Speaker 1: This is the JB and Sandy Show podcast. You can listen live every morning on one of three point one in Austin, or stream the show on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening. You can listen online at one O three to one Austin dot com. From Mother's Day to the end of June is just a run of celebrations at our house.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: Because we've got Mother's Day, We've got Landry's Birthday, my mother in law's birthday, Father's Day, and my birthday all in six weeks. Yep. Versu's done. It's no more part of decorating or anything.
Speaker 4: I am refusing to decorate for anything until I think our next birthday that we celebrates in September.
Speaker 2: That's our friend mel Right. So we went and saw on Friday, JB. We saw F one, the Brad Pitt movie. And as a person that's not a I mean, I'm a fan of F one, I'm not an uber fan. I don't know a whole lot of you know, I don't know all the ins and outs of F one, but it's a great movie, so good.
Speaker 1: It's so good.
Speaker 2: It was. In fact, I told Trusha, I said, every movie that I ever go to. There's always a point in the movie where I'm like, all right, let's move it right along here. I'm ready for this to be over. Didn't have it in this movie. Mm hmm. And it's great.
Speaker 3: So we talked about it with Stephen from thunder Pop TV, and I guess the premise is an older F one driver making a last run kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Is that what it is? Yep. He was a guy that was going to be the next best thing, going to be the future of F one, had a horrible crash and then life spins out of control and he gambles and didn't he didn't he drank right.
Speaker 1: No, nothing like that.
Speaker 4: But another one of the drivers who was on the team with him when he crashed out. He now present day owns a Formula one racing team and has a really good young driver that he needs Brad Pitt, the old season driver who knows how to handle himself to come in and his The whole premises the old driver and the young driver together make a perfect driving team they need to win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And what they do a great job of in the movie is bringing the uninformed F one fan along like they use the track announcer brilliantly in the movie to tell you what's going on. Like there was an instance because they qualified last, they got ten minutes to fix their car when nobody else did. When during a was it a red flat?
Speaker 4: Yeah, as like during the races, the announcer who is, you know, keeping everybody updated as to what cars in which place. In this movie, they're also explaining why somebody's car moved to what place?
Speaker 1: Did it did?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: In a normal F one rac, the announcer's not going to be saying some of the stuff they were saying in the movie. And then you also can hear with the technical crew who's talking to the drivers in their in their headphones, you can hear what they're saying in the movie, like Sandy said, does a really good job of letting me, who knows nothing about F one know and understand their strategy and why they're doing this. I will tell you some of them. My favorite scenes from the movie were the pit stops. The crew like three seconds is pushing it for taking a little bit too long to change attires for a pit stop.
Speaker 1: I thought that was incredible.
Speaker 2: It was And this just in JB. This Brad Pitt, he's a thing dude. I mean he yeah, handsome, handsome man.
Speaker 1: Handsome man.
Speaker 4: There's one scene where he comes around the corner and is walking towards the camera and our daughter, Landry, she's sixteen, is sitting next to me and I go, damn. She leaned over to me and she's like, Mom, You're not wrong. I was like, my God, not that great an. I think he's fine, He's really not.
Speaker 1: That man deserves an oscar for something.
Speaker 2: Bastards. Yeah, that cops, I love.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you this though.
Speaker 4: You know the whole thing about Brad Pitt and chewing right jb him super sexy, eating something, just something about the way he choose.
Speaker 1: Then need a single thing in this movie, not a single thing.
Speaker 4: And they tease you a little bit because he served at one point a piece of pine and he takes out his fork and he loads the fork with the bite and then never takes the bite.
Speaker 2: It's purpose.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think they did.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, And what else happened on my birthday.
Speaker 1: After the movie?
Speaker 4: Well, we walked, we did our little four and a half mile walk, and Landry went to the movie. Then you went and got your massage, used your Father's Day gift card for massage on your birthday.
Speaker 1: He had a good Friday.
Speaker 4: I did, and then I cooked Mel, and I cooked really Mel more than me. I was kind of a helper that ZD baked. ZD Mel made it. Our neighbor Mel made it for him one year and Sandy fell in love with it.
