Pasadena Humane does all that and we need your help to help them. So we're looking to raise ten thousand dollars and we can do that with your help, So please come walk with me. I'm going to be out there at Brookside Park the Rose Bowl the Wiggle Waggle wake up Call Wigglers.
Speaker 4: I just added some extraverbage.
Speaker 1: But anyway, it's a wake up call wigglers, and we're gonna put the team together and we're all gonna walk and with our dogs and enjoy a beautiful Sunday morning at the Rose Bowl. And it's super easy for you to do it. All you need to do to donate. If you can't come out or join the team is go to KFI AM six forty dot com slash Wiggle and along with the walk, there's also vendors and food trucks and samples for the pups, and training demonstrations and even a dog costume contest. And when you stop by the KFI booth, we have some exclusive KFI swag for the pups. Quantities are limited, but anyway, love to have you join us. Put on your walking shoes, put the dog on a leash, and join us for the Wiggle Waggle Walk and Run for Pasadena Humane April sixth, just two weeks away.
Speaker 4: Just came up fast, okay.
Speaker 1: Wallmakers and Sacramento are making moves to take more of your money. The California Tax Foundation says lawmakers have introduced thirty six proposals so far this year to raise taxes and fees. They include taxes on gas, prepaid phones, emergency flares, and public transportation tickets to sporting events. In La the White Houses acknowledged the social security numbers of more than four hundred former congressional staffers and others were made public with the eighty thousand pages of JFK assassinate assassination files that were just released. The White House says it is doing what it can to mitigate the harm from that exposure. The UCLA's men's basketball team moving on to the next round of the NCAA Tournament. The seventh seed Bruins easily beat Utah State seventy two forty seven.
Speaker 4: Last night.
Speaker 1: UCLA faces second seed Tennessee Saturday night in Kentucky. Sorry, kno, All twenty two of his brackets are busted. I'm so sorry. I feel bad for you. Here's something else that's busted. Airport at six oh five is handle on the news. The airport's closed because of a fire. We'll tell you what's going on with that. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan.
Speaker 4: Dude, that weed is going to kill you.
Speaker 6: It is one way or another, I think. But yeah, I mean, people talk about it. It's safe mine, it's natural, it comes out of the ground, it's earth right. Well, sure, okay, there are a lot of things. But this new study that is published this week in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology points out something that maybe a lot of people didn't think about. That cannabis use can damage your heart. Daily use of cannabis, predominantly through smoking, was associated with a twenty five percent increased likelihood of heart attack. But it goes beyond that. Second study that is newly published shows that the use of cannabis raises your heart attack risk by six times. So I mean it's remarkable, And this isn't just a couple of people involved in this. Four point six million people in the US, all of them fifty years were younger. Their medical records were looked at. So I think the next step amy is to is for rich researchers to get a group of actual people in front of them, some smoke, others who don't smoke or use cannabis, and take a look at them. But four and a half million people had their medical records looked at.
Speaker 1: Okay, so and you said daily, So this is daily users, not occasional users.
Speaker 6: Well, occasionally use. Occasional use has its own risks. Less frequent use associated with heart attacks too. Weekly users, so not daily, but weekly users showed a three percent increased likelihood of heart attack and a five percent increased likelihood a stroke. So there are risks even with the occasional use if you consider once a week occasionally.
Speaker 1: Use, So the three and five percent doesn't alarm me as much as the six times more likely.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and these again are two separate studies. The one with the six times a result is even is newer than that one from last year that talked about that smaller outcome. But it's interesting that in the very even in the introduction of this article, this scholarly article, it says, well, it has therapeutic benefits. So it does note that there are things that marijuana does for you that are good for you that apparently you know, helps with glaucoma, helps with PTSD and other emotional issues. But that goes on to say cannabis consumptions linked to adverse cardiovascular outcomes, especially myocardialin function, which is heart attack.
Speaker 1: Okay, and does it say what happens? Because I thought like marijuana should just relax you. So when it's stands to reason that it relaxes everything.
Speaker 6: Well, it also affects your heart rhythm. You probably knew that too. Slows your heart down maybe, but it also increases the demand for oxygen that your heart muscle has. So the very thing that's making you relaxed and kind of chill might be going into your heart and making it need more oxygen certainly slows it down.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, that's just a little bit scary.
