Speaker 1: You're listening to Why we do what we do? Welcome to Why we do what we do Mini. I'm your host Abraham and I'm your host Shane. We are a psychology podcast. We talk about the things that humans and non human animals do, and we do it in a mini form, which means it's short. We're gonna try and get into our topic, get out of there in about fifteen minutes or less. I'll let you get about your day. And that's what we do. And sometimes in these minis we talk about the popular things that humans celebrate about each other in limited quantities. I guess is how I'm gonna put that. Yes, And if you're joining us for the first time, then welcome. I hope you enjoy what you hear in this discussion, and if you're coming back, then welcome back. And I'm glad that you continue to find joy and the things that we make. And either way, if you'd like to support us, so you can leave us a rating and review, like subscribe, tell a friend, or join us on Patreon, and I'll talk more about those things that you can do to support us at the end of this discussion. But you find yourselves here and we appreciate that, and it's a mini which means we should jump into it. Is there anything I'm missing or you'd like to add before we begin today? Note not today beautiful, So we begin. We are talking today about music, specifically a type of music one called a one hit wonder. This refers to an artist who has, Conceptually, here we're talking about a single, huge mainstream success hit in the form usually of a song. After this hit, they fail to achieve similar success and often will kind of disappear. So they some song of theirs gets very very popular. It flares up very bright. They're very well known for that song. That's the last anyone really hears about them in the popular spaces they once occupied because of that song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they quickly become someone you used to know. A snaps, well done, STAPs snaps.
Speaker 3: There you go. So, how does this happen?
Speaker 2: Well, I was trying to research this, and it's a huge complex system of taste makers and capitalism and all those things, and artists integrity and all that, but it's mostly general trends in what could be described as an extremely competitive market. There are lots of metrics, including the Billboard Hot one hundred. We did a whole episode on Billboard, which I think is really valuable and important. But we do need a little bit more history here to understand the current music industry in order to understand how one hit wonders actually develop.
Speaker 1: Love history perfect. So, pre World War Two, just even recording and putting out music was a lot more challenging than it is today. By Miles and Miles, musicians would often act as singles artists. Now why would they do this, Well, it's a lot cheaper to record a single where you only have one track or maybe two tracks because one to two and release it that way than to record an entire album. It takes less time in the studio, it takes less space and a record. But in the nineteen fifties, with the emergent of record charts such as the Billboard, society began to quantify what a one hit wonder actually was, began to create a context by which it's like, well, there's something important in here about the fact that we attached the value of something to the artists who created it, and then therefore what they create, that thing that's created is known as being important and relevant to that artist, And so if they make more things, then we can attribute those again to that artist, and if they don't make things that achieve that level of acclaim and fame, then we sort of write them off as they got the one thing in the sauce and then that was kind of their one trick.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the general consensus is that when somebody has only one Billboard Top forty hit, and that's kind that's the main criteria that I've seen a bunch of times. Is it a Billboard Top forty hit god When they've had only one and failed to have another, Even if they have popular songs and it doesn't reach that level, they get this status of one hit wonder. It's arbitrary, and I think it's really important to stay it up front. It's completely arbitrary. But that being said, the timeline for when their next hit is not agreed upon. So technically someone could have a hit on the charts forty years later and negate that definition. They could have a huge hit in you know, let's say the eighties, and then they come all the way back into the twenty twenties and they have a hit then, and technically they're not a one hit wonder. But you know, at this point in time, it's an arbitrary title.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they would have spent so long as a one hit wonder, they'd kind of been known that way, even if they were no longer a one hit wonder.
Speaker 3: I think exactly exactly, Okay.
