Speaker 1: Check Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Fudday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 1: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 3: Two nothing, It's alva not so fast cohole breath with John Taylor. I say that the winner of the draft lottery should be the winner of a two man loose.
Speaker 4: And Rick dolly Wall I had a cherry tree up a little Ricky.
Speaker 1: I used to go up that tree and just sit there for hours and a bunch of news.
Speaker 2: Jerry Years Donnie and Dolly broadcasting live from the Paul Carson studio at.
Speaker 1: Old Boy Productions. This is Donnie and Dolly the team on Check. I am Ryan Henderson alongside Rick Dollywall. Derek Wong directing the program, and Quinn Taylor is our producer today. How are you couldn't be better? How are you feeling?
Speaker 4: It's a lot better because I don't have to pay sixty three bucks to park today?
Speaker 1: Not for today, It's back to eighteen. It'll be back again next week, next Wednesday. It'll be the next Calgary.
Speaker 4: I will not be paying sixty three. I'm working on how to beat that.
Speaker 1: You were also telling us you've got a very busy weekend ahead. You got a weedied, you got to clean up your garage. Oh yeah, any power washing in there for you, and the kids will watch me do it while I do it. I'm looking forward to those days. You just wait. It happened soon enough.
Speaker 4: Just wait when you're fifty five and your kids are playing video games and you got to clean the outside in the inside of the house.
Speaker 1: Okay. It's the day after a massive historic day for the Canadian men's soccer team as they pick up their first ever World Cup victory yesterday at BC Place. I said yesterday I wanted a defiant victory. I wanted them to, oh boy, plant their flag. I wanted, you know, I didn't want something squeaked out. I want wanted them to really show that they were for real. And boy did they ever as they beat up on Qatar six nil. They were down to nine men. Of course, Qatar was after two red cars, one of which on a pretty nasty tackle, although I don't think the tackle was really that I've seen worse and did awful damage to Ismael Kone. He broke his leg. Of course, had surgery yesterday afternoon after the match to have it repaired. This is actually a photo posted by another formerly injured Canadian soccer player, Moist Bombedo, posted as Instagram yesterday that he visited Kony in the hospital. I think this was right before the surgery last night, after the match concluded. So really really awful situation yesterday to have that happen in the match, and then both teams getting into it on the sidelines as well after that moment at the end of the match. Chip Canada's banged up. I mean, you know, the.
Speaker 4: List of injuries now is incredible, the list of injuries, especially the last couple of weeks. And Davies didn't play last night, which was smart because exactly right, you don't need to play him when it's three, oh well it's two, nothing at the twenty nine minute mark, yeah, there's.
Speaker 1: No need to play him. He's yeah, save him for Switzerland. Yeah. I was actually really glad it went the way it did because it completely ruled out I mean, obviously, every Canadian soccer fan wants to see Alfonso Davies, so from that standpoint, it's a bit disappointing for people in attendance that they didn't get to see him. But the fact that the match was essentially done and dusted, I mean very early on, I mean three zero at the break. Yeah, it's it's probably not gonna you're not gonna have to worry about although you don't have to worry about gold differential because of what happened yesterday, and that was that Switzerland beat Bosnia four to one. So because of the result yesterday, Canada's at the top of the group. If Canada gets a single point, so a draw or of course a win against against Switzerland next Wednesday, they win the group. That round of thirty two match A place will include Canada, and of course that's what everybody wants is for that to happen. It'll be such a letdown if they are moving on, which will be amazing, but not playing at BC place. So just incredibly impressive stuff yesterday. Jonathan david Rick. You you brought him up, he woke up.
Speaker 4: Last ten months, he hasn't scored a lot and and you know in hockey they say go to the net, good things happen. Look where his goals were scoring, yep, in front of the net. Yeah, front of that. The same thing applies in soccer. Yeah, so a hat trick. He joins Leo Messi is the only two players with hat tricks at this World Cup so far.
Speaker 1: So and look at it. I know people are gonna say, oh, it's guitar. Oh what is that? It doesn't matter man like you, especially for somebody lacking confidence. At that point, he probably didn't care who he was playing, but the fact that he saw goals going the net yes, would have been such a relief for him, such a relief for the entire team. I mean, Jesse Marsh was very confident talking about him and saying, you know, buckle up, his goals are gonna come.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 1: But I know deep down he was probably going like, man, we really need this guy. This has to be our guy. And if he's not scoring, we're in a world of trouble. And that was answered yesterday.
Speaker 4: So hatch Weather's hockey or soccer goalscorers need confidence. Yes, and he got a weak guitar team, took advantage of it, scored three goals.
Speaker 1: Yep, absolutely absolutely so. As I mentioned, next Wednesday will be the next match for Canada against Switzerland noon at BC Place. The round of thirty two matches coming up on July the second. That's the winner will include the winner Group B, so Canada hopefully is involved in that Round of sixteen match coming up on July the seventh. The other piece to yesterday's game rick was the scenes we witnessed as we left the studio to get out of the city. This is some drone footage provided by the Vancouver World Cup official Twitter account. They sent this out this morning and this shows you the march that happened yesterday from Science World to place. It happened about what started at about one o'clock when they started to make their match or make their march story, and just the massive humanity was just so impressive. And I mean this again, this is the scene that was happening on the way to the match, but it was also echoed at the fan fest out at the P and E as well. Those grounds were jammed. You see here, this is the Amphitheater, this is the Freedom Mobile arch, and I should mention just because I've been there, you know, this is only what's happening in the Amphitheater. There was also a lot of people just in the grounds because there was viewing spots all over the place. At the p and E right now. So this is just the people that were inside the Amphitheater. But I mean, you're seeing a great show and we're gonna get to this in our poll question in a minute, Rick, But one of the big things that I think we didn't really factor in when we were talking about what the scene was going to be like, I mean, you you said there was no buzz in town infamously before you made a great point before the show, Rick, And the difference in time of year between twenty ten twenty ten. Now, don't get me wrong, we had an amazing Well you can't do this in twenty ten for twenty ten, though we had amazing weather. We did honestly, it barely rained, it was. It was spectacular.
Speaker 4: But you don't get this, you know, you don't get sunny days to nine o'clock and the red that yeah, you know, red jackets. You know, you don't get this in twenty ten in the winter. You get this in the summer on a beautiful day like yesterday and everybody's wearing red.
Speaker 1: And this was.
Speaker 4: Absolutely phenomenal, showcasing Vancouver as the world class city it is. This was phenomenal. Yeah, and it's only gonna get bigger for Switzerland and then the game after that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well it's interesting too, I mean because these games have been on weekdays, like I mean yesterday, and then next Wednesday and then three o'clock. Like I don't like the three o'clock.
Speaker 4: It should be seven o'clock, but whatever, Yeah, I don't like the three o'clock.
Speaker 1: But they're trying to appease everybody under including the East Coast. You gotta remember that as well, right, yes, yes, yes, it'll be harder next week, get New We'll be screaming out of here to get home to watch probably the second half of that match by the time you and I make it home. But just really impressive stuff and the scenes again on Granville as well, and Rick I was blown away by the police presence, the way.
Speaker 4: They I saw yesterday leaving the studio, like the security that they have going in this event.
Speaker 1: And again maybe you know, I know, the world's in a different place sixteen years later from twenty ten, that's obvious, but I've never seen anything like it in this city for any event. And to be honest with you, I'm kind of hoping the City of Vancouver and the province pays attention to this. In the better twenty years, when the Canucks get back in the Cup final, maybe have something at least closer to this than what you had in twenty eleven and their outcome of twenty eleven.
Speaker 4: I hope that they have learned a lot. I saw a police on every block in downtown.
Speaker 1: It was yesterday, and I mean the road closures around here. You could get nowhere near BC plays driving wise. I took the skytrain obviously from here back to my car, and the streams of people coming in on the train were just incredible. So you mentioned, by the way, the red we see there right, because the majority of fans in the crowd in the march, all of that wearing red, but not the players yesterday, what do you think in black jerseys?
Speaker 4: Were starting to be very disappointed that you would have fifty three thousand people in red and then your team is wearing black uniforms and ugly black uniforms. There is nothing in those black uniforms as screams Canadian to me. Yeah, Canada and uniforms has always been red. The hockey team went to black. I don't know why they do it. For money to sell to get more younger people. I have no idea, but the Canadian flag is red. The Canadian team say, starting in the sixties, seventies and eighties, all were red.
Speaker 1: I do not.
Speaker 4: That that black uniform last night was atrocious. It looked like somebody had spelt paint on it.
Speaker 1: The white little dribblings snow right.
Speaker 4: Why okay, why would you ask fifty two thousand Canadians to wear red and then have your team were black in ugly uniforms? And you know what, just look every other team I've seen so far in the World Cup. Argentina fans wear blue. Argentina soccer team wears blue.
Speaker 6: Nope, Now, well, Netherlands wears orange.
Speaker 1: Ok yeah, okay, so their fans didn't wear orange.
Speaker 6: No, okay, okay, I'll give you that.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying. If the fans are wearing orange, the Netherlands will wear orange. So Canada has fifty two thousand people wear red and then they trot out ugly black uniforms. Disgusting.
Speaker 1: To be honest with you, After seeing them in person, and I've seen them in person a couple of times, I like them better than I thought. But I don't disagree with you, Rick. I means you see Brazil, Brazil wears yellow. We see that. We see Argentina. Argentina wear blue and white. That's it.
Speaker 6: They wear their colors, don't United States with the stuff on it the esthetic?
Speaker 4: Okay, so why not tell everybody in Vancouver to wear black? Get the word out the fans wear black. Everybody wear black because they're Canada is gonna wear black. And so what happens Everyone wears red and it.
Speaker 1: Just looked awkward. It looked awkward.
Speaker 6: I'll give you that. But I think the uniform itself looks good and bad and like for purchase, and when you actually hold on it looks really cool.
Speaker 1: I agree, I agree, and we are being we We talked about this before the show. FIFA decides the kit, not the team. That's not necessarily true. Well, you tell FIFA the colors that you're wearing for the match, and then I believe you can then choose after that, once you've submitted them what you're going to wear. And the only thing against Canada.
Speaker 4: Is you're playing against Katar they have it's more burgundy than red, but they have that in their uniform. And Switzerland, I'm assuming they're gonna wear white because Switzerland is red and white as well. Okay, stop, I have information. Countries submit the jerseys. Yeah, they are bringing the FIFA for the tournament. FIFA then decides who's wearing what. It was predetermined we were would wear red in Toronto, black against guitar and white against the Swiss. I regardless if it's predetermined or not, it just.
Speaker 1: Did not look good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it didn't look What do you think they're gonna do against Switzerland?
Speaker 1: Though? The plan is white black, whether or not you can change because quinn I thought about that too.
Speaker 6: So it's gonna be red versus white.
Speaker 1: It would be it's gonna be red, yeah versus right. Yeah.
