Speaker 1: Thank you, John. Let's let's get this seven o'clock hour started. Shall we hit is seven oh five here at Kentucky and this morning news on news radio eight forty w h as we were expecting a sloppy start to the morning, and to look at as I look at the radar here, it looks like the rain is coming, but it may it may get here a little bit after a lot of folks have uh have got up out of the house and uh on to work. I guess it all depends on how how far you travel. But if you are somebody that travels often using the Kennedy Bridge, just know today that there are there's going to be a lane closure, and it's the left lane and the shoulder that is closed. And this is unfortunately one of the many times that that has happened. We've talked about that throughout the morning. So in the last six years roughly, there have been quite a few closures, and the average amount of time that these lanes are closed twenty or that this work goes on. I guess it sometimes it's not maybe just lane closure, but anytime there's something that that delays your travel because of construction, lane closure, whatever it be, usually the average is twenty nine point three days on average in the last six years when this does happen. So again, nobody wants this, but at least if you're somebody that uses this bridge regularly, it's not something that you've never experienced before, and you probably have some level of a range as far as the amount of time you may need to add to your You know, you needed to leave early because you want to make sure you get there on time. But one thing I can recommend, and this is one of those things that I was gonna say, what another thing of that, because we probably all had moments where you're like, wow, I should have thought of that, And that's really not the right way to describe it, because this is one of those things where whenever it was mentioned to me years ago by John Alden, it was a oh, yeah, he's got common sense. I guess more so than I do, because it never once dawned on me that the GPS that we use often to get us places that we need to go because we don't know the best route, we don't even know where it is. Like I've always nine out of ten times pulled out my ways at UH to get me somewhere where I do not know how to get there. I've never once thought to use GPS to you know, see if there's other quicker alternatives of travel or to other routes because of traffic that's going on, And I now do it often, John, So thank you for recommending to that, recommending that to me many years ago when we worked together on on the sports station. But yeah, it's a game changer. So a lot of you are probably thinking, yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Who wouldn't do that? Well me, I'm the one who just didn't have the h didn't have the the the the common sense to realize that you can easily just put in the GPS before you leave and it'll one give you the quickest route. Maybe there is only one route that you would go because of the amount of time that it takes. But if you put it in GPS and you see, oh wow, there's a there's a semi turned over and it's caused traffic, I'm gonna take away that. Yes, is a lot more miles, but man, it'll get me a lot It'll be it'll get me quicker. Well, you know, it will get me there much quicker. So if you're somebody that woke up this morning and you knew they were eventually gonna have the lank closure and the shoulder closure, and it's going to cause a delay for you. Don't worry. Maybe you can throw it in the GPS and it'll give you a potentially quicker way to get there compared to what you typically would have to sit in.
Speaker 2: Well, and it sometimes ease my anxiety too, Nick, And that is when I get in the car. We were talking earlier about traffic not moving, and I would get very anxious if I didn't think I was gonna make it to my place on time. But what the GPS does now, and it's pretty accurate. Sometimes it's off, but it'll give me my estimated time of arrival. So I go, oh, well, yeah, I'm sitting in traffic, but I'm gonna be there two three minutes later.
Speaker 1: That's not so bad.
Speaker 2: And you don't realize that if you don't have that GPS in front of you, and it makes sitting in traffic a little bit more tolerate.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't admit this, but I'm going to. Since since I started to just put the GPS, it used the GPS, not every single day, but way more often than I used to, just to see how long it honestly, just to see the expected arrival time, and then I use that as a challenge. Yeah, I do that on vacation. Ways. You're telling me I'm going to be there at two twenty three pm. Yeah, I'll check in at two fifteen and we'll see, and we'll see, we'll see how accurate you are. Sure, and then sure enough, I always lose because the accuracy is insane. They have to not only base it off of what is in what is on the roads that you're going to be taking, and also the average time that you know it would take anybody who commutes during that time of day in that stretch of travel, but also they must know like your driving habits as far as the speed that you go typically because the accuracy is really really impressive. But yeah, I've not had many wins against ways as far as getting there much quicker than they anticipated. But when I do get those wins, they feel really good. But yeah, I always get a little cocky, like, oh yeah, I'll show you, yes, right, you've seen me out here on the roads. I know how to avoid