Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the wadd You're Talking About Willis Podcast with atp. Sixty Marcus Willis and me his mate Dave. Now you heard that right, Marcus is eightp six zero whoa Marcus is having a week's rest. But earlier in the year, we caught up with Ollie Clark, who's a friend of Marcus, a tennis coach and a mental health campaigner. In this special This is Your Lifestyle episode, Ollie talks about his relationship with tennis, how are you cross pass with Marcus, and what life looks like on and off the court. This episode does discuss some sensitive topics related to the mental health that some listeners may find disturbing. If you or someone you know is struggling, please don't carry it alone. Reach out to a trusted friend, family member, mental health charity, or contact the Samaritans. I hope you enjoy hearing at p. Sixty Marcus Willis. By the way, if you see him in the street and assist and we call him in, that's really getting me down. Me is mate, Dave, and our star guest this week, Holly Clark.
Speaker 2: So I started playing tennis. I think it was about three or four, like my mum had a friend that was a tennis coach and we just went as all the local villages, went down to the local court and just played. That's how we did it. Didn't think much of it. I mean, the lady in question, the coach, must have been about seventy at the time, so god knows how old cheers now and honestly I look back now and thinking you're really old at that point. But she was great, you know, she got she got us interested and that was it. And I joined then my local club, which was done Mo Tennis Club in Essex because it was just down the road from me, and I stayed there pretty much until I left coaching there what four and a bit years ago, and just worked my way up through just playing and then assistant coaching and coaching. So just did that. That's how it all got going. It was nothing, nothing major, It just was. It kind of just fell onto my lap. That makes sense.
Speaker 1: So many people's journeys in tennis are a bit like that, aren't they. It's just the addiction of it.
Speaker 2: So what were you? What were you?
Speaker 1: How are you playing as a kid? Were you competing? Were you playing multiple times a week? Was it part of like a secondary sport or or was it just an obsession.
Speaker 2: If I was younger, I think it was more of like a secondary sport. My main one was football, and then I quickly realized I wasn't any good at that, so I thought, you know what, I'll go with tennis. And I did a bit of golf as well, but then I just signed up I think from about thirteen fourteen. Would then start playing regularly a couple of times a week, would start playing to the local team for the club teams. I wouldn't go and play many tournaments as such, because my dad used to work away a lot in Nigeria, so it would be left hand to my mum and she couldn't get me to tournaments quite a lot because as my sister as well, who was doing other stuff. So I just competed quite locally really, and then got in the adult team from the age of like fifteen and that was it really, So I wouldn't say I competed loads as a kid. I haven't really competed that much at all, truth be told, just loved it.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean you say that, Oli, but apparently there was quite a big exhibition match a couple of years back in December.
Speaker 4: Quite a big exhibition.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, December twenty three, that was it.
Speaker 4: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean it was a huge exhibition.
Speaker 4: Double was huge exhibition.
Speaker 3: Double.
Speaker 2: Oh my, that only Clark, Wow.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean I always just say, you know when when you know, Marcus at the time was what one eighty surrounding the world. He had one afternoon with me, and then suddenly he's down in the top seventy. You know. So I think I'm the start of the process through if we're sold.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I mean, look, I'm no lawyer, but I think fifteen percent of prize money is a minimum here.
Speaker 2: I think it's a standard, isn't there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, fifteen percent and nothing is nothing.
Speaker 2: I'll still take fifteen percent exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So is that how you two have met? You two met in exhibitions?
Speaker 2: Marcus he put out, didn't you on one of the tennis group chats, didn't you about you know, looking to come down and help some clubs out and stuff like that, And I thought I'd just jump at the chance, got in touch and we kind of went from there, didn't we.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know it was good. I think that's the first time we met in person. We were both on the Facebook group, the tennis coaches Facebook groups?
Speaker 4: Is that the one?
Speaker 2: And yeah, yeah, people don't need to know.
