Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property. And for this week of June thirtieth, we're continuing with Lost, Season three, episode five, the Cost of Living. And there's a lot going on in this thing. Mm hmmm, the least interesting of it being Hey, did you know that Echo had all these experiences so we've heard about already before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one last hurrah for mister Echo.
Speaker 1: I guess that's right. I always thought that Echo got killed off because there was some that the actor had gotten some tickets and DUIs and was a problem. That is not the case this actor, whose name I am not going to say because.
Speaker 2: It's too hard.
Speaker 1: This particular actor just did not like living in Hawaii and wanted to go home to England, I believe, and asked to be written out. So the smoke monster works in mysterious ways.
Speaker 2: Give it and take it away.
Speaker 1: Oh, we got to get rid of this character. What are we gonna do? Is he gonna get off the island? Are the others gonna shoot him? I know, We'll just have a big thing of smoke, pick him up and dash him to the ground. And he's done. So, but first let's go over his backstory one more time, shall we.
Speaker 2: So it really does always take me by surprise though when somebody dies. I mean there's always like peril, right, and and it's like, oh, it does not good. But then when it actually happens, I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, oh what, Yeah?
Speaker 2: Did they mean to do that?
Speaker 1: Do they need to kill Boone?
Speaker 2: Did they need to kill Shannon?
Speaker 1: Did they need to kill Libby?
Speaker 2: And I want to see it? Like what?
Speaker 1: Oh I need.
Speaker 2: To I need to be a little less Yeah, interesting, I.
Speaker 1: Guess anybody can die, although not certain people. Yeah, but if if if you were, say, I don't know, a couple that comes out of nowhere and is suddenly very central to the action, I would be on day with your agent. I'm not getting into attached to the tattoo. They do kind of have cannon fodder written on their backs.
Speaker 2: Well when when Paolo just like, oh look the toilet flushes, like okay, guy, you know your comic relief at this point.
Speaker 1: Honestly, though, if you had been on this island for however many days, I know, doing it in a hole in the ground you saw a toilet, would you not immediately going, yes, get me in there. Yes, it was comic relief. But didn't we all feel libit like yeah, yeah, Oh, there's all these screens and all this mysterious stuff and toilet toilet that hasn't been cleaned for I know knows how long, but still better than a log and a piece of moss. So they just were very egregiously centralized in this episode. And and you know subtext of we've been reading all the forums and the blog posts when they're like Nikki says to Polo, you're always talking about why you don't get to go along, you know, now we get to.
Speaker 3: Go along, and uh, okay, right, Yes, they needed to use some of Kate's wardrobe because she's just stuck in a cage somewhere.
Speaker 1: So yeah, come on over here, you can wear the short shirts now. But yeah, that's that is kind of silly. But you know, they got a trip to Hawaii. So meanwhile, over on other island, yes, mind games galore. They just live for the mind games. There there were there were X rays all over the place of Ben's spinal tumor. But he's surprised that Juliet told him, right who decorated this the room anyway? Because obviously anyway, and then Ben is trying to put doubt in Jack's mind about Juliet, and juliett is trying to put doubt in Jack's mind about Ben. And it's all just such fun. They're just having themselves a good time, and don't what did they what did they do under a normal day when they don't have hostages?
Speaker 2: They move these rocks from point A to point.
Speaker 1: Have the tuckmore parties all been canceled?
Speaker 2: That's right. They had a book club.
Speaker 1: The book club not active because we have mind games to play. It's mind games time, and.
Speaker 2: We have captives. We have to earn a ritual funeral that takes up some time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, weird ritual funeral.
Speaker 2: We're gonna shift you out to see.
Speaker 1: They're just they're just having so much fun with Jack. He's such a square jot, serious dude, and they're just they might just laugh and laugh, but who knows what exactly is going on. Although if you did have a spinal tumor and a spinal surgeon fell out at the sky, I can see how you would like do everything Ben is done.
