Speaker 1: Hey, friends, it's Nicole.
Speaker 2: And I'm Ben, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim.
Speaker 1: A true crime podcasting the following podcast maidens. I feel like now we have to start every episode that way because we've done it a couple of times.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, why not when you can.
Speaker 1: So we're on location today.
Speaker 2: On location. It's a very exotic location. Actually it's it's our basement, our basement. We are in a stupid heat wave right now, absolutely ridiculous, so hot. If anyone is in like Alberta, BC, and I'm probably assuming it's like in the Pacific Northwest in general right now, but we're we're northern BC and we're reaching like forty degrees celsius temperatures all fucking week a week.
Speaker 1: Which may be like normal to some people, but it's not normal for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and for those in the fahrenheit realm, it's one hundred and four degrees fahrenheit that we're sitting in right now.
Speaker 1: Oh you look that up or do you just know?
Speaker 2: I looked it up because I wanted to be considerate of those in other places, namely the States, because I think they're the only ones to use fahrenheit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, that's very kind of you, Ben.
Speaker 2: I try, I try, probably not, but I.
Speaker 1: Feel like I've seen them post about like being one hundred degrees and stuff, and I thought the post made it seem like that wasn't very hot.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sure it's not very hot for some places, but it's hot as balls for us.
Speaker 1: So hot, like I'm pretty much just like you sit there and you're a sweat Well.
Speaker 2: I was talking to a friend of mine online who lives in a Australia now it's complaining about the heat wave, and he's like, that's like normal heat for us. I'm like, dude, you have giant lizards and shit that go sunbathing. All of our animals have like four inches of fur because they don't freeze to death.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, we have two little huskies and they're not doing.
Speaker 2: The but they're panting away right beside us. So if you hear some panting, it's either the dogs or us overheating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably you probably Probably That's why I have the cold drink though. Yeah, I'm jelly.
Speaker 2: Are you going to drop the bomb about our other on location on what we're going to be doing soon?
Speaker 1: I'll aout you.
Speaker 2: You don't even know what I'm talking about, do you no.
Speaker 1: I do about Vancouver?
Speaker 2: Okay, you do know, I do know. Okay, coming up in a couple of weeks, guys, we're going to Vancouver, just a little like a vacation trip, and we're going to check it our tiny home that's being built down there too, our tiny home. But we're taking extra time for vacation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are.
Speaker 2: But what's really cool is we managed to book a hotel that's usually like a little bit too expensive, but it was on sale, so we're like, let's let's book it.
Speaker 1: Booked.
Speaker 2: But the thing about this hotel is it's the Fair Mountain downtown Vancouver, known to be haunted by the Lady in Red.
Speaker 1: The Lady in Red.
Speaker 2: So while we're there staying at the haunted hotel, we are going to do a podcast episode based completely on the Lady.
Speaker 1: In Red, like in our hotel room. Right.
Speaker 2: Yes, maybe she'll even join us.
Speaker 1: Oh if she joined, as you guys will never hear from you again.
Speaker 2: It'll be well, you'll hear me die on the spot of a heart attack. That's what's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be like I just feel like maybe talking about her too.
Speaker 2: Much might bring her to us.
Speaker 1: Could bring some unwonted attention.
Speaker 2: Well, and I do even have like I've got because I do videography stuff. I've got some camera gear, I've got some audio equipment that sort of thing. One of my cameras actually does have infrared on it.
Speaker 1: So maybe you'll see actually.
Speaker 2: Maybe you'll even see some little ghost hunting stuff. Who knows, we'll see that, we'll see.
Speaker 1: But okay, but that's cool. It's gonna be cool. It's gonna be cool for us to get away and then also to do like a theme and the location stuff because we're always just in our house talking about these things, right, so it's gonna be awesome.
Speaker 2: Well, and there's definite potential for us to do other location based ones as well.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, so it will be Yeah, we definitely will, especially with COVID.
Speaker 2: Using up a bit exactly, So expect some more of that coming down the pipe. Until then, though, let's rock this case within a cold episode today, okay.
Speaker 1: And I'm just gonna warn you guys. Okay, well, I actually have two warnings. One warning is it going to be a two parter, So I'm just throwing that out there. But that's cool, that's cool. You get two episodes. Wait, yeah, and I probably have to put it on a Wednesday, So I'm on an asshole because you put it on a Wednesday.
Speaker 2: People did like that when we did it last time. We came out with it pretty quick.
Speaker 1: Yes, so it will be out the next day so you don't have to wait long. And I had thought about, like giving you guys a break because last episode was a bit heavy, Like Ben, you threw it on us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sorry that was a brutal episode, but.
Speaker 1: I didn't give you a break. This is actually a case wanted to do for quite a while, like since we first started, and I'm and we both decided to do these grewsome cases at the same time. So I apologize. But it's a true crime podcast.