Speaker 4: We'll we'll remember it at four o'clock in the morning. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, so I got some time in the in the off season, went down, you know, did some stuff with the juniors, with the adults, and played an exhibition. I've got to say my partner carried me to Jeremy.
Speaker 2: Is it it was Jeremy? Yeah, yeah, my partner was My partner was severely hungover it'd be on a lawyer's work do, and literally got to the courts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't need the proper way to play a tennis match. Right, So you're set up now, you're set up now in where you are? What does that look like? And yeah, tell about your standard a week coaching?
Speaker 2: Oh wow. So I mean you've got I do individuals in the day, which I can't do at the center that I'm based at because it's also a secondary school, so for safeguarded reasons, you can't go in in the day. So I do lots of individuals or small groups with adults, but the day I'll go and do your primary school stuff. And then you head off to the center and you do your junior groups, your adult groups throughout the week and at the weekend, and throwing as well. Now a little bit of sort of pe what do you call it? Ppa cover. I'm now started doing a little bit pee teaching as well in a couple of primary schools, which has added a little bit of difference. But it's a great feeder forget people interested in playing in our in our sport. Yeah, mixture of ages between the youngest we've got is three and then our oldest is mid seventies, so a wide variety of players.
Speaker 1: Do you love it, Ollie, is because you know, coach to coach? Do you just love being out there? Because I've never found anything that replaces being on a court, seeing the improvement, the upskilling whatever. Just the environment of a tennis club is an addiction for me. And the idea of being like a head coach who doesn't work or being a tutor or it's never I know, nothing can replace taking groups.
Speaker 2: Are you still the same? I've got to say actually now since I've set up by myself, so I'm not a club as such, I'm just a program coaching program. So it's all down to me. I love it more than I have ever done before, and I can't. I just love being on court. It's just the best feeling, it really is, and I feel like I'm I've generally you feel I'm actually getting better as I'm getting older as well as a coach, more experienced, more knowledge and willing to learn.
Speaker 1: Well, that's where you and I did, for I already know everything, so I don't need to learn.
Speaker 2: I'm very fortunate.
Speaker 3: That's lovely. Obviously, I've come to know you more than just you know through tennis, Olie. You've been a great friend to me, and you've got a really powerful, full story your end that I think you know you've told you know certain Could you tell me where you were this time kind of just over three years ago and how you came to that and how you overcame that Situationally.
Speaker 2: Yes, So it was yes, twenty three now, my marriage coming to an end, and I'd already had a bout of depression back in twenty twenty one. I think the lockdown was a massive factor. I was having a lot of issues with my tennis club at the time, and having a newborn in the house. I just didn't feel like I was I was good enough for anyone, really, and then twenty three all hit everything at once and I genuinely saw no way out, and I thought the only way out would be to leave this, to leave this earth. And I'm very open and honest and about talking with that, and I just well, while I couldn't do it, I couldn't do it to Sophia and my family. And then I thought, right, okay, let's get some let's get some serious help, and let's and start helping myself and making me better. So, yeah, I was in I was in a rough place, no doubt in that. But I look backer now and I go, that was a great time if you look at it that sense, because you look how far I or anyone else in that situation can come.
Speaker 1: Well, I really appreciate you talking to us about this, and it's something that Marcus and I have spoken about on previous podcasts. But this is something that definitely the discourse amongst men is changing, and men are able, hopefully now to feel freer to talk about these subjects. What does depression feel like for you? How does it manifest?