Speaker 2: But also like just why does he Why does Ben go through this whole thing of like I want you to want to do it? Like who cares? Just make him do it?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's like he think he won't he won't do it, right if he's being forced at gunpoint to do it.
Speaker 1: I mean Ben enjoys mess it with people. Yes, And I honestly do not remember this whole plot at all. I don't remember what the deal is exactly. But yeah, it's like, is Juliet for real? Or did Ben figure that the best way to get Jack to do the surgery is to make him do a hate surgery. Yeah, and then he would be too square jot an individual to actually kill somebody on the operating So the whole there's just so many possibilities whirling around, Yes, and they're just going to try all of them at see which one. Yes, I imagine that Kate and Sawyer are there for leverage, right, although I don't know that Jack is going to do anything to save Sawyer. But yeah, he would because he's the hero guy. But yeah, just I'm imagining them sitting in a room somewhere, maybe after book club, planning how to mess with Jack. How about if you do this, you go say this, and then you I'll go say that, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, the number of steps involved in this plant. It couldn't have just been like, hey, guys, I see you crash your plane. Here, let me tell you how you can service. Like, no, we're gonna do all this.
Speaker 1: That's true. They have a lot of hours of television to Phil Catherine, I cannot be overstated how many hours of television they have to fill in and how negatively that impacts the plot. But yes, you would think they would send an emissary over a cent well, but see, how do they even know he's a spinal surgeon. How do they have this information? They would have to explain that. They can't just stop it and say, excuse me, anyone here happened to have particular specialty we have. I know you're not gonna believe this. We have a whole hospital set up here. If somebody could just come and we'll give you some cants. Juliette will bake you so much, that's right, that's right. Can't be sure if I'll be burnt, but we'll use whatever technology we have here to help you out. But they enjoy messing well, Ben enjoys messing with people, for sure. We don't know about the rest of them. But I'm kind of thinking Juliet might enjoy messing with people also.
Speaker 2: So so Juliet comes up with this whole you know, love actually plan to communicate with Jack via videotape written signs. I'm sorry, but when did she film this? And how like she has a cam quarter somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is why I don't think we can take it at face value. How exactly is she doing this? This seems like a whole group endeavor, but h yeah, they're they're really bored over there. Instead of just being forthright, let's go through all this rigmarole.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I feel like if all they said to Jack was like, do this surgery and we'll let you and Kate and so I go, he'd be like, yep, scrub me.
Speaker 1: In exactly, or alternatively, do this surgery or will kill them. But just like that, they have to play a variety of mind games instead of just directly asking for what they want. They are super bored over there on other islands. It's just another day in the jungle, you know, let's have us some fun before we you know, if he actually does have a tumor, I don't even remember if that was the case. So I think we have to allow for the possibility that it's all just this is true, It's all just the yank and Jack's chain for no reason whatsoever. It's weird that I just completely don't remember it. But I remember mister Ecco meeting his demise. I remember Nikki and Pallo being ridiculous. I don't remember the whole tumor thing, but there was a lot of plot. You know, brains can only hold some us right, right, oh my?
Speaker 2: Just like as a parent, you know, be straightforward, because if you have to keep track of an incredibly elaborate system of eyes or fantasies.
Speaker 1: It's not gonna go like just be yeah, absolutely, that's a trap. A lot of parents get in. It's building an elaborate structure around there. They try playing my games with the kids, in other words, and then you have to remember all the things you've done and follow through on them. And that's not gonna happen. Come on, just just say clean your room or your teddy bear gets it? And you know, see how well they do easy, easy, right, putting teddy in a submarine and sending it off who knows where?
Speaker 2: I mean, I definitely get the like, let's make them think it's their idea. I guess that Ben is, you know, saying that that's what he was trying to do with Jack. I do think that can be effective with children and partner, but perhaps not necessary in this situation.
Speaker 1: It's that you just need to watch the amount of infrastructure that goes into that. You can do it easily quickly, that's great. If it involves several months of laying the groundwork, then probably it's not worth the trouble, or it's about something other than getting your way it's about just that you just like playing people, and it is fun to play your kids sometimes, you know, but remember you are Ben when you do those things, right, Ben, it's not a good guy. Ben is very bored. Yeah, but he's not good.