Speaker 2: Deal with it.
Speaker 1: So let's get going. Yes, let's roll without further ado. Hey, okay, So, and we did drop a hint on Instagram. So this is the Barbie and Ken Killers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a few of you guys who knew it, like right r right away.
Speaker 1: So the Barbi and Ken Killers of Canada. I mean, I don't know if there's them in other countries, but this is Canada. The case starts with Paul Bernardo. Paul was born on August twenty seventh, nineteen sixty four, in Toronto, Ontario. We also, I think we do a lot of like Backis cases do well, I think they're more populated and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe there's more density of population and living over there, so that's yeah, it's more bound to happen, I guess. Yeah, but you definitely do more of that because well, you stick to mostly cannadies countries.
Speaker 1: Canada, okay, commercial, Oh yeah, I do.
Speaker 2: Remember that, the history of Canada. Anyways, people probably don't know what we're talking aboutlet's.
Speaker 1: Keep remember that. As a kid. So he was the third child to be born into a wealthy yet dysfunctional family. I feel like sometimes with wealth may becomes dysfunction. I don't know, I'm just throwing that out there. His parents were Kenneth and Marylyn. His father, coming from an abusive family, was also abusive to his family, including sexually abusing Paul's sister like his child, Yeah, that's fucked, And in nineteen seventy five was charged with child molestation. So I kind of didn't know to say that there for a minute, fondling another young.
Speaker 2: Girl, I want to fondle my fist with his jaw.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Paul's dad sucks, Like that's just the first thing I'm thrown out there. Paul's mom, Marylynd, depressed obviously over her husband's abuse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would imagine so.
Speaker 1: Withdrew herself from the family and lived in the basement of their home in Scarborough, which is eastern Ontario. Okay, but like also, she could have been a badass and been like, fuck you, I'm taking my kids. But so she went in the basement. But that's okay, that's okay, that's good. I think she had mental issues.
Speaker 2: You went in a whole round about.
Speaker 1: I did, actually, uh somewhat unscathed by the home turmoil turmoil. Paul was described as always happy, He smiled a lot, He had cute little dimples and good looks.
Speaker 2: Oh so it's like a cute little kid. Did you have like a lot going for them? Do you know? Was he like smart in school? That sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: I didn't say he was smart. I'm going to say he's an asshole.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's an asshole. He was a cute kid. He was an ass just an asshole.
Speaker 1: But he was described as the perfect child. Every parent wanted him. He was polite and oh and did well in school. Okay, so he did well in school.
Speaker 2: Okay, there we go.
Speaker 1: I did have that shit. I thought it was ugh never mind, I was to give away. So yeah, every parent was like wanted him as a kid. But but the grass ain't always greener on the other side of the fence, folks, because he had a dark side. That was a bruin.
Speaker 2: It was a bruin.
Speaker 1: It was a bruin like.
Speaker 2: A bad poo, like when you have McDonald's night before and you go to bed drunk and you wake up and you got the booze poos mixed with the mixshits.
Speaker 1: Oh that's nasty visual.
Speaker 2: Visual you're visualizing it.
Speaker 1: I did visualize that, which is disgusting.
Speaker 2: It's been We've all been there.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm sure everyone's probably been there.
Speaker 2: The booze poos. Gotta love them.
Speaker 1: So at the age of sixteen, Paul's mom and this was like a bomb, told him that she had an affair with a former boyfriend. Oh shit, and that Kenneth was actually not his biological follower.
Speaker 2: Shit. Well, I mean, if your husband's like straight up molesting your children and being abusive and.
Speaker 1: Shit, you actually would probably almost want to celebrate that shit if that wasn't no, if that wasn't your dad.
Speaker 2: Oh, I thought you might celebrate your husband doing that shit.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, Like if you found out that wasn't your dad, Yeah, maybe you'd be like halla, he would celebrate that.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about the perspective of the mother. Yeah, she finds out that her husband's doing this not only to her but her kids, and this sort of stuff, I would definitely seek out, like some relations with some other person, and like I need love and compassion and someone to be with because like, I'm just in this dark place. You know. I know not that you should go cheat on your fucking husband or wife, but she if anybody has a reason to, she definitely has one for sure.
Speaker 1: And they had gotten a particular bad argument that night, like the moment Paul's mom and dad, and that's when she told Paul.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, I thought you were going to say she got in the bad argument and then went and got pregnant with no, fuck you, I'm gonna go fuck my boyfriend.
Speaker 1: That could be though, But Paul didn't really take this that well because he began calling his mom a slob and a were apparently disgusted by her.
Speaker 2: Really, yeah, how old is he at this point?
Speaker 1: Sixteen? And calling his mom like a whore?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: That's strike one of this guy being a complete asshole.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, that's strike one. You should shut the fuck up. What a douche canoe?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Oh you just you wait, Ben, if you think that's bad. This guy? Who who? Okay, who.