Speaker 2: Oh? So it used to manifest in a few different ways. Actually, So I've had a neurological condition since the age of about seventeen, where I would get pins and needles all over my body and I'd lose I'd almost do the ability to do stuff like even silly things like holding a glass. The cup would just fall out of my hand and it would smash on the floor, and the pins and needles will then go all over the body. And that's the that's brought on by stress and anxiety a lot of the time. So that's how it would start. I would start feeling I'd get the pins and needles, and I'd feel ill, and then it would just spiral into my brain would just go well, I'm just not good enough and I'm not worthy of anyone or anything, and I would I would shut off from the world. But then on court, I would be game face on and whack this wonderful smile on which actually a lot of people saw through and saw it was a fake smile. Because I think as coaches or even as players, you know, you have to have to do a job right, and you have to be there for your clients, and you have to look like your love in life, and when and and then I think that's tiring. And then when they used to come home. I just didn't want to do anything. Ah And yeah, now it's hugely different, you know, with with the tools I've got and you know, work you do on it doesn't mean you're ever going to be okay all the time, because you're not. You can't be. But yeah, for me, it was just a spiral really and just I would have no motivation to do anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can.
Speaker 3: I can relate to a lot of that, especially the part about turning up and putting on the smiley face. And you know, I call it for me, it was playing an actor and I found especially like looking back, I've only just figured this out recently, but you know, most of my life when I was younger as acting fitting in and you know, not want people to see what I'm really feeling because I was embarrassed.
Speaker 4: About it as well.
Speaker 3: But it's such as it's such a complex thing and we get so good at it gets acting as to say, or putting on a smiley face. And I think it's a good skill somewhat because I think personally when I was in it, I didn't want to bring people down or you know, have that kind of attention. But it's also a desperate place to be in as well, and you know it's it's dangerous. You know, my my head's gone. As far as you know, there was a there was a phase a few years back, probably just over five years ago, where I didn't want to die, but I didn't want to live and actually, had I something bad happened to me or you know, a pasthedway, I had have gone, ah, that that that would be good because then people feel sorry for me. But then I'm not in pain anymore. And I used to think stuff like you know, people around would be sad, but you know they'll be all right in the end. And you know, it's a pretty devastating place to be. As you say, the motivation to do anything just goes. So I can relate to you, and I know we've we've chatted in detail, you know, personally, and thank you for being such a good friend. We chat a lot, and it's it's nice to be to have that outlet and check in each other. But how did you get better? How did things start looking up? Who helped you know this? This this part I want you know if someone's listening and struggling or know someone that's listening and struggling, we want them to know there's a way out and just explain how how you did that and what life looks like now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I said, I remember it vividly. It was the fifteenth of feb twenty twenty three and I've gone out for a walk and I'd actually collapsed with my condition, my neurological condition, and I was rushed off to Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford. And well, what was a bit strange was the parent medic who came to look after me was a member of the tennis club that i'd left only two years what a couple of years, two years beforehand, and we hadn't spoken since because it'd all a bit gone, a bit awry. And I looked at him, I was like, that's the last person I need to look after me. But they were just amazing with me, and they noticed the signs straight away. They like, you need to get yourself like checked out, like properly, not just physically mentally. And I remember I'm sitting in the hospital and I said I could just walk out of here and just go and no one would notice. And then this doctor just called me and that was it. And my parents and my sister at the time when they were living they still they live in Norfolk, and they my dad wasn't quite sure what to do with it, like thinking, is it is this a bit of a is he not saying is he making it up? But this is he just playing on this a little bit. I think as a generation thing, maybe some people of that age don't understand it. And it was my sister was like, no, we need to drive down and go and see him, you know, we need to go and pick him up from the hospital first of all. And she came down with my dad and my dad just took one look at me and was like I get it. I get it, son, you know, and like hugged me, you know. And my dad's not a real hugger as such, and he just got hold of me and was like, yeah, you're okay, son. And my sister did the same, and they took me back to their house up in Norfolk, and he really really got it. I mean I opened up to him and I said, Dad, I don't want to be here anymore, and he was. And for my dad to cry at the age at that point what it was, what mid seventies for him to cry was hard to see. Yeah, he but then I think he really understood how low I was. And my mum and my were going to be now my brother in law, they were all there with my with my sister as well, and they just sat me run a table and just let me speak. So they were the first people that were on hand and were just able to speak to me and let me speak and be open and honest, even if it was you know, it could have been even like a bad thing about them. You know, let's get it all done out in the open, get it on the table and we can move forwards. So did it with them. And at the time I also had private medical insurance with Vitality, which had counseling sessions available, and I just booked in with them. And I can't remember her. I can't remember her name, she who she was, but my goodness, me did she just pretty much saved me as well. So they were that was the first point of call. And I had therapy for a good, good sort of eighteen months with that, and if I needed it again, I'd go back to it in a shop.
