Speaker 1: Check Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Fudday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 3: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 1: Two nothing.
Speaker 2: It's Alva not so fast coho breath with Don Taylor.
Speaker 4: I say that the winner of the draft lottery should be the winner of a two man loose.
Speaker 1: And Rick Dolly Wall I had a cherry tree, little Ricky.
Speaker 5: If I used to go up that tree and just sit there for hours and bunch of those Jerry years.
Speaker 2: Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 4: Ten o'clock Downtown, Vancouverer Well the Paul Carson Studio. Thanks for tuning in, folks. It's Donnie and Dolly the team on Check. Don Taylor, along with Rick Dollywall. Ryan Henderson is our producer. He's the matter the controls. Our director of the Voice of God.
Speaker 1: Is Derek Wong. How are you couldn't be better? Development camp going on for the Kudocks you wanted to.
Speaker 5: Talk about I know I didn't. I just think it's great having the kids in town. It gives as you say, give me you wanted to so some visuals just stopped on. It gives the fans hope. You always say what can you sell? You can sell hope. And the kids are in town.
Speaker 1: Ryan stopped is showing the video.
Speaker 5: Then, Ryan, you were getting mad at us. I was not getting mad at you. You told me there was.
Speaker 4: They were getting on a bus, the kids going to Avenue yesterday. There was a team bonding exercise. They got on a bus and they went paddling side.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 5: Stop, it's team bonding. Kids are in town. It's given the Cadocks fans hope. Are you kidding me? The Ryan Johnson speech right here?
Speaker 1: What are we seeing here? R? What lake are they going to? You have a no?
Speaker 5: You told me they're on a bus going to abb there they are, okay.
Speaker 4: But they're actually they're gonna start chanting.
Speaker 1: Looks like a school bus from nineteen eighty. So the focus is on the bus.
Speaker 5: Look at this watch listen is team BONDI at its path.
Speaker 4: They're yelling row row row.
Speaker 5: I see I'm into this stuff. I like this stuff.
Speaker 1: I like Ryan Johnson's speech to the kids.
Speaker 4: Yes, I don't think they're going to a lake. It's probably the Fraser River. Okay, it's a Abitsphord.
Speaker 1: But what's this looks like this? What are they supposed to do? Walk there?
Speaker 5: Have you seen the new buses? The kids driving the Western Hockey Leaue They're nine hundred thousand dollars bus.
Speaker 4: This is probably a five minute bus ride.
Speaker 5: It looks like a school bus from nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 1: But really the yellow bus.
Speaker 4: They're tightening the purse strings. The yellows with the can starting with the development camp bus.
Speaker 5: Yes, anyways, good stuff, Thank god we got this in. The kids are in town. They hope hope you start selling Stabitsford.
Speaker 1: Not hope.
Speaker 3: Oh it's average for Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you see what we have to put up with here. This is more on the development camp later. I just wanted to start the show off. I wanted to start it off with soccer, but you were really upset about it's not showing that very important past visuals there. But Canada now knows its opponent's going to be Saturday in Houston Morocco. Rick, you informed us earlier earlier that it's in Africa.
Speaker 5: I did some I didn't know, Like I'm not a geography. Morocco was a small country northern Africa. Thirty seven million, So I google that.
Speaker 1: I did need your homework.
Speaker 5: I didn't know how does a small country like that, Dawn have such a good soccer team. That's why I agree there's.
Speaker 4: Sixth rank in the world the world on the men's side, obviously, Canada is thirtieth. Keep in mind, Paraguay defeated the giant Germany yesterday four to three in penalty kicks. Think Paraguay forty first rank, So there's some there's some hope yesterday, and so Morocco ends up beating the Netherlands.
Speaker 1: In similar fashion three two on penalties. Loved it.
Speaker 4: Between the two games there were eight missed penalty but they both went to penalties, and there were eight missus, which you don't normally see it that the tension. I can't imagine being in that, in that situation. I can understand, you know, I know they're professionals and they've been involved in this sort of situation before. But man, talk about pressure and it got to some of them, But can cannot I know we've talked about this a million times, and you know other shows we've had, other people have talked about soccer's got to come up with a better way to determine winners on an important, massive stage like this, and I know World Cup finals have been decided on penalty kicks. There's got to be something better.
Speaker 1: And of course the old one question.
Speaker 4: I remember Bob Lanneroozy talking about this years and years ago. You go to extra time. In every five minutes, you take a player off from each side, so there's more space.
Speaker 1: More space.
Speaker 4: So as opposed to you know, ten you get a goal quick on each side, you get nine and down to eight and yeah, exactly, concept is three on three would be better than penalty kicks.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, absolutely.
Speaker 4: But having said that, it's incredible theater, it's great to watch. And so Canada versus Morocco Saturday. The game starts ten am in Houston, and soccer fans will know that Canada lost to Morocco you know.
Speaker 1: This in twenty.
Speaker 4: Twenty two by a score of two to one. Same group group, same group. So again Canada, Morocco and Brazil getting by. That was also a tremendous game, Japan taking the lead and then Brazil coming back, you know, and they end up winning two to one. It's just fabulous entertainment and I think even hardcore soccer people, you'd have to agree, it's got to be.
Speaker 1: A better way.
Speaker 4: It just it just seems unfair. It's not soccer. It's the same thing that you know, people say about the shootout, except you know, the difference being when it comes to the playoffs, the National Hockey League changes its rules. They don't go you know, they don't go to shootouts in the in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: It's so it's got a better way. Absolutely, got to be a better way.
Speaker 4: Okay, moving back to hockey now, Okay, let's let's focus on ex Canucks here.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, if you don't mind.
Speaker 4: For one, Derek dor Set, former Canuck, now a member of the Buffalo Sabers scouting staff along with Milan Lucis. There's a Vancouver connection there, obviously, with Milana the prior of East Van, former Vancouver Giant, more than the Vancouver Giants. In a second as well, Jacob Markstrom is going back to the Florida Panthers, and people might say, don what the heck you talking about. Jacob used to play for the Canucks and the Flames. He was originally drafted by the Florida Panthers in the second round way back in two thousand and eight. That was the Cody Hodson Draft. Just give you an idea how how long ago that was. So he goes back to the Panthers from New Jersey to Florida along with a local kid, Angus Krookshank.
Speaker 5: Angus Crookshank from North Vancouver who played the North Shore Winter Club ninety nine born players. So he's on his way to Florida.
Speaker 4: In return, Jersey gets Evan Roderriguez, Yes Pervoquist and Ben Steves Markstrom starts a two year contract, a six million dollar av So the Panthers getting ready or they've accepted that serge Lebroski is going to move on from the Panthers as a UFA, maybe tomorrow when Bob the free agency period starts.
Speaker 5: So they had to do this because they couldn't sign re signed Bob Rovski. Donni looks like he's looking for a lot of term, which Florida doesn't want to give him.
Speaker 1: So coming off of.
Speaker 4: Really for him, disappointing regular season, and we all know about his playoff heroics, but his regular season, I believe his numbers were as bad as they've been, if not the poorest ever.
Speaker 5: The great thing about Markstrom. He's only got two years left, so Florida's looking. Hey, let's give him a shot. If not doesn't work out, he doesn't have much term left.
Speaker 4: You don't have the energy you did, Don, What are you talking about all the energy.
Speaker 1: You did when you saw the development camp.
Speaker 5: And by the way, those kids are going to Chiliwac Whitewater rafting. Okay, text line there you go. Well, this just in it's near Abbitsford Vetta River. It's those companies, those buses by the Vetter River. You know the Vettera River in Chiliwac. I've been there, You've been there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, somebody texting in the BASEID inbox helping us out. Also, let's talk about the UFA period for the Canucks. What can you tell us about Connor Clifton?
Speaker 5: So another defenseman I expect the Canucks to poke around is right shot defenseman Connor Clifton played last year in Pittsburgh. Three years ago Canucks had interest in him. Don, he signed in Buffalo instead of Vancouver. He really likes Vancouver. He would have no issues coming here. Shut down.
Speaker 4: Guy that's from New Jersey's America.
Speaker 1: He likes Vancouver.
Speaker 5: He's a shutdown guy, penalty killer, stay at home type, loves to hit, block shots, brings grit. I can see why the Canucks are going to take a look at him. So keep an eye on Connor Clifton if something happens there. But that's a defenseman. I played big minutes don in the Bruins twenty nineteen Stanley Cup run.
Speaker 1: So there you go. Keep an eye on Connor Clifton.
Speaker 4: And there's a right handed center they're they're interested in as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is.
Speaker 5: I expect the Canucks to check in on players like Kevin Stenland, six foot three right shot. Ryan Johnson said he wants size. Well, Stenlin's got sized on. He's six to three. Utah, Yep, that's right, yep, Yeah, if he hits the market, Eric Halla, left winger, you know guys like that. Duck's tough guy Jeffrey vill I expect to hit the market done. I certainly noticed him during the playoffs at Bingal Bingal. But here's what's going on and talking to agents last night, tough guys are asking for a lot of money because of what Scott mccerron got in Minnesota three point three over six years. So all these tough guys. The market, the market for tough guys has gone up, and guys like VLL who made seven to seventy five, I'm looking for way, way more, three four times more. So, all I'm saying is the market for tough guys that shifted because of what McCarron got. It's not going to be cheap for the Canucks to get that tough guy.
Speaker 4: Ryan Johnson should take and I'm sure some people will agree with this. Who will follow the Canucks for a long long time should take Ray Ferraro's old advice when it comes to the situation the Canucks are in, take your cell phone and.
Speaker 1: Just throw it away. Throw it away for the day. What are the Canucks people?
Speaker 4: People around here a gunshy regarding unrestricted free agency. There have been so many bad ones, so many bad contracts. There's nothing against the players. Here's bad deal. Here's the problem for starting with Mark Messier, absolute Louis Rickson.
Speaker 1: Louis Erickson, Beagle, Verstell. Here's the problem.