Speaker 2: Is that it?
Speaker 1: Paul graduated from Sir Wilford Lawyer, Lawyer Lawyerierer Laurier Laarier College Institute.
Speaker 2: So Sir Wilfrid Laurier that was the college historical individual. I'm trying to remember who that was.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyways, okay, continue, And.
Speaker 1: He worked for Amway. Do you know what Amway is? How to look this up is no idea.
Speaker 2: I know there's the local aim High. I don't know if that's like the thing around Okay.
Speaker 1: So it's a multi level marketing company that sells health, beauty and home care products.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: And this sales culture had a deep effect on Paul. He purchased books and tapes of famous motivational get rich and famous experts. Oh God, and him and his friends would practice their techniques on young women that they met in bars, apparently being very successful. Oh god, like that's weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's literally building up a slimy fucking personality. You picture the epitome of like a used car salesman. That's what I'm picturing with him already.
Speaker 1: Yeahs not all used car salesman, That's what I mean, like the epitome of like what you think the stereotype.
Speaker 2: Stereotype. There you go, that's what I mean. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like when you watch Matilda and Dad. Yes, I don't know if people know what Matilda's it was.
Speaker 2: Danny DeVito. He did a great job.
Speaker 1: He did a really good job. He acted as well.
Speaker 2: Fun fact, I actually met Matilda the actress and got Nicole signed DVD of that want.
Speaker 1: I'm actually obsessed with Matilda. You guys are learning a lot of it.
Speaker 2: If you guys don't ever go to comic cons, you can experience some really cool shit. I'm just dropping this now. I met so many awesome actors and actress. I met Stand fucking Lee a comic con.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he since passed, right.
Speaker 2: He has. Yeah, So go to comic con, kids, comic con, do comic con not drugs.
Speaker 1: By the time, Paul attended university. So he attended the University of Toronto. Scarco Scarborough, Scarborough, Scarborough, sorry scar barrel, scarbarrel, barrow, barrow scarbarrow.
Speaker 2: How's it spelt with a G to the end?
Speaker 1: I did look this up and I knew I was like going to fuck it up each time scar and then b O r O U g h Scarborough Scarborough.
Speaker 2: I don't know where I know that word from these words I've heard them.
Speaker 1: It's almost like a suburb of Toronto basically. Okay, So, yeah, he was attending He's attending university, and he had developed some dark sexual fantasies and enjoyed humiliating women in public and physically abusing women he dated what a dick. He saw women as sexual objects rather than people solely there for the gratification of men.
Speaker 2: I mean, it seems like a lot of people these days are not far off from that description, which is fucking pathetic.
Speaker 1: I think. I don't think so well.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Maybe it's just people being outed in their stories because social media is a little more prevalent, you know. Yeah, but people like that just make me sick, Like, oh, people are people.
Speaker 1: There's that line right there makes me almost want to like vomit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no if you're fucking age, sex, gender, whatever the fuck, you're a person. I don't fucking look down on anyone else. If you look down on other people, I will look down on you for that. Seriously.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one, this seems obvious, but he was also obsessed with his appearance. He spent a lot of time checking himself out in the mirror. The vibe he was going for was California beach Boy, and enjoyed how his appearance fooled people. Is that funny? I'm sorry, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Who would go for California beach boy? Why don't you just go for being a person?
Speaker 1: Okay, careful man, we have a lot of California listeners.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I feel like that vibe is good.
Speaker 2: If you end up with that vibe, there's nothing wrong with that. But why would you try for that vibe?
Speaker 1: And that is kind of like the Barbie Doll Can vibe, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Because they're all like Malibu. It was Malibu. Is that California or Florida? That's Florida, right.
Speaker 1: I think that's California.
Speaker 2: It's either east or West coast. Our geographic geography is terrible.
Speaker 1: We'll have to look that one up, Malibu.
Speaker 2: Continue. I'm going to look it up on my phone right now because I feel terrible for not knowing where that is.
Speaker 1: Okay. So I was just saying, though he enjoyed how his appearance fooled people. He was sweet on the outside it's California and angry on the inside what he called deadly innocence.
Speaker 2: What a deadly douche bag?
Speaker 1: Is it California?
Speaker 2: It's California.
Speaker 1: I was right. We should have just gone with that because I'm usually right.
Speaker 2: Oh, oh, you really want to go down this path? Because you know I am right.
Speaker 1: Way more I know you totally are, okay. So May of nineteen eighty seven is when Paul began acting out his sexual fantasies by brutally raping women in skull barrel at the age of twenty three.
Speaker 2: Fuck this guy's trash.
Speaker 1: Oh, man, like I gotta look here. He committed multiple sexual assaults, escalating in viciousness, attacking most of his victims after stalking them as they got off buses in the late evening.
