Speaker 1: Astro six to four losers yesterday to the Marlins in Miami. Off today, Yankees coming up tomorrow to start a three game weekend series. There are only two games up now on the Mariners in the West, so the Astro is trying to hold on to this lead. Chris Gordy again, Carbock Brewing joins us every single week. Curtsey of Carbock Brewing in the studio with us, and you know, Cam Smith was somebody else we talked about a little bit earlier. And a couple of good hard hit balls yesterday, some hits in the Miami series. But overall, though, Gordy, I mean, you know, you get to that situation, was the bases loaded in the eighth inning yesterday, was there a part of you that was kind of like, Joe, go to the bench here, like this is not going to end well.
Speaker 2: No, because he had he had made good contact. He had that one that I thought was going to get out. But you know, then it was like, Okay, it's not going to get out, but this is clearly gonna be a double and the freaking center fielder runs it down, makes an incredible play. So just baseball, Sometimes those things happened. If he was. If he looked absolutely clueless up there at the play, then yeah, i'd say sit him down for a couple of days. But he had some heart ht contact. It's just you got to keep fighting through it, man, It's just it's the growing pains of being a rookie up here. And I'll tell you man, I mean, so the first day, I'm at Fenway and we're waiting for the Astro's clubhouse to open, and we're standing outside. Chaz Or Korwick is hanging out, We're talking with him, and out comes a group of the guys, the young guys, Colton, Gordon and I think it was Jason, Alexander, a few of them. They were going out to sign the Monster. The Monster, you know, all the rookies always do well. They this whole group of them. They go and they walk off. Well a few minutes later, Cam Smith comes out of the clubhouse and Channel i think it was Channel of Room goes, hey, you're not going to sign the Monster. He goes, oh, no, they are they going to do that. No, we have a we have a team meeting in ten minutes. I can't be late for that. And it's just you see that that honest. You know, he's like a kid and and you love it. You love that from him because he really is like, oh no, I can't be late for that meeting, Like coach is going to be madly you know. It's like that kind of thing. So you just there's a little naivety naivity to it. But it makes you just realize how young he is and just he's still growing. I think he's going to be awesome. He's just got to battle through.
Speaker 3: This, okay, and that and in answering what Dan had asked, you let me push that even forward more and battle through it as a way. I'm I'm a big believer, and I understand at times you got to send a guy down or get him other work. But I'm a big believer. I've seen enough to know that he can handle the good and the bad. I'm and I told Dan's I'm under the belief and under the if I'm managing him or the general manager, which I'm not, I'm making him play through this. Now. You may sit him down for a game, depending on matchups and stuff, and I don't think you have to make him. I think he will embrace it. But I think we've gotten to the point now that the best thing that may will that may end up happening to him in his career because he's mentally tough enough to handle it. I think is going through this at some point in your career. You're going through it all the time. I see it with young quarterbacks. Some are overwhelmed, but some like you get kicked in the teeth. We've talked about Aikman, We've talked about guys and they respond, I gotta find out. And my answer I think is gonna. It's gonna come out on the side of wise move.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: You may not hit him in the top of the order. You're not gonna lead him off until he gets going. He's still above two fifteen. He's still got gold glove potential right field for a guy who's new at the position, Gordy, don't you let him fight through it and just you may have to substitute at times for him, but he's not going down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if it gets really bad, I'd say, to the point where he's losing confidence, it's in an for thirty slump where he's got you know, fifteen strikeouts and it's just it's really bad, then you go, all right, we got to say.
Speaker 3: It, and I can say, do you want to go down and get some bats there and get it back and almost to the point where you're not I'm not player empowerment where you're deciding as a rookie. But I do think that you got to find out about that, and you knew there was going to be you know, peaks and valleys throughout the season.
Speaker 2: Right, Sure, it's every every rookie has these moments. It's just you know, he wowed us so much. She was so red hot in spring training and that's what helped him earn the earn the spot. And then even first month or two of the season he comes out, You're like, Wow, this kid's not playing like a rookie.
Speaker 3: Kid's probably why we're more critical because he made it look too.