Speaker 1: The main culprit for trying to understand, like how this happens, what's going on here, because presumably you want to invest in someone who's going to turn out hit after hit after hit, and therefore you can have like a reliable money making machine in the form of someone who just records these these hits that go out into the world and people buy up that thing. But the main culprit for making one hit wonders is simply that the recording industry is highly competitive between current trends, artist personalities, record label support, public behavior. An artists may become rapidly popular and then just fizzle out soon afterward. And I do think, as you mentioned the beginning, like there is a huge, huge amount I think people don't recognize of Like if you like music that plays on the radio, you like stuff that's popular, there's like a really really good chance that some producer was like I chose this, that people are going to like this because I chose it. I control this market. I control what you get to hear. I control what you like. You like it because I told you you like it, deal with it, and then you give me money, and I keep doing this to you. And so some of them they give up on that artist and they are just no longer willing to push them anymore, or sometimes they for whatever reason. You know that artists just can't connect with another's version of the hit. But that's essentially the I think. A thing to remember and consider when we're talking about these is like, how much of the time, if you're like popular music, someone's pulling the strings for you to like that popular music. They're controlling that for you. You're making no choices in this arena.
Speaker 2: Right, And it's it's even worse with like algorithms and stuff too, Like now that's now that's turning into a whole different thing. That's like making it so that certain songs reach certain levels and other ones get suppressed and all that stuff. But you know you're a real one hit. Wonder if your song is used like thirty forty fifty years later in a commercial or an ad.
Speaker 3: All Right, So we're talking about the.
Speaker 2: Incredibly complex contingencies by which somebody becomes a one hit wonder. It requires the artist to make a song, It requires a record label to usually get on with the song. It requires a pr team, It requires radio, it requires advertising, It requires all these things. But there are other situations where this does happen. So in some instances, a hit may emerge following the death of an artist, like big boppers, Chantilly Lace or Shantilly Lace, and other instances, the breakup of a band quickly following some slight success can boost a song into the stratosphere. And that's like if you've ever heard You Get What You Give by New Radicals, that is an example. They broke up before that song became super popular and that is like their hit.
Speaker 3: So there's lots of other things that can boost up songs. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: One reason we saw on our research is that an artist with a big hit may not have been the original writer. And this is actually again fairly common that artists will essentially buy music and then they perform it and they get to claim it as their own because they bought it, but it wasn't actually something that they wrote. And who cares, because the point is that they get to make money, And that's what this is. This is the industry. It's about that the Hitcharden may have been a cover song and may have been written credited to another artist or a writer or a producer. They'll have people kind of ghostwrite some of these. Sometimes they'll buy them off writers, and subsequent songs written by the actual artists might not have the same catchiness or novelty or the things that made that first hit a success. They're not bringing to the table because they got it from elsewhere.
Speaker 3: Right exactly.
Speaker 2: So they leverage something that is like the talent of somebody else, and then they can't just they just can't do the same thing. They can't replicate it. Artists have also come to hate the original hit song that they've recorded, like that's been their popular hit, like I don't know Canson, and so they do everything they can to rewrite their band and their preferred image.
Speaker 3: So Chumbawamba is a really great example of this.
Speaker 2: You might know the song tub Thumping because it was all over the place in ninety nine seven. Do you remember that, Like you just couldn't go anywhere without hearing that, and like spice Girls, Oh my god. But what you might not know is that the band wrote the song as a joke. It was not meant to be a hit. It was not meant to be anything other than a joke. Because they were an anarcho punk band that started in nineteen eighty two and were widely considered influential in the anarcho punk band scene, like in that space, and they were very loud animal rights activists. Just for a reference, so you all know. Their last release was an EP called Immemorium Margaret Thatcher that they'd recorded and set for pre orders in two thousand and five. They recorded in two thousand and five because they were like, when she dies, we're gonna release this, and they didn't release it until the day she died, and they quoted it as saying it was a part of a quote segment of celebrations. Wow Chumbawama, I get knocked down, but I get up again. Yeah, is an anarcho punk band and tub Thumping was a weird one hit wonder song that they just didn't really they didn't really care about.
Speaker 3: They're like, we could I bet we could do this.