the red lights that kind of stuff. So again, the good news is it looks like maybe the rain's going to be a little bit delayed then as far as we expected it, which could make it easier. But yeah, it's gonna probably be some slower travel time with the other work being done on the Kennedy Bridge. Right another update of trafficking weather is coming up right here, right now on news Radio eight forty whas it's seven sixteen here on a Thursday morning, Kentucky had his morning news on news Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee with you. We'll have another update on sports coming up in about ten minutes with Scott Fitzgerald. Something you oftentimes don't don't see is a wild animal on the loose, and that is that's what's going on in rural Tennessee. There's a zebra that has been on the loose since this weekend, so going on five days now. Apparently somebody bought a zebra from a breeder in Texas, brought it back to Tennessee, and it didn't take long for the zebra to escape its enclosure. And the videos that have surfaced in there hasn't been a recent one, but once, I mean, this zebra ended up out on Interstate twenty four near the Joe B. Jackson Parkway. It led to lane closures for obvious reasons, and obviously people get out their cell phones now and take video. Those videos, as far as the quality, are pretty crazy for it from a device, and it looks if you told me it was AI generated, I believe you, because you don't often see a zebra just running around on the interstate. But that's what's happened. So they're still searching for this zebra, and I just I can imagine the small town Tennessee conversations at the local diner or at the gas station, people looking over their shoulder to see if this is because they're probably scared of it. They probably should be. You never know what a zebra's gonna do, especially when the zebra realizes. I mean, I would imagine that zebra's not spent much of its life, you know, just roaming around on interstates that kind of stuff. But yeah, some people are having fun with it, saying, hey, just just to be clear, there's somebody went viral with like a million shares of seemingly on one of the social media platforms. It says, I just want people to know if I find the zebra. I'm keeping it. I was gonna say driving, they can do that, but you know, well what drives that train?
Speaker 2: Where does somebody go?
Speaker 1: You wake up one day and go, you know what, I like Zebras? I want one?
Speaker 2: And when you keep it, what do you do? Do you have a vet that can care for us? I'm sure Zebras had.
Speaker 1: I just I can't relate because I never want to me. I'm not a big pet guy anyway, not to say that I'm anti pett. I didn't grow up with a family pet that was really close to us, so you know, it's just I didn't experience that. But this reminds me of something that happened. Gosh, it's probably been over twenty years, and you'll learn more about I'll have more Bullet County stories for people, just because that's where I'm from, and there are stories that I'll share that you'll see. You'll say to yourself, Okay, yeah, I could see that coming from Bullet County. But this was in two thousand and four. There was a snow leopard that got loose and the owner of this snow leopard he had some type of It wasn't a zoo, but some type of petting. I guess a petting zoo or something like that, although I don't really know if I'd want to go pet a snow leopard. But anyways, he had the proper permits to own the animals, so he wasn't cited for any crime. But the snow leopard got loose and nobody knew where it was. And you know, I just remember anywhere you'd go, it would be the conversation when you're checking out at the gas station. You heard about that snow leopard. And I remember I was I was a lot younger at the time, and parents in the neighborhood were making sure their kids were in an hour or two earlier than normal, because you never know, the snow leopard may appear and and you know, I mean, do whatever. It's just they ended up finding it. But it was just a wild thing that it was all anybody in the little area I grew up was talking about, and everybody looking over their shoulder, and because you never know, what I mean, you would have no clue what that animal would do if if you you know, and they would tell you not to try to, you know, catch it or anything like that. In fact, call who you need to call if you do think that you have spotted it. But when I was this was when I was a teenager, we had a trampoline in our backyard. One of the and my sister. It was mostly her she was She did gymnastics and cheerleadings, so she usually used the trampoline and it had a little bitty tiny hole in it, and one of my buddies was jumping on it, just you know, messing herud around, and his toe happened to hit the tiny hole in the trampoline at the perfect spot to where it just ripped our trampoline in half. And he tried to tell her because I was like, I told him, look, my sister's gonna be really upset, like that's kind of a big deal. And he thought, well, maybe I'll blame it on the snow lever. Ah, the snow leopard got a hold of it, and of course he tried that it didn't work out. But yeah, yeah, I can't. I mean, I'm scared of dogs. Have you seen coyote? If I saw if I saw a snow leppard, I would lose my mind.
Speaker 2: Have you seen coyotes yet?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I remember I saw I saw coyote in our neighborhood because they're prevalent now in neighborhoods.