Speaker 5: Canucks need defenseman. They lost Forbert, they lost Pierre Joseph Olivier, Olivia Pier, they lost him. Don go with Poj Poj Poj. They lost poj Well they didn't lose him, they didn't bring them back. So they need veteran defenseman. So they're going and Cole you said that in Cole yesterday, so Connor Clifton today. These are the type of guys that Canucks are looking for, a veteran defense who can help the young kids bully them. And Willander Clifton is a great guy. Ian Cole, we know brings that. So these are the type of guys that are looking for. They need defensemen. There's too many young defensemen. They need more veteran d in Vancouver. They're gonna go out and get them some stability.
Speaker 4: Stabil experience. Absolutely, much like Brandon Gallagher upfront.
Speaker 5: I want them to go after Colton Scisions, the kid from North Vancouver, if he hits it. But right now I'm hearing through.
Speaker 4: The grape vine part of Vegas's playoff drift. I'm hearing that Vancouver's not showing interest in Colton Scisons so.
Speaker 1: As of now, but that could change. Okay.
Speaker 4: Back to the Canucks development camp in Abbotsford, Chiliwak yesterday, as you pointed out the Vetter River, seven of nine of this year's Cannuck draft picks are there, including Caleblehultra, Adam Novotni, Big Brooks for Gowski on the ice with this team. And this is interesting because Manny Malholtra hasn't named his assistants. Ryan Johnson hasn't named Manny Malholtra's assistance yet. And there's still the the matter of the coaching staff in Abbotsford that Richard Seely's are working on. But Alex Edler, he's got great is going to be on the ice helping the kids out in Abbotsford. Did he go?
Speaker 1: Do we know if he was on the.
Speaker 5: River rocking in Vetter Lake? Is it Vetter River?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Chill Ryan, don't shake your head you think you know where Vetter River is? Have you been there? Cultis Lake? I've been to Cultist it's a veteran. No, it's not a Cultist Lake. Is the team bonding wise to cultas right now, But it's not Cultist Lake. Cultist Lake is beautiful. I could be there all day.
Speaker 4: You were the king of the water slides out there.
Speaker 5: I heard, Hey, Cultist Lake water slides not as good as the Twasson ones. Well not to Washton water slides are much better. I take that to the bank. I had something for you. You got this summer.
Speaker 1: You might have point. Without getting into.
Speaker 5: Detailed Canucks assistant coaches, I'm still hearing there's interest in Memorial Cup winning coach. Uh, you see a cost? So anyways, it will cost whatever. But they Canucks have looked at him done so? Uh why does every name the Canucks go after a problem for me?
Speaker 1: Anyways? You see a cost?
Speaker 5: Kitchen arrangers coach don I wonder if they're still poking around him my last check.
Speaker 1: I might want to start with getting his name right.
Speaker 5: Hokus hocus, Yeah, okay, so you're you're, you're, you're, you're you're an expert on how to say a hocus like I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm just looking at it.
Speaker 1: Finish, he's spentish. You're you're an expert on finished names.
Speaker 4: You see, I think I was closer than you were. Okay, say it again, hocus that's my guess anyway, all right, or a coss a costs.
Speaker 1: I think they're still poking. We've got a break.
Speaker 4: I don't know if we don't have time for the Ryan Johnson clip on Brandon Gallagher. Okay, here's what's he's what's coming you know what, the next time we have a member of the Canucks on asking him, ask them about the bus situation at development camp if they can't buck up a little bit more. Yeah, absolutely, If we have UCA cors Alaska DTMZ is it just me coming up eleven o'clock hour, Craig Button will join us just after eleven o'clock post a draft and Craig will have a thing or two to say about Brendan Gallagher and about Neil's Hoglander on his way to Nashville from Vancouver. Big Rye Twitter guy. Later this hour, Paul Dolan for a second day in a row, our World Cup analyst from Apple TV. He's going to talk about that matchup that we know about now on Saturday in Houston ten am. Start Canada taking on Morocco the group of sixteen. The Netherlands is out, Germany is out. Canada onto the group of sixteen? Who had that? And up next all this connuct news Ian McIntyre, our friend from Sportsnet sportsnet dot ca. I is next.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for.
Speaker 4: Tuning in, folks. Donnia Dolly the team on check.
Speaker 6: Donnie and Dolly the team is supported by Able Auctions dot CA closing your business, we can help.
Speaker 4: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions.
Speaker 5: To industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 4: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold, please email sales at able auctions dot Ca. Do's sales at a b l E Auctions dot Ca. Tuesday and all of our guests today brought to you by our title sponsor Able Auctions able Auctions dot Ca and those guests included Ian McIntyre covering the Canucks for sports Net Sportsnet dot c A. We're getting a lot of this. This is from Dan, the salesman. In the baseline inbox. It's clear you guys have never been rafting.
Speaker 1: I have it. That's the rafting company's bus to take you up the river.
Speaker 4: It has nothing to do well other than the fact that Canucks prospects for in the bus is nothing.
Speaker 5: But it could be a school bus like a yellow bus on the outside, don't.
Speaker 1: We'll look into that and we'll get back to you.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, with the development camp going on in all sorts of news regarding O'Neil's Hoaglander and Brendan Gallagher, we bring in Ian McIntyre for sportsnetsportsnet dot Ca.
Speaker 1: Are you, sir.
Speaker 7: I'm doing well. I was just saying to Ryan off the air that I'm always impressed and amazed that you guys are able to fill your airtime to now from the end of the Canucks season. And I have no idea what exactly you were talking about with school buses and rafting, but this is how this is how the pros do.
Speaker 1: It exactly, So whatever it takes, whatever, Now.
Speaker 7: You guys must be as excited this week as all the school kids in BC were last week.
Speaker 4: Because this is our last week before summer. Is that what you're talking about?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yes, yes?
Speaker 7: Or is that a secret? Just crush your audience.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry everyone why. I think our audience is excited about us taking time off as well.
Speaker 1: So there there there.
Speaker 4: Is that okay, development camp going on in Atmosford. Yesterday they were rafting in chiliwac Okay, So that's hence the bus and the paddles and young men and helmets.
Speaker 7: But that's kind of that's kind of a high risk activity.
Speaker 1: No kidding, I never thought of that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, hopefully they didn't lose any prospects.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Hey, Ian on the ice with the kids. We know Alex Edler's going to be there. What are we going to hear about Manny Maholtz was coach staff?
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, I think I think there are some pieces in place, and you you probably know Ryan Johnson said yesterday he hopes that by the end of this week he'll he'll have an announcement. I think it may surprise when it is announced. It may surprise some people that there isn't I don't believe there's going to be like an experienced NHL coach, certainly not one who's been an NHL head coach. But I think the organization obviously has looked at at has looked at these things. You know, Ry, Ryan's a smart guy. You know, the Citians are smart guys. I think they just feel like where the team is in this rebuild, so much of the emphasis is going to be on player developments and teaching. So you're going to have I think you're going to have a staff that reflects that. I think you're going to have a lot of guys who are used to working with young players, used to working in player development and doing a lot of teaching and us. There's certainly going to be a need for that around the Canucks for the next two three four years, hopefully not for seven years like the Sharks and Anaheim. I'm going by their schedule for how long the rebuild took to make it back to the playoffs. Hopefully it's just three or four years. But obviously there's going to be a lot of inexperienced younger players who need to learn. I think the staff will reflect that.
Speaker 4: As long as that rebuild doesn't take fifty plus years.
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 4: Hey, Brent Brendan Poyd. Yeah, Brendan Gallagher A couple of things with him. First of all, any idea what the future's part of this is going to HAB's way if anything? And secondly, how much gas do you think is left in the tank for Brendan?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't know what the futures are, and we've seen in some recent cases the futures are nothing, So whatever the cost is going to be, it's negligible. I think Brendan probably still has some fuel in the tank. I know that he has the f fire in the belly. If I'm going to drop other cliches on live television, still has the fire in the belly because obviously it didn't sit well with him what happened, particularly in the playoffs in Montreal, you know, dressing for only three games. So he's highly motivated. But listen, even if the Canucks are getting the seven goal Brendan Gallagher for this season, he's still going to help them because we've talked so much about you know, culture and leadership, and the Canucks are just starting now to try to build the right kind of culture and Brendan will help that. I think it's a no risk move. I know that Evander Kine blew up in the Canucks faces last season. It's hard to think of two guys, even though they both played for the Vancouver Giants, it's hard to think of two guys who are more different in their approach than Evander and Brendan. So I think Brendan is going to help them. And if he helps a lot on the ice, well, the Canucks have another trade ship that they can move at the deadline. Brendan obviously has made it clear he wants to play beyond this season. So if he has a good season with the Canucks and he rebuilds some trade value, the Canucks could end up with an asset at the trade deadline. It could be a win win for Vancouver. But at minimum, he's a guy who's going to come in help their young players, help the dressing room, help the culture, and if he's the seven goal guy right now, the Canucks can afford to have that version of Brendan Gallagher on their team.
Speaker 5: Free agency tomorrow ian we know July first, as Brian Burke says, a lot of crazy contracts, but a lot of big names are off the list for tomorrow because they signed with the salary cap going up. What do you expect from the Canucks tomorrow when it comes to July first?
Speaker 7: I expect it to be pretty quiet, and I think the players that they announced will all be hit hitting Hockey dB, just to make sure we know we know who these guys are. They do need some bodies. They only got, you know, thirty six contracts. I think you know. The the transaction yesterday I found interesting because it wasn't just Gallagher in. It was it was Nils Hoglander out, And I like Nils a lot, but we know that he had he had struggled under basically every coach. He had to find that consistency and dependability in his game. And last week, I'm going to back up another step. Last week, Ryan Johnson said, sometimes even a little move changes the dynamics I'm paraphrasing, brings some energy, adds a little bit of excitement, and I think yesterday was a template for that. Like on the surface, if you're watching the Transaction Wire, especially if you're watching it from outside of Vancouver, Nils Hoglander out Brendan Gallagher and you kind of like, well whatever, But it's going to make a difference to their culture. And I think we're going to see in players that they add, whether it's tomorrow in free agency, whether they nibble away at the roster over the summer, which I expect them to do. Add a player here, sign a player there. I think we're going to see more of those those moves. I don't think we're going to see anything that takes remotely takes your breath away, but I do think they're going to look for more Brendan Gallaghers out there, guys who have some professionalism and character in tangrity leadership and obviously can still play a little bit and try and bring more guys into their room to support these young players that they have coming.