Speaker 2: It's kind of interesting, I mean, I understand it at the same time. But it's interesting how that works. It's like anyone who does like multiple killings or assaults, like a serial rapist kill or whatever, they always like test the waters. They start small, and they work their way bigger and bigger, and then it always or generally always most times ends up biting them in their ass because they get too confident in it and they just go over and then that's when they get caught, you know.
Speaker 1: I know, because like they pretty much always get caught, like you get caught.
Speaker 2: Yeah there. I mean, there are some killers out there, like Jack the Ripper, for example, he never got caught. We don't know who he is to this day.
Speaker 1: But the majority get caught.
Speaker 2: Majority do. But it's always the same story. It's they test the waters a little bit, whether it's even just straight out starting with murder, but they will cover their tracks very well, and then they'll start okay, maybe going a little more prominent in the afternoon rather than that night, or leaving some more evidence behind, not worrying too much.
Speaker 1: If he did stick to this mL for quite a while, he did, okay, Okay, So on May fourth, May the fourth be with you.
Speaker 2: I love you.
Speaker 1: His first victim was twenty one, was a twenty one year old woman who he followed home and raped in front of her parents house, and the attack lasted more than half an hour.
Speaker 2: In front of the house like in public.
Speaker 1: Well it was night right.
Speaker 2: Still, I'm pretty sure she's making a racket, I know.
Speaker 1: And we'll get through. We'll get some some did. Just calm those titties. This is the first one.
Speaker 2: My titties are flailing around, and let them flail free the nip.
Speaker 1: I'm not wearing a brakay, okay, so not very long Later, on May fourteenth, nineteen eighty seven, he raped a nineteen year old in the backyard of her parents' house and that attack lasted over an hour what like And that's just like I don't know, I guess I envisioned like attacks being like five ten minutes.
Speaker 2: Whoa, whoa, whoa. You're really painting a bad picture for her audience here.
Speaker 1: That's not what I mean. But it's like generally, it's like you're probably like going as quick as possible, not wanting to get caught, but like he like prolonged the freaking shit.
Speaker 2: Our attacks generally lasts a lot longer than.
Speaker 1: Put your ego aside. We're talking about the case.
Speaker 2: Here, No yeat that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that's a long bucket time.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sure like someone who's into that sort of thing, whatever their mindset is, they're probably getting off on the attack, So it would probably help heighten the experience and they probably would nut sooner.
Speaker 1: But it's it's just nasty or they might have, like a few times, I don't know. On July seventeenth, nineteen eighty seven, he attempted to rape a young woman. He beat her up, but a bandit the attack when she fought back, So it's like, there you go. She fought back enough.
Speaker 2: Always fight back.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, Yeah, as much fight back.
Speaker 2: And make as much noise as you can go for. And this is coming from like I have a martial arts background, did for like ten years. Yeah, go for the eyes, the throat, the nose, the mouth, the balls, any sort of soft spot ears. Don't try and run.
Speaker 1: Fight because a lot of these people did fight or like make it raucous and they got and they got away.
Speaker 2: That's that's how you do it. If you try and run, it leaves an opening for them to keep attacking you. Yeah, if you fight and hit him in soft spots. They're gonna be hurt. They're gonna be worried about other people getting drawn attention in yeah, and they will run. That's what you want to do.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that what that lady got away, thank god. On September twenty, nineteen eighty seven, he attempted to rape a fifteen year old like I'm like, that's so freaking young. He broke into her house, jumped on her, put her his hand over her mouth, threatened her with a knife, but was interrupted by the girl's screaming mother and fled the scene. Unfortunately, though, nineteen year old Anthony Haymaker Haymayer was convicted of the sexual song Oh no, served a sixteen month person sentence suck.
Speaker 2: So did was that the full sentence he served and then he got out or did they realize it wasn't.
Speaker 1: They served the full sentence fuck, which actually sixteen months isn't like very long. I mean, it was only he didn't like get the rape in or anything. But yeah, so someone else paid for his.
Speaker 2: I wonder if there's any retribution for that if because clearly they found out it was.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I think there is. When people are wrongly convicted. There totally is well.
Speaker 2: There should be is the thing? But if there usually is another question?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay. So next came Carla Homoka, but she was not a rape victim. That name sounds familiar. In October of nineteen eighty seven, Paul would meet Karl at a restaurant in Scarborough Barbie while she was there attending a convention.
Speaker 2: Is a comic con?
Speaker 1: No? I think it was like a pet convention.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, okay good. If it was comic con, I would have to like retake back those words.
Speaker 1: We were like, oh ah, don't go to kids, I asked. They were sexually attracted to each other, almost immediately having sex that night in the hotel room. Carla was born on May fourth, nineteen seventy. I'm just going to talk a little bit about her, Okay, let's hear it. The oldest child. Have a family of three girls. They lived in Saint Catharine's, Ontario, a little over an hour from Toronto. Carla was a very bright young girl, scoring in the gifted slash bit.