Speaker 1: Is it so obvious to know that it's not I know it? You know what it is from afar though, I mean you probably think, like, hey, that kind of looks like it made Yeah, and then you get closer than you realize that is not a dog, cat. That's not a typical animal that you see or a pet you see that people walk in the neighborhood. So yeah, there's probably more rare. There's probably more animals out there that we just wouldn't expect. And I mean the types of animals right, like coyotes are probably way more calm. And then people realize that exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's one running around Hikes Point for the longest time and it's just the most bizarre thing. But you do when you see it, you're like, that's coyote.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, haven't seen these videos of the zebra on the interstate. It's it's wild. It is wild, all right. We got a quick we got another update of traffic and weather coming your way is also an Another update was on sports with Scott Fitzgerald right here on News Radio eight forty whas. Thank you, John. It is seven thirty five here Kentucky had It's Morning News. You heard there from Jim Ryan about the big I guess release date of the Nintendo Switch to which I guess it's I feel like I can say that I've benefited from not really catching the video game bug really at any point in my life, because I probably would have spent a lot of time playing video games and I'm not really sure what would have come from that.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Again, if that's what you do as a hobby and that's how you spend your down, that's how you spend your downtime, then great. So I don't want to insinuate if you play video games then all you're doing is wasting time. In fact, you could actually like you know, I mean, can't you like major in video games nowadays? Mediatimes? Sports, yeah, e sports, Yeah, times have changed. But this is Nintendo's flagship switch to It is the successor of the more popular, the very popular original Nintendo Switch. And I mean they're expected, meaning Nintendo to sell fifteen million units of the Switch to console in the fiscal year ending in March twenty twenty six. So this is really really popular you've got people lined up to get it. There's certain places that I guess you can, certain retail places will have some available. But as far as the pre order, pre sale, that's sold out long long ago. And look, I'm not passing judgment because people can do whatever they want. I just can't think of anything I would wait hours in line for like that. Yes, I mean, but that's just me. Have you ever waited in line for like a release of an album, of a of a video game console, of a shoe. I used to work at a shoe store in the mall many years ago, and there were certain release dates where we knew there'd be people overnight staying outside because they wanted to get in line to get their hands on it. So it's not that uncommon. It's just I can't think of well than anything. It's not it's not necessarily the weight. It's just there's not any specific item that I've been that no, that ready to get my hands on.
Speaker 2: I remember when my son wanted a PS five for the longest time, Remember the rush, Yeah with those, and I did go a little crazy. We actually played it out on the air that I was, I mean, I was Russell Crow beautiful mind and everything. Dude trying to find a way to get him this PS five and he said, line, I think it was an Xbox one is the alternative. But did you know And one thing I discovered in this there are people that you can pay to sit in line, and people were paying top dollars.
Speaker 1: That's a nice hustle, it is.
Speaker 2: And people were paying when the iPhone would come out, for example, they would pay people to sit in line for days and just wait outside. And of course we've seen that locally here with folks that wait outside for Big Blue Nation tickets.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: And I was telling you off the air, my son's.
Speaker 1: I think a ticket's different because that's just you want, you want to experience. That's so bad. But as far as and again, whatever game you're in line for for a ticket, whatever event like who knows, it may never happen again, it can be special to you. These are items that eventually you'll be able to purchase and probably not pay the amount of money that you'd have to pay per S day. Well, and you can get on wait lists too. You can get a wait list to purchase.
Speaker 2: But I told my wife after we finally got we we didn't get the PS five. But man, I've never been through an experience like that. I mean that is like you are F five ing every retail website. There's you're reading websites that are just you think conspiracy.
Speaker 1: So it was it mostly online looking to fund one order or was going to places and seeing if they had it.
Speaker 2: No, you looked online and then what you did was you waited and then you read all these you think.
Speaker 3: Like I said, you think conspiracy theorists were bad.
Speaker 2: There were people that tracked this stuff and they would they would send out on Twitter like Okay, go now to said retail store and they've got six of them that are on hand. And I talked to some of the folks in the retail outlets because I did a little piece for it on Kentucky Focus, and it was it was they would tell me they go, yeah, we would literally have these in on the truck. And I said, do any of you guys ever give inside information? And I had one person tell me off the air they would. They would tip off like a friend or a family that we're looking forth that hey, these are by the way, and then but then you'd have to go and you'd have to actually F five and be able to get it. I've had stuff in my cart waiting for a PS five and by the time I got ready to pay check.
Speaker 1: Out, it's gone, Yeah, no longer available. Yeah. And there are certain things you'd wait in line for because you know they're only going to like a shoe, a rare shoe that you know they'll only make a certain amount of them, Therefore years later it'll only obtain more value because of how rare it is. But items like an iPhone or a PlayStation and Nintendo switch to they'll continue to manufacture it if you continue to buy it, So it's not like you're going to have a rare one maybe long long down the line. I'm just trying to think of if you're somebody that is going to pay top dollar or for somebody to sit in line for you, and you're gonna pay way more than the already expensive retail price just so you get it early. Seven years later, will that added price that you paid to get it early really be worth it? Again, it's up to you to determine what's worth it, right, it's your money, it's your time. But I just think if you really consider it, I'll eventually get my hands on it, I'll play it and I'll be able to enjoy it, and I could maybe save I don't know, five hundred buck. I mean, if you're a hustler sitting in line for somebody and you're not even going to get the device yourself, I mean, you're probably charging a lot of money. Especially I never early.