Speaker 5: What do you think of Ryan Johnson so far? You know, last Wednesday there was four trades in the NHL. Everybody in Vancouver, Oh, you got to make a trade. Why aren't the Canucks making trade? He waited five days later. He's going to be patient and it doesn't look like he's going to do any knee jerk reactions.
Speaker 1: What do you think of him so far?
Speaker 7: Well, I've liked Ryan Johnson for years and I said in a couple of these media appearances before they signed their GM that I thought he would be an excellent GM and I and I still do. But one thing I know about Ryan, and the same applies to Henrik and Daniel Sedine, is they're they're going to do what they say they're they're not You're right, They're not going to have any knee jerk reactions to things, and so I think it's important that we listen to what to what they're saying and what some of the things that Ryan has talked about is, you know, building this long term step by step, not taking shortcuts, not deviating from their plan or their vision, as he calls it. And in this first month or so, I think I think he has adhered to that. You know, I'm not sure what big trades people would like the Canucks to do. Obviously, you know, they've got to settle Ilias Petterson and what his future is, and there's other guys who are on long term. You know, ideally, it'd probably be better to find a new home for Jake Debrusk with where the Canucks are, I think Debrusk, you know, he's a twenty five goal scorer, but he's also five and a half million for the next five years, and I'm not sure Jake is happy. So yeah, you can look at at players and say, well, this would be better here, this would be better there. But Johnson also said last week this isn't a selloff, and I thought that was a hugely important message, and that's the first time we actually heard that. I would say they could have gotten that message out earlier, that yes, it's a rebuild, but it's not a sell off. That's not the approach they're taking. They're not just trying to dump all their players and have a hollowed out team of entirely of young experience in experienced prospects. That's not the way they're going to do it. I know a lot of people don't like that message, but that's the way Johnson and the cities are approaching this. So you know, there could still be and I would be surprised if we get to training camp next year and all these veterans who are on the team now are still on the team. I think there will be another couple of transactions, but it's not a sell off. They're not just they can't afford just to give players away. Yes, you can trade Jake debrask and take back maybe something fairly modest because you're getting rid of that contract. But they're not shedding Ilias Petterson just to be rid of him.
Speaker 4: They can't do that.
Speaker 7: He's still a fifty to sixty point guy. He's a guy who doesn't hurt them in the dressing room. He's a very enigmatic player, but he's not a bad person and he's not hindering. He's not yelling at the prospects, so he's not a guy that you need to just dump from your dressing room in order to move forward. And they're not going to trade Elias Petterson unless they get a return that they can live with. It's not it. I think it would be naive to think it would be a return that people say, well that was The Canucks are going to be better just talent wise without Elius Petterson's probably not going to be that. They're still to make that deal. You're going to be giving up something just to be rid of the contract. But they can't just give them away. They need they need something good in return. And you know, I don't think there's a lot of teams out there, you know, lying up to make big bids for Ilias Petterson. So in the meantime, Ryan Johnson and the Sedines they'll they'll wait and they'll continue to to watch the market. And you know how hard all those guys works, as most gms do. You kind of have to in this league. Patrick Alvin was one of the hardest working guys I ever saw. But yeah, there's not going to be fireworks. It's little sparks here and there.
Speaker 1: Are you enjoying the World Cup? Yeah?
Speaker 7: I am enjoying the World Cup, but it drives me nuts these penalty shootouts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, just we talked, I agree just as.
Speaker 7: With the NHL, like for decades now, basically since they brought in a single point for losing an Overhamit. My my beef has been they have to have three points for a win, and nobody's listening to me. But in soccer, my beef is you can't settle huge games on penalty shootouts. And what they should do is when they get to extra time, first ten minutes you go down to ten. Yes, next ten minutes you go down to nine. Third ten minutes you go down to eight. And the argument from from FIFA, which changes about as fast as well, probably less fast than glaciers are changing these days, but their argument has always been, well, the game is too demanding. You'll have players literally die on the field if you ask them to play that long perfect Maybe in some cases it's hard to tell. It looks like a lot of them are dying already.
Speaker 4: Well I don't, I don't, I don't mean literally dying. But if they're tired, they make mistakes, and mistakes lead the chances, which leads to entertainment.
Speaker 7: Is nothing, right, but you can you can also just add more substitutions. Guys like they've all right finally after decades, they've gone from three to five substitutions. You could you could add another for each stage of that overtime or extra time as they say in footy and and so in theory. By the end of it, if you're playing eight on eight, you've got eight fresh guys on the field. Though I think teams would keep the goalie and go with seven fresh runners. But it would be a far far better way, and I think it would have pretty much the same effect as four on four and then three on three overtime, and hockey has of settling games. We'd at least get to see a real goal to settle these games. It's been great, it's been great the tournament Canada.
Speaker 4: What can you say, and you're wrong, by the way, Ian, everybody listens to you. Oh they might not act afterwards, but everybody listens to you. Certainly today, this is the last time we're going to have you on the show or our season ends on Thursday.
Speaker 1: So thanks for all your help. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 7: Well, thank you for having me on, and good for you guys for having another fantastic season. The Canucks may have sucked, but you guys were great.
Speaker 4: Oh oh thanks. I summer.
Speaker 1: See you guys, Ian McIntyre.
Speaker 4: First Sportsnet Dot c A. We're a little behind here, Let's take a break. Cannadabill play Morocco on Saturday. Here to talk about it. Next segment, our World Cup Analyst Paul Dolan, Donnie.
Speaker 1: Do Only the team on check.
Speaker 4: Looking for the ultimate Vancouver Island getaway. Head to beautiful Parks Bill and experience the Bayside ocean Front resort, where every stay feels like a vacation you'll never forget. From sunrise walks on the beach to sunsets on the patio, Bayside puts you steps from the sad, with ocean views in every direction, splashing the indoor and outdoor pools, hit the fitness center, then relaxed with a hand crafted cocktail at the ocean Front restaurant and lounge. Whether it's date night, a family trip, or a corporate event, Bayside is your perfect year round escape. Book your getaway now at two five oz two four eight eight tiple three. Your Island adventure starts here. All of our guests today, including Paul Dolan, World Cup Analyst, standing by brought to you by Able Auctions, Able Auctions Dot c A.
Speaker 1: He joined us yesterday.
Speaker 4: He joins us today now that we know Canada's Round of sixteen matchup from Apple TV don and Donny World Cup analyst Paul Dolan, Paul, thanks for doing this, sir.
Speaker 1: Are you.
Speaker 8: Sicking me yet?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, no, not me absolutely yeah. And we've been informed you're doing this hit for free, so that helps us. So Morocco defeats the Netherlands three to two on penalties, it will be Canada versus Morocco. And we saw that matchup in twenty twenty two and a Qatar Round of sixteen Saturday in Houston. Before we get to that matchup Germany Paraguay. Same thing. Penalty kicks, Paul. I know we've probably talked about this before. We talked about in the previous second segment with Ian.
Speaker 1: Is there not going to be?
Speaker 4: Is there not a better way to decide big World Cup, big international matches and we're talking about the world's most popular sport. Is there not a better way to do it?
Speaker 8: I remember this about you, Donnie. You're really anti penalty kicks, and a lot of people are because it's not actually part of the ninety minute game or one hundred and twenty minute game.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 8: You have to look at the alternatives. And someone just mentioned an alternative to me today that I didn't I didn't hate, which was to have the penalty kicks right after ninety minutes, which would mean that over the course of the next thirty minutes, you knew which way you had to go, whether you had to press the issue or because what we're seeing oftentimes in the thirty minutes is teams afraid to lose and there's not enough attacking impetus and they just sit off, waiting the thirty minutes out so that they get to the penalty kicks. But how about the drama within it.
Speaker 1: I mean I didn't turn away.
Speaker 4: I didn't turn away. I watched the whole thing. The tension is unbelievable.
Speaker 8: It is, it is, and so I don't have a huge problem with it. I don't think you can go to the thirty five yard shootout. You cannot continue to play. I mean, the football will get even worse at that point. And with the turnaround in a tournament, it's just you could have games that go on another ninety plus minutes. So I understand, especially for television, you have to package it, so I'm fine with it, and I like the drama that comes with I will say this though, is that I'm really disappointed to see a team like Germany go out and rewarding a team like Paraguay that was just defending the whole game. To me, that's I didn't like the way that Paraguay played. Aside from Andrius Kubis, who was fantastic and always plays the same way, determined and physical but doesn't cross the line, I felt there was a few Paraguay and players that crossed the line in terms of diving and rolling around and hacking players down. I didn't like that type of play, but fair duce to them. In the end they get through. You know, there was four German players in the penalty kick shootout who said, nah, I don't fancy it, and that means that the center back who had scored that goal that was disallowed by the way and never should have been in my opinion, Yes, heaped up and you could see he smashed the ball over the net and had no confidence at all. So that was another storyline that was quite interesting.
Speaker 4: So those German players agree with.
Speaker 8: Me, then yeah, they don't want to do it.
Speaker 1: There you go. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: What do you know? All right, Well, I hope you know a lot because we're going to talk Canada Morocco.
Speaker 1: Now what sticks out when you look at this matchup?
Speaker 8: I'm worried for Canada, I really am. They of the two opponents are both great teams, the Netherlands and Morocco. I was kind of hoping that we would get Netherlands just for the marquee historical matchup of you know what, the Dutch have always brought to a World Cup, but the better team won that game. Morocco is so physically imposing. They're quick, they're skillful, they're determined. They play cohesively, just as they did in twenty twenty two when they went to the semifinals and they beat to Canada in that game too to one. There's about half the players from each team that will be returning. And if you remember, in that game, Canada actually did okay after falling behind two one. I think there are two nothing in that game and then Atakoobi got one back and then Atiba hits the crossbar in the dying moments that could have tied that game. But Canada did have the higher expected goals in that game. Because of the game state. I think you know they're pressing late in that match, but as an opponent, I don't know that they could have gotten a more difficult one truly, in terms of their these guys are beasts, you know they are. They fight for absolutely every end on the field, and I think Jesse Marsh has to change the technical game plan for Canada a little bit based on that. If we go as aggressively and try to shut down Roco tight in their own end like we've done against other teams, they're skillful enough to break out of that, and then with the space in behind it, they'll have to attack. Look out because they have some really dangerous quick forwards as well.