Speaker 4: But but to your point, Quinn I kind of thought about that for a minute, and I was like, uh, you just won six nil in a match?
Speaker 1: Do you want to change your unit?
Speaker 6: If this is hockey.
Speaker 1: If this was hockey, there'd be no debate at all. They're wearing black for the remainder of the tournament.
Speaker 4: This is FIFA. They do it their way. It's totally you gotta go through a ton of red tape. I get it. It's not like Canada woke up yesterday morning he said, let's wear black.
Speaker 6: But I don't get why wouldn't they have worn their red one or red or white one yesterday and then wear they're black on Wednesday. That makes way more sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I again, I whether why FIFA decides that these are the matchups they want. I'm assuming again it's all about selling their jerseys selling.
Speaker 4: I look, so why did fifty two thousand people were red? Because that's what people are gonna buy. Oh, people are gonna buy the red uniform.
Speaker 1: That's okay. Then tell everyone to purchase black ones.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's why they But anyways, the reality is it wasn't a good look.
Speaker 1: I will mention, by the way, and you'll talk about them more. But our friends at Pastime Sports they've got the scarves. If you're looking for merch, and it's hard to come by. I've been reading some stuff, some sports sporting good places running out of stuff. Pastime Sports online in their four locations, they've got scarves, they've got jerseys, they got all the World Cup merch you would want. And our friends at pastime Ken told me this morning, there it is there.
Speaker 4: There's the red one there the top, all right, there's the black one in the middle, the bottom right.
Speaker 1: But the red one looks bottom.
Speaker 6: Right's a goalkeeper.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, the red, the blue ones, the goalkeeper uniform. But Pastime's got you all covered with the merchandise. Look at this.
Speaker 4: Couldn't agree more with Rick. Absolutely atrocious from Canada. Those ugly black so dumb azzie goose. There's like twenty other ones.
Speaker 7: There's that.
Speaker 4: Hey, guys, before we go to the break, I want to get this in and I think it's important. So last night, after the victory, I thought about the nineteen eighty six Canadian team, the late great coach Tony Waiders. I was so lucky to interview Tony many times, a class act. How happy what a Tony Waider's been today? He would have been the happiest guy in Canada. He did so much for Canadian soccer, for Canada to win the first ever World Cup game. Tony Waiders, the great Canadian coach, he would have been the happiest guy. Oh absolutely, And he did so much, so much. And those guys on the eighty sixteen Leonard Doucy, Valentine Dale, Mitchell, Ian Bridge, Randy Samuel, Colin Miller, Paul Dolan, those guys paved the way for what happened yesterday. I don't want to forget about the eighty six team.
Speaker 1: It's a great show. Rick and Doley's coming up with us at around eleven fifteen, so that's a good segue as well. We'll talk more about the World Cup with of course, with Doley at eleven am. One week today. You know it's one week today. What the NHL draft, that's right in Buffalo, that's right, and we have draft prospect maybe the first defenseman gonna have his name announced next Friday, Chase Reid from the Sue Greyhounds. Chase is joining us at eleven AM. At ten thirty, we're gonna be joined by Beck Balenstein, forward for the Buffalo Sabers from Delta. Rick. He he's appending UFA if the Canac Melnstein is if the Canucks want to be harder to play against.
Speaker 4: If he hits July first and the Canucks don't call this kid, He's a sixty feet two hundred pounder, two hundred and eighty two hits last year, four checks like Craze, one of the fastest skaters in the NHL. If the Canucks don't go in on Beck Melenstein, I'll be absolutely shocked. They want to get bigger, they want to be harder to play against. Go get Beck. He's from Delta, good Canadian kid.
Speaker 1: Don't say the name, but there's a name people have been comparing him to. I'm gonna talk about that coming up around ten thirty because it's an interesting comparable people are pointing out. But up next he was at He had a hot tank rick that I'm gonna ask him about, and he was at the match of course, covering the World Cup for tsn farhand logy. We'll talk BC lines as well, because the lines are in action today against Hamilton. We'll talk to Fara next' Stania the team on.
Speaker 2: Check, Donnie and Dolly. The team is supported by able auctions dot ca. Closing your business we can help.
Speaker 3: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner.
Speaker 4: Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 3: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold, Please email sales at able auctions dot ca that's sales at a b L E Auctions.
Speaker 1: Dot CA Friday. All of our guests today are brought to you by Jeremy Dodd and our friends at able Auctions to reminder to get your business assets sold at auction emails sales at Able Auctions dot C, Sales at a b L E Auctions dot C. More on them and their upcoming auctions in a moment. Lots of reaction. Rick on the Jersey gate when it comes to Canada, I got support.
Speaker 4: People are saying people are supporting me, they're they're supporting you.
Speaker 1: But his FIFA's determination of when what you're gonna wear, when you're gonna wear it, So there you go. And then I thought they looked sharp yesterday. One guy that always looks sharp no matter where he is. What he's wearing is farhand logy from ts and he joins us, now, farhand, how are you, sir?
Speaker 8: Very good intro, better than Donnie ever could have given.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 8: Wow, that's that's without wow.
Speaker 1: Wow. What did you think of the black jerseys yesterday?
Speaker 9: Wait a minute quick, Quinn, don't go home until Dad, Quinn, don't go home until Dad.
Speaker 1: He will. He's texting about that.
Speaker 8: I liked him. I liked him, and like, what's the controversy that they should have worn red?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dollywall doesn't like when our Canadian national teams wear black. He thinks it should be red and white because that's when our flag. What's in our flag?
Speaker 8: Dude, there was a time when, like the men's hockey team were blue.
Speaker 9: It was a long time ago they did. Like I get that sentiment, but every team now in the world, even national teams, have additional jerseys.
Speaker 8: It's not just dark and white. It's not just flag colors.
Speaker 9: They find different ways to accent, different ways to market brand and then just look sharp. I would imagine the players look, you know, you were black, you look bigger, right, you look stronger, you look sicker.
Speaker 8: So maybe that was part of the strategy.
Speaker 9: I don't know, but you know what, it's kind of a good contrast when everybody in the building is wearing red and they can put out, you know, an accent color like black or if it was white, so be it.
Speaker 8: But I didn't mind them.
Speaker 9: I was expecting red, truly, when I saw them in warm up on the pitch, I was surprised, but not disappointed.
Speaker 1: And again we're being told next match will be white for Canada. So six nil far in Canada over Qatar. Everybody, I think, all the soccer people, you know, qutars the weak minno of the group should be. Did you see six nil coming for Canada though?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 9: I mean I you know, I thought they'd win three, maybe four, you know, like I thought if they could get to three, you know, especially after Switzerland won by three, I thought, Okay, they're gonna need to do some work to get to that point, just because that's the nature of soccer, right, And you know, you look at Guitar and they drew Switzerland earlier in the tournament, right, so nobody expected that to happen.
Speaker 8: So when you know, but ultimately, very early in the match, they were down to ten men. Then they were down to nine men.
Speaker 9: And when you get down to nine and you're not offensively gifted to begin with, these things are gonna happen, right, So I do think that's part of the context, just that Guitar was playing, you know, down quite early.
Speaker 1: Okay. So I see your hit with James Duty yesterday pregame in the bar. You were with the Voyagers, you were yucking it up, you sidles single biggest sporting event in Vancouver history. So you're putting this over twenty ten.
Speaker 8: I am yeah, and I look and understand, like, don't don't forget. The word I.
Speaker 9: Used from a was globally global. I know, okay, so from a global like I get we're in Canada, and I get we all think Canada, we all think hockey matters. I got news for you. It doesn't. It doesn't outside of Canada, and even in the United States, people are like, oh, you believe the Americans. The Americans won the gold medal this time, and they forgot about it twenty four hours later. They'll bring it up in four years, right, or whenever the next international game is. But deep down they don't give a damn right, Like, if you ask most American neutrals, right, like people that wouldn't consider themselves a fan of hockey or soccer, they would probably tell you that a World Cup win would.
Speaker 8: Matter a lot more to them than an Olympic gold medal win.
Speaker 9: Like there's seven countries that care about soccer, or sorry, that care about hockey, and only one of them cares about hockey more than soccer. You go to Sweden, Finland, any of these other countries that have some you know, perspective like that, and you give them the choice between an Olympic Hockey gold and a World Cup championship. Every one of those countries is taking Soccer's World Cup, Sweden, Finland, Russia, all of them. So from a global perspective, I think it was the single biggest game.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 9: You know, you could make the case that globally, does anybody care about Canada playing Kitar?
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say, yeah, I was gonna say, you think we're in Brazil. You think a lot of people were glued to that match yesterday?
Speaker 9: No they weren't, But people talk World Cup, right, So yeah, again, when you look at the event from a global perspective, and you know, even from a Canadian perspective, like everybody would jump on board. Like I'm telling you right now, if Canada got to a gold medal soccer game, not a guitar soccer game, like, the numbers would rival the Olympic gold medal game. And I know our ratings for this are off the charts regardless of who they're playing right now, So like it's it's a big deal. Is hockey Canada's number one sport? It is but soccer is the world's number one sport. So from a global perspective, I stand by the comment.
Speaker 4: All right, stand by it. Standing by and getting ready to play tonight the Lions in Hamilton.
Speaker 1: I saw your booth. That's a good segue. That's not bad.
Speaker 4: A professional broadcaster right there and right there standing by in Hamilton. Four receivers hurt, This is unheard of for the Lions.
Speaker 1: I don't know how.
Speaker 4: I don't know how they're going to get through to and look, there's a good chance they might be in Koloonna and two. I mean, I like, I don't know how they're gonna win tonight with four receivers hurt.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And I don't know what they're gonna do with Keon Hatcher right because he's a game time decision dealing with a hamstring injury.
Speaker 8: And you know, if it's me to be perfectly honest.
Speaker 9: I wouldn't play him just because I think even with them, they're in trouble, like big time trouble. So I would rather them, like just make sure that he's completely healthy and get you know, and be ready for those for those games in Kelowna.
Speaker 8: So I like, look, I've seen teams go through a rash of injuries.
Speaker 9: I have never seen a team lose four receivers in a single week and three of them for six games, I mean seven McGee might be gone for the year, right like, so you know, and who knows what the final outcomes are going to be on very Hill and KATOI So, yeah, like I'd be concerned. And I truly believe talking to Ryan rig Maiden and Buck Pierce and iike that there is a belief in every one of these other receivers they're fielding, right, Like Nick Snacle had a great camp, had a great preseason. They drafted him in the fourth round, you know, like Jermaine Jackson and Sevin McGee, Like that decision was a close one, right, and they couldn't keep all of these guys where they sent Jackson nobody didn't play for the team last year, and they liked what they saw. I think they liked something about every one of these guys is gonna play. But to play them all at once together really, right, Like you drop in one of those guys at a time, and that's one piece of the conversation. But to play them all together, like that's scary, and you know when you look at Rourke like he's put in a lot of time with these guys.