Speaker 2: I never understood the iPhone thing, dude, Yeah, I never understood it.
Speaker 1: Yep, especially when there's you know, the newest one. There's new bells and whistles and all that kind of stuff, new features. But as somebody who's had an iPhone for fifteen plus years, you know, I'll keep the current one I have and just get the latest one whenever I can. I'm not in such a rush. All right, we got another update of traffic and weather coming your way right here news radio eight forty w h as. It's seven forty six here at Kentucky and it's morning news on news Radio eight forty WHS. Let's get another update on sports with Scott Fitzgerald's Sports.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, man, we're coming a little early, aren't we. About forty four?
Speaker 2: Here's your three day kicking buddy, here's your three day kids.
Speaker 1: I knew it was gonna happen.
Speaker 3: You're great, but we do more sports.
Speaker 2: But no, it's sorry, No, dude, it is so awesome because I was telling you off the air that the beauty of working this part right here now is that I can see others like I was John, I was bragging on you in and break.
Speaker 1: Down just what's funny. I knew that it that it wasn't sports. I know I did that. It's your three days. I have in front of me what we were going to discuss. So I'm sorry, No, you were.
Speaker 2: It's catching up with you, Bud. It's it's finally hitting. Yeah, and it does all of us. In fact, Nick and I were talking last hour about there's a certain time in the morning that I get really tired, and I when I was producing like John is when Bob's color was on this show. I'm not gonna lie, there was a time where I kind of dozed off board. And it hits every morning about the same time.
Speaker 1: I could be a liar and blame this on me being tired. I think it's just me being an idiot, and you'll learn. You'll learn that that doesn't that's not something that that you know, you mean, you're hereable at times. There's a lot of things this show. Well today I just completely made a big goof there, and I guess we can blame it on being tired, but I don't know. I don't know if that was actually what it was. But also I'm surprised it took me. I'm surprised I got three plus shows in before I ended up saying sports instead of staying News Radio eight forty whs I went. I went to say Sports Talk seven ninety because that's what I've said for a long long time now. So yes, I'm human. I'll make mistakes and I'll get better. But I'm just mad at myself for that, because I knew that it wasn't sports, and I just had a brain fart and decided to he's.
Speaker 2: Going for sports. He's going on Chris Farley that Saturday, a live skit.
Speaker 3: I shouldn't have said that.
Speaker 1: No, you're here telling me boy, Yeah.
Speaker 2: You're a human, buddy, You're a human, and and that's what happens. And honestly, you have been lights out since you was thank this gig, and I was amazing adjustment.
Speaker 1: Well you you you.
Speaker 2: Had noticed I mean you picked right up and ran with it, and that for this to be the first time that you you had a side step, dude, and it wasn't even that big of a side step.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you all for for being understanding. And again I'll I'll have other goofs along the way and we'll have something really well. I'm very good at making fun of myself and you know, yeah.
Speaker 3: There's times up John Shannon on the news end, John, I did that.
Speaker 2: I did that before, like because the only time we get a chance to go refresh and go use the restroom is like when John's maybe doing the news.
Speaker 3: So I've done what you've done there room. You haven't turned on his news Mike, He's cruise will come run across the hall. He goes, there's no one, there's nobody on the air. What I do I relaxed, dude, I got it.
Speaker 1: The microphone being on is a pretty big factor in what we do. It's it's certainly a big factor in all this. So yeah, I think what.
Speaker 2: You're talking about, Nick here is a very relatable moment for a lot of people on their way to work this morning, and in their own jobs, they have moments like we've all had like you've had, John had, I've had it happens.
Speaker 1: I've got another I've got another thing. This one is I think a little bit more understandable, but still again just a brain far on my end. Typically I would leave, I would leave to come here to start my show when I was on our sports station at about two o'clock. Well, yesterday I was out going to get the kids instead of I'm now going to pick up the kids instead of going to work, and I got on the road as if I was coming here to do a sports show, and you know I don't do that anymore. So luckily I didn't get too far going the wrong direction in order to get where I needed to go. But yeah, some adjustments. It's an adjustment period here, but it's been a lot of fun. So yes, in fact, we do have sports coming up here, and just read it first. Another update on Traffick and weather right here on news radioaight forty whas