Speaker 5: Hey, Paul, watching last night on television the penalty kicks, you almost seem to think, hey, this is easy. It's a big net's a goalie to score. He should score. It looks easy on television, But can you take us through the mindset of a goaltender.
Speaker 1: What are you looking at the legs first? The ball?
Speaker 5: How are you approach a penalty shot? The legs, the which way he's kicking? I mean that Paul explained to him. What are you looking at when you're a goaltender.
Speaker 8: I'm looking at the cows and the thigh.
Speaker 1: Easy, which way is foot's going right? Left? Come on, Paul, help me.
Speaker 8: There is an element of picking up clues.
Speaker 1: Thank you there.
Speaker 8: Generally, and this you know, a lot has changed, maybe even since I played, where it was a little bit more straightforward. There's some really tricky players now it really is a mind game. Most of the goalkeepers will have a book is sometimes even taped to their water bottle about where this player shoots, generally, but then it does become a mind game of okay, well the shooter knows that the keeper knows, and then he goes the other way, and you go back and forth the clues that I used to I mean, it's as simple as if right footed kickers tend to like to come across the ball and shoot into the left corner. As you look at it, I don't think you can wait till the last minute. But keepers nowadays, much more so than when I played, too, really have to stay on the line. I think it's actually almost a benefit of the keeper now that he does have to stay on the line, because he's not giving up that side of the goal as quickly as we often saw in the past, but it's more about the mind game than it is anything that you see physically. As a clue I find.
Speaker 5: All right, what about the shocker Germany's out Paraguay in forty first ranked against the top ten ranked Germans. How surprising was that for.
Speaker 8: You going into the game? I would have said that was a big shock, because the US smashed Paraguay. For one, you know, credit to them for clinging to a man down situation against turkeya to shut them out and get themselves through essentially without result. But the better side going in you would have thought would be Germany based on rankings and quality of player. But I was disappointed with the way that Germany didn't take advantage of some of those so called skill players. They had no ideas, they couldn't break down Paraguay and it's a disappointment to see them go. But in some respects, even the one of their top players, Joshua Kimmich, said, we didn't do enough to win this game, and we didn't deserve to win it. So as upset as I am to see the big guys go out, like the Netherlands and obviously Germany in this case, and Brazil was minute away from having to go the extra time and possibly penalties as well. It's a good story to see that. It seems as if the lower ranked teams are learning about ways to compete with these top ranked teams. And I think, you know, we'll see that maybe again with Capt Verdie playing against Argentina. That would be a massive upset, of course, but it's not like the old days where minos so called minos would get smashed by the big teams. Most of the games are really close now.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Absolutely, and it's a good omen for Canada. Paraguay beats to Germany, but forty first ranked team knocking off a giant, as Jesse Marsh would say, I think that's that bodes well maybe for Canada. Hey, Tolie, thanks, We will agree to disagree on how to end big matches on the international stage, but thanks so much for this. I'm not sure this is going to be your last tip, but thanks for helping us out.
Speaker 8: We will see what the World Cup final. If not, you bet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I made that promise yesterday and I'll stick do it, baby. Thanks, Thanks Dolly, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Canada Morocco Saturday.
Speaker 4: We thank Paul Dolan from Apple TV and Donnie and Donnie and Donny wild Cup analyst.
Speaker 1: Watling Dog poll.
Speaker 4: Question has to do with the Canucks as we take your left turn here, Walding Dog is opening early and is your spot for Canada's match against Morocco Saturday morning? Look at this, it's a new read. Oh, fresh off the presses. Catch the match live and loud on all twenty two TVs with full sound.
Speaker 1: Come sit and stay.
Speaker 5: At the dog Today, Rick Ryan got her up a waddling dog pop pole question. Do you agree with Ryan Johnson's decision to emphasize grit size and toughness when it comes to building the Canucks roster? Eighty seven percent say yes, thirteen percent say no. Canucks have been too easy to play against for several several years, Donnie and I want to see them address some toughness tomorrow. Get somebody to replace Curtis Douglas and go from there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Part of the development for their good young goaltenders, Rick, we understand is that they'll be looking at the shooter's legs.
Speaker 1: Stop it. Dolly knew what I meant.
Speaker 4: I think he did actually, which was stunning. Big right Twitter guy, Next Toney Dolly the team on check.
Speaker 5: Looking for one of Victoria's most iconic stays. The award winning Waddling Dog has been welcoming guests and their dogs for over thirty years. Ten minutes from the airport in the Ferry. Their rooms lend vented charm with modern comfort, making it the perfect home base for your island adventures. Your trip isn't complete without a stop at the legendary Waddling Dog. Pop twenty taps, wall the Wall, TVs every Canucks game and UFC pay per view, plus an extensive daily happy hour, and before you go stuck up at their cold beer wine store, hundreds of local and imported options, plus exclusive Donnie and Dolly merchandise. The Dog isn't just a hotel, It's a destination, come, sit and day.
Speaker 4: This is Braiden from Abbotsford Base side inboxes before we get to Big Rye Ricketts pronounced the hocus Pocus from Abbitsford.
Speaker 1: So what's Braden saying? He's having some fun? Oh, I see what you mean with the hocus His name Big Ryan?
Speaker 3: All right, Yeah, a significant news conference I think is just wrapped up. Guys in Surrey with Mayor Brenda Locke and also Vancouver Giants majority owner ron Toige, and that is the official announcement of this rumored ten thousand seat arena being built in Surrey. It's being built right across the street essentially from the Surrey Central skytrain station. I believe, on the plot of land. If you're familiar with the area where the old Safeway is, there's a Safeway. It's up the street from the Lions facility. The very very close. We got our first look at some renderings of the building. It's gonna be ten thousand seats. There's a rendering on the left for the hockey games and then rendering on the right for concerts. Expected to be completed by twenty thirty. That would be the giants first season in it. By the way, would be twenty twenty thirty thirty one. I guess it would be what the expectations are. It's very very interesting. I I I live in Wallet Grove, very close to the l e C. The LEC is an absolute beehive, like the amount of development in the last three years, even.
Speaker 1: The area around around it.
Speaker 3: Not only not only the building itself, because the LEC is just doubled. They've got a whole new expansion on the LEC building, but the condos, the towers, the townhouses, it's out of control.
Speaker 1: Of the LC and the Giants there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this the biggest and Toygo said today they're gonna go after the World Juniors. They're gonna go after the Memorial Cup.
Speaker 1: He has to those.
Speaker 3: Two things I don't think are feasible currently at the LEC. No, right, because of the size of the l EC.
Speaker 4: I'm a fan of the l e C. But I also understand this movie. The other thing, it's on the skytrain.
Speaker 3: Route, yep, and look at Surrey is on the verge of becoming our most populated city in the province. They're they're very, very close. They're just under the city of Vancouver at this point. It's gonna it's gonna be overtaken in a matter of time. And we know about this this skytrained expansion, so people in Langley are gonna be able to hop on a train and get right to this new new venue. The one thing I'll say this is no disrespect They've had their times up and down as a franchise. I don't know if you need a building that big for the current city of Vancouver. Giants.
Speaker 4: No, but what did he just say and I guess he did just say it. But playoff games, Memorial Cup.
Speaker 3: Okay, Memorial Cup is once every what five years. You're gonna get in these your renderings. It's it's it's gonna be entire complex. By the way, they're gonna have a hotel attached to it, maybe a casino. It's it's gonna be a massive and look at it's a massive development for that part of Surrey which needs it. It's it's awesome that they're putting something there. All that stuff. I just don't know if it fits ten thousand seats for the vancover giants with everything we have in this market. Man, you were becoming you're just Donnie. You guys go out the games. You tell me the.
Speaker 5: Last time full for anchis the London Nights have the same rink and they sell it out every night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, it's his job.
Speaker 5: Ron Toy goes because the last few your years he's got to get going and by the time this rink starts and if he's at the top of the standings, people will come that.
Speaker 1: That doesn't last long though, I.
Speaker 5: Know, because you're rotating the roster and the other thing you guys have mentioned is this kicks the BC lines out of their practice facility?
Speaker 1: Right? Is that correct? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know about the foot that's the thing.
Speaker 1: It's about a five acre plot.
Speaker 4: Of lands the Lions have, I believe to practice fields.
Speaker 3: Or it's the one attached the turf one sure.
Speaker 4: And I'm not sure what's owned by them, what's owned by this city. I'm not but I think the practice fields will be in jeopardy.
Speaker 1: I believe. Yeah, I do believe.
Speaker 4: That, and that I think the training facilities fine, but they might have to move as well. Keep in mind, Ryan, the Lions had a lot of lions. The Giants had a lot of success during their first few years, several years in the West, likely playing at the call the fifteen sixty thousand seep c of the Coliseum.
Speaker 3: Absolutely right, absolutely.
Speaker 4: And they were able to have a Memorial Cup there. Everything worked a lot of success on the ice eventually that work.
Speaker 1: I know there was a nostalgia.
Speaker 4: Factor there, but here you've got the transit factor, so I can I can understand the move. I just I think Leec with Ron Toygo, I think it might have surprised even him.
Speaker 1: It's been good.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think it's been really good.
Speaker 1: The atmosphere in there is really good. But they're thinking bigger here and don't ten thousand isn't fifteen thousand.
Speaker 4: It's not like the situation with the Lions of white Caps and BC place where the place is way too big.
Speaker 1: I think ten makes sense.
Speaker 3: Again, you're doubling it from what they're in right now?
Speaker 1: Well do you need that?
Speaker 3: And again outside of outside out of a memorial cop in the world Junior, because I'm sorry, that's not that shouldn't be because that's once every ten years, fifteen years, whatever. How are you for your home games? How is that gonna look?