Speaker 1: On an earlier podcast, Dotie, we spoke about some trials, tribulations, ups and down, some mental health perspective Marcus and I have had, and therapy was part of that. Something that I've always suffered with is like a lack of confidence, a small ego, negative self taught, lack of belief and almost, like Marcus said, putting a game face on, which is far from that, the most opposite. So somebody who would meet me or maybe even listen to this would think there's someone who's never short of a word, happy to walk in a busy room, and it's actually the opposite. It spikes my anxiety being around people too much, kind of perhaps me of enthusiasm. I wish that I could go back to my sixteen year old, eighteen year old, twenty one year old self and just explain what's happening and why why you don't need to go down this path. What would you say to yourself twenty years ago?
Speaker 2: Life is what you make it, and nothing is ever too big. You know, there's nothing that can that should be able to really take hold of you. You know, I'm sure all of us in our lives have you know, felt lost or tragedy and stuff like that. And it's I actually look at it this week in particular. So I'm fortunate to put my dog down this week, and my little girl, Sophia, she's five and a half and she kind of doesn't dwell on it. And I think we all need to be like children in the way that we the way that they think, because we as adults can overanalyze, overthink and read into even like a message or someone, how they how they say something, how you interpret it. Kids don't do that. And I think that's if you were sixteen, eight teen, twenty one, I think that's almost the same. So if I could go back now, I'd almost say don't worry about it, like don't worry about life, because now if people want to be around me, they'll be around me. And if they don't want to be around me, it's one less person of me to worry about, or one less thing to worry about or concern myself with. My circle of friends is a lot smaller now than it was twenty years ago, but were they friends probably not. As it said, I'm the same as you, Dave. I'll go into a room and I don't really like being around people that much, truth be told, I'm quite happy in my own space and my own company or the people I want to be with and I put on this face, but now I don't anymore. If I don't want to go somewhere, I won't go. And I'm really like I have the I've said. I can now learn the word no, which I never did before.
Speaker 3: That's such a good skill to have, mate, I'm still learning that.
Speaker 4: I'm still I don't. Yeah, I'm the same. I don't.
Speaker 3: It's amazing. Like you put a tennis racket in my hand and put me on a big court. I'll go and play because I love playing tennis. But you know, public speaking stuff like that or Q and a's are fine.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 3: Actually, like busy, busy crowds, I don't get out much nowadays because I just want to be I want to be at home. I'll go for a walk and stuff, but any event, stuff like that, especially now, you know I used to I used to think I had to drink or get some booze down me to socialize and loosen up. And then you take that drink away and you stood there and you're scared, is probably the right way of saying it. Uncomfortable. So I'm the same. I don't do much much public stuff nowadays, and my friend group is a lot smaller, so I can completely relate to that.
Speaker 4: It's it's but.
Speaker 3: I always used to try and try and fight it and go Now it's normal. But actually a lot of other people are in the same position that room that there's not not many people who absolutely love, you know, socializing events, especially if they're not off their trolley as well.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I suppose everyone's different. But oh did you find when you're you.
Speaker 3: Know, going going through what you're going through and rehab, did you find getting outside playing tennis did that help you at all?
Speaker 4: Or was it.
Speaker 3: Did that just you know, pick up hand in hand? Did you always have tennis there as an outlet? Did you go on court and forget everything for a little bit or you.