Speaker 1: Like I said, the three and five percent, you go, but six times more likely to have a heart attack.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 6: That's the research is what they want to do. It's this is really aimed at physicians. The telling physicians that when you are doing normal checkups on people, you need to ask them about their their marijuna use or their cannabis use, whether they're smoking it or drinking it or vaping it or whatever they might be doing with it. To ask your patients about their use because it could be setting them up for increased risk of heart problems.
Speaker 1: Okay, and that goes back to patients too. When you go into your doctor. It's legal now, so just say, hey, dude, you should know that this is what I'm doing.
Speaker 6: Well even to watch that it isn't. You should be able to trust your doctor. And yeah, yeah, I smoke some. Even if you live in Houston and then it's completely illegal, then.
Speaker 4: I'm very disappointed about that. Jim, Huh, you sound very disappointed.
Speaker 6: I don't live in Houston anyway.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, you're good to go. ABC Jim Ryan, thank you so much for the information.
Speaker 6: See you all right.
Speaker 1: Well, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. State democrats have rejected a Republican lawmaker's plan to reroute money away from the high speed rail project. State Senator Tony Strickland says his plan was to use some of the money to lower the state's gas tax.
Speaker 13: When you, when you're listeners, just check out what it costs for a gallon of gas in Arizona, Michigan, Texas, or Florida, and you're asking why the gas prices are so high here, it's because of the taxes we put on it.
Speaker 1: Strickland's amendment to defund the high speed rail project was defeated twenty eight to ten. Relatives and other supporters of the Menendez brothers are rallied in downtown LA to continue their calls for the convicted killers to be released from prison. Cousin Tamra good Old or Goodel, says La County Da Hawkman has not been fair to them.
Speaker 17: Da Hawkman has dismissed us, ignored us, and quite frankly treated us like we don't matter.
Speaker 1: Hawkman has opposed a new trial and resentencing for the brothers who murdered their parents in Beverly Hills in nineteen eighty nine. The brothers and their supporters claim new evidence of sexual abuse should lead to a chance at freedom. The States reported that more than one hundred and twenty two thousand vote by mail ballots in California haven't been counted. Kim Alexander with the California Voter Foundation says nearly sixty percent of the signature issues with mail in ballots come from first time or young voters between the ages of eighteen and twenty four.
Speaker 17: Part of it, I think is, you know, the vote by mail process is asking voters who are young to do two things they're not very familiar with. Use the US mail, which they don't do that much, and make a signature which many of them, you know, didn't.
Speaker 4: Get taught in school or have never really thought about.
Speaker 1: Don't know how to sign your name. That's interesting. Ballots that are received late are not counted. Those with missing or non matching signatures could result in the voter being contacted to fix the situation. The governor's office is touting a state milestone.
Speaker 8: California now has forty eight percent more electric vehicle chargers than gasoline nozzles. Governor Newsom announced that the state has one hundred and seventy eight thousand, five hundred and forty nine public and shared private EV chargers. The California Energy Commission estimates there are about one hundred and twenty thousand gas nozzles in the state. In a statement, Newsom said, as the federal government works to make it harder for you to charge your electric car, California is doing the opposite. The Commission says the states continuing to invest in EV infrastructure, especially and hard to reach areas, to make them an easy choice for new car buyers. Mark Ronner KFI News.
Speaker 1: The LA Department of Water and Power says it has now repaired a lot of the fire hydrants that needed repairs Following the wildfires. In January, it came to light that thirteen hundred and fifty hydrants in the city weren't working. LEDWPISS. More than a thousand of them have now been repaired or replaced. A couple hundred flagged is broken. We're still working. A group of pro Palestinian students faculty and activists suing you u CLA, claiming the university failed to protect them. They alleged they suffered serious physical and verbal attacks and even sexual assault while they had a camp set up on campus to protest the war in the Guza Strip. Last April, hundreds of thousands of passengers are facing flight cancelations at Europe's busiest travel hub after a fire knocked out power to London's Heathrow Airport.
Speaker 4: The airport had to close.
Speaker 1: It's still closed, affecting at least thirteen hundred and fifty flights in and out of Heathrow, including flights to and from the US. At six oh five channel on the News, Trump has signed an order he says is forty five years in the making.