Speaker 4: Okay? What about this? What about the possibility they're getting a better deal here?
Speaker 9: Well, I'm sure they will, I would hope so, because this whole thing they anchored just a bit of a pipe dream, right like there was no real reason to build it outside of you know, getting some kind of ten and they're getting with the giants.
Speaker 3: The other thing, Rick, what do you know about Chiliwac and the whl Like, what's going on there?
Speaker 5: It's something's wrong going out there, and though something wrong has gone, did they keep delaying it?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: People don't want to pay the fifteen million I don't believe for an expansion fee, which Penticton did, right, So I think the expansion money is a problem for a lot of people out in chili Wac. But the city, the city of Suri just built the rink, I believe, by the Patello Bridge.
Speaker 1: It did.
Speaker 5: Like what what where is that? I get that, But where is Surrey getting all this money from? Like I mean, I don't I don't get it. The old taxpayers, I get that, Donny, But also the old mayor wanted to build the sixty thousands you know stadium there for the McCallum.
Speaker 3: Doug McCallum.
Speaker 5: Doug McCallum, great guy, Doug, I remember Doug back in the day. But like, wait, where is Surrey getting up? Why are they getting all these big plans for stadiums?
Speaker 4: And Ry just said that there's a growing population, so the tax base out of Magine is pretty healthy.
Speaker 1: So are they the Surrey giants?
Speaker 3: Now that's a good question. I don't know if I Yeah, this is right now, Yeah.
Speaker 1: That that happens.
Speaker 4: So when you talk about concerts there, like like we're talking you know, older acts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would assume you're Abbotsford acts. You're gonna try and without hats, you're gonna try and poach them to go to Surrey. Now, but you've seen Zeezy talking.
Speaker 4: I don't know why this sicks out played at Abbotsford.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's probably all the best of them. Hopefully it works out. I just don't necessarily see it.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't necessarily think the Giants need anything bigger. Again for special events, yes they do, absolutely, but beyond that, I don't know. There's a lot of options in the Sparkle.
Speaker 4: They had issues with the l e C. As great as it is, not being part on the skytrain line.
Speaker 3: On parking has been an issue at that facility, and now if you have other things going on at the same time, is it going to become even.
Speaker 1: More to know?
Speaker 5: But good move by Ron toygo here, you watch, You'll build a good team there and when it starts up, it'll be good.
Speaker 3: It'll go see, I will say. And renderings and renderings, damn, they're impressive renderings though that whole thing looks pretty amazing.
Speaker 4: Giants what three players drafted earlierly in the absolutely.
Speaker 3: On the other side, Craig Button, TSN's director of scouting. He's going to put a bowl on the draft for us and the Canucks draft class. It's Donnie Dully, the team on Check.
Speaker 4: Hey everyone, it's Donnie Dully and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 5: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget as spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast, and on social media.
Speaker 4: We'd love to get involved with your company. Called two five to Oho eight eight oh twenty two eighty two or email advertise at Checkmedia dot ca. All of our guests today, including Craig Button, brought to you by Able Auctions, Ableauctions dot Ca, our title sponsor. Just before we get to Craig speaking of Able Auctions, July seventh, Able Auctions we'll sell I know you're excited about this record sheet metal fabrication shop including two acusher, twelve foot shears, an auto fold, duct forming line, truck, welders, and a lot more from this large shop July eighth. The next day, Able will sell the contents of the Coast Whostsale distribution center, including ten Toyota forklifts, oh Drive It to Work, Rick and all warehouse racking and equipment. For info in these two auctions go to Able Auctions dot ca A, b L eight Auctions dot c A. We recorded an interview with Craig Button TSN Scott he direct here before the show, and we started off the conversation with Craig by asking him about the Conducks' acquisition of Brendan Gallagher and the obvious question, which we do a lot of down here or over in this show, what's spreading going to add to the bank of for connection?
Speaker 10: You know, I was watching a clip of Tom Brady talking about great teammates and teammates that show up and are dependable and consistent and competitive. And Brendan isn't the same player he once was, but that dependability, consistency, competitiveness are something that's ingrained in him. And when you have young players and a team that's trying to find its way to being competitive and consistent and dependable, the more players you have like that. And this is not a long term thing with Brendan, but it's something that can have long term impact, the long term effects on younger players. So you got a player that in Brendan, who's just a wonderful person. And then you have those other elements, and I think at this stage for the Vancouver Canucks, it's just a fantastic addition. And you know, we know how happy Brendan is to be in Vancouver and how right it is for his family, and I think it's right for the Vancouver Canucks.
Speaker 4: So the other move that Canucks made yesterday was Nils Hoglander to Nashville twenty nineteen draft pick. Do you believe or do you have the belief that he can find his game with the Predators?
Speaker 10: Yeah, And I think the key phrase there is is find his game and what his game is. I never thought that Nils was going to be anything more than like a third line catalyst player. But you know, you sometimes think that you can score more, and then you're asked to score more, and then you do score a little bit more, and then you think that that's what your game is. And Nils has shown different aspects of game that can be valuable, and then we've seen these inconsistencies in his game that prevent him from being a contributor. So I think the key thing for Nils now is to find a sense of this is who I am and this is what I'm going to bring every single night. Jordan Martinook, who won the Stanley Cup with the Carolina Hurricanes, is a player that I think when you're younger, you're trying to show that you can do a whole lot of things. If you can do one, two, three things really really well and do them consistently, then you can be really valuable. And I think that's what Jordan Martinook was able to do for the Carolina Hurricanes. And I think if Nils just gets back to being a really good, quick, fast, stating, catalyst type player, create turnovers, make life uncomfortable for opponents, he can find a place where he can be valued and can find.
Speaker 11: That consistency, because it feels to me like Nils has always been trying to waiver. He's always waivered.
Speaker 10: And Okay, I'll score, Okay, I don't need to score a pay I'll check, Okay, I'll ard check. And he's never just said just do this. Here's your lane. Work within this lane, work within these parameters. You don't have to go outside the lanes.
Speaker 5: Stay right here, Craig, we have not talked to you about the draft yet.
Speaker 1: The Canucks draft.
Speaker 5: Your overall views on all their players they took and what kind of draft you thought Vancouver had?
Speaker 10: Oh, well, you know it's uh, it's an a plus for every team in the NHL.
Speaker 4: Yes, you know.
Speaker 10: The bottom line is is well, no, I say that tongue and sheet, okay, because one thing that I have no time for is anybody that wants to greater draft the day after a draft to say this team did well that.
Speaker 11: You don't even know how a team did.
Speaker 10: Every single team has put in tremendous work and effort to evaluate players, to watch players not over a week or two weeks or months, years and and and they discuss it, they debate it. They take in so much different information, and they come to the draft and when they're when they're faced with their pick or whatever that point is, they're trying to get the best player for their organization and they believe in those players.
Speaker 11: And that's what you need to do.
Speaker 10: And we're gonna find out in four or five years time who those players are that have turned out to be the best and who have developed. There's so much growth, there's so much what I would call incompleteness in these players games, and you've got to be patient with it. So I like what the Canucks did. I like what they're trying to do with respect to adding different players. And you can look through the draft and you can look at a big Brooks Rigowski.
Speaker 11: Yeah he's big, but he needs some refinement.
Speaker 10: We can look at Caleb Mahotra, he needs some patience to just continue along the path he's on. But every single team is drafting players that they believe have potential and we're.
Speaker 11: Gonna wait and see.
Speaker 10: So I think it's about being true to what you think your organization needs. I think that gets reflected in the players you draft and the types of players you have. But I think the biggest thing, and I'm like, this is really pointed, and anybody who does these stupid draft rankings the day after it's disrespectable to the scouts and the scouting departments that put in tremendous hours and effort the draft players that they think that potential will be good.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, Okay, July first tomorrow, things are changing, Craig. Teams are signing. The UFA's not letting them get to July first, especially centers. But anyways, there's just not a lot of big names available. You saw Tuck leave. He would have been a big name. What are your thoughts on July first, It's it's totally different.
Speaker 11: Well, it is.
Speaker 10: I mean a couple of things have occurred. I think that you know, with the certainty of the salary cap, I mean a year ago, you knew the next three years.
Speaker 11: You know it was ninety five hundred and four hundred and thirteen.
Speaker 10: So you have this certainty with what your parameters are with respect to signing players. You know how much it's going to go up, so you can account for that as you're trying to consider not only signing your young players, but signing your potential unrestricted free agents. So I think we've seen the landscape with respect to the salary cap, you know, dictating a lot of what's happening. Then you come to this point now where we're at with these free agents. I mean, I think that you get to a point where they like I'll just use Jacob Truba as an example.
Speaker 11: Jacob trub is thirty two years old.
Speaker 10: Do I think Jacob Truba has three maybe four years left in him?
Speaker 11: Yeah? I do.
Speaker 10: I mean at thirty six, he's not going to be as good at thirty three, but he's got to fit in. But what are you going to do to try to get a player what we see continuously happen. It's the term. Like I'll use Chris Tanna, who I absolutely love. They signed him to a six year contract that you know, to keep the AAV down. And now you have a player that we know, when he's healthy can play. He's thirty six years old. He's just not going to be able to play the same way. And now you have this player that because of the term and okay, yeah, maybe you have long term injury reserve and you put him there and he is not able to finish his career. Alex Petangelo, that's a different scenario. I think you've got to be really prudent and with respect to term, you know it's gonna cost you certain amount of dollars, and when we know what the salary cap is, you can manage through that.
Speaker 11: But I think that you don't want to end up with players on your.
Speaker 10: Team that are that can't perform as you go through because it just becomes something that becomes an extra area that you got to deal with and manage. And I think if you manage it ahead of time, you'll be far better off than trying to manage it after the fact. And again there's players that can come in and help you better fit them in in the right area. Like Ratco Gudas got signed by Anaheim a couple of years ago. It was a three year deal. That's exactly the type of deal for that type of I'm not saying Ratto right now, but Ratto back then, that was exactly the right deal for Ratco. You know, he helps Anaheim moves them along, and now at this point in time, Anaheim moves them along, says okay, thank you, everything done, you're a free agent again. I think it's that type of signing, that type of term the teams better be looking at.