Speaker 1: That's what he wanted.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I'm a terrible cook, and I was a lot of pressure to not mess it up. But it turned out really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was fun. It was fun. We didn't there were no shots, or no, we didn't hit sixth Street, or yeah, we didn't go out to the club. There was no bottle service or you know that you get to be this age. You're just glad to tell. But I did work out the morning of my birthday so I could eat whenever I wanted to. JB. I plied your rule that I that you used to always say, I work out so I can eat and drink guilt free. And that's when I. I did it on Saturday. So it was good.
Speaker 3: There's still some guilt, but it's you knows, not as mostly guilt free.
Speaker 2: Uh, still to come. There's a robot running around Austin and he's wearing a cowboy hat. Have you guys heard about this? We will tell you all about it coming up on Austin's eighties station one O three point one. Well here we are until lie in Central Texas and it's just hot and we had to wild weather too. So far this year, a lot of people have got some storm damage and a lot of times that means roof damage and insurance claims. Hey, if that happened to you, my friend Scott and Stacy Feller and their team at Kangaroof are here for you. Scott and Stacy just introduce something really exciting there by now pay later program. The timing of this is perfect. Even when insurance covers your new roof, deductibles mean thousands of dollars out of your pocket. Why not save the deductible, keep the insurance check and finance the roof over fifteen years. Makes a lot of sense right. This keeps money in your pocket now and gets you that famous quality Kangaroof. Scott and Stacy are good people who have been helping our Central Texas community for over twenty five years. This is just the latest example of how much they care. Give them a call and ask about buy now, pay later. They really hop to it at kangaroof find them online at call kangaroof dot com. A robot wearing a cowboy hat cruising around Austin details and Justin Bowman, thanks for being with us. It's the JB and Sandy Show. My name is Sandy. This is JB. Hello, Tursus here too.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody?
Speaker 2: Uh and JB. Last, I remember you pointed out one year and I saw it again, a buy one, get five free at the fireworks stand. They're doing it. It's hard to find. Yeah, I found one, and uh, I'm trying to remember where I was Lakeway. I think, yeah, yeah, Lakeway, they've got it. I think it's buy one, get five three.
Speaker 1: It's quite the deal, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Uh Huh. They're tough to find.
Speaker 4: I know I'm doing a public service here by letting people know where to get the free ones.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I don't know. If they're You might want to get there quick because that promotion could go over big and then they won't have any left, is my concern.
Speaker 4: And then you just buy one and that's the one you get if you don't find one of these special stands.
Speaker 3: It's so funny. It's been a while like our family get together. It's Fourth of July in Kansas, where I have a lot of relatives. Got a little derailed on since COVID. It'll be back on track next summer. But I remember being up there and my cousin's like, let's go get some fireworks. I'm like, okay, you just see him everywhere in that part of the country. And we went to some guy's house sketchy and he opened the door and it was all firewall to wall fireworks. I'm like, this is so Kansas, It's weird.
Speaker 2: I remember spending the night in the fireworks stand when I was in high school with my buddy work to guard it. Yep. Yeah, how stupid was that? I mean it was full of fireworkers, right, and we're sleeping in it, and you could have gone up easily.
Speaker 3: I have a friend that still does this. He's in his late thirties. He sleeps with the Christmas trees every year. Oh so they don't get stolen.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Hell, I figure if someone who meets a Christmas tree that bad, just let them have, right, I mean, take it anyway, get out there to Lake Way and get your buy one, get five free. Who's got information on this this robot with a cowboy hat. Well I got a little bit of information.
Speaker 3: There's this this lit cowboy hat robot that is literally running around like it can run. It's not this is not like C three po wheeling around or if it's more.
Speaker 2: Of an R two D two that can actually move way better.
Speaker 3: And it's a Chinese company that has brought it into Austin. It's running around and testing it. It's called Jake the Risbot Rizbot. It is in training around town. It's a it's a Chinese based robotics company and they've just unveiled this and it's wearing a cowboy hat. It's seventy seven pounds the prist tag. If you're interested in getting one, I'll go on walks with it. I don't know, sixteen thousand dollars. I'll take two.
Speaker 1: I thought it'd be more than that.
Speaker 2: But it was up in the domain. It was downtown.
Speaker 3: They've been it's been showing up all over and of course social media frenzy. If you haven't seen it in your social media feed, you will here in the next day or two, because it was all over this weekend.
Speaker 2: Why here, I mean, why they can't they test test him in China. I mean, seriously, I don't know why Austin. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe there's so many of them in China there's no novelty to it anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: There's a They have a China based company, Unitary Robotics is the one the company that's unveiling this model, and I think they have an office here in Austin.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 4: But he's apparently like as walking up to people and chatting them up on the sidewalk too.