Speaker 4: Know, was it a bit more timely than that?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah for me, no, get it out, get well, just one being outside I think is the best thing in the world. And an if you could, if you've got something that you love doing, then that's even better. Right, So tennis, coaching, knocking a few balls around, playing whatever it is would always be and all as will be I think my outlet. And because then I was I've said to people before, and I've said I've said to you Marcus is that now I'm I'm now allowed. I'm not saying aloud, but I'm now who I want to be, you know, and I'm accept who I am whatever, good points, bad points, in different points. I've got I am who I am, and I really like myself. Actually I love I love who I am. So then being outside and being on the tennis court for me just enhances that even more. You know, it said at the start, I love doing my job. If I love who I am as well, then those two go hand in hand and it makes me a better human being.
Speaker 4: The onto the serious stuff.
Speaker 3: Now we've done a little bit of you know, life or death stuff, but this is the real important stuff on it. Here we go cot. You're on a desert island. Yeah, and you're allowed tennis match.
Speaker 4: On d v D.
Speaker 3: Other other than the Willis Federal one. Obviously, which one are you watching?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say, other than well, I was, you know, I was thinking, you know, Willis in the the mixed doubles second round of Sunday, even at Wimbledon a couple of years ago, was quite good, oh beautiful. You know, that was a classic form on BBC two to watch that. But if I had a match. It's gotta be fed and the doll I wait final Wimbledon. Oh boy, it's got to be it, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah? The one it in is in his three three quarter length?
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think it was nine to seven and the fifth I think something like that. I think it was.
Speaker 3: Okay, while you're watching the tennis match, you've got one packet of christ and one chocolate bar?
Speaker 4: Which one.
Speaker 2: Packer Chris? Oh the Chris?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Cheasee an onion Chris for me? Always? Oh, I hear always. I mean, even if it's like it's got to be Walkers only the main brand, of course, there's got to be a choosing onion Crispin there chocolate bar, that's my downfall. I love chocolate. Oh I'm a kit kat chunky guy.
Speaker 3: Oh great stuff, great stuff. Do you bite the top off first? Or do you eat it like a normal human being?
Speaker 2: How do I eat a kitcat chunky? I don't know. I'll just buy into.
Speaker 4: It, yea, hey, yeah, you're a normal human being.
Speaker 3: I used to or the chocolate off the top and then around the size and leave the wafer by itself at the end.
Speaker 2: Rick all right?
Speaker 3: Just me?
Speaker 4: Then? Never mind?
Speaker 2: What are you doing.
Speaker 3: I uhould dissect a big mac as well. I used to eat layer by layer. I can't bite into it. Oh but because I'm a professional athlete, I don't know what I do.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 3: By the way, by the way, Ali on this desert island for some reason, you've got one tennis racket.
Speaker 4: So you've got a big I'm.
Speaker 2: Not sure what for Oh, okay, I would go back to me would be? I think it's had an seven oh eight time, the head micro chill. I used to like the orange, the orange racket, the orange and black racket, I think it was. I had five of them in the end. I loved it so much.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, the orange and black and white one.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the one.
Speaker 4: No, yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember that. Only good, good players use that.
Speaker 2: I don't know who gave me. I don't know who gave them to me. Oh yeah, that the racket.
Speaker 4: Amazing.
Speaker 3: Okay, So you got you got, you got, You got your head micro gel feeder and ada on the big screen, cheese and onion and a kit cat chunky eating normally.
Speaker 1: That is a great day for me anyway, Ollie, thanks so much for joining us and for talking about tennis. But the tennis being a big backdrop to your life, your experiences, and I hope that somebody listening understands that they're not alone. There are people who eat kit Cat chunkies in unusual ways, and there are support crew just for people who eat kick Kat chunkies in.
Speaker 2: Such a way.
Speaker 1: And if you're affected by somebody eating a kit Kat chunky in an unusual way, please get onto Google.
Speaker 3: Victor of Baranco on troumble, Sergeant Major of Craig Frederick on.
Speaker 4: The trumpets and the composition The Army Blues
Speaker 3: Walked Back Down,