Speaker 8: He brought him in for his own passing camp, right.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 9: You know, then you go to training camp and the amount of time you spend building chemistry and an understanding of you know, where you want the ball on you, where you want to play certain cover coverages, you know how you want to handle certain windows. You know, like Keon Hatcher knows when Nathan Rourke is going to put the ball up and give him a chance to win contested. He knows when he's gonna put the ball back shoulder like they've practiced, you know, different catch radious points with Justin McInnis, right, Like those are the little nuances that you get when you play with the guy for a long time. And they're gonna have none of that tonight. So you know, of the four games I picked this week, it might have been the easiest one. And Rick, you accused me of being a Winnipeg and Saskatchewan fan. I don't know if you've ever accused me of being a Taycat fan. Ty Cats will win cover.
Speaker 1: Over all of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, Their The lines are in tough tonight. That's the bottom line. We'll see how they do though, But any team with Nathan Rourke.
Speaker 9: They're gonna take what we just said and they're gonna play a pregame.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Now listen, you know what, it's the Pederson stuff is starting again. The rumors, teams are calling Canucks are they going to retain or not?
Speaker 1: Blah blah blah. We're doing this again.
Speaker 4: We did it the deadline, always will, always will. This guy is never going to win in the city unless he asked for a trade or they somehow find a way to move them.
Speaker 9: I agree. I couldn't agree more. And look, this is not a shot at p D. It's it's a lot of it is for him. Like to me, it's not just you know, the market needs a complete clean slate, right, and he represents the core right, and you know, big pieces of the core already gone, and I think the market is tired of it.
Speaker 8: And it's been two and a half years.
Speaker 9: And like you know, people will think, oh, the media hates pd It's nothing. It's not a media thing, Like we're not trying to run him out. This is this is based on fan reaction and fans sentiment. So from my perspective. I've said this before. I think p D can be an eighty point center. Again, I don't think he'll ever come near a hundred. I think he can be an eighty point guy, but I don't think he'll be here. So does the organization need a clean slate?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 8: Does p D need a clean slate?
Speaker 9: He may not think he does, or deep down want one, or just want to navigate it to a certain spot, but I do think for his own career arc he needs the weight to off him.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 9: It took a long time before people started to stop talking about Louis Louis Erickson's deal, right like every year for probably three maybe four years, and then finally after the fifthield, they only had a year left on the deal and they got they moved on from him, and he didn't have the perception of being you know, this sulking character in the locker room and things like that, right, like the death stare and all of this stuff. So I just think, from from his end as much as the organization's end, I think it will be the right thing. And truly, like, unless he turns his career around, I think the conversation is never going to.
Speaker 8: Stop until he gets traded. It's just the way it is at this point.
Speaker 1: So you officially have World Cup fever. We should summarize with that. After yesterday I saw you, you had the flag around you and everything in the pub, well.
Speaker 8: The fans put it. Actually asked the producer, I said, can I wear scarf? And He's like no.
Speaker 9: And then and then right before I went on air, one of the fans pulling on me. And then like midway through the hit, somebody else putting on.
Speaker 8: Me, and you know, and it worked.
Speaker 9: Look, it's hard not to and I'm I'm not a big soccer guy, right, but when you have these types of events, it's impossible.
Speaker 8: I like, whether I'm a soccer Gary or not.
Speaker 9: I'm a big Vancouver guy, right, And so the way this city presents matters to me.
Speaker 8: And this city is showing out.
Speaker 9: It's not just the Canada Games, it's everything, right, I mean, whether it was an England or a Brazil or a Mexico watch party at the fan Fest, an Iranian watch party at the Stockyards, Australia taking over Granville Street, all of it.
Speaker 8: This city is showing out.
Speaker 9: And you know that March and the scenes before the game I was concerned. I'm like, hey, did we get to this place too early? Because they're not going to begin to march until twelve thirty, which is an hour after we went on air, and the place was packed. We're lining ups out the door and every bar in the area was like they were booked. You couldn't get in. So it's a cool time to be in this city. We had it sixteen years ago and I'm excited to be a part of it now.
Speaker 1: We're excited to have you as part of our show, and we'll have you back again next week.
Speaker 9: Fans, professional broadcast segue right there, and I'm learning.
Speaker 1: I'm trying my best.
Speaker 8: Quinn, Quinn, tell dat how it's done.
Speaker 1: Thanks, Baran, talk to you next week.
Speaker 8: See you boys, have a good weekend.
Speaker 1: TSN joining us on the other side, Rick, We're going to be chatting with Pending Ufa from Delta British Columbia. Right, Beck Malenstein forward for the Buffalo Sabers. We're going to talk with Beck next. We'll also set up our poll question as well.
Speaker 3: It's Donny and Dolly the check looking for the ultimate Vancouver Island getaway. Head to beautiful Parksville and experience the Bayside ocean Front Resort, where every stay feels like a vacation you'll never forget. From sunrise walks on the beach to sunsets on the patio, Bayside puts you steps from the sand with ocean views in every direction. Splash in the indoor and outdoor pools, hit the fitness center, then relax with a hand crafted cocktail at the ocean front restaurant and lounge. Whether it's date night, a family trip, or a corporate event, Bayside is your perfect year round escape. Book your getaway now at two five ozho two four eight eight tuple three.
Speaker 1: Your island adventure starts here Friday. All of our guests today are brought to you by our title sponsor and our friends at Able Auctions. A reminder to get your business assets sold at auction. You can email sales at Able Auctions, dot CA, sales at ab l E Auctions. We are joined now, Rick Yeah from Delta, British Columbia. Forward for the Buffalo Savers, pending UFA from the Buffalo Savers, Beck Malenstein, Beck, thanks for doing this today. How are you?
Speaker 7: I'm good guys? How you doing?
Speaker 1: Lovely? We know, we're interrupting a workout something we don't really know much.
Speaker 7: We we got it, we got it done, so we're all good.
Speaker 1: Awesome, awesome, Well I mentioned so second year in Buffalo just concluded for you the big thing though there back fourteen years no playoffs, they finally get back to it this season. Can you describe what that city was like over those two rounds?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean, honestly, it's almost indescribable.
Speaker 7: They there was just so much passion, so much energy in the city.
Speaker 13: You can tell just how much those people cared about it.
Speaker 7: It was electric.
Speaker 13: I mean every time stepping into the rank around the community, everybody was just, you know, so happy to be a part of what was going on. And as players, we really just tried to soak that in. And yeah, very very special, a very special run. Obviously we wished it could have went a little bit longer, but all in all, we just we just had such a blast and it was so fun to see, uh see that city revitalized with that kind of energy.
Speaker 1: I know you were on the other side of it, obviously, but what was what was it like being in the Bell Center during playoff games?
Speaker 7: I mean, it was incredible too.
Speaker 13: I think as a Canadian kid, you know, you stand in there and you uh, you know, you hear the anthem and things like that.
Speaker 7: It was it was pretty memorable.
Speaker 13: I mean, that's such a historic, historic building, historic team, and really just the epitome of what you know, you kind of expect Canadian playoff hockey to be like and an energy and a rink. So yeah, we were very fortunate that, you know, both buildings we got to play and found ways to get a lot of energy and we get rocking pretty good.
Speaker 1: So I just mentioned it second year in Buffalo, all those years of not making the playoffs and then it clicked this year they made the GM change. Of course, Kevin Adams goes out, what what was the why did the switch suddenly flip with you guys this year and you were able to break through.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I don't know if there was a you know, a definitive moment that really changed it.
Speaker 7: I think, you know, as a group, you go through the hard.
Speaker 13: The trying times that we kind of went through the previous season and kind of started the season off the same way. But there was always an internal belief that we were a really good hockey team. We just kind of had to figure out those those small last few little things, and you know, we went on that three game stretch and we kind of just played like we had nothing to lose there for a little bit. You know, there was the writing on the wall for a lot of people. You know, guys were expecting there to be some changes. They made that GM change and you know, we just started playing a little bit more freely.
Speaker 7: I think was the biggest thing.
Speaker 13: We'd been taught a lot of systems, but this was maybe that that chance for us to really just get that trust to go see, okay, like you know, we've done that, we've done the work, let's just go see if we can execute it. And we really just kind of found our game that way started to click. We gained that confidence. You know, there were points the season before where we couldn't hang on to leeds. We started to do that consistently, and I think as a group, you know, you just started to appreciate how much fun it was to win, but how hard it was to win, and just didn't want to turn back. So you know, we just kind of kept working on that, and you know, it was a pretty special back half of the season.
Speaker 7: Once we figured that out.
Speaker 4: Hey, back the business side of hockey. You're gonna be looking at it.
Speaker 1: You're a UFA. How are you handling?
Speaker 4: I'm sure Buffalo watch you back. They would be crazy not to. We're almost at July first. Talk a little bit about being a UFA, going back to Buffalo or hitting the market.
Speaker 13: Yeah, obviously it's a brand new experience for me, something I haven't been involved with before. So you know, this is just really an opportunity for me to trust the trust my agents to do their job. And you know, we still got some time to figure out working something out in Buffalo, so you know that's kind of first and foremost of the priority. And yeah, I really enjoyed my time there at the city, the people, the organization, you know, the direction that the team's going in. It's definitely a place that I would love to stay, love to keep playing in. So you know, like I said, we got a little bit of time to hopefully work that out, and then you know, if if not, there's it's a it's a brand new opportunity. But you know, at this current stage, I'm just focused on trying to make it work to stay there.
Speaker 4: Hey, Beck, you hit July first in the hometown Canucks call you.
Speaker 1: Have you thought about that seriously though?
Speaker 4: Did you grow up a Canucks fan and what if they call on July first?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 13: Absolutely, I think you know, any kid that grew up in this area around that time, you know, I was probably ten years old when they went on the Cup run, or twelve years old, and you know, the whole city we're Canucks fans.
Speaker 7: So it's it's something.
Speaker 13: That you know, probably I've never put too much thought into being that this is the this is the first time, but you know, in a world where where that situation comes about, obviously it would be it would be an interesting one for me.
Speaker 4: You know, career high two hundred and eighty two hits a new Sabers record, You're fast, physical, There's gonna be a lot of teams lining up for you back. Talk about your style of play and why it's so attractive to teams.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think you know, for me, it's it's been my uh, it's been my identity, you know, kind of right from the get go. It was you know, I grew up playing football and hockey, so I was chomping at the bit the second I could start hitting on the ice too. And yeah, It's something that's always just kind of gotten me into games.
Speaker 7: So you know, it's always been a huge part of it for me.
Speaker 13: And and that physicality and speed has you know, allowed me to kind of be successful at younger levels, and then it really kind of allowed me to build that role, is that that bottom six power forward. I think, you know, when I turned pro, there's a lot of guys who you know, are highly skilled that you know, you can you fight for those top six spots and things like that, and can they change their game to maybe fight.
Speaker 7: For a bottom six role.