Speaker 1: It's like him learning AI.
Speaker 2: They're putting it AI. It could have a conversation now with it. We're in the AI generation. Oh my god, robot better watch his mouth to get his ass with.
Speaker 1: Is it carry a concealed state?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Right, it's human controlled, so somebody is somewhere near it or somehow controlling it walking up and running and chatting with you and stuff.
Speaker 2: That's weird.
Speaker 3: But if they're saying it's for sale for sixteen grand, like what we do? Who's the market?
Speaker 2: Like? Who wants one? Right? I mean, it's a great novelty to see it.
Speaker 3: It's like seeing the guys on horseback on South Congress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, I don't want each guy, a rich guy that can't meet chicks. You know, me and my rope, don't kid? Can he take my trash out to the curb before me?
Speaker 1: Oh God, wouldn't that be great if somebody would do that for us?
Speaker 2: Right, you're right, Jimmy, who's buying one? What do you do with it? Yeah? I don't know. I don't know, but you.
Speaker 3: Know what, now I get the I get the really weird fetish people that have like these realistic, like Japanese looking robot chicks.
Speaker 2: I see where that's going.
Speaker 3: They're looking more and more like that will literally be some dude's girlfriend, I swear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but this one looks like a robe. It looks metallic.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That one of the interesting things in technology that I've noticed recently. You know, the drone that you turned me on to, JB, the hover drone, and I got one, and now you can it's you can fly it yourself, like control it yourself and fly it using your iPhone. But what's really different about the drones in the past, and probably with this robot two, is how easy it is to do, Like it's not hard to control just the little drone that I have flying it by myself. It's really really simple, so I think they've made it more user friendly for people to be able to fly drones. Speaking of flying drones, what's going on at the park with drones and chicks?
Speaker 3: I saw a blurb about this that it was somebody on Socials was shooting from behind two guys playing with the drones. It may have been at Zulka Park, not one hundred percent sure, but it was a park, a big park, and they were very big park, A big beautiful.
Speaker 2: Park park, like a park no one's ever seen before. It's that beautiful. And they were used.
Speaker 3: They were just taking the drones and like creeping on women if they're out there in the park doing yoga or laying out.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, that ruins the fun for everyone. I know.
Speaker 4: It just shows you that everything can be made dirty somehow, somehow people turn it into being dirty.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 3: So just I mean, I mentioned wanting to mention that mores A, you know, p s A. If some drones creeping around you, you know, what can you do?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, cover up, I don't know, shoot.
Speaker 2: It down, I guess. So I noticed that our park at Barton, what it was the name of our park is that we would know that. What's the name of the trail we go to, Oh, Brushy Creek. Brushy Creek. They now have a sign up for people flying drones there because there's an airstrip breakaway. The airstrip is just less than a mile away. I think you have to be five miles from an airport, right. You have to notify them that you're going to be flying your drone at the park, which makes sense. I mean, the little bit drone that you and I have isn't going to get high enough to get in any aircraft way. But but if I do see a yoga class, I don't know keeping what's the name of the robot again?
Speaker 4: Jake, Jake, the risbot. Like, look up a video of him running. He is full of Yeah, it's fast, and I was surprised wearing a cowboy hat, which probably just because he's in Texas.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean.
Speaker 1: It's a legit running robot. As far as running robots.
Speaker 2: Go, I just wish I knew more of the purpose and the reason behind what they're doing with it. Why why they're doing this.
Speaker 3: Just creating buzz I don't I don't know, Like again, I don't know the market of who wants this? Yeah, but there must be at some point there will be a robot market.
Speaker 2: But if someone came to you, JB and said, hey, i'll sell you Jake, there is about here for fifty bucks you want him. Sure, I'm cheap enough. I'll do something. I'll figure something out to do with them.
Speaker 1: So this is like the present day version of Keep Austin Weird?
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, cowboy hat robot running around for no reason at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 1: They should put a thong on it, in a tube top. And it's the present day, Leslie.
Speaker 2: That'd be pretty Funny'd be pretty funny. Thanks for being with us today. We're gonna do this again tomorrow from seven until eight o'clock, so be here for it. If you missed the first part of the show. We make the podcast available every