Speaker 2: He came up at the library that I was watching this show.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, and one.
Speaker 2: Of my coworkers is like, you know, where are you? Like where what episode? And this was a little while ago. This was we were toward the end of season tenn and and she was like, have you met wait, have you met Ben? Ben's my favorite character.
Speaker 1: I was kind of that way to which episode does Ben start? When it's been right?
Speaker 2: And now that I know, then I'm like, oh, well, interesting.
Speaker 1: That's your favorite character. You're right, We're gonna have a lot of time with them.
Speaker 2: So what you're telling me is he's not going to die.
Speaker 1: That you can when you when you have a character that people feel that way about, you're he's not going to die on an operating table. So I don't think you need to worry about that. But just a really great performance by Michael Emerson. Yeah, and just giving that guy he could say anything at any time, do anything at any time, and you would go, Yep, that's that guy. Yeah, but let's see what other parenting tips can we get from this?
Speaker 2: Well, when Locke is like, sure anybody can go, I think the skeptical out.
Speaker 1: Of like, you know, nobody was invited.
Speaker 2: Nobody was invited. It was very controlled for a very long time, and then all of a sudden like free for all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. If there's somebody who's always been in charge, an alpha person who's always been in charge, and then that person is not available and somebody else steps in, it's always going to be kind of a mess, and you don't want to be that person, right. It's like everybody can hate the head of the PTA, but nobody's gonna want to step up and take that job.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It's it's like the joy of hating the person who does it doesn't necessarily mean that you want to be to it. Yeah, so be careful. Talk behind her back, but don't tick her off so she quits exactly.
Speaker 2: Don't let her get kidnapped by some weirdos. That's your separate island.
Speaker 1: And it's like, I mean maybe with mom and dad, it's dad mate say things about how Mom does stuff, but he doesn't necessarily really want to do it himself, so you have to be careful and uh, you know, do you really want the other parent to be in charge of this? All?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And I think most moms also, I don't know, I get that feeling like I don't want to do this, but I don't trust anybody else to do this. Yeah, I guess I'm doing this, Yeah for sure, But y'all can show a little appreciation when Jack comes back. I hope they all say, hey, man, we're sorry if we weren't appropriately respectful before you go away. And these nobody's come in and start doing stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all of a sudden, Paolo's in charge. What who are you?
Speaker 1: He's just so blatantly these two guys. Let's see how anything else parenting wise. Oh, this was a all of these flashbacks. I guess this all of them show how bad things that happened to you in childhood always come full adulthood, which I think his parents we often hope is not the case. You know, we that's the only way we can survive is by assuming that's not the case. Yeah, this was bad, but you'll forget this. This will just be all in the background. This isn't gonna this isn't gonna come back to haunt you on an island. A smoke monster isn't going to reenact this scene with you. It's gonna be fine. And I am going to clutch onto that as hard as I can, because there's nothing you can do about those bass splashbacks unless you're maybe does when and can go back in time and fix things. But he was quiet this week. Yeah, we didn't really get he was off somewhere communing with the future.
Speaker 2: He did not end. He was not interest in revisiting the flush toilet and everyone else is so excited.
Speaker 1: About that's right. Maybe he can see that one day something bad is going to happen in that room. Could be do they have any magazines in there or anything? Bones raid Sawyer's stash of reading material and puts on there. You go, Oh well, another day on the island, another goodbye to a cast member, another round of mind games, and that is Lost. Next Tuesday will continue with season three, episode six of Lost. I do It's another Kate episode. Did you hear she's a future It's quite a lot of decisions in her life. No, they're afraid. We haven't quite got it any So she's heard that Nikki is wearing her clothes and she is tagged oh boy. When she gets back there, there's gonna be a girl fight if indeed Nikki is still alive. Okay, we will see you back here tomorrow to discuss Foster. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com slash shop slash mamitude but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.