Speaker 13: And I was very fortunate to have a lot of coaches that you know, really reassure and me that, you know, continuing to play this way, building my game that way, focusing on things like penalty killing for checking, and then you know, continue to polish the offensive side of it within that was gonna give me my best opportunity. And so you know, throughout my time in Hershey and Washington and through into Buffalo, you know, you kind of lay your trust in the hands of the coaches that you have and the development staff, and yeah, it was it was something that's been It's been a long ride, but it's been it's been a ton of fun just to be able to, you know, continue to play my game, a game that I really enjoy.
Speaker 4: Hey, back three BC boys on that Buffalo team, you Zach, Benson, Bull and Byrom good representation. Talk about you know, Byron and Benson, all three of you good Vancouver BC kids.
Speaker 13: Yeah, no, we we obviously had a ton of fun together. You know, we'll we'll bring We'll bring Josh Owenen as a as an honorary one.
Speaker 7: He spent some time up a Kamloops in the summertime.
Speaker 13: So yeah, no, we It's always a lot of fun to uh, to have guys your team that you know, you grew up either with or around. You know, you've gone through some similar experiences, played on similar teams. You have a lot to connect with, especially when you kind of come through those West Coast swings. All the guys get a lot of family in and around together. So nothing but great things to say about you know, all three of those guys here unbelievable hockey players. So I'm happy to be looped in with them.
Speaker 1: So what does summer training look like for you back? What are you working on and how quickly did you get back on the ice. After the end of the season for the Sabers.
Speaker 13: I haven't gotten back on the ice yet, probably do that here pretty soon. I just kind of got back into the gym here the last week or so, you know, tried to take two weeks to just kind of be a dad for a little bit, you know, spend some quality time with my family and with the kids and you know, chasing them around his activity enough too much rest, but definitely starting to feel that itch to get back into it and start to see the guys in the gym again. So I train out of here in Delta with with Ian Gallagher. So been here since I was probably fourteen, been with these guys for a long time, and yeah, we haven't signed fun in the gym together. The group's been together for a really long time. Obviously some changing pieces in and out, but always fun to get back in here and get to work.
Speaker 1: I have an almost four year old, and I'm telling myself that that is good cardio as well. So if you're saying that back then I'm gonna stand with that as well. Hey, thanks for doing this day, really appreciate it. All the best in free agency and with whatever's ahead for you.
Speaker 7: Awesome guys, I really appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Beck Malenstein joining us from Delta. Man. What an impressive dude that guy is. Hamrick six feet.
Speaker 4: Two hundred pounder, four checks, kills penalties, one of the fastest skaters in the NHL two hundred and eighty two hits. He would replace Sherwood. Yeah, and he would make the Knucks tougher to play against. Definitely help on the four check if he's available July first. I don't know why the Canucks wouldn't call.
Speaker 1: That was the comparable Obo was bringing up earlier in the show that some people were pointing out and it kind of fits. Yes, he for Surewood in him very similar. I mean, you know, Beck hasn't had the offensive. Maybe they'll come in a new environment or as things progress for him. But the rest of it, yeah, it's very good comparable.
Speaker 4: In my opinion, Connects need to get bigger, harder to play against. And the most important thing, good Canadian kid.
Speaker 1: Well and good culture guy. You can tell. You can just tell the way he talks and everything. Rick could be perfect fit in the luck up absolutely okay, wadling dog poll question for the first time in today's show, a reminder you can experience one of Victoria's iconic destinations and catch every World Cup Canadian match with full sound on their twenty two TVs at the Waterling Dog. Come sit and stay at the Dog today, Rick, all right, Quentin, get her up the Waterling Dog Pop Pop question.
Speaker 4: One event has the better atmosphere in Vancouver The twenty ten Olympics or the twenty twenty six World Cup. And look at this Olympics leading a sixty two percent and thirty seven percent is the World Cup.
Speaker 1: The one interesting thing Derek made the point about before the show is and Fine touched on it. We're seeing watch parties pretty much daily for all the games. The fan festival of course is one spot, but elsewhere as well. That is true. But every day during twenty ten you had a Canadian for the most part, you had a Canadian to cheer for in something. And you don't have that with this event because Canada plays every few days and you know, you don't have constant daily involvement, and so that's where you might get the edge. You as had the edge because hockey was involved in twenty hockey and that and that's all. That's our games.
Speaker 4: NHL Stars galor in town of Vechkin, Maulk and all those guys. The Americans hockey played a big role in that.
Speaker 6: We also see in the Amphitheater, like you know, the the Colombian fans, the Mexican fans. There's still stuff going on every single big time, big time. Just because it's not Canada doesn't mean people aren't coming out.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Quinn, And to be honest with you, again, it's something that I keep bringing up that I think I took for granted just how many people were going to travel here for this event. And look, we have a very multi multicultural city is anyway, so there's a lot of people just from different backgrounds here. But you can tell there's also a lot of people that have traveled.
Speaker 4: Here to support their teams or even just to be part of the event that maybe they don't have.
Speaker 1: Their country here stationed in Vancouver. So that's what you're seeing a lot of out of the fan festival. It's it's different. I think it's closer than what those poll results in terms of the atmosphere what those poll results are showing, and as the tournament goes on, maybe it gets more. It's also again you've had these matches during weekdays, which is different, and people have revisioned his history twenty ten, the way it ended was absolutely La La Land Canada and one of Canada's name hockey players getting the overtime winner against their biggest rival. I mean, how do you script it better?
Speaker 6: That was also Canada's first game too, well exactly.
Speaker 1: For here here first. Yeah, I mean, look at what's the scene going to be like for that round of thirty two match. If they're here for the sixteen match, what's that going to be like? I mean that's gonna be bananas insane. Okay, time to talk about our title sponsor able auctions. We've been mentioning them today. By June the twenty third, coming up, Abel is going to sell the contents of a closed communications contractor thirty trucks in vans, including bucket trucks, bucket vans, service fans, and others, plus over one hundred commercial grade ladders and you need a ladder rick We know some people that need ladders. I might this weekend, Yeah, and wire inventory everything from bucket trucks to ladders sold to the highest bidder. June the twenty third for information on this communication contractor closure auction. Go to able Auctions dot Ca, or to get your business assets sold at auction. Email sales at able Auctions dot Ca, sales at abl The Auctions dot Ca loaded eleven o'clock hours ahead at eleven Chase Reed eleven fifteen. More on the World Cup with our correspondent Paul Dolan. But next Big Rye featuring Quinn Taylor, It's Donnie Dahlly the team I check.
Speaker 4: Looking for one of Victoria's most iconic stays. The award winning Waddling Dog has been welcoming guests in there for over thirty years. Ten minutes from the airport in the Ferry, their room blend vented charm with modern comfort, making it the perfect home base for your island adventures. Your trip isn't complete without a stop at the legendary Waddling Dog. Pop twenty tabs, Waaldwall, TVs. Every Canucks game and UFC pay per view, plus an extensive daily happy hour, and before you go, stock up at their cold beer wine store, hundreds of local and imported options, plus exclusive Donnie and Dolly merchandise. The Dog isn't just a hotel, It's a destination.
Speaker 1: Come sentence day time now for big rather the Twitter guy and a reminder, is it just me coming up next hour? Get your submissions into our bay side ocean front resort inbox six four two hundred ninety four ninety four. Email the team at Checkmedia dot CA. Quinn Taylor handling big rhyme.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I am the first thing I want to show here. That shirt by the way, Quinn, Yeah, yeah, take it out.
Speaker 1: Chris, what's going on? Not that nice? Not bad night, exact same one.
Speaker 6: No, you know, I do not you have something like I gotta get a big l going on this. Didn't you take the BC Lions shirt that earlier in the year, Yes, I took it.
Speaker 1: I took it. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so you're fine.
Speaker 1: Clearly your dad is taking that grudge home with him. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 6: Well we got a football from it, so Broy, he did get a football.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Anyways, Uh, this is from James Duffy. Derek, you get it up. Jesse Marsh says that there are three top surgeons at Vancouver Jenna Hospital Hospital operated on Ismael's Konye's leg. Last night. They're watching the game and then from the hospital they came straight to the They came straight to him to work on him and uh, you know, get him through the injuries. That's really cools. The whole city's getting together, uniting.
Speaker 1: That is just incredible stuff. That's that's incredible that that they that they would do that and head straight to the hospital. And it sounded like it's a significant injury. I believe he busted tibia amphibia, so he's yeah he I mean, the World Cups obviously over for him, but this this happening is just incredible. And again, by the way, surgeons are saints, not my not my journey. I'm like, like, how do you you do that for a living? Cutting people open?
Speaker 6: I couldn't even look at the video of them getting that's getting hurt, like a stand there for hours operating on that.
Speaker 1: You know, you're at home, You're watching chips and beverages and whatever, and yeah, you know what, I think, I'm gonna go cut this guy's leg open, and yeah, I think we're gonna go help Canada get this. Yeah, but it's just we're gonna help our country get this guy back on the field. If you can't, I just surgeons, they gotta be special people. I just couldn't do that smart.
Speaker 6: Yeah, obviously they're special people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, they're smart.
Speaker 6: Yeah. And then I guess the guy who uh the hit him as meme the came into the essing room after and apologized to the entire team. So that was pretty nice, dude. Jesse March said that as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said that postmatch, and and Jesse marsh he said he didn't think the tackle was all that bad and he was more surprised by Qatar's reaction to the red red card where they were pretty coming over right and like I said, right at the as it happened, and then at the end of the match they were chirping some more.
Speaker 6: I don't quite understand that. I didn't get understand about that. Is, did guitar think they're coming back like it was three to nothing when that happened. I mean, I make it a big deal, but I get it.
Speaker 1: But like, but I also Jesse Jesse marshallso didn't hand out the red card. So if you did, if that's your beef, then usually you would see them going at the reps and I didn't see that happening. They were going at the Canadian bench, So I'm not sure so sure what was going on there, But yeah, I mean tough go for Qatar. I mean to lose that bad is a pretty big knock, especially after being host in the last World Cup as well.
Speaker 6: As the World Cup keeps on expanding and bringing on more countries and teams, there's gonna be way more results.
Speaker 1: It happened, and I hate it, Quinn, And it's just the way we're going. Look at you see the NCAA. They're gonna expand mass badness and college football they're gonna do the same thing. Everybody wants more and it's just not at all good for the product in any which way.
Speaker 6: No, anyways, I'm gonna pivot back to hockey here. Uh this is from Kevin Weeks. Uh, Zak Benson supposed to be signing seven times seven in Buffalo. Yeah, that's the speculation.
Speaker 1: This is an interesting It doesn't say it's closed.
Speaker 4: It says that per my sources, I'm told they're working away on a seven years time seven aa V. So this is the kid on kid from Chilliwack. I'm saying this right now though. If they signed this steal, this is an unreal steal for Buffalo.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he was the best player. I'll playoffrount He's you understand why.