Speaker 2: Oh, I said slash, You said the slash.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: You actually said the slash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's amazing. I mean some people do say slash, she would actually, but like if I dashes now, everybody like dash start a new sentence, Dash, start a new sentence.
Speaker 2: Carla was a bitch, period. Paul was an ass period.
Speaker 1: Okay, so she was gifted. She scored a like Okay, whoa where am I here? Backtracking in scoring in the gifted very advanced classification on an IQ test in elementary school. So she was like very bright.
Speaker 2: Okay, she had a bright future ahead of her, and she threw it all aways.
Speaker 1: What you're telling us pretty much, she was a very eager and good student, a perfectionist who wanted to please the authorities in her life. She was also very good looking, with long blonde hair and a girly girl who fantasized about having the perfect husband, like her Barbie doll Ken, who she played with as a child.
Speaker 2: Hold On, are you describing you smart one girl, long blonde hair.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's about marrying Ken.
Speaker 2: Well, instead, you got like a fucking bearded dude with.
Speaker 1: I know, was there a bearded Barbie? Maybe there is now a bearded Ken.
Speaker 2: Maybe I don't know, lumberjack Ken.
Speaker 1: So and I did paint her like looking pretty good, but she did have like some issues that I didn't even put in here, but I also felt like they maybe were normal child EXPLOREDI of things like some of her playmates or her friends said that when they came over to her house and they were like playing barbies, she was very controlling and if if the barbies didn't do what she wanted to do, then she put the game away.
Speaker 2: But I mean, like that's that's just yeah.
Speaker 1: One thing that was kind of fucked up, especially since she likes animals. They did like a they made a parachute thing for a hamster and like through out the window.
Speaker 2: Really, oh my god, that poor hamster. I know, Okay, can we just have like a rest in peace for all the hamsters out there who've died.
Speaker 1: So they knocked like kids. Maybe I don't know, but so it did clonk a little and then apparently died like a few weeks later. It actually lasted, like didn't die instantly.
Speaker 2: It also because how many stories have you heard where it's like, oh, my hamster got sucked up in the vacuum, I dropped the cage on it, I stepped down, my dog got it. Like these poor hamsters, like they must die. The most gruesome death of any in the world.
Speaker 1: Oh not my hamster. My hamster was like king. It lasted so long too. And I remember like when we would go on vacation, I would have like a calendar and I would set out all the meals that this you told me about get And but I bet you anything. My dad just gave it whatever.
Speaker 2: Probably probably forgot to feed it sometimes.
Speaker 1: But anyway, so the hamster did die and then she later like buried like unburied it or dug it up to see like how it they composed? Is that weird? That's probably a bit weird.
Speaker 2: That's a bit weird. I mean curiosity is another thing though, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like a young girl just like because kids are curious, they do weird things sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that there's half that's really fucked up half. I mean kids are fucked up in their nature anyways.
Speaker 1: So yeah, So anyway, she I painted her pretty good. I think she's mostly like pretty good, but she did have like a dark side to her.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So at the time of meeting Paul, Carla was in her graduating year of high school and working part time at a pet shop. After graduation in nineteen eighty eight, she was hired to work as a veterinarian assistant. So she did like animals?
Speaker 2: Is this going to get like darker where she really likes to investigate like a mammals?
Speaker 1: And thank god, I probably wouldn't be talking about it.
Speaker 2: Thought she's going to start doing like some weird autopsy shit behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: Okay, so after introducing her, we get to go back to Paul's rap sheet.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, let's hear more about this. There's a lot of words that crossed my mind, none of them more suitable that I should say, So I'll just go back to douche canoe. Let's hear more about this, douche Canoe.
Speaker 1: So being in a relationship with Carla didn't slow Paul down. Unlike other women Paul had met, Carla had a dark side and encouraged Paul's sadistic sexual behavior. Oh gross, So like fuel on the fire? Really right, you gotta.
Speaker 2: Can't keep it between you two, but don't like yeah consent?
Speaker 1: So yes that is Look at we're just teaching everyone so much shit this episode.
Speaker 2: Right, Welcome to Wickeding Grim. This is your your lesson in not to be a douchebag.
Speaker 1: And how to get rid of a fuck tart the fuck tart, love it okay. On December sixteen, nineteen eighty seven, he raped a fifteen year old girl. This was his third rape, being that two I had mentioned earlier were just like got interrupted, right, so there more I guess attempts. This third rape caused the Toronto Police to issue a warning to women in Scarborough traveling alone at nights, but especially those riding buses. So his work was getting noticed.
Speaker 2: Right, So all these so far were still individuals getting off of.
Speaker 1: A bus, right, Yeah, pretty much. Yeah. So on December twenty third, nineteen eighty seven, he raped a seventeen year old girl with a knife that he used to threaten his victims. So like, he raped her with the knife.