Speaker 1: Hey, Craig Don Withdell got a feel for him.
Speaker 5: I mean a few weeks ago, he had no idea that Wrensky wants out and Marchenko wants out. And for a market like that, to be forced to trade two guys like that, wow, Wow.
Speaker 11: It is a wow.
Speaker 10: And it would be too easy for me to sit here and say, okay, jeez, Don with well, you know, do your job, try to show them you have a you have a commitment and they have a chance to win there.
Speaker 11: That would be too easy. It feels like low hanging fruit. Rick.
Speaker 10: I think from an organizational point of view, it you have to you have to take a really good, long, hard look. Okay, what can we do as an organization to to not only have players love playing here, but to allow them to compete to win? The top players all want to compete to win, and we want those players. And when you when you find yourself in a spot where the players are looking and going teez, I'm not so sure I can win here. I'm a competitor. And then we say, well, the players are getting too much power. We want competitive players, we want players that don't take losing lightly. And Dylan Larkin, who grew up in Michigan, has played his entire career in Michigan Captain and Detroit Red Wings saying I don't want to play in Michigan. No, he's saying that I'm a competitor and I'm looking right now and I'm not so sure that I see a future here where we can win and where we can be competitive. And I think that that And so are we going to say that Detroit is a bad place, or Columbus is a bad place, or it's incumbent upon organizations to make not only what they have really a pleasing place to play, a place where players are valued, but to create an environment where they have a chance to win. Nobody went to Florida for twenty years. Now everybody wants to go to Florida because they win. So it's not about where you are or what you are, it's about the environment you create. And I'm talking specifically about competitive environment because the good players and that's what everybody wants. And competitive players, they want a chance to win.
Speaker 4: Craig back to the draft for one second, and I'm a little afraid to ask you this question given what you said earlier about projecting into hide of the future with the draft, but I will Caleb maholtra We focus a lot on what he does well, and you know, what is his relationship with his father going to be like? But what are the aspects and when we're talking about somebody taking third overall people in Vancouver.
Speaker 1: Are very excited about him.
Speaker 4: What are the aspects of the game that he needs to improve? What does he need to work on?
Speaker 10: Okay, so the first thing with that DOS is you have to be patient with the development process. Everybody has a different timeline and we're going to bring this up here and you guys know this very well. A couple of years back, the Vancouver Canucks drafted Plimovich Vaniela Knovich and there was all this, wow, look at what they got in the second round. Oh geez, looking, No, when you dragged somebody in the second round, you believe in his capabilities, what do they do? They put them in the American Hockey He didn't fail. He was failed, that's my take on it, because he couldn't play in the American Hockey League. He wasn't ready to play in the American Hockey League. And now you hurt his development because now he doesn't he's not able to develop.
Speaker 11: The things that you drafted him for.
Speaker 10: Gaining confidence in his scoring, being an offensive player, letting the body mature so that as you become stronger, you know, you can become more assertive and that allows.
Speaker 11: You to be better.
Speaker 10: Good luck trying to do that at the American High League at eighteen years a good luck. And so to me, that is a case of the first thing is everybody has a different path. But you start putting players way like put them in deep water, way above their head where the waves are crashing over their heads and they're just trying to come up for air, to just stay alive. That's not development. So as it relates to Caleb, Caleb's been patient. He went to the BC Hockey League as a six year old. He's always going to go to the university route. We saw the landscape and the NCAA change so we could go over to Brantford. He's now going to be you. Here's my suggestion for Caleb maholtrure is that you've been patient with your development. You've moved along here, You're going to be you for a year. Let's wait and see what holds next summer. Let's see what you've done in your first year at Boston University. If you go to Boston University and you dominate and you're one of the best players in college hockey, well we can have the discussion about turning pro. But if it's still a matter of development and growing, well, then a second year at Boston University isn't going to hurt you, just like it didn't hurt Cale mccarr or Quinn Hughes.
Speaker 11: They were players that went back for the second year.
Speaker 10: Both those players were I don't want to say encouraged, but were pursued to leave college after their freshman seasons.
Speaker 11: They both went back. So what did they do?
Speaker 10: Hoby Baker finalists and then they come into the league and they're they're called a Trophy finalists. And that's what I mean about being ready. If you're not ready for the NHL, it will chew you up and spitch you out like nothing. And so for me, I'm gonna add this layer for the Vancouver Knuts and Caleb Mahotra. If you're not ready to come to the NHL when you get pushed there a little bit sooner, well, now the questions abound, well why did we do it?
Speaker 8: Take him?
Speaker 11: Is he ready?
Speaker 10: And and and again all that factor about development and where a player is at doesn't help the player.
Speaker 11: It hurts the player.
Speaker 10: So to me, I'm watching really closely, and if he needs a second year, it be you. I'm gonna say, go back to be you and play a second year there and come to the NHL.
Speaker 1: Ready.
Speaker 4: Uh, trivia for you, Craig Danilla come as his agent Rick Dollywall. Just so you know, Daniel Milstein, he's been going on ahead. Meanwhile, Craig, this is this is our last time with you for this season of Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 1: We can't thank you enough. You're an important part of our show, very important.
Speaker 11: Well, you're an important part of my Tuesdays.
Speaker 4: So we'll work on the rest of the week for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Craig, thanks for thanks for this. Appreciate it. Thanks our thanks to Craig button Tsen, scouting director. For one last time during this D and D season, he mentioned Jordan Martin. We talked about Brandon Gallagher, former Vancouver Giant, Jordan Martino, former Vancouver Giant. Funny moment during the draft first round of the draft on Friday, Jordan was supposed to announce the Carolina Hurricanes first round draft pick thirty first overall. They traded it.
Speaker 4: I believe it was to Nashville and they cut to Jordan. You look, you look kind of upset. It was pretty it was, but in a funny way. Yeah, pretty humorous. Okay, break and up next we'll check out the Wadling Dog up poll questions, see how it's doing.
Speaker 1: Donnie Dellay the team.
Speaker 6: Check Dollie and Dollie. The team is supported by Ableauctions dot CA closing your business we can help.
Speaker 4: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner.
Speaker 5: Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories, or any.
Speaker 1: Other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 4: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able auctions dot ca. Do't sales at ABLA Auctions dot ca. As Canucks Development Camp gets underway, an atmosphere to Wadling Dog poll Querston the Dog opening early and is your spot for Canadi's match against Morocco Saturday morning, game time ten am. Catch the match live on all twenty two TVs with full sound. They don't mess around at the Dog. Come sit and stay at the Wattling Dog today.
Speaker 5: Rick, All right, here we go the Watling Dog pop pole. Question it is, do you agree with Ryan Johnson's decision emphasize grit, size and toughness when it comes to building that Canucks roster? Eighty six percent say yes, fourteen percent say no. Go get some toughness tomorrow on that July first free agent market, and some Canadian guys too. Douglas has gone Joseph Piers gone Donnie's. That brings the Canadian number of Canadians on the Canucks.
Speaker 1: Way down Gallagher. They got them their Gallagher they got but they lost.
Speaker 4: Well, it's good that they're interested in New Jersey native Connor Clifton.
Speaker 1: Then no, but he's a defenseman. They need veteran d Okay.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, we talked about development camp going on in Atmosford. Earlier in the show we had shots of the kids, the kids at the development camp with the Canucks on their way to doing some rowing, some paddling on the Veteran River. Today we got this shot development camp on the ice underway. It's a three day camp. He got the shot of Alex Edler was helping helping out there.
Speaker 1: Have we seen this shot of him before? Well, miss missing a tooth?
Speaker 5: Well, he's retired. How did he get the missing tooth?
Speaker 1: Well, a lot of theories there.
Speaker 4: I'm going to guess this is from his hockey days though, Just so.
Speaker 1: You're saying dental work after retirement.
Speaker 4: Well, apparently he didn't get it, or he did he he might have one of those, you know, like b xit.
Speaker 3: I think he's got the pop up right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right? Or Bridge is that what you call it.
Speaker 5: Is that, Yeah, I think that we didn't see this look when he played, but now he's retired, we see this.
Speaker 1: He looks like a tough guy.
Speaker 4: But on the ice helping out the Canucks kids at development camp. And again many Maultra yet or Ryan Johnson yet to announce Manny Maltra's coaching staff, but Alex Edler helping out on the ice. Meanwhile, speaking of Ryan Johnson, we're going to say something.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna say. So is Jen Gardner of the Vancouver Gold She's on the right now, is absolutely yep.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, speaking of Ryan Johnson, Connects general manager yesterday made it official acquiring Brendan Gallagher from the Montreal Canadians for futures. Here is Ryan Johnson from a press conference yesterday, a zoom call yesterday with the media. Ryan Johnson on acquiring former Vancouver Giant Brendan Gallagher.
Speaker 12: In general, for me, it's enticing any time somebody really wants to be in your organization. It's hard not to love the idea of it. Then, when you look at someone like Brendan with his experience, the passion that he plays the game with where we are at as a group, like I feel, Brendan feels like he's got a lot of hockey left in him and a lot to prove off of maybe a little bit of a frustrating year for him. I think he's going to come in here kicking and screaming, going to be very great. You hear me talk a lot about professionalism and quality a teammate. I mean, is there anybody that checks the box more than this guy? So my discussion with him this morning, he is ecstatic. We are over the moon to have him. He's talking about just doing anything he can to help where we are at and help us grow.
Speaker 8: And I think the.
Speaker 12: Common word he kept unusing was built. And that's what we're doing here is trying to build something, an environment that is strong and that is sustainable, and he's going to be a massive piece of that.
Speaker 4: So on top of getting a real motivated player because of what happened last year in Montreal, all the healthy scratches in the playoffs and the first time he was a healthy scratch going back to the regular season two he was a scratch I believe in March and in April, first time since he was a rookie motivated player just seven goals, one goal the playoffs and just three games one where he left this countryt Ricky has said, Brandon said he wants to play another year, so extra motivation for him.
Speaker 5: Well, he's almost at a thousand games, Donnie, So you know that's that's I think he wants to play enough to get that thousand game. He's going to be not in the high nine hundreds after next year.