Speaker 4: You have to understand why the number is at the number because the Buffalo just signed Don to a similar deal and they have similar numbers.
Speaker 1: Which is what Weeks points out at the bottom there. That's last line. I know it's a little small print, but yeah, we always knew it was going to be in this range. But I agree with Quinn though. Seven. I know, if you're doing an internal cap and you want them on line with don't I get all that, But seven million for Zach Benson that seems real cheap.
Speaker 4: But look at the term. I mean, you know, you get the security of the what do you want? Eight, nine, ten?
Speaker 1: Right? I would have thought I would him. Yeah, I would have thought he would have been a nine million dollar player.
Speaker 6: After that playoff, and he was. I thought he was the best forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and the skill set he provides, the energy, the physicals, got all of it.
Speaker 4: He's got Brad Marshalls.
Speaker 1: That's what it is, Rick, That's what heses people off.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You remember when Charlie McAvoy, yes, the suspension he's gotta you know, whacked him on the shoulder with at the end of that one game. So he's a great, great kid from chiliwac The Canucks didn't draft him, they took the lantern letter and then he went to a buffalo I think at thirteen.
Speaker 1: But good for him.
Speaker 4: And there's a local kid that's gonna that's gonna be set up for life, you know. But it doesn't say they're close. It's there work working on it. And I've been told, you know, there's work to do for it's done.
Speaker 6: So here this last one you got to get too, Quinn. This is very show this so Norway. They're staying in North Carolina. I showed them a bit last week. So they've brought over six thousand oranges, six hundred pounds of salmon, and two hundred and fifty pounds of Norwegian brown cheese to keep a consistent quality diet that they grew up with. I guess they don't trust the American food and what's going on there.
Speaker 1: Which is bizarre. I know. To the credit to this.
Speaker 6: Six thousand oranges, there's like it's like thirty guys.
Speaker 4: Look, I'm an orange guy. I eat three a day, Mandarin. They got to be mad for me.
Speaker 6: No, I think these are the big orange orange like.
Speaker 1: When he are. No, they'd be when he plays soccer, any sports.
Speaker 6: As a kid and someone brings out slice the oranges, this is probably what it's gonna be aime, Yeah, which is like an amazing treat.
Speaker 4: When NHL team's going to overtime, double overtime, triple overtime and they bring in the fruit, I mean oranges, are you know vitamin she They're gonna give you energy.
Speaker 1: So two thousand pounds of food.
Speaker 6: I think to get sick of this, Like they're here for like a month, they're gonna have They're all they're gonna be eating is cheese, salmon in.
Speaker 1: Or how about if they go to the tournament? Quick? What are you gonna do with all the food? That's maybe something the media members of North Carolina.
Speaker 4: You expect them to healthy, you expect them to go to the final. Okay, the food's great, they get kicked out early. What are you gonna do with the food?
Speaker 1: I'm only a little surprised by this because usually we hear these types of stories and this is no disrespect. But if if if one of these North American teams or a big European team goes to a place, or for instance, if they're worried like Canada, remember they got food poisoning in Mexico, right, or was it the white Caps? No, the white Caps. White Caps got When you worry about those sorts of things, sometimes you'll hear of this happening, which can kind of make sense in North America. A team doing this in North America surprising, but.
Speaker 6: I can see them being worried about the players going out to get McDonald's or something like.
Speaker 4: I guess, but don't tell me there's no oranges or salmon in North Carolina.
Speaker 1: Why geez, the state. I don't think.
Speaker 6: I don't think this. I don't think the salmon's like. I think it's all farm salmon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe in North Carolina. Maybe not the best. Maybe you could ship it over from Seattle or something. But it makes a little bit surpressent. You like salmon, Oh, yeah, you know what.
Speaker 6: I like raw salmon way more than cook salmon. I don't really like salmon that much, but really I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't like better this this brown cheese from Ruwegia. It's caramel flavored cheese, all right, really caramel made by boiling cows and goat's milk. Why wow, Yeah, it's a specialty.
Speaker 4: It's a special The cheese two hundred and fifty pounds though caramel. Think about it, yea, but hold it two fifty pounds caramel flavored cheese.
Speaker 1: I've never heard that.
Speaker 6: What do you think they're storing?
Speaker 1: It is the hell of a cooler they got going. Maybe they brought that with them too, I'm not sure anyway. Okay, up next, good stuff, Quinn. They're in big rye. Up next, as I mentioned, loaded eleven o'clock hour, eleven fifteen, Paul Dolan on the World Cup. But up next, Chase Reed, Ricky Sue Greyhounds defense arguably going to be the top defenseman. Called next Friday at the draft in Buffalo. We'll talk with Chase Next. It's Donnie the team on Check.
Speaker 3: Hey everyone, it's Donnie at Dully and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 4: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast, and on social media.
Speaker 1: We'd love to get involved with your company.
Speaker 3: Called two five oho eight eight oh twenty two eighty two or email.
Speaker 1: Advertise at checkmedia dot ca. All of our guests on today's show are brought to you by our friends Jeremy Dodd and Able Auctions. For more information on getting your business assets sold at auction, you can email sales at able Auctions dot ca, sales at ab l E Auctions dot ca. Rick, It's hard to believe, but we are one week away from the NHL Draft coming up in Buffalo. Talk a lot about Buffalo today and one of the prospects that's going to have his name called arguably going to be the defenseman of that. Here's his name called. First is Chase Read from the Sue Greyhounds, and he's joining us on the program. Now, Chase, thanks for doing this today. How are you?
Speaker 10: I'm good, how are you? Thanks for having me?
Speaker 1: Very good? Yeah, we appreciate it. We appreciate it. So one week, as I mentioned, one week away from the draft, can you put into words how excited you are, nervous you are? What are you feeling one week out from the draft.
Speaker 10: Definitely a little bit of all of it.
Speaker 5: I'm excited to get there and be with all the prospects and get my name called, and especially congratulate my peers there as well.
Speaker 1: So do you have draft plans? How many people are going? Friends? Family? What are you doing for the big day? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I mean, obviously my younger brother, my mom and dad are coming, and then we got about fifty other people coming as well, so there's going to be quite a few people there for me.
Speaker 10: So I'm excited.
Speaker 1: Maybe keep your visa tucked away if I was you, if you got that, Mane. So talk about this year for you, Chase, it's you know, heading into the draft year. How hard was it to keep focused on, you know, the Sue Greyhounds and what you were doing and progressing as a prospect without looking at to this big day coming up?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think obviously having the great coaching staff and teammates that I had in the Sue, it made it gave me all the more reason to just go out there and be able to do my thing each and every night. But they give you every capability to be able to go out there and just like I said, do your thing every night.
Speaker 10: So I owe all my credit to the Greyhounds.
Speaker 1: All right, you do so many wonderful things on the ice.
Speaker 4: That's why NHL scouts are all over You describe your game to us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm definitely a two way defenseman that loves having the puck on my stick, but loves keeping the puck out of the back of my own.
Speaker 10: Net as well.
Speaker 5: I love to carry the play, I love to run the power play. I love to score goals.
Speaker 10: As you can see in this clip.
Speaker 5: I just I love having the puck on my stick, but I take pride in definitely keeping the puck out of the back of my own net as well.
Speaker 4: Lots of good young American defenseman the last few years. Who do you model your game around?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Zach Warensky, I feel like we have a lot in common. We can both run a power pulay, both take control of a game. We both have great skating ability to kill plays early in the neutral zone and transition fast the other way.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's a guy. I definitely want to model my game after.
Speaker 1: Hey, you know what, Chase.
Speaker 4: In twenty twenty three, you were released by your USHL team. Twenty twenty four, you played Tier two and all of a sudden boom that adversity those two years.
Speaker 1: How did you get through that?
Speaker 5: Definitely lean on my family. They were my biggest support system each and every day. I called them at least two or three times a day.
Speaker 10: Definitely leaning into my faith with God as well.
Speaker 5: I feel like that was a big piece of the success I've had today.
Speaker 10: So I alle my credit to my Lord and Savior.
Speaker 4: All right, Chase, let's go to Buffalo the combine. The Canucks took you out to dinner. How is dinner with the Canucks?
Speaker 10: It was a lot of fun being there.
Speaker 5: They welcomed me in the interview room and it was it felt like home in there from the second I walked in. They made it super welcoming and it felt super super comfortable I could be myself. And then obviously going to dinner with them, it was a lot of fun. We had some good laughs and definitely a very good meal.
Speaker 1: So did you have a steak? Did you? It was a steak?
Speaker 12: Right?
Speaker 4: What was that?
Speaker 1: What's that steak called? Was it? Was it? Wago Wago? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the one to order, Chase. That's the most expensive one. Come on, that's good stuff.
Speaker 10: What do boys got it?
Speaker 6: Chase?
Speaker 10: What did the only one that didn't get?
Speaker 1: Chase?
Speaker 4: What did the Canucks tell you that they like about you?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 5: They I think just my personality, the ability to just be myself in my in the game and obviously off the ice.
Speaker 10: They really liked that.
Speaker 5: And then obviously my play on the ice and the way I control myself off the ice. I feel like they all around, they just really liked me as a person and a player.
Speaker 1: Chase. There's a lot of discourse right now around American players playing in Canada. Maybe they'd rather stay in the United States. So how do you feel about if you were called by a Canadian team and getting the chance to play up here in Canada away from where you're from.
Speaker 5: Obviously, Yeah, I think being in the Sioux definitely helped me train for that. Being welcomed in by the Sioux fans in the Canadian environment, it definitely helped. And yeah, I would have no problem coming to play in a Canadian market. I mean, hockey's the biggest thing in Canada, so I feel like that'd be that'd be pretty cool.
Speaker 1: And we do have Weago beef in Vancouver. It's expensive, but heads up on that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, they were telling me about it.
Speaker 1: I bet they were. I bet they were so. Biggest areas you feel you need to work on in terms of your game, Chase still.
Speaker 5: Yeah, obviously everything you can always find tune everything in your game. But if we're focused on main things, definitely still the defensive side. I think there's still a lot to clean up back there, making sure I'm not getting puck focused when the puck goes up to the point, and make sure I'm finding my guy in the D zone, making sure I'm still surfing in the neutral zone. And just the best defense is offense, So just having the puck on your stick more than your defending is always better.
Speaker 4: There were two guys in this draft chase that improved incredibly month after month. It was you and Caleb Maholtra. What was it about this year that you kept getting better?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like I said, the defensive side, I feel like I added that element to my game this past season, and I feel like the scouts and everyone's finally started to see that, which was really cool for me. I was told if I didn't have that element to my game that I was never gonna have a chance to play in the NHL. So I took that to heart and I definitely made the conscious effort to clean that up.
Speaker 4: Along the way the journey. Were there any coaches that helped you along that? I mean, was there any significant, one person that really really helped you get to this point where you might be the top defenseman taken in the NHL? Draft next week.
Speaker 10: I think there's a couple definitely from a young age.