Speaker 4: What it's going to mean.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning now to the host of Home every weekend right here on KFI the house whisper Dean Sharp. So, Dean, we're taking a look at tracked homes this weekend and how to make them a little more homey.
Speaker 4: Huh, yes we are, yes, we are, okay, So start.
Speaker 1: I think this is interesting because I have a person I know who bought a tract home and one of the options was to make changes before she ever moved in. But after you move in, you can still do some upgrades to make it more like a home and less like a pre fabricated box.
Speaker 12: You know, a well over eighty percent of us live in some version or another of a tract home. And you would think that a custom home designer like myself would be like, you know, looking down our noses at tract homes, but I live in one as well. And the fact of the matter is, you know, the tract home is essentially what has created the middle class homeowner. And so you know, I don't poo poo the idea of living in a tract home. It's simply the thing that has enabled most of us to actually own a home. But you have to understand there are problems that come with tracked homes. There's a very unique set of things that are involvedmanship, you know, is not always that great in a in a tracked home, things like lot orientation, the way the home is facing its street, the directions of the compass. There are that same floor plan is laid out so many different ways in attract it appears so many different times. It's kind of you know, the roll of the dice and yet the windows, the doors, they don't change their orientation. It's one fixed plan regardless of its orientation to the compass. And that's one of the things about a tract home that you can change things like turning windows when necessary in two doors. And when you think about that, you're like, oh, that must be a big thing. It's really not. Imagine taking like a sliding glass door and turning it into a window. Okay, you would take out the door, you would put in a window the same with and then all you would do is build that little wall section up underneath it. It's a pretty simple move in terms of construction. You're not even touching the structure of the house. Well, the opposite of that is exactly how every window and door in a tract home is made. Every window started out as a door, so turning it back into a door is simply removing the window, removing that section of ball underneath, and adding in a door. And when it comes to a bedroom that doesn't have a lot of light coming into it, or a bedroom like in a ranch style house that has access to the backyard through a door, it could be a huge design game changer. So it's one of those things that you can do in a tract home remodel that is relatively little cost compared to a massive, massive payoff.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, And then here's another one that I wholeheartedly agree with, and because I think they were a thing for a while, not so popular now, and that's soffits getting rid of them.
Speaker 12: Yes, soffits are placed in tracked homes in a very very generalized way to leave room for HVAC ducting, you know, air conditioning and heating ducting and things like that, little plumbing things. And the thing about soffits is that whatever space that AC duct needed, it wasn't just confined to that. It was much easier for the builder to just drop the whole ceiling or make the soffit much much larger than it needs to be. And so if we do a little bit of investigating, we find out exactly where the duct is, and I got to tell you nine times out of ten, we can reroute the duct anyway to get to that same space and get rid of soffits completely. And that can change things like entry ways from seven foot ceilings up to eight or nine foot ceilings. Kitchens are notorious for having soffits all around them. Those soffits come out so easily and can make such a big difference.
Speaker 1: Okay, and the real quick you mentioned ceilings, and I love this idea. Maybe get rid of the attic space and put in some vaults.
Speaker 12: Yeah, not everywhere in the house. Not every room in the house needs to have its ceiling vaulted. But there may be I mean, you're if you're already committing to a remodel, there may be some of those prime rooms, rooms like the living room or the kitchen or the family room where if you get in the attic and you actually understand, you know what's up there, there are ways to eliminate the or move the structural elements in the attic. And just to imagine a ceiling line vaulting up in some of these rooms that we spend most of our time in volume, even though you're not changing the square footage, the volume of the room makes all the difference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's just a couple of the things that you can do to make your tracked home more Homie, You're going to find out a whole lot more this weekend. Dean Sharp has a little show on KFI. It's called Home six to eight am on Saturday nine to noon. On Sunday, you can also follow Dean at Home with Dean.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, Dean. We always love talking to you.
Speaker 12: Thanks Amy. Have a great weekend.
Speaker 4: All right, you too.