Speaker 2: Good and now he's and now he's playing like a rookie. Well, what's wrong with him? Well, this is just it's the ebbs and flows. So yeah, like I said, barring an epic collapse where this thing starts to crater, uh, I know, he's only got a couple hits so far in the month of of of August, but yeah, I think he's just gonna he's gonna battle through this. They'll picking and choose. Hey, here's a day to give him off or whatever, and you got some You've got some options, and particularly when Jake Myers gets back, because you've got Hayesu Sanchez, he's gonna play every day, Taylor Trammel, they're playing a ton I mean, so Chaz is getting his reps. So it's gonna be a good problem to have when when Jake does get back. But yeah, it just uh again, I think I think the world of Camsmith. I think he's gonna be awesome. He's just going through a rough patch.
Speaker 1: And that's a conversation we had a couple of days ago. Gordy was, let's just say Jordan's back, Myers is back, Well, then that means a couple of guys need to go off the roster. I mean we're looking at a you know, chance here where when Dana and them have to make that decision that a couple of good players might be dfa'd and have to go play somewhere else.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean I think it's going to come down to do you know, do you like what you've seen out of Tremel or do you stick with Chaz who's been here a while, you know, like it's I think he'd come down to one of those tough decisions. By the way, I had a great conversation with Chas McCormick who told me how Nerve racking trade the deadline day was. He said, it's been like that the last couple of years for him, where he's just he doesn't know what's happening. He's like, he's like, I didn't talk to my agent, so I don't know. He goes, I see, we've traded for Creay, We've traded for Sanchez. He goes, crap, I'm going to either Minnesota or Miami. And he's like, then find out, no, you weren't traded.
Speaker 3: So it is.
Speaker 2: It's it's tough for these ballplayers that, you know, where you're kind of on that line of you're not an everyday player. You could be moved at any given moment. But chatting with him, I said, I said, would you rather be an everyday starter on a bad team or be a platoon guy on a team like this? He goes, dude, I want another ring. He goes, I don't give a damn how much a player. He goes, I want another ring.
Speaker 3: So you're saying Cam Newton wouldn't fit well with that question, right.
Speaker 2: No, Chad is a good dude man, He's easy to root for. He's been around a while. But again, like that's gonna be one that's gonna come, like you mentioned it, when the numbers crunch. I mean, the easy one is if they need to cut ties with Taylor Troumelli, he cut ties with him, but he's been okay for you. If he gets a couple more hits and he gets hot, they might say, all right, well maybe we let Chas go.
Speaker 3: There's always that emotional side that says McCormick's been through some times with us, So I get that. Yeah, And obviously they still think highly enough of him that he didn't get traded, which is a good thing. And I like his attitude of wanting to win. All right, Gordy, I say to you, Lance mccollors, give me your overall thoughts right now.
Speaker 2: I like Dana's pretty I mean, it sounds like he's getting closer to going to make a rehap start and all that. But yeah, I like he didn't really answer your question right yesterday about is he gonna move to the bullpen? But I think that's kind of I think the writing, I think the writings on the wall there, particularly if let's hope Araghetty settles in his next outing and is much better. Javier is literally he's days away from coming back. So when those guys get back here and if they settle into their grooves with Hunter, with Fromber, you know, Cole Gordon's been okay. Like I think, yeah, I think the the the writings on the wall there that Lance there's not a spot for you here, So you know, maybe they do something like they did yesterday where it's like, you know, maybe he's like a piggyback guy comes in out of the bullpen and pitches three four innings whatever. But I don't know, man, I'm I'm optimistic. I hope he's gonna be okay. They're they're saying it was just the blister, and you don't trying to read between the lines. Was it something else? Was that this wasn't that sounds like it was just the blister. So we'll see.
Speaker 3: Do you think we're gonna be seeing that a lot?
Speaker 1: I mean, we got what we got out of Araghetty yesterday, and we'll see what we get next week out of Javi Air. But when you do get Frank back, you do get Garcia back. That there is a little bit of Hey, you guys get us three four, those guys will get us two and then we get it to the.
Speaker 3: Front of times you may only need to get one.
Speaker 2: It's a good problem to have. I mean, keep this in mind, though, guys. There's a lot of seasons still left to go. There's a lot of innings to being to be eaten up. They may choose a time to go. You know, Hunter Brown, we're gonna skip a start for you from her. We're gonna skip a start just to keep them healthy and and uh, you know usage not as.