Speaker 5: Brian Jardine. He was my coach on Honey Baked when I was growing up. And then yeah, obviously John Deane and the Sioux helped me tremendously each and every day. And Brendan Taylor as well, and Danny Nicandrov. They all helped me in a significant way each and every whether that was touches after practice or little.
Speaker 10: Things in the game.
Speaker 5: I mean, they were all super super good to me. And then Garrett Roth and Alec Rahauser when I got sent down to Bismarck in the North American League, they both obviously giving me the opportunity to go play junior and excel and just kind.
Speaker 10: Of go do my thing out there.
Speaker 5: I feel like, yeah, obviously I've had a pretty long path, but they've they've all given me all of the opportunities to be myself.
Speaker 1: So well, this was excellent. Chase really appreciate making time. I know it's a busy time for you one week out from the draft. All the best to you and your family again next week and if you come to Vancouver, will save some wegu be for you. Yep.
Speaker 10: Perfect thank you, Thanks.
Speaker 1: Chase appreciated Chase Reid from the Sue Greyhounds, and it's Rick. I will say it's a very interesting draft because if you pull up ten pick ten people that cover the draft, you're gonna get ten results for the top three. For the most part, they're all leaning with McKenna number one. But then after that it's like this, you don't know what's going on. And it's actually it's pleasant for me because I kind of thought it was gonna be more of a chalk like, Okay, we're gonna know what's gonna happen here. But with San Jose getting into the queue, that kind of screws things up because they need a defenseman maybe over a forward. All the things. It's gonna be a very interesting draft next Friday.
Speaker 4: And I also want to say, like two years ago, he got cut, Yeah, he got cut, and then he went to the Sioux just saw all you kids out. Their adversity is a part of life. Yeah, just because you get cut doesn't mean that it's over. He got cut two years ago, and now he's gonna be the top rated defenseman at the NHL Draft all within two years.
Speaker 1: Keep plugging away, well, Rick, even you just touched on it, even the adversity this season of you're listed one place in October. Yeah, and look where you are a week out from the draft. He completely different spot.
Speaker 4: He Whatever team takes that kid is gonna be really really happy.
Speaker 1: And I don't know, we talked about this before the show. I don't know what it is about this draft. Every kid we've had on has been so impressive. If you missed our interview yesterday with Liam and Marcus Rock, take some time this weekend check it out on our YouTube. Those two, the way they.
Speaker 4: Came across matthis Preston, Bryan Lynn, Right.
Speaker 1: I mean we've talked to the long list of guys. We've had Caleb a. Alton, We've had stenburg On, We've had a long list of guys going back a few months. But for whatever reason, all of them have come across just so incredibly well this season or this year on our show. So some high quality guys are going to be taken in this draft coming up next Friday. Okay. On the other side, Paul Dolan's going to join us. We'll get back in the World Cup talk. Uh, And then we have DTMZ and is it just me all ahead as well. It's Donn you know the team on check.
Speaker 2: Donnie and Dolly. The team is supported by Abelauctions dot ca A closing your business we can help.
Speaker 3: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets.
Speaker 1: Able Auctions can help for.
Speaker 3: A free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at Ableauctions dot ca. That's sales at ab LA Auctions dot cam.
Speaker 1: Going to talk more World Cup in a moment with our pal Paul Dolan. All of our guests today are brought to you by our friends at Abel Auctions. Canada six nil winners over Katar yesterday at BC Place, the Canadian men's national team's first game at BC Place after the initial game in Toronto. Joined now by member of the nineteen eighty six team Canada team at the World Cup, Apple TV soccer commentator and World Cup correspondent for Donnian Dolly, Paul Dolan, Doley, thanks for doing this. How are you, sir, oh was he muted? Oh no, never got him. Dolly wouldn't ever plugged in, said the one.
Speaker 11: I'm most proud of his World Cup, corresponded Ford.
Speaker 1: I bet yes so Dotley. Everybody, all the smart soccer people were saying, Katar, that could be the easy game for Canada of the three. Did you see six nil though? With nine man? I understand all that, But did you see an explosion like that offensively coming for Canada.
Speaker 11: Yeah, there's a couple of different ways of looking at it, because Canada had struggled to score goals, and so regardless of the opponent, especially a team like Katar that got the draw against Switzerland and held them for good periods of that game after the penalty kick goal to that one one draw. Although Switzerland was wasteful, Canada had been as well in the games leading up to this tournament and then even in the Bosnia game. So you wondered, from a Canadian point of view, could we break down what you knew was going to be a resolute defensive block of Katari players. But once we got that first goal, and by the way, the way that Canada came out was much more aggressive than they came out against Bosnia much more, I think, aligned to the way that Jesse Marsh wants him to play, which is on the front foot and aggressive and positive, and he saw overloads down the flanks, both on Ali's side and also on Alistair Johnson's side. Alistair Johnson had an incredible game alongside Tejan Buchanan the twov Ones. They were setting up the little chip ball in from Alistair that sets up David for the volley, and then the follow up that Kyle Larin, as he always does, right on the doorstep, you know, comes big at the right moment, And so did Jonathan David come big at the right moment, a hat trick after lots of talk about, oh, whether we should even start this player because he hadn't looked great in previous Canadian games. But did I think six? I thought at that point, yeah, I thought we need four and I thought that that could happen even before the setting off, especially at Too Nill, with the way things were flying. Things seem to be just clicking so well for Canada that I really did think we would score some goals, but obviously aided by a second red card as well. But I love even at the end of the game up six nil and Alistair Johnson is sprinting to the corner flag to get another ball into the area. So that positivity which was there for ninety minutes, you love to see. And I saw Antonio Conte, the former Italian player of course, and the Chelsea manager and worldwide international manager, was talking about that aggressiveness from Canada and how impressed he was with it, and that teams that will play Canada now on the knockout stages better be on the lookout for how good this team can be.
Speaker 1: Do only you touched on him there? Kyle Laren, he gets a goal yesterday they're twenty three to three to zero Canada. Is when Kyle Laren scores, how important is he to the national team.
Speaker 11: He has scored so many big goals as well. But that's a telling stat, isn't it That when he scored, you know you're going to win the game. And so when he scores early after having scored the very very important goals, we look back on it now against Bosnia to tie that game with just minutes remaining. As well, he comes clutch at the right time. He'll tell you that as well as he did after the Bosnia. So you want players who are confident like that, who take the challenge of having been sat on the bench by Jesse Marsh in the first game and then comes on as a starter versus the seven scores and then as a story yesterday and really plays his part. Those two were flying, And you know, kudos to Kyle Laren because he could have salked when he wasn't chosen to start. He could have you know, moped about, and he took the opposite tacked and looked to get involved right away and he's been excellent since he got us a chance against Bosnia.
Speaker 4: What about Jonathan David, You know, he hasn't scored a ten in the last probably ten months, and then he breaks wide open with a hat trick that was good to see.
Speaker 11: And two things from Jonathan as well the three goals obviously, but you knew that he was going to be in good form and he was confident. With that initial strike off the volley that he hit early, connected really well, nice and calm too. He didn't try to just tear the leather off it and smash it over. He measured up. His volley keeper made a good save on that, and then on that first cross from Alister to set up the first goal. He hits that volley well too, and then the keeper punches it away and Larrence scores the first goal. But the goal that he took the first one after Tejon cuts inside deflex off a Katari player and he smashed that home with such precision but power as well. So he was in really good form throat the day, some good passes as well, and he was in his happy place, which is the eighteen yard box. You know, oftentimes he'll come back try to get touches on the ball far from the penalty area, but he needs to be that guy getting touches inside the box and he had that opportunity to do it yesterday and score three goals.
Speaker 4: Okay, two part question. Switzerland obviously going to be tough. What he got to do to beat them in If it was you, when would you get Telfonso Davies in the lineup?
Speaker 1: How many minutes? What can we expect from him?
Speaker 11: The one thing that you know, the Guitar Game didn't give Canada was the opportunity to play ninety minutes against the competitive side with eleven men.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's kind.
Speaker 11: Of obviously this Malcony injury is the big black mark on the game, and let's hope that he can recover because you know what an integral player he was and an important part of this team. I think it's a testament to Canada's depth that Nathan Saliva can come in and score a goal and be involved right away. And you've got David Seat which one year as well, and others who I don't want to say we'll fill that void because it's a massive void, but you know that's obviously a black mark on the game. But the other one is that they didn't really get a test for ninety minutes in preparation for the game against Switzerland. But at the same time, it meant that you know they're able to get other players involved in the game. And then the question becomes you obviously, Moys Bombido comes in for forty five minutes, which was excellent. When does Sponsie come out of the field to play, and you didn't want him coming in in that game. I don't think you didn't need him there. You didn't need another hack in the leg that could possibly upset the recovery. So I think it'll be a measured response. He won't start against Switzerland, there's absolutely no chance of that, but I think you could see him late if Canada is desperate to win the group, which I think they. I don't want them to settle for anything outside of a draw, obviously, which would win the group. But I want them to push to win this game as well, and I think they need to be aggressive. I think if they play for a draw, that's the worst thing they could do because then you fall into the fact that Switzerland might control the game. They have creative and good players that can win a match for them. So I hope Canada can be on the front foot right from the start of the next game as well.
Speaker 1: Only that Cone injury obviously very graphic and hard to watch. Have you been in a situation like that at all, where you've had a player go down with an injury like that and you've had to keep playing And how hard is it for those guys to just keep on rolling with the match? Because you saw I think it was a second hydration break, Jesse Marsh getting them all together and kind of saying like, hey, we got to keep this going here despite what just happened.
Speaker 11: You know, truth were right. I don't recall a situation where I had someone who had such a bad injury in the game. But just to talk to the point yesterday, being in the stadium on the far side, I didn't see the challenge. I don't think many people did. Live it was such kind of a freak challenge. But I saw Stephani Stachio wildly waving at the bench like someone's got to come on, and I knew immediately then it was bad. And then I saw, you know, the ankle or the leg cony going the way it should not be going, and that was a sad moment. You saw the reaction from Luke defusral Max cray Poe of course, who went through that same type of a situation where he broke his leg in the Cup final a few years back, and I think the players were really shooken by it. It was so good to see him going off on the stretcher and waving and upright. I couldn't belie that. I don't know if he was in a state of shock or what it was, but I think that helped the players realize, Okay, yes he's gone and gone for the tournament, absolutely, but we can carry on here and try to do this for them. For him. So I think that was tremendous of them that they were able to do that and then Mois bomb Beato able to visit him at the hospital. So you know, you wish the very best for Ismael Cone. That, as I said, was a black mark in the game. But you hope that this maybe is something that is a galvanizing effect on this Canadian team that will want to do something and something special for us Malcone.