Speaker 1: Time to get in your business now with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Courtney, Happy Friday, Happy Friday.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, if you're looking into running, you might turn to Nike, and they're running into some problems with their efforts to fix things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Nike has been trying to do a turnaround for some time. They realize that the merchandise pick that they have it's not working out so well. So this morning we are seeing shares taking a big hit in early trading. So they've been in the process of clearing out all of the inventory that people don't really want through big discounts. So a lot of demand has been fading for some of the bigger sneaker franchises. We're talking about the Air Force Ones and the Dunks. But Nike says it sees sales declining further as it continues to reset all the merchandise that it has. So the recent moves that they've been doing to try to attract shoppers is a new fitness line called Nike Skims that's a partnership with Kim Kardashian's underwear brand. They also aired their first Super Bowl commercial in nearly three decades to try to get more people to say, Hey, I'm going to buy some Nike apparel.
Speaker 4: Is Skims doing well?
Speaker 5: Skim seems to be doing quite well. That's one of the products. And again that's why Nike's teaming up with her because that's more of a social media sort of thing, and it seems like Nike has been a bit behind the ball on their marketing and getting people excited about their sneaker brands getting excited about their clothes. They kind of made a lot of mistakes. They had a former eBay CEO, John Donaho. He's no relation to me, by the way. He had a lot more money than me, by the way, but he was He ran Nike for a while and it didn't quite go as well as people were expecting. So now they brought in new people. They're trying to fix a lot of the problem that they have and again trying to go with new upstart sort of brands teaming up with them and saying hey, we're on board. We're hip.
Speaker 4: Now you want to buy some of our stuff. Okay, let's turn to coffee.
Speaker 1: Young people are maybe kicking the habit when it comes to, you know, hanging out at Starbucks.
Speaker 5: Well, you know what they're doing. They're going to a throwback. They're going to instant coffee. Remember that back in the.
Speaker 4: Day, soldiers.
Speaker 5: Yes, folders and more brands.
Speaker 1: Are waking up.
Speaker 4: Is folders in my cup.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 5: But a lot of people who are buying this weren't even alive when that commercial was kind of hot back in the day. Because it seems like a lot of gen z there. It's growing the fastest in buying instant coffee, and sales of instant coffee rose twenty four percent last year compared to the two years prior. That's according to data that we found from Nielsen. But one of the big problems is coffee is just so darn expensive in midtown here Midtown Manhattan, a twelve and which is very similar to where you guys are, a twelve ounce cup of Starbucks costs three dollars and forty five cents. On the other hand, if you were to make Starbucks instant coffee, and now they have instant coffee VA. Yeah, if you were to do it at home, it's about thirty.
Speaker 4: Six cents a cup, so that's a big difference. I like that idea.
Speaker 1: Okay, markets, to wrap up the week, anything we should be watching for.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well this morning we're looking at more losses ahead, and one stock we are watching is FedEx that's tumbling in pre market trading. Along with Nike, they lowered their full year financial outlook. FedEx is the latest company to say, you know what, there's going to be a big fallout from the trade war. So they're they're considered a big economic bell weather because of their exposure to so many different industries out there, and they actually added which is kind of interesting and somewhat sad, that their latest outlook assumes that the global economic and trade environment doesn't get any worse, and not a lot of people.
Speaker 14: See that getting any better.
Speaker 5: So S and P futures right now they're down about seven tons of percent, continue to fall lower. ZAL futures down three hundred points.
Speaker 4: Alrighty Courtney, Dona who Donna who? Donahoe?
Speaker 1: That's okay what I answered to whatever, Hey hi ho.
Speaker 13: Hi ho.
Speaker 1: We're also gonna be talking to Will Ganson just a minute. That just reminded me. So it was a little bit of a rhyme. Blueberry, Courtney, Dona who see, I did it again. I love it. I know, Will, what's going on? Maybe I'm just sad because you know what, it's one of two things. Either I'm really bummed that I haven't had enough coffee, or I'm very sad for Kno who had all twenty two of his brackets busted.
Speaker 12: Oh most people did, Amy, It's not just me, Okay, most people did.
Speaker 5: My brackets were good.
Speaker 4: My brackets are Courtney's hanging in there. Okay.
Speaker 5: Words, I only made one mistake, one mistake.
Speaker 4: Bluebirgs, Courtney, Donna Hoe. Thank you.
Speaker 3: There we go.
Speaker 12: We'll get later.
Speaker 4: We'll get in your business again on Monday. Thanks so much.
Speaker 5: I have a great weekend, everybody.