Speaker 4: Also, the NBA news Lebron by the way, he switched gears here for a second, Lebron announcing he's not going to be back with the LA Lakers next season. I'm surprised he's not going to want to join the Knicks, but apparently on the verge of hooking up with the Golden State Warriors.
Speaker 3: So that was one report. We just know he's heading to free agency. Yeah, might go back to.
Speaker 1: Cleveland, but the story right, yeah for a third time.
Speaker 3: I mean that's that's a possibility too.
Speaker 4: But there's that story that he's going to For some reason. I just not excited about him going to Golden Stack.
Speaker 5: God, how old is he fifty? Like what this guy just he keeps going like the energizer buddy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, then the at the very least had a pretty good year last year. At the very least, he'll sell tickets forty one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: There's question too, like what happens with this kid?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: He spends hundreds of thousands of dollars on fitness every year too. Yeah, that's why he keeps going.
Speaker 3: What's the thing? He soaks himself in red wine?
Speaker 5: The water that heat, shauna all that stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, infrared.
Speaker 1: I haven't heard the red wines.
Speaker 3: Yeah, apparently bathes in red wine.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have to try that. Bathes in red wine.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, in the tub, yeah, like you know, one of those big tubs, like the cold tubs. Apparently soaks himself in red wine.
Speaker 1: What else would he do? Is that not expensive? Yeah? Say yes?
Speaker 4: Is it like I think he's got that?
Speaker 1: Would it be cheap wine or expensive wine?
Speaker 3: Does make a difference, that's a good question.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 4: If it was me cheap you could go cheap wine. I can't tell the difference between tom wine experts. I have no palate. Wine is wine like in the movies Sideways?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Business, all right, here we go.
Speaker 5: The world has arrived in Vancouver and pastime sports and games as you cover. Wha, let's go stop it? What what do you want me to do? Dance on the table. When it comes to jersey scarves, another collectible celebrating the beautiful game, There's never been a bigger time to show off your team colors led by Canada's OHS Country. You may also want to honor your favorites in Europe, South America, Asia or Africa. For information at store locations, visit Pastime sports Dot laptop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in front of the laptop pinnin American sticker cards. In the middle is the early Holland pop figurine Norway playing at the moment. Yeah and uh. On the far left, he was at pastime. Man, all of these guys. People talk about the Bisonde curse? What about the pastime curse? Who is that news hoglander signed card?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I don't think Nills will be doing another pastime signing.
Speaker 4: Nothing against ours.
Speaker 3: Oh, get down to Pastime see that again, Get those autographs before the guys.
Speaker 5: He goes, we love Basade, We love Pastime?
Speaker 4: Is that him worrying number thirty six?
Speaker 1: Yes that night? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, better known for wearing number twenty one, but he started out wearing.
Speaker 1: Yannick Cass I remember that. Yeah, DTMG. Next Tony, they'll have the team on check.
Speaker 4: Remember that dead electric leaf blower in the garage, still hoping it'll come back to life.
Speaker 5: Ope I see is BC's recycling program for battery powered and electric outdoor power equipment.
Speaker 4: Just like other electronics, electric lawn and garden equipment can also be recycled when it reaches the end of its useful life.
Speaker 5: Old electric yard tools don't have to end up in the landfill. If you're electric outdoor power equipment cap be fixed, it could be recycled.
Speaker 4: Whether it's a leaf blower, trimmer, or lawnmower.
Speaker 1: Many can be recycled for free in BC.
Speaker 4: Visit opeic dot CA to find a depot near you and recycle responsibly.
Speaker 1: That's ope I see dot CA.
Speaker 5: It's a thirty three on a Tuesday morning. Donnie, don'ty on check TV. Now time for DTMZ, brought to you by the world famous Whisler Golf Club. Go see Big Al out there at Great Track. Great Track.
Speaker 4: DTMZ brought to you by the Arnold Palmer Design was their golf club where Phase three of their golf course renovation is now underway. The golf course will reopen for play in the summer of twenty twenty seven. New greens are being built, new irrigation sodding. For the latest updates on the rent, I'll follow them on Instagram at Whistler Golf and don't forget their pro shop and driving range are open during the summer. You always hear about this sort of thing during big soccer events, in this case the twenty twenty six World Cup Mexico City. And keep in mind that Mexico is playing Ecuador today round of thirty two. So Mexican soccer fans have gathered outside or probably gathered outside Ecuador's team hotel early Tuesday morning, in other words, last night. And here here's an example of that. There you go, we got the guy the drum kit.
Speaker 1: Did we see that? No, that's offside. That that's offside. But you always hear about it.
Speaker 4: Look, you know, I know social media things are accessible. I by the way, look at this. This This was the is the players looking.
Speaker 1: Out at the at the crowd.
Speaker 4: But there are hundreds, maybe thousands of people out there. Whatever it takes up, Mexico goes into this game ranked ninth in the world. Ecuador at twenty fourth but you're right. Whatever it takes a.
Speaker 5: Little offside, offside. Now they've got to go out and buy your muffs. Ecuador, they're not going to sleep in this time. You've been in hotels. You can't do that.
Speaker 4: Or maybe they'll be more inspired pissed off, and it'll help them against Mexico.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 5: It sleeps some important he's seven to nine hours done. They're not getting it well, but these guys aren't.
Speaker 1: They're not.
Speaker 4: But whatever it takes off side. But you know you've heard about that. I mean some of the things like Canada would play a game down in Mexico City and they'd start the game at high noon when it was super hot. Whatever, it takes a little edge. Hey, they're passionate down there. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. What you got for birthdays? Well, we got a ton Ryan get her up by.
Speaker 5: The music and the sponsor Donni and Dali's a backscratchers and dental flossimporium and ball zach Alberta.
Speaker 1: Here we go, Ryan music. I can't hear it. Okay there, okay.
Speaker 4: Here we go.
Speaker 1: This guy was a third round pick?
Speaker 3: Was it not playing the whole time it was playing?
Speaker 5: I'm like those Ecuador guys, I yeah, I didn't get enough sleep last night. Okay, here we go. Third round pick of the Islanders in nineteen ninety one. When he was called up to the end HL backed up Ron Heckstall neteen ninety three.
Speaker 1: He was shaky with you. I forget that Ron Heckstall played for the Island.
Speaker 5: Exactly all we remember of Hextall is the Flyers and those remember he took him to the finals against Edmonton. This guy was shaky with the Islanders. However, he did win seventeen games in three years. He ended up in nineteen ninety seven with the Blues.
Speaker 1: Back up.
Speaker 5: That year he was awarded the Bill Mastered and Memorial Trophy in the NHL. Would end up in Minnesota in the expansion Draft. Finally he became a starter in Calgary, but that didn't last long because Mika Kippersoff showed up. Traded to the Rangers, then to Florida, back to Calgary in two thousand and six to back up Kippersoff again.
Speaker 1: I'm you, Are you too serious? Are you too serious?
Speaker 4: Is it a friend of the show.
Speaker 5: It's a friend of the show, Jamie McClellan, He's I can't believe you didn't get that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm you know, have you mispronounced his name?
Speaker 5: Kippersoft in Calgary? He went there tight, Sutter loved him. Sutter loved him. Okay, Frank, Hello to Noodles. Yeah, Noodle's happy birthday. This guy was an eleventh around pick of the Rangers, eleventh round, eleventh pound. I said, eleventh round pick of the Rangers in nineteen seven. Eleventh round pick of the Rangers in seventy Rangers drafted at a Northern Michigan University nineteen eighty one. Played under new head coach Herb Brooks. Started the season split in time with John Davison and Eddie Meal another goalie.
Speaker 1: Yeah you remember Eddie Meal?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Eddiemeal? If I'm not mistaken. Was Wayne Gretzky's best man at his wedding?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, Eddie Mio was? Eddie Mio was?
Speaker 3: Does Wayne not have a brother?
Speaker 1: You don't always pick your brother, do you?
Speaker 3: I think you pretty much have to.
Speaker 1: No, you don't know, you don't be best best man's are not always brothers.
Speaker 3: So the best man your brother is in your wedding party. But now your best man?
Speaker 1: I did you wake up yesterday?
Speaker 3: Okay, go ahead, I.
Speaker 5: Forgot the best man story. Listen, this guy's playing time decreased. In nineteen eighty two, Rangers went out and traded for Glenn Hanlin, who became MEO's primary back Garrett Huh Carrott, No, Carrott was OHI oh Glenn Hanlin? Yeah, that's right, Carrot. He was traded to the Whalers, where he backed up Greg Millon. Then Mike Leute. Oh, Mike Leute. I love Mike Leute. He bounced around nineteen eighty eight, traded to the Canucks, would play thirty five games in Vancouver.
Speaker 3: Who did he get traded for?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: Was it Richard Berdure?
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, Steve Weeks. Steve Weeks, I remember the trade. Steve Weeks Vancouver. Uh, you're right, it's Steve wa I.
Speaker 4: Remember we got him packing his bags and then he got trades. We got Burder pack at his bag and then the Canucks traded him for remember this cash consideration?
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 5: In nineteen ninety one, Pac Quinn got him him traded a Buffalo.
Speaker 1: Okay, here we go.
Speaker 5: This boxer won his first nineteen professional fights by knockout twelve of them round one. As an amateur, he won gold medals at the nineteen eighty one and eighty two Junior Olympic Games. Ranked sixteenth all time, Greatest puncher of all time at ranked sixteenth by nineteenth.
Speaker 1: Okay, he's gotta be Mike Tyson. That's Mike Tyson.
Speaker 5: I can't do anything about it. If you have, you read Mike Tyson's book, I have, I haven't good. It's a really good book. It's really good. He was great in Hangover. It really good and Hangover with the Tigers and everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was good. Oh yeah, that's right. Yeah, yeah, it was really good. Okay, last one.
Speaker 5: This shortstop played seven for seven teams in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 1: Five time All Star.