Speaker 1: It was a special day yesterday, Paul. I mean the scenes around here were just just incredible, incredible stuff. We'll continue to chat with you as our correspondent for the World Cup as the tournament rolls along. Thanks Doty, looking forward to you guys, Take care, appreciate it. Paul Dolan from Apple TV joining us And yeah, just it was a weird match, Rick because they went up six are they win by six? But he had that graphic injured and you got the two teams jawing at each other. It's just a bit of a strange match. But they got the job done. They're in the driver's seat now. To win the group Canada is absolutely that's all that matters.
Speaker 4: And so we've been saying all this Canadian swag, jerseys, scarves.
Speaker 1: We saw it yesterday out in full force. And there's one place you can get all of that World Cup gear. That's our friends at Pastime Sports. I was trying to lead as far as I could for you to grab that recon. I grabbed it.
Speaker 4: The world has arrived in Vancouver in pastime sports and games has got you covered when it comes to jerseys, scarves and other collectibles celebrating the beautiful game. Never been a bigger time to show off your team colors. Led by Canada as the host country. You may also want to honor your favorites in Europe, South America, Asia or Africa. For more information and scrore locations, visit pastime sparts Dots.
Speaker 1: Runting the laptop quickly. We've got the Christine Sinclair card. We saw her yesterday, she was at the match. That's one of those World Cup scarves on the far right and in the middle here I put up the Christian Polistic team USA pop Figurine. Polistic's been ruled out of today's match for the USA against Australia coming up at noon in Seattle, so it's going to be a madhouse in Seattle for that match. But no Polisic in it up next outside of my mom, I don't know anybody that loves Christmas more than you. You're gonna like this story I have in DTMZ. It's Donny Dolly the team on check.
Speaker 3: Remember that dead electric leaf blower in the garage, still hoping it'll come.
Speaker 1: Back to life.
Speaker 4: OPEICE is BC's recycling program for battery powered and electric outdoor power equipment.
Speaker 3: Just like other electronics, electric lawn and garden equipment can also be recycled when it reaches the end of its useful life.
Speaker 4: All electric yard tools don't have to end up in the landfill. If you're an electric outdoor power equipment can't be fixed, it could be recycled.
Speaker 3: Whether it's a leaf blower, trimmer, or lawnmower, many can be recycled for free in BC. Visit opeic dot ca to find a depot near you and recycle it responsibly.
Speaker 1: That's ope I see dot CA.
Speaker 4: It's eleven thirty one on a Friday morning. Donnie Daglio on CHECKTV. Now time for DTMZ, brought to you by the world famous Whistler Golf Club.
Speaker 1: Go see Big l out there. Great track, great track, DTMZ brought to you by the Arnold Palmer designed Whistler Golf Club. Phase three of their golf course renovation is on now. The golf course is going to reopen for play in the summer at twenty twenty seven, but catch the latest updates on their Instagram at Whistler Golf and don't forget pro shop and driving range are open all summer long and should be noted new greens are being built during this phase of the renovation. New irrigation is getting fired up and they're preparing for sotting. So lot's happening at the Whistler Golf Club. Okay, Rick, I tease this, You're gonna You're gonna be here like this. You're gonna like this. According to the Hollywood Reporter, Rick Jim Carrey is in talks to reprise his role as the Cloud Doctor, Sue's character The Grinch. Wo Ron Howard returning to direct, and he will produce alongside Brian Grazer, the three of them involved in the original Grinch, which came out in two thousand. How about this, Rick, It's a massive hit on streaming. It's been among the Nielsen's top ten most streamed holiday movies in each of the past five years. Last year, two weeks ahead of Christmas, it peaked at number two overall on the Movies chart, with nine hundred and sixty two million minutes viewed, just below Home Alone. Home Alone. Home Alone was the most watched film ahead of Christmas last year. But the Grinch sequel, I don't know how I feel about this. I'm not a heap big sequel person. We're doing a lot of these sequels lately, especially sequels long after the original. I don't like it.
Speaker 4: I don't know why you don't. First of all, we haven't seen a Jim carry movie in years.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I feel he retires like every after the end of every movie, Like.
Speaker 1: When is the last Jim Carrey movie? I remember?
Speaker 4: And his best Christmas movie, you guys, is called The Christmas Carol.
Speaker 6: Stop it. That's the better than The Grinch.
Speaker 1: Have you seen The Christmas Carol? No?
Speaker 4: Don't, Okay, stop then Stop is the animated one. It's animated, but he is phenomenal in it. It's a great movie, The Christmas Carol. Watch it not?
Speaker 1: Sorry, dude, he's not. It's not better than The Grinch.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 6: I agree with Royan on this, there's way everything is getting a sequel. Shrek Five's coming out. Yeah, like, yeah, that's unnecessary. This, this is just nobody can come up with.
Speaker 1: You start now.
Speaker 4: Back in the eighties, police Academy people people my age will remember, went up to Police Academy six.
Speaker 1: I heard there's a Police Academy seven coming.
Speaker 6: Okay, this is different. When there's like a twenty year gap in between it, it's just a money grap So obviously that's why I don't stand it.
Speaker 1: That was like dumb and dumber, right, the second one, the.
Speaker 4: Second dud dumb and dumber, the second one or the third one.
Speaker 1: They didn't do the third.
Speaker 6: One, no, no, but they did the second one after about like twenty years. Happy Gilmore, Happy Gilmore. And the second one was terrible, awful, awful.
Speaker 4: But that was on Netflix, it was in the theaters.
Speaker 1: Now it's still a reman, it's still I get you don't need it, I get it, Okay. Birthdays I'm trying. I'm battling here. I gotta tickle my throat. It's just bugging me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good hacking on the air, all right. Birthdays brought to you by Donnie Dall. These backscratchers and dental Philosiphorium and ball Zach Alberta. This guy was drafted high in the Western Hockey League Battam draft. This player said no to the dub and he went the NCAA route.
Speaker 1: Played at Boston University.
Speaker 4: During his sophomore season at BU, selected for the Hockey East second All Star team. Selected as an assistant captain for Canada at the twenty eighteen World Juniors, where he helped them to a gold medal. Made his NHL debut for Nashville in twenty nineteen. He would play for Nashville for seven years. Dante Fabre Dante Fabre quinn BWC and I was with Columbus. I watched him at BWC. Him and Matt Barzel. They played on the same team. Okay, here we go. This guy was a high pick in the twenty fourteen NHL draft. Played on the same pee wee team at the Quebec Pewee Tournament as Connor McDavid in twenty twelve, ninth overall pick by Kingston in the OHL draft. Played on the gold medal winning Canadian team at the twenty thirteen nive In. Alinka scored his first NHL goal for the Flames against Eddie Lack and the Caducks in twenty fifteen, would play against the Canucks in the twenty fifteen NHL Playoffs. Would never live up to his billing fourth overall in Calgary, so they.
Speaker 1: Moved him to Florida.
Speaker 4: Sam Bennett, Sam Bennett, I knew as Yes, I said, Florida, you're gonna get it. You're gonna get con Smith winner, two time champion. Okay, this actor, I'm telling you, a good actor, one of my favorites. This This is how you start every time. If it's a good actor in my favorite I'm gonna say it. This actor has won of time, time, Emmy Award, a Golden Globe, and a Screen Actor's Guild Award. Vanity Fair called him amongst our best actors all time. He starred in the movie Revenge of the Nerds. I hate to go back to the eighties Revenge of the Nerds. It was a massive tess. He just passed.
Speaker 1: He was the dad and Lizzie Maguire too. No, yeah, you're you're way off base. You got the wrong guy.
Speaker 4: He had a long history of appearances on late night comedy shows. First ever guest on Conan O'Brien. He hosted Saturday Night Live thirteen times. He worked with Steven Spielberg at Always nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 1: He was the voiceover in Duncan Donuts commercials. Sure there was an a Vancouver media member. Why you laugh.
Speaker 4: No, they're usually they're eating them, not voiceovering him. But listen why Dunkin Donuts he was the voice.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He played the ghost of.
Speaker 4: Christmas Present in a Christmas Carol, which I just talked about with Jim Carrey.
Speaker 1: He was in that as well.
Speaker 4: He was in the movie The Big Lakowski Labowski Lebowski, Big Lebowski, John Goodman, John Goodman, got It, got It, Got It, John Goodman. But of course he was famous for Dan O'Connor on Roseanne.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I never watched Roseanne. By the way, when you should start in Revenge of the Nerds, I'm thinking about the number one actor in Revenge of the Nerds. No, Revenge of the Nerds was a great movie. It's not bad. It was great back. How would you know, I've actually seen it was in the eighties. Robert Karda Kerodine, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Robert Kerodine, kung Fu. He just passed the grasshopper guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Anyways, this singer actually one of my favorites. Uh, rose to fame in the seventies.
Speaker 1: Singer. Yes.
Speaker 4: He wrote and recorded easy Sale On and three Times a Lady. Oh, three Times a Lady. What a great song.
Speaker 1: Three Times a Lady? Okay, hold on it.
Speaker 4: He wrote Lady for Kenny Rogers in nineteen eighty was a massive hit. He wrote Endless Love with Diana Ross. Oh, massive hit. His album Can't Slow Down ten eighty three, massive massive, It was huge. Little Ricky had it. Uh like there was ten hits off it. He's known for slow songs. Ninety million records worldwide. He was a big part of We Are the World. Remember we are the World?
Speaker 1: Richie? Your dad looks ah lonel Archie. How would you get Richie. He was a big part of the Other World. So there was five hundred guys that were a big part of the guy. Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: But his big hit was Dancing on the Ceiling in nineteen eighty six. Oh so good. But he was with the Commodorees. He started the Commodore's Way Back Lionel Richie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's on that.
Speaker 6: I can't I got that he's.
Speaker 4: On the American idol. Right, yeah, yeah, why don't you say that? Look at our text line. Tons of people know Lionel Richie. But are you saying you gonna laugh at Lionel Richie.
Speaker 1: That's fine, it's fine. Have you heard Dancing on the Ceiling? I do think so. Have you heard the motown of the Commodorees. I've heard of the Commons? Yeah yeah, okay you yeah. Another birthday today? You can hit this music, Queen, because the intro is long. An Wilson, lead singer of the rock band Heart, Oh Yeah, God, Heart Yeah, come on just down the I five Seattle. She's turning seventy six years old today and along with her sister Nancy, this song is outstanding. Man Barracuda playing us Out with Barracuda off the nineteen seventy seven album Little Queen, Is It just Me Coming up next? Heart plays us Out.
Speaker 3: Today, three foot hot Dogs, postgame fireworks, Fridday noonters and the future Toronto Blue Jays.
Speaker 1: Right in your backyard.
Speaker 3: Catch a Vancouver Canadians game this summer as they celebrate seventy five years at nap Bailey Stadium for tickets, promotions and more, information.
Speaker 1: Visit canadians Baseball.
Speaker 3: Dot com or call six oh four eight seven to two five two three two today.
Speaker 1: Time now for Is It just Me?
Speaker 4: Brought to you by our friends at op e i C Outdoor Power.