Speaker 1: A series of late winter storms in the Southland has helped, but the region is still coming up short with water. The total volume of stormwater captured by Los Angeles County is nearly twelve billion gallons, but still downtown LA has only received six and a half inches of rain since October. That's less than half the annual average of fifteen point four inches. The European Union says it's going to delay retaliatory tariffs against the US. Tariffs on US whiskey and clothes were set to start April first, but the EU says it is putting them off until mid April to allow for more time to negotiate. The EU tariffs are on the table in response to President Trump's twenty five percent tariffs on European aluminum and steel. California is expanding its electric vehicle charging network. Governor Newsom says the state already has more than one hundred and seventy eight thousand public and shared private electric vehicle chargers and is going to put in more. Newsom's office is California and now has forty eight percent more EV chargers than gas nozzles in the state. We're just minutes away from Handle. On the news this morning. The big news is Mo Kelly's in for Bill Handle. You're gonna have a lot of fun. Can't wait to talk to him, Moe. Also, it's time to talk to Will gans Hi.
Speaker 10: Ho Will, It's off to the movie theater we go, Amy, Good morning.
Speaker 4: It is yes, it is snow white.
Speaker 10: Huh yeah, So this is some critics are saying that this is Disney's best live action remake so far. You know, yeah, not everybody is as enthusiastic about it, but what most people are agreeing on is that Rachel Zegler is a star, that she is just charismatic and just carries this movie effortlessly. And of course, like if you've heard her sing ever, you know, she was in West Side Story when Steven Spielberg did it a couple of years ago.
Speaker 7: She's she's just so good.
Speaker 10: So it's a snow White that's been updated, you know for a twenty twenty five audience. You know, she has more agency, and there's a fresh soundtrack from Pasik and Paul, who are the Egot winners, you know, behind some big Broadway hits. And so if you have, you know, some time to kill with the kids this weekend, I think snow White is a great option for anyone who's willing to take a trip to the movie theater and check out the updated version of snow White.
Speaker 1: Okay, so here's a question for you. Is it is it the same story? Because I will be honest with you, I watched Snowy White a couple of years ago because I never saw it as a kid, and or if I did, I didn't remember it. That's probably more likely because I can't remember anything. But anyway, I didn't care for it. Like I watched the movie and I went, well, this is long and not very engaging, and it just I didn't like it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yes it is. I mean, so it is an updated you know, there's more of a filled out story and more of a character, and like the motivations become more clear. There's almost like a political sort of message, like it's a disparity between well not not in a way that's like, oh great, in a way that's like, okay, now I understand why there's such tension between the Queen and snow White, and snow White's backstory makes a little bit more sense. And so you know, it's it's it is a much more fleshed out, I guess plot than what the cartoon was in nineteen thirty whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're a gal Gadote as the evil Queen.
Speaker 7: Huh, yes, yes, so she is.
Speaker 10: You know, she's done, wonder woman, She's done you know, a bunch of different things, and this is her turn as the Evil Queen, which is just it is honestly one of the great Disney villains.
Speaker 4: Yes, And are there any other familiar faces in the movie?
Speaker 10: Do we know the No, the Prince is like sort of an actor that I'd never heard of. And then you know, the the dwarves are CGI, so they're not like real actors. Yeah, I would say that it's Rachel Zegler and Galgado are the you know, the names that you would recognize.
Speaker 1: Okay, so now we're going to move over to the stream. I took your advice and watched Kate Hudson's new show Running Point, and I liked it. So you just earned some cred. So what you got on the stream for us this week?
Speaker 10: Okay? So two Netflix shows to keep your eye on. The first is Adolescence. It's only four episodes. It's the number one show on Netflix right now. There's a lot of hype around it. And so it's about a thirteen year old boy in the UK who is being accused of murder. So if the show starts basically by the police raiding this normal family's house and you know, bursting into this boy's bedroom and are like, you know, you're under arrest for suspicion of murder and you know, the cool thing artistically about the show is that it's all done in one shot, So each episode is one long shot, no breaks, no scene breaks, nothing like that. So like when the kid gets put in the police car and taken to you know, the police station, you're in the car with him and hearing him you know, get his Miranda rights red and all of that stuff. So it's really you know, and at the beginning, you're sort of like, there's no way this thirteen year old can could do it. He has such like a sweet space, you know, he's and then there are some plot twists along the way and you start to realize, oh my gosh, maybe we don't know this kid and this situation as well as we thought we did. So it's really really fascinating, and you know, it's it feels very honest. It's not based on any specific true story, but it feels like it could be any thirteen year old kid.