Speaker 2: So like he he didn't like hold the knife up to his throat and say like I'm going to rape you, and he penetrated her. He took the knife and penetrated her with the knife.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's I thought that it was the first one, and I kind of was hopeful that it was, but then I dug deeper and it wasn't.
Speaker 2: That is fucked up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, super fucked like super that's.
Speaker 2: Reminiscent of the last case A little bit.
Speaker 1: Actually, it actually makes you squirm in your seat a little.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't even have that anatomy and I can almost feel it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep. At this point he began to be known as the Scarborough rapist, is the Scarborough fucked hard. He got a nickname four months, always get a nickname. Always He's a lot of nicknames. Actually. Four months later, on April eighteenth, nineteeny eight, he attacked a seventeen year old girl in an assault that lasted forty five minutes. On May twenty fifth, nineteen eighty eight, Paul was almost caught. A uniformed Metro Toronto investigator staking out a bus stage shelter noticed Paul hiding under a tree and pursued him on foot, but Paul was able to escape.
Speaker 2: Shit, they were gosh.
Speaker 1: It's been amazing if they caught him at that moment.
Speaker 2: They were literally like out looking for him, as oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then, oh yeah totally. I mean it wouldn't be amazing because he already ACKed up a few people's lives, but like he's about to f up a lot more so. Five days later, on May thirtieth, eighty eight, he raped an eighteen year old woman in mississaugu mississaugu Ontario, Mississauga.
Speaker 2: I think is how you say it?
Speaker 1: Oh, there's our ooh with how I always put ooh with you in which is about forty kilometers southwest of of Scarborough. On October fourth, he attempted to rape another victim, but she fought off. She's a badass, fought off and only needed twelve stitches, which is still like really shitty, but like it could have been a hell of a lot worse than like years of counsel counseling.
Speaker 2: Right, that's what happens when you fight. You might get some stitches or something like that, but you.
Speaker 1: Get away, but not necessarily because depending on their their size too, like he might have been able to like you might not have been able to get away, right there.
Speaker 2: Size means nothing if you dig your thumb in their eye.
Speaker 1: Just saying, just saying, I guess well, I'm just saying other victims they may have tried, right, yes.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: The next month, on November sixteenth, he raped an eighteen year old in the parents in the background of her parents' house. The next day, the Metro Police formed a task force to capture the scar Barrel rapist.
Speaker 2: So how many rapes are we up to now? Is that six or seven?
Speaker 1: I don't know, but at one point I do count them again. Okay, okay, I'd have to go back and count.
Speaker 2: It's okay if you count them again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I tell lists a few, like yeah, I think he gets up to like twelve.
Speaker 2: I can wait, wow, wow, wait to drop that least?
Speaker 1: Fuck well, like, yeah, I'm just stopping. On December twenty seventh, two days after Christmas, Paul attempted another rape, but was chased off by a neighbor.
Speaker 2: That's the shittiest package you want to receive on Christmas?
Speaker 1: I know, wow, Like shit, sorry that neighbor.
Speaker 2: It was a bad joke.
Speaker 1: It was a really bad joke. And I'm not even going to go into that six months.
Speaker 2: Later, like the glare you just he gave me.
Speaker 1: Six months later, on June twentieth, nineteen eighty nine, he was at it again. He attempted to rape a young woman, but she fought back and her screams alerted neighbors. Paul got away, but he had scratches on his face from her.
Speaker 2: That's good, an identifying thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, that didn't do anything.
Speaker 2: Fuck I was hoping.
Speaker 1: On August fifteenth, Paul committed his eighth there we go, eighth rape a twenty two year old woman. He had stalked her the previous night from outside her apartment window and waited for her to arrive home, then attacked her. And this attack lasted for two hours. Jesus, Oh, like that's just like like like.
Speaker 2: Laugh, Oh that sucks.
Speaker 1: On November forty four days though, that's true. On November twenty first, he raped a fifteen year old girl he saw on a bus shelter. That attack lasted forty five minutes.
Speaker 2: Fox sakes.
Speaker 1: I almost feel like I don't want to say how long they lasted, but I have it in her soul.
Speaker 2: Say yeah, let us know.
Speaker 1: One month later, on December twenty second, nineteen, we're still in nineteen eighty nine, he had his tenth rape. He attacked Sorry, I was like, where am i? He attacked a nineteen year old in a stairwell of an underground parking lot. And two days after that rape, he proposed to Carla, and maybe they became engaged on a romantic trip to Niagara Falls.
Speaker 2: And she knows about all these, doesn't she?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Oh she doesn't.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know. So I don't. Yeah, I don't like her, so I think that she probably had a suspicion.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is this is a bit of a fucked up case. Are you going to drink that white clock because I think I need it?
Speaker 1: Do you want it?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Holy shit, Ben, you've already finished a nude now you're.