Speaker 1: Equipment Institute of Canada. Did you know you can recycle electric a lawn and garden equipment for free. O p e i C operates a province wide network of recycling depots to ensure old electric outdoor power equipment gets collected and recycled responsibly. Visit O p e i C dot ca A to get more info before we get fully into is it just Me? We've got to clear something up. Yeah, I know, because you messed up the movies. So it's who is David Carrodine's birthday today? Right, David? And Revenge of the Nerds.
Speaker 4: Yeah no, there's no, no, no, no, you meant how did we get onto the Carrodines?
Speaker 1: Oh no, John Goodman, that's what? Oh John John Goodman's birthday today? And you mentioned Revenge of the Revenge of the Nerds.
Speaker 4: Revenge of the Nerds, yes, which I've been told to quit using the cheech and chong.
Speaker 1: Because I mentioned Robert Carodeen. And then you said, kung Fu.
Speaker 4: David Carrodine is kung Fu and kill Bill. So the guy in the right is Revenge of the Nerds in nineteen eighty four, big hit. Yes for those of us in the eighties we'll remember. And the guy on the left is David Carodine, who was in a show called kung Fu way back, I think in the seventies, and he'd always kung Fu was a great show, and he'd always say hey, Grasshopper to his the guy that you know he looked up to. But anyways, whatever, so I want to clear that up. Good job here at Quinn. So the guy in the right is David Carodine Revenge of the Nerds. The guy on the left is kung Fu guy and in kill Bill too.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, now that's cleared up. Okay, this is from West End Dave? Is it just me or the black uniforms not any worse than the ugly shirt you're wearing today, dollywall Ah, who's that? This is west End Dave coming at you for your shirt today.
Speaker 4: I got good Hawaiian This is actually one of his.
Speaker 1: Okay Hawaiian shirts, I'd be honest. What's Dave? Thing is that west End, Dave, west End, Dave, Come on, Dave, And there's the black jersey Canada war yesterday. How does this?
Speaker 4: Okay, I don't want to get on it again. This does not scream Canada. When you look at this, it doesn't.
Speaker 6: Know a red jersey Canadian logo on the chest doesn't fine a Canadian logo.
Speaker 4: You can barely see barely. Can you honestly tell.
Speaker 1: Me you can?
Speaker 4: I I say, okay, if I from ten feet away, can you tell that's the Canadian logo?
Speaker 1: Yes? Stop it.
Speaker 6: It says Canada.
Speaker 4: Give me a red the red flag, a red any hockey jersey and red.
Speaker 6: Is If I saw that and I someone asked me which country is this in the World Cup, I would immediately see like.
Speaker 4: Somebody spilled paint on it. That's what it looks like. You can't see Canada. It doesn't wreako.
Speaker 1: Well, there's other things people are bringing up. Yeah, I'm not gonna get it on the jersey. Okay, look, get off the jerseys.
Speaker 4: Why don't the Canucks hire one of those surgeons last night that went to the hospital to help Demko get one hundred percent healthy Glennon to wash it.
Speaker 1: It's not bad glennon if you missed it week from James Duty Earlier today, Jesse Marsh saying that three top surgeons at Vancouver General Hospital were watching the match last night, rushed to Vancouver General Hospital and prefer performed the surgery on Ismail Cone and his broken legs. So impressive stuff? Is it just me?
Speaker 6: Does Rick still think that Curtis Douglas is a bigger star than the World Cup?
Speaker 4: That's who. That's from tam Beer, the idiot.
Speaker 1: Don't be Quinn, Quinn, Quinn.
Speaker 4: Rule number one on this show, do not readtext from Tambier.
Speaker 1: He's that's a great submission in this show. Curtis Douglas.
Speaker 4: One week before the World Cup, Donnie asked, you know, is there a is there a fever pitch? No, there wasn't a fever pitch. I had more people DM me about Curtis Douglas than the World Cup. Give me a break. That was a week before.
Speaker 6: If Curtis Douglas resigned, the amphitheater would be full of Curtis.
Speaker 1: Stop with the Curtis Douglas stuff. Stop.
Speaker 4: I missed a call from Curtis douglas agent this morning when I was on with Bruff and rough.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to reconnect with them. Okay, you got one? No, oh, okay, I've got one here. This is good one. Braiden in Abbitsford. Is it just me? Or do you see what happens when Canada doesn't play in Toronto? They don't choke like the maple leafs way better, better atmosphere in stadium and lots of BC boys. Braidon from Abbitsford talking about the difference between Canada's performed yesterday and the one they had in Toronto.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, absolutely, but they're also facing a much weaker Yeah, I mean the I mean they were up three to nothing at the half. I mean, I mean it's a much weaker team. Okay, look at this, Luke from wass Our, good pal Rick, I'm with you all the way. The black is awful. There's no black in the Canadian flag. It's red and white, and therefore the jersey should be red one one white with an outline of the maple leaf along.
Speaker 1: The front of the opposite color. That would look sharp.
Speaker 4: Luke and wass from was good guy, good pal of ours, good guy, good text.
Speaker 1: This is unsigned? Or did this is second mayple leafs one? Or did the Maple Leafs completely overpay for Darren Radish this morning. If you missed it, news this morning, Leafs sign and trade with the Tampa Bay Lightning, arguably the number one UFA. Ricky, you would.
Speaker 4: Say, look, the two things happened here this morning. First of all, starting on September fifteen, you can't do eight year deals. So what the Toronto Maple Leafs did is they got the AVV down by getting the eighth year. They were able to do an eighth year starting on September fifteenth. Hockey players are not allowed to do eight year deals. That got the number down. If this guy would have went to July first and you could only do seven years, it would have been close to ten million. It would have been close to ten million. The Maple Leafs actually did something very smart here. They made the trade, got the AVV down by giving the eighth year.
Speaker 1: Very smart.
Speaker 6: By that is it smart? He's fight, He's gonna be there until he's thirty.
Speaker 4: So Chris tannims there till thirty nine. You know, the Columbus is just a different kind of player. Columbus just signed a center. Okay, thirty four years old till six years till he's forty. I'm sorry, but this is what's happening.
Speaker 1: I know, but it's risky because he's coming off a career year and by the way, he made up until today Rick two point nine million dollars in his career. He's a late bloomer in his career, a late bloomer.
Speaker 4: And he he scored twenty goals or twenty two to seventy points.
Speaker 1: He went from one point nine million to eight point five and Tampa that leaned on him heavily as well. Uh okay, just quickly, last one, very quickly. The World Cup has put us This is from Sergeants Spandex. The World Cup has put a huge spotlight on just how strong the soccer culture is a Vancouver From a white Caps fan and community perspective, moving the team seems difficult to justify. Couldn't agree more upnext final segment of the week, Donny no team on check.
Speaker 12: The BC Construction Safety Alliance is a not for profit association that makes safety simpler by providing health and safety services and programs to more than fifty seven thousand construction employers and two hundred and twenty thousand workers across the province. We want to bring the bc csa safety message directly to your job site. Book a free visit from the BCCSA Safety on Tour Mobile Trailer Safety on Tours instructor guides your workers through a series of dynamic safety demonstrations, from the effectiveness of fall arrest systems to the power of proper head protection. At now to book a memorable Safety on Tour experience at Safety Ontour dot Ca.
Speaker 1: So, unfortunately, due to our technical issues, we can't show Patrick Hernandez today play it, so we just have to hop and bop to the music on its own. But we're doing it regardless because it's our final segment of the week and we usually play Patrick Hernandez. There we go. It's the back of his head um. Time now to touch on the Watling Dog poll question for the final time during the live show Catch the World Cup at the Wadling Dog with Canada Games shown live and loud on all twenty two TVs with full sound. Come sit and stay at the Dog today, Rick Quinn get her up the Waddling Dog.
Speaker 4: Pop pople question what event had the better atmosphere in Vancouver The twenty ten Olympics leading at seventy percent to thirty percent twenty twenty six World Cup.
Speaker 1: There you go. Okay, a couple of birthdays. First of all, it's my wife's birthday. Oh, so happy birthday to my wife, Kessie, mom of course to our two sons now Max and Ben, so happy birthday to her absolutely. And also a birthday here from Pete. We got this one from Adelaide. Her name it's sorry, it's his wife's birthday today. Could you please give her a big shout out? And her name is Felista. I hope, I, I hope I have that correct that. I'm saying that from lovely Adelaide down under, oh in Australia, So there you go out Under. I love it. That's from Pete. He sent that to us. So happy birthday to your wife, Pete, and thank you for tuning into the show. We appreciate it. We got some photos all right, Quinn. Where we're going? Is there water? What are we looking at? This one?
Speaker 4: Downtown taking in the sights and sounds for Team Canada. Wrapping my donning Dolly shirt on Granville.
Speaker 1: Look at that.
Speaker 4: You guys should have a red shirt so I could have pled to in market soth Surrey.
Speaker 1: Look at this. Look at this.
Speaker 4: We're looking like a million bucks mark and so Surrey on Granville Street, by the way, last night was hopping.
Speaker 1: Did you see the videos last night? The videos the videos are of Granville have just been nuts. The car free helps in a big way.
Speaker 6: It looks like a different city.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 6: You're right, night and day.
Speaker 1: You're right, it is.
Speaker 4: Okay, so we're going overseas. Now I see water. I see water for what the next picture? I see water right there?
Speaker 1: Look at that.
Speaker 4: So having a short vacation and used to let taffino folet. Okay, fine at to fino, but cat miss the best show on TV. Steve from Crofton, look at this?
Speaker 1: Thanks you so much. I look at the view.
Speaker 4: Look at look at so Steve from Crofton's got a million dollar and he's listening to a bunch of Yeah.
Speaker 1: I gotta be honest. I'm closing that laptop quickly if I had a view like that and I was on a getaway. But we appreciate it regardless. Steve from Crofton, million dollar view right there?
Speaker 4: Look at that beautiful looking great?
Speaker 1: Thanks pal, Yeah, absolutely absolutely. Uh this is Mikey Vancouver one last is it just me? Quickly here. Whoever set up the weather for FIFA totally nailed it.
Speaker 4: Give them a raise. A little bit warm for me. I don't know he's so hot.
Speaker 1: I'm more a cool weather guy than a warm weather guy. Trust me what my wife knows.
Speaker 4: Because I complained, bitch about the hot heat.
Speaker 1: This is tank I'm getting the tank top on when I get home. Well, you got a big weekend too, you got things to do. You're bitching about the weather.
Speaker 4: Too hot, too hot. Give me the rain any day, which I know you don't approve of. Thanks for tuning in everyone.
Speaker 1: Congratulations again to Canada massive six nothing win yesterday. We'll be back on Monday, and Monday kicks off Draft week one week. Today is the NHL Draft cut out third overall course at that, good luck to the Lions today and Hamilton as well. We'll be back on Monday. I'm Ryan Henderson, lung Rick, Dollywall, Donnie Dolly, the team I check.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dolly for all the latest show content.