Speaker 1: Eh, that is wild that's in wildness mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: A point of note here, artists generally do not like being called one hit Wonders, right. Why Well, because this would suggest that they were defined by a single piece of work, not their entire body of work. As you said, a lot of times, I actually have a lot of successful tracks, I get very popular, they just don't quite make it into that top forty slot. And so even if all of their tracks have really successful singles off of them, if they don't get quite to the same point they're like, dude, we're like, we've been a touring band for twenty years. We sell out shows, we sell merch, we sell albums, like we're doing great. Calling is the one that Wonders seems a little unfair, you know, uh huh, Yeah, that definitely happens to a few of them. Actually, it's been Doctors an EXAs this where they're pretty much known for their one track, but they actually had a bunch of songs that you actually probably recognized many of them, yeah, because they actually were they were a group for a long time doing their thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean Third Eye Blind is an example too, Like, I mean, I wouldn't say they were one hit wonder because they've had a couple other hits, but like most of their hits come from their first album, and they've had multiple albums since then that are really good. Ever Clear is another one too that had like a couple really good hits, but they've got great albums beyond those records. Yeah, so I think it's really important to I mean, maybe that's just like relevant to us.
Speaker 3: But so also this term.
Speaker 2: Is an exclusive to music. This happens with movies and books too, and there are some notable examples, like the director of Donni Darko, Richard Kelly hasn't really had a successful movie since Donnie Darko. He has directed some things, but that was big, his big thing, and that was his debut movie.
Speaker 1: Duncan Jones, director of moon Man. That movie was good. Yeah, Wow, moon was so good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Interesting. So apparently got that one out there and then hasn't been able to land anything quite a successful since.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Hanks the actor is considered a directorial one hit wonder because he really only directed that Thing You Do to success. Everything else that he's done has not really reached that level. And that Thing You Do is great.
Speaker 1: Actually never seen that.
Speaker 3: I need to Oh Space, it's so good, it's so good. Paul W.
Speaker 1: S Anderson not to be confused with Paul Thomas Anderson. Very different different, yes, very different act.
Speaker 3: Yes it is.
Speaker 1: He directed Event Horizon and the Resident Evil series, so yeah, also falls in that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his only good movie being Event Horizon is the point of that one, right, yeah? Yeah, Resident Evil fun not good. This happens with books too. So Margaret Mitchell, the author of Gone with the Wind really only put out one book. Mary Shelley, the author of Frankenstein, really isn't known for any of her other works, if they exist. Emily Bronte is another one, for Wuthering Heights. She Again, these are folks that have a body of work, but they're pretty they're not as well known as like these particular works.
Speaker 1: Oscar Wilde, author author of Picture of Dorian Gray. Anthony Burgess, author of a Clockwork Orange good book too. Yeah, them leaving out the final chapter of that book from the movie I think was not the best choice.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: And then finally Ken Kesey Kessey Casey, author of One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest also sort of again only known for the one thing that they.
Speaker 2: Did right, kind of wild I mean, But so I think the point is is, like, there are lots of contingencies that lead to this, but at the end of the day, there's no true one like one true cause it's just kind of like lightning in a bottle type of situations. And it's unfortunate because these artists are doing good work and really putting out incredible things beyond that one particular piece, and many times they don't like it, So be nice to them.
Speaker 3: One Hit Wonders, it's that nice.
Speaker 1: If you'd like to sell us your thoughts on One Hit Wonders, you can email us directly info WWDWWD podcast dot com and would you look forward to hearing from you. You can also reach us on the social media platforms. If you like to support us, give us all the stars, leave us a nice review, and you can tell a friend and make them like and subscribe. You like and subscribe so that you catch all of our episodes, and you can join us on Patreon. You get early episodes, add free episodes, bonus content, and I'll read your name in our list of supporters at the end of our full length discussions. And it really helps us be a podcast. So we do appreciate everyone over there. Thank you so much to my team of people. Thank you for recording with me today, Shane and your awesome job putting together these notes.
Speaker 3: Hey, thanks for having me and let me do it.
Speaker 1: Thank you all for listening. Is there anything you would like to add or that I forgot before we wrap up?
Speaker 3: Nothing for today? All right? Then, this is Abraham and this is Shane.
Speaker 1: Why We Do What We Do Mini is out.
Speaker 3: Bye.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to Why We Do What We Do. You can learn more about this and other episodes by going to WWD wwdpodcast dot com. Thanks for listening and we hope you have an awesome day.
Speaker 1: Mo