Speaker 3: It's standing that legal help them make that decision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean that would be great too. So that's the tough part here is you're starting to get into a tight division race where games mean a lot, but health is the most important thing you gotta be. You want I don't care if you're a wildcard team. If you told me right now they're gonna be a wildcard team, but you're gonna be one hundred percent healthy.
Speaker 3: I'll take it.
Speaker 2: I'll take that. So that's that's the balance here, is you want to hang on to home field and and and being you know, win the Al West and all that. But you also want to be careful because you don't want to go in as I don't know the two seed. But Hunter Brown's out, you know, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, Gordy, you know this, and so do you. Dan. A healthy team that is a wild card got me a legitimate chance. A healthy especially with pitching that you can go into somebody else's ballpark and whoop their ass. Pitching will shut up every home crowd, right. But the other side is so true, Gordy, oh man, you're you're not healthy, but you won the division. Your your grounds for elimination pretty quick, especially if it's a couple of key players. Yeah, getting them. I can't wait to see what the picture looks like, Gordy when they are healthy, if they get to full strength this year.
Speaker 2: And it's look, they may not get to one hundred percent, but this thing could. Like I said, if if Arragetty and Javier Settle can get back and settle into their groove, and when you get you're on and Jake Myer's back, just give me those four and you're playing. You're playing with a loaded deck. I mean, not as good as any team.
Speaker 3: Dan, you think about what Gordy just said, and think about what we're all saying, and kudos to him that we are pining for Jake Myers's bat back in the MINU. Who knew now, I honestly, and I mean and most importantly, and he's hitting seventy five points higher than you expected him. He just is. I remember when Steve Sparks came on, he said, listen, if he hits one ninety but plays gold glove citterfield, which he does, I'm in. That's he's hitting one hundred points here.
Speaker 2: The other thing to watch with Correa is is he's been great so far in my opinion, even even some some outs are hard hit.
Speaker 3: He said, smoking it.
Speaker 2: They priming. Taggart said this when I was up at Fenway. He said, get him back with Cintron and the guy and the hitting coaches here. That's an underrated storyline. Like maybe in Minnesota they weren't the best at at telling him. Now he's back with the guys were he was his best. He's back with those voices. Who knows, maybe he starts getting red hot here as an astro again. And and that's another great thing he.
Speaker 1: Lips to God's ears man, hopefully, Gordy. Every week you're brought to us by Carlboch Brewing, and I mean, I know that you're probably pining for a Crawford Boker two and a good weekend for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sick of those New England Ales and all that other crap they have that they're in Boston. They could really use some Crawls.
Speaker 1: What's what's that beer that they used to they Sam Adams, Paul Revere and not actually Sam Adams.
Speaker 2: The Blueberry Ale. It was like, come on, man, I need I need a Crawford Bok. But it's good to be back here in Houston. Astros. We'll be back home on Monday and we'll be back at dyk In and join the Crawford Bok. But how about this Saturday, uh, Carbock Brewing will be hosting an official Astros watch party. You'll have Orbit, you'll have the Shooting Stars, you'll have the World Series trophies. Also a chance for people to win an exclusive and limited Hotpadillo Astros hat. I don't know if you guys saw those pictures that that came out there, but really cool limited edition hats that they're gonna you're gonna have your chance to win. So come on out there and bring the family. Should be a great look. It's not oppressively hot yet, it's hot, but it's gonna be nice. But out there in the the beer garden at Carbock, they got the big fans, they got the uh the covered patio, they got umbrellas. Come on out there this Saturday. Like I said, Carbock Brewing, Astros watch Park Orbit, the Shooting Stars on the World Series trophies and it's Astor's Yankees. You couldn't ask for better. See you guys out there.
Speaker 1: And did you mention pizza the wood fired pizza oven.
Speaker 2: Wow, Pizza and pints of course is right there. You get the restaurant. I love the burgers. I mean, plenty of reason to get out to the car Bock this Saturday, no.
Speaker 3: Doubt about it.
Speaker 1: Chris Gordy Brok thanks every single Tuesday and Thursday with us here on The Sean Salisbury Show. Courtesy of Carbock Brewing