Speaker 2: On Yes, give me the alcohol. I need it.
Speaker 1: Wow. I was saving that for later, but I guess I'm out mine.
Speaker 2: Now you have wine, you have lots of booze. You're good.
Speaker 1: Okay. So with Paul living in Scarbear, Scarborough, Scarborough, I feel bad one fine, and Carla living in Saint Catharine's, which was like an hour and a half away. The distance was getting in the way of the relationship, so they that's I think that was one reason why they kind of took it to the next level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I gotcha.
Speaker 1: Being a newly engaged man, however, did not stop Paul. He's unstoppable, and on May twenty sixth, nineteen ninety, he was at it again and raped a nineteen year old woman. This rape lasted over an hour, but it was different. It was different.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: His victim had a vivid recollection of him, which enabled police to create a computer composite portrait of Paul, which was released two days later and published in Toronto and area newspapers.
Speaker 2: So there was no physical description of what he looked like prior to this. None of his victims remember really yeah, wow, so.
Speaker 1: I know, and I never said anything about him wearing a mask or anything.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering if it's just like traumatic and.
Speaker 1: This just blocking like the attempted ones. Yeah, so this was like the first one where they were like able to like get a portrait out there.
Speaker 2: Well, good on her for having that memory of that.
Speaker 1: I know, because she was actually like got raved like it wasn't an attempt or anything. And there was also a ward of one hundred and fifty thousand for information that could lead to the rest of him. So from May to September of nineteen ninety, police submitted more than one hundred and thirty suspects samples for DNA testing. Like that's a block. Apparently there are voluntary samples which I didn't put in here, but because I think that's really fucked up, because like if you're volunteering, volunteering, then like I feel like it's probably not you, but Paul. At one point did put.
Speaker 2: A sample into he did, oh shit, but it probably didn't get idea though or something.
Speaker 1: We'll get there, okay, So they had they got a shit to the samples basically, and they also received two reports that the person they were searching for was Paul and Liz is going to piss you off. The first came in June and had been called in by a bank employee blah blah, but the second Paul, was received from a wife of one of Paul's closest friends. Really, she told detectives that Paul had been called in on a previous rape investigation in December of nineteen eighty seven, but had never been interviewed. She also mentioned that Paul frequently talked about his sex life to his husband and liked rough sex and anal sex. However, apparently her phrasing was awkward and consequently left detectives unsure of whether to take her seriously. Why but there's more, Oh my god, okay, But after cross checking several files, the detectives did decide to interview Paul Good. The interview was on November twentieth, nineteen ninety lasted thirty five minutes, with Paul voluntarily giving a sample for forensic testing. The detective did ask Paul why he thought he was being investigated for the rapes, and he admitted that he did resemble the portrait. So he admitted that the detectives concluded that such a well educated, fucking, well adjusted young man couldn't possibly be responsible for vicious crimes, and he was far more credible than the wife who had called in with her awkward, strange way of speaking, and that person may have just been trying to collect the reward.
Speaker 2: That's fucked up.
Speaker 1: I think that's so bullshit. She was probably nervous as fucked call in because like he was, probably like her friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, like you're calling in, you're talking about all this awkward shit people, you don't know, Like, it's a fucking weird situation.
Speaker 1: I would be sweating, Like my palms would be sweaty, for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, palm sweating, knees, weak arms are heavy, involving on your sweater already. It's mom spaghetti like, yeah, definitely, what the frig.
Speaker 1: Like, Oh my goodness, that makes me really angry. So Paul was released and his DNA sample was put in the pool of other DNA samples to be tested. And in the nineties, DNA tests were not a quick process.
Speaker 2: Okay, you just painted a really bad oy.
Speaker 1: Not all in the same I know.
Speaker 2: But the whole time you've been saying samples, and every time you said samples, I just I'm picturing these vials, and then you said put in the pool, and now I'm picturing a pool of it, just a big lummy pool of semen.
Speaker 1: Yum.
Speaker 2: No, that does not sound yummy. That sounds really gross.
Speaker 1: Because that would have been what the samples were, right.
Speaker 2: I would assume, because I would assume they're collecting semen samples.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because like, yeah, blood wouldn't necessarily work, so I would assume they're matching samples. I just got a lot of nasty visuals. Enjoy those, people, Sorry, enjoy them.
Speaker 2: You're the one who said pool of samples.
Speaker 1: Okay, see you ready for some marstria, I guess. So the next part to Paul and Carla's story is even less fun than what I've already talked about.
Speaker 2: Oh here we go. I need to.
Speaker 1: Portray yourself like you might need another fucking white claw. I'm just saying that.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: One good thing is that the Scarborough rape stopped, But This was because after the interview, Paul went to live with Carla at her parents' house in Saint Catherine's before they would find a home of their own. But but Carla, being the oldest child of the family, had younger sisters.