Speaker 5: Known for his defensive skills, he won four consecutive Gold Glove Awards from eighty six to eighty nine, batted over three hundred and four times, led the major leagues with seventeen triples in nineteen ninety, led the American League shortstops all of them. He played for that just some Getting to that, he became a full time player with the Blue Jays in eighty five. Oh oh, that Blue Jays eighty five team. So good anyways, George Bell, No, No, it wasn't name.
Speaker 4: He wasn't a short stop stop Dan was Was it Tony Fernandez?
Speaker 5: Tony Fernandez? Yep, absolutely, And you know what.
Speaker 4: Kind of had that side arm throw?
Speaker 5: Oh, Tony Fernandez was great part of some really good Blue Jay teams in the early eighties.
Speaker 4: Yes, it is Tony Fernandez. We're good, Yeah, I mean we're good. Finally Puberty's kicking in. Andy Scott, good call, seventy seven years old. This is a long introduction here, lead guitarist for the Welsh band That's gonna play us out these guys Underrated, one of b max's favorite bands from January nineteen seventy eight and the album Level Headed. Oh yeah, this is sweet and love is like oxygen on check Sports Talk glam Rock on a BC Tuesday Morning.
Speaker 1: Is it just me? You know what it mixed?
Speaker 13: The BC Construction Safety Alliance is a not for profit association that makes safety simpler by providing health and safety services and programs to more than fifty seven thousand construction employers and two hundred and twenty thousand workers across the province. We want to bring the BCCSA safety message directly to your job site. Book a free visit from the BCCSA Safety on Tour Mobile Trailer Safety on Tours instructor guides your workers through a series of dynamic safety demonstrations, from the effectiveness of fall arrest systems to the power of proper head protection at now to book a memorable safety on Tour experience at Safetyontour dot Ca.
Speaker 4: Is it just being brought to you by OPEIC Outdoor Power Equipment Institute of Canada. Did you know you can recycle electric lawn and guard equipment for free? OPEIC operates a province wide network cycling depots to ensure old electric outdoor power equipment gets collected and recycled responsibly. Visit O P e I C dot CA to get more info. That's oh p e I see dot c A.
Speaker 3: Is it just me?
Speaker 1: Rick Whi's athletees work Ethic?
Speaker 5: Is don le fond of Doyle Brunton front Ellis Peterson Sheldon from Surrey? Who you least fond of work?
Speaker 4: Doyle's got a pretty good excuse or had a pretty good excuse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Boy, that's going back into the archives. Oil Bronson Poker Champion. For people that don't know, check out YouTube.
Speaker 1: It's been there for a long time. Absolutely. Okay, what else? I'm a little behind here.
Speaker 5: Uh that's right here, look at this, uh Steven little River Coomaks. Would it be crazy if the Canucks put the sea on Brenda Gallagher's jersey this year? I don't think it'd be crazy, but I think with him just one year left on his deal and the future not yes certain.
Speaker 4: And you know Brennan is a type of player, so a person that's he's so humble. Yeah, just coming into that dressingroom being the captain, it would it would be messy like he wouldn't He wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he wouldn't do that Yukon Spencer. Is it just me?
Speaker 4: Or is it nice to see the Canock's prospects rafting since the team's been up a creek without.
Speaker 1: A paddle for something? Now? Ah, Who's who said that?
Speaker 5: You can't spencer? You cant spencer? Submission of the day up the creek without a paddle? We've all used that term Brandon and new West.
Speaker 1: Is it just me?
Speaker 4: But imagine deciding to stand outside of a hotel all night making noise.
Speaker 1: Better off to.
Speaker 4: Just stay home and sit in a tub full of red wine. I think Brendan might be the submission of the day.
Speaker 1: But would the red wine not be sticky? Like you don't I've never done it. Don you get wine stains all the time? You know how they are?
Speaker 4: I do not get wine stains all the time.
Speaker 5: The red wine is popular because of it's got reservoir anyways, that it's it's that's why red wine people like it.
Speaker 1: Have you just had some red wine?
Speaker 5: Not it's a resiv I can't pronounce the word, but you know what it is. It's it's it's it's something in red wine.
Speaker 1: Try saying it after drinking a bottle. What do you go, New SJ.
Speaker 5: Do you guys think the teams will now overpay players not to take a no move clause? You know what no move clauses? Canuckscott seven of them, and you know people complain about not enough trades. Moving a guy with the no move clause is not fun.
Speaker 1: It's not fun.
Speaker 4: And now they're talking whenever the new CBA comes around. I'm not sure what when this one, the current one expires. You know, the two sides, everything's honky door, they're all they're all getting along.
Speaker 1: With each other.
Speaker 4: But the no move clause there might be a change with them. Some restrictions in the next CBA. That's what the owner's.
Speaker 5: Side causing headaches right now. It makes it tough to move these guys.
Speaker 4: This is Carpenter from chiliwac Is it just me? Langley is getting skytrained. The Surrey new arena is by skytrain. Surrey is more central to all major suburbs. The BC Lions should well, he says, the bast Line should move to Surrey as well. I guess he's talking about a stadium to replace BC Place. The Allion's practice facility is already at BC Place. Things are changing. Surrey is certainly way more central than it was when we were kids. I grew up in North Burnaby, which which was the center of everything in my mind, you know, the greatest place on earth. But you know, things have changed, and it's more so with the Surrey for people who are just tuning in the new Surrey Arena. We're not sure when it's going to be completed, but the Giants are.
Speaker 1: Going to move there. What teah, It's going to take three.
Speaker 4: Or four years at the LEEC for now year and Michael Dick, a GM new GM and head coach of the Giants, will join us on tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Show that does look outstanding. You have to be honest. That's going to becoming a suriy in a few years is pretty impressive. Well, Donny and Donny this summer going to bonding trip down the North Thompson River are better yet the Hell's Gates rapids down the Fraser that's from DS. You remember Hell's Gate?
Speaker 1: Uh? Yeah, of course, Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: We used to take the Greyhound to Kamloops to Hope that way. Look at this, shaking your head across the room before the Coca high left for kids like uh, before the Coca Hila guys like Donnie and I. If you want to go to Kamloops, you had to take the Greyhound to Hope that way? Ryan, what what were highway the Cocaila anyways? Listen, isn't that in red Wine?
Speaker 1: Okay? But Ryan, why do you shake your head? Baby? Have you ever gone down that way right? Ever?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 1: The other way one? The Highway one?
Speaker 4: You've never gone to Boston Bar.
Speaker 1: And Hell's Gate? Oh the way We used to go to the okanag when we were kids. But it was it was scary as hell. That trip in a car was scary as hell. Highway one.
Speaker 5: But and then we'd end up at where we end up the first town, cash Creek, cost Creek.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, those were the day.
Speaker 5: Better times, better times, better time.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's take your break. We wrap up the show in the poll question, the watering Dog poll question. Next, Donny thell the team check, three foot hot Dogs, postgame fireworks, Friday noonters and the future Toronto Blue Jays right in your backyard. Catch a Vancouver Canadians game this summer as they celebrate seventy five years at nap Bailey Stadium. For tickets, promotions and more information, visit Canadians Baseball dot com or call six oh four eight seven to two, five two three two Today.
Speaker 1: Doug Poll, Doug doc pull, Rick, Ryan get her up, Waterlin Dog pop pole question.
Speaker 5: Do you agree with Ryan Johnson's decision to emphasize grit size and toughness when it comes to building that Vancouver roster?
Speaker 1: Eighty six percent say yes, but fourteen percent say no.
Speaker 4: Those people probably want a little more speed and skill that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Yep. Absolutely, pictures photos where we're going right in a buffalo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is incredible. This is one of our loyal viewers. Paul from Beyond Basic Eyewear and his buddy gerv They've been going to the NHL Draft for quite some time and so he always sends us photos. He takes the D and D shirt on the road. So here's a selection of photos. On the far left, it's Caleberholt, of course, and then next to that our good pal Doug McClain. Next to that Canucks reporter Olivia McDonald, and then finally on the far right Lord Stanley and the Dolly.
Speaker 1: Shirt beyond Basic.
Speaker 3: Thank you to Paul for sending us the photos and thinking of us to take the shirt on the road like that.
Speaker 4: I bet at that I was not the nineteen ninety NHL Draft, and oh yeah we were, and of course the twenty nineteen. But it's fun. It's a fun thing to do, is go down there, check it out. We might not think of it as an entertainment experience, but it's great. It was like, you have to be a hardcore hockey fan to enjoy it, but it's fun.
Speaker 3: It was like six here or O nine or something like that. Somewhere somewhere in that neighborhood is when I went to with my family. It's it.
Speaker 1: You get the vibe and you're like three.
Speaker 3: You don't need to be there for like ten hours because it does kind of okay, right, but I love though.
Speaker 4: And I can't remember his name or Moniker, but the people on sports that got the kid. And I say that because he's much younger than I am, who is taking notes. Yeah throughout the whole draft like a hockey nerd.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, really good.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 3: The second photo we got here is from our good pal, brook Ward brook Ward, my good pal.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: What's the cat's name again? I don't remember snuggles.
Speaker 5: I don't know that Donnie he had a name spot Spot, not spot. But anyways, our good pal brook Ward Smudge eh Sma, sma Smudge. Yeah he named his cats smudge.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Okay, So Brooke worked with Donnie and I at n W when Donnie was there for six weeks. But anyways, look at this Smudge the cat watching Donnie and Dolly Brooke Wards cat.
Speaker 1: We're good. I just come one more quickly.
Speaker 3: This is Ashley, my my buddy or my uncle Glenn. Okay, here what you guys met? Okay, this is his best buddy, Ashley from down the I five massive fan of the show. And he's got the d D shirt down in Seattle, Washington State.
Speaker 4: Ashley, I guess I insulted a lot of people, judging by the inbox here and Basie inbox by saying North Burnaby is the greatest.
Speaker 1: Part of Vancouver. But you know my apologies. I guess you know it's one day they'll learn.
Speaker 3: Do people know your history and everything?
Speaker 1: I mean, come on, I don't think so.
Speaker 4: Okay, thanks for watching, folks, I'll be half of Ryant, Derek Rick, everybody here at oh Boy and check.
Speaker 1: I'm done.
Speaker 4: You up to dating world sports.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast, asked. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dolly for all the latest showed content.