Speaker 1: Okay, perfect. And then the other one is the residence. I mean, we love some white house intrigue. I doubt it's going to be as good as Paradise.
Speaker 10: Though, I know, I know, but it's a very different vibe than Paradise. So this if you remember Knives Out with Daniel Craig and Jamie Lee Curtis. This is sort of like that. It's like a quirky murder mystery where it's like you have this bizarre sort of detective who's you know, looking at birds through a binoculars and all of this stuff and you're like, what is she doing? So it's quirky and it's a little sillier, but it is a murder mystery that takes place in the White House on the night of the Australian Ambassadors like gal or whatever. So lots of suspects all in the White House for this big event and she has to figure out which one of them committed this murder. The detective is played by Uzo Aduba, who you might remember from Orange is the New Black, and the show comes from Shondaland, so it has sort of the you know, the for' quirky writing that you might remember from like Scandal and things like that.
Speaker 4: So Shonda Rhimes meets Eggatha Christie exactly.
Speaker 10: Yes, thank you, you make the recommendations next week. You just summed it up so much more better than than I did.
Speaker 1: Oh no, you're fabulous. Thank you will Ganz. Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 4: We appreciate you.
Speaker 12: Have a great weekend.
Speaker 4: All right, you too.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A new report shows lawmakers in California have proposed increasing state taxes and fees by more than ten billion dollars, and that's just in the first three months of the year. David Klein with the California Tax Foundation says the report shows thirty six proposed hits to taxpayers so far.
Speaker 7: As of right now, only six of those can be quantified, So the ten billion only counts six of the thirty six proposals. The other thirty there's just no way to estimate the revenue as of now or the hit on taxpayers.
Speaker 1: The new taxes and fees proposed by lawmakers include increase costs for gasoline, prepaid phones, emergency flares, and public transportation tickets for specific sporting events. In Los Angeles, a child has taken a pill laced with fentanyl at a daycare in Victorville. The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department says the preschool aged child and two other kids found the pills on the ground at the La Petite Academy on Tuesday and ate them. Staff grabbed the pills and called nine one one. The kids and two staff members were treated at the hospital. One child tested positive for fentinyl. It's not clear how the pills got into the daycare. The chairman of the LA Olympics Committee has said the twenty twenty eight Games will be open to all athletes.
Speaker 9: The International Olympic Committee's meeting in Greece featured an update from officials with the LA twenty eight organizing Committee. Chairman Casey Wasserman says he's worked with multiple presidents to ensure visas would be expedited and honored.
Speaker 12: All of them have affirmed and reaffirmed their commitment to both full access for everyone and the Olympic Charter.
Speaker 9: Wasserman had been asked at the meeting about the impact of any potential travel restrictions from President Trump. He says Trump is committed to a smooth Olympics in La. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Don't forget Wiggle Wagglewalk coming up in just over two weeks.
Speaker 4: It's April sixth that.
Speaker 1: Were going to be walking around the Rose Bowl to raise money for Pasadena Humane.
Speaker 4: We have a team, the Wake Up Call.
Speaker 1: Wigglers, and we would love for you to join it, So grab your dog and come on down. You can sign up to walk with us or just make a donation if you'd like, And that's at KFIAM six forty dot com slash wiggle. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County South End. Weather from KFI. Might see a few areas of Patchee fog. Otherwise it's going to be sunny. Hi's in the sixties at the beaches, low to mid seventies for Metro LA and in Lando c around eighty in the valleys and Inland Empire. Sixties to low seventies for the Antelope Valley. Low clouds tomorrow morning, then mostly sunny highs in the upper sixties to upper seventies, warming up Sunday into the seventies to mid eighties, and then even warmer to start next week with his in the seventies to low nineties. It's fifty in Irvine, forty nine Huntington Beach, forty eight in Canyon Country, fifty one in Inglewood. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer Kno along with traffic specialist Will I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and don't forget. If you missed any wake up Call today or anytime this whole week, or last week or for the last month, you could listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.