Speaker 2: Fuck sakes.
Speaker 1: Oh, you can use your imagination.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, did, and she did nothing.
Speaker 1: Well just wait, babe, just wait. This is a rocky ride and we're gonna wrap it up here this first.
Speaker 2: Episode pretty quick, sakes, Okay.
Speaker 1: At this point in time, Paul's relationship with Carla would all intensify. She would actively let him indulge in his violent fantasies with her, but this would often lead to her being beaten.
Speaker 2: Really, and she doesn't do shit well. Remember, she's kind of fucked up too, I guess, so she enjoys it rough. I guess some people do well.
Speaker 1: At the beginning too. Like remember she likes please authority. She might have thought that Paul was like authority. It's like she's fucked up to. Paul would also make remarks to car Carla that she was used goods since he wasn't her first sexual partner. This made Carla.
Speaker 2: Panic And what does that make him?
Speaker 1: Oh? I know he's nastic goods.
Speaker 2: He's fucking goodwill shit down at the corner. That's not selling the dumpster in the back.
Speaker 1: But this made Carla panic. She couldn't possibly lose her Ken in quotation, right.
Speaker 2: Okay, were they identifying themselves as Ken?
Speaker 1: I don't think so. Okay, good, but they're just like attractive, like and they had this this two lives basically right to the public. They were like just perfect and then like they look like Barbie Ken, Like they're just perfect.
Speaker 2: I was just really hoping they didn't give themselves that name.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think Okay, I don't think so. So, yeah, she didn't want to lose Ken, so what she would offer next is unthinkable. She offered him her own little sisters as a Christmas present.
Speaker 2: As a Christmas present?
Speaker 1: What the fuck?
Speaker 2: What the actual fuck?
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, that's a whole I like, I was researching this and I knew the case was pretty bad, but I was also like, oh shit, do I like want to keep researching this? But it happened. It's a pretty popular or famous case. A lot of people know about it, so we're doing it. But yeah, Carla and is a motherfucker too.
Speaker 2: I want to say one thing though, so far, I almost feel bad for Carla because she's just so love struck by this fucking filth of a human being that she's willing to do anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I feel like it was like mutual, like he was pretty into her too. Well I'm sure he is, but he has like he's a sex problem. Really, but what you.
Speaker 2: Just, as far as I am unwrapping what you just told me, she's doing this so he stays with her.
Speaker 1: He's giving her a gift. Yeah, there was, there was I'm a gift. What did I say?
Speaker 2: He's giving her a gift?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, what you said?
Speaker 2: Okay? What I said? Okay?
Speaker 1: I don't when am I talking about this? Am I talking about this at this point? I don't know. I think I might know. I think it might be next episode. But like there was some issues between Arla and Tam Tammy. I don't even know if I've said her name anyway, anyway.
Speaker 2: So her Tammy? Yes, Okay, But still, as far as I can gather, I think she's just so pressured by losing him or.
Speaker 1: The idea of her because pretty soon I'm about to say one next sentence that makes her looks like a piece of shit too.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, let's hear that piece of shit sentence.
Speaker 1: Maybe her like, what's going on? Are they fighting?
Speaker 2: Maybe our dogs? That is weird?
Speaker 1: Okay? And then you had kind of asked us earlier, but Carla was not fully aware at the time that Paul was the Scar Scar Barrel rapist. Yeah, but I feel like she had to have some sort of suspicion right to even like think about offering up her sisters.
Speaker 2: I would think so, right.
Speaker 1: Like, And then Paul had also apparently asked her at one point what she would think if he was the Scar Scarbarol rapist, and she said that would be cool. What, Yeah, that would be cool?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Fuck her, never mind, never mind, she can just fucking burn like.
Speaker 1: That's weird, right it is.
Speaker 2: But yeah, well, I mean, she's just so wound up in him she's gonna do anything. Not that she's not a piece of shit, she clearly is, but she's just so captivated and wound up in being with this fucking loser that she's willing to do anything.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Yeah, I don't know. So anyway, basically we're stopping. Fuck, we know that Paul's next victim is Tammy, which is Carla's little sister, which is real fucked.
Speaker 2: Oh see, I thought Carla already happened. You're gonna go into detail with this, Okay, what do you.
Speaker 1: Mean Tammy or Tammy?
Speaker 2: Sorry?
Speaker 1: Oh no, there's some detail.
Speaker 2: Oh shit.
Speaker 1: And the next the next victims, there's some detail.
Speaker 2: It's I'm gonna need whiskey.
Speaker 1: So we need to maybe go to the liquor store to stalk up Them's more white clothes for you.
Speaker 2: No, I'm gonna need whiskey for this. White claws ain't gonna cut it anyway.
Speaker 1: So there's part one. Part two will be out on Wednesday, and just prepare yourselves.
Speaker 2: It makes